August 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: August 2013

Princess, I hope you use cast iron for your cooking.  It actually adds iron to your food!  Not to mention that it cooks your food like a dream.  So cook that juicy steak in a red hot sizzling well-seasoned cast iron pan.  Bake in a well seasoned cast iron pan, use a cast iron dutch oven, etc.  Lots of info on how to on the Internet...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

SS, so glad to see that you have posted again.  I concur with Kar, a little pain management is a good thing, maybe you can combine it wtih a string around your finger to remnd you not to do too much....maybe you just take it so you get good sleep.  As Shakespeare said "Sleep...that knits up the raveled sleeve of care" helps us heal our bodies and our minds. 

As a matter of fact, I was up and out early today, teaching and I taught tonight as well so I had an after noon nap which I sorely needed.  I am still functioning at 9:30 which I would not have been without that nap!

Winter, sounds as if your trip was a success and a nice mix of fun and learning.  Now you are back and energized to get ready for the new school year. Paper, notebooks, pencils, highlighters - don't you love new school supplies? But  I am dreading the beginning of the year; already my calendar is filling up and I have events scheduled through next August.  Ugh.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Ss, nice to hear from you. PC, glad you are home, but hope they can get your iron worked out. I too think you should have a nice juicy steak. We are having steak and french fries for dinner tonight. Hats, speaking of school supply lists. This is the shortest it's been. First time there are no crayons, markers or colored pencils on it! Two new additions, pens (with erasers) and a highlighter.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning

Last day before more company, my folks will be here tomorrow through Saturday.  The big plan for todsy is to dive back into canning with peach preserves.  Looking forward to using the new stove for this venture.  And, of course, clean and laundry.  Oh, and DH said half a bushel of peaches should be picked today, as well.

Gracie is continuing to heal and even used the restroom first thing this morning like normal instead of holding it due to knee pain.  Still no rash and no licking so no cone.  Her hair is growing back nicely; no skin shows even though it's not as long as usual...harder to notice.

I think Mom and I will can some green tomato salsa for them to take home.  Lots of green toms out there.  Or, pickled hot peppers, pickled summer squash...whatever they want.  That will be fun, and Dad likes to read, watch TV...he's not very active, although, he'd disagree, lol.  I'm hoping DH has a woodworking project in mind to do with him.  They had so much fun building the canning cabinet last year.  DH was going to install the hood with Dad, but upon researching the installation process he decided it was a one-man job that would be far too involved to be a fun bonding experience.

They usually want to go to TJ's.  not sure what else we'll do...play it by ear, I guess.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Terrible night's sleep, or lack of one, so didn't get up until 8:00.  It's ridiculous that one cup of caffeine in the morning can keep me from steady sleep at night.  There definitely is a difference when I have that instead of decaf tho.  Gives me a nice boost in the morning to get all I want done, but 3 nights of little sleep takes its toll too, so back to decaf this morning.

Got a nice visit from Little Miss Fluffy last night.  She hasn't come up here in over a year, at least not during daylight hours so that I have seen her.  Think she and Harry have something worked out.  They visit Cat Lady's about the same time each day, she for her warmed milk at night.  Harry appeared at supper here yesterday and I gave him some kibble.  He only ate a little and walked away.  About an hour later when I was going to the door to bring the dish in to wash, ambling up the walk came beautiful little delicate Miss Fluffy Short Legs.  I had to back up out of her view, she's very skiddish.  Sure enough, he had left it for her, and she finished it off.

Your plans of things to do with your Mom, sound great, Kargiver.  I always enjoyed putting up tomatoes, peaches (we had 2 trees), with my mother.  Still see in my mind's eye us standing side by side at the stove, and me having her double check to be sure I had done the seal on the jars right.  We tried making the pickles from my Great Aunt's recipe, well recipe of sorts, "a handful of this, a pinch of that, about half a handful of the other", but what a poor result we got compared to her delicious ones, a jar of which we always came home from Maine with.

I am famished this morning.  Will make some choc chip pancakes and a cup of DECAF coffee to go with.  Going out this morning.  Plans with my cousin for tomorrow have been cancelled.  A friend of her niece's is coming to town and she wants to be included in the visit with her.  So, other than an appt. Friday, a slow week for me.

Hope you all have a good day.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mom and I canned tomato sauce last year and it is a fond memory.  She raised me alone and didn't enjoy or do any cooking she didn't have to do let alone can.  So, we are making those memories now in my kitchen - life is funny, isn't it.  I enjoyed your reminiscing, tt, about canning with your mom.  "A little of this and that" is impossible for me to reproduce, as well - grandma knew what she was doing...me, not so much, lol.  I better stick to tested recipes!  I did find one that produced green tom pickles just like I remember my grandmother's she had made with her mother in Maine, as well.

Too bad about your caffeine induced poor nights' sleep - I have that problem, too, but only if I have it after noon...still earlier than it bothers most people.  I hope you won't have a headache for having decaf like I would.  If I didn't love coffee SO much I'd ditch it for all the potential aggrevation I go through for it.

Harry and Fluffy definitely are in kahoots. :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, the preempted (due to the Whitey Bulger verdict) Dr. Phil is on now on WSBK (channel 8 in Charter) right now...

ETA:  I think it's a rerun, though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I have to jump in the shower and be out of here by 10:00.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Have a good day tt.

- Darth Vadar

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's a boring rerun, anyway.  I changed it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Sorry you are having such bad nights, tt. I have joined you plenty of times, unfortunately. But I honestly don't believe, it is your cup of caffeinated cuppa in the morning, that is the reason. There are plenty of other foods, that can keep you awake at night.
    Chocolate f.ex. have more caffeine than a cup of coffee ounce per ounce. And if you have a salad with raw veggies for lunch, they are still digesting, long after you pull the covers. Sweets at night is another problem. If I have a bowl of ice cream or dessert after 8 pm, I will have difficulties falling asleep and a very restless night. Have a banana just before you tuck in. It has plenty of Magnesium, that will make the sleep hormone Serotenine for you to have a good night's sleep. Camomille tea and warm milk has never been proven to help sleepless nights, but a lot of people swear by it.
    Have a happy visit w/ your parents, Kar. Sounds like you have planned a lot of activities. So envious of you picking your own peaches. The ones I buy at the grocery stores don't stay well. They get mushy, before you know. Pickled green tomatoes are delicious. Unfortunately, one cannot buy green tomatoes. Such a shame. I used to do them every year from the harvest, that would never ripen and they were a must for our Thanksgiving Dinner. This year I didn't plant tomatoes, so no pickled tomatoes.
    Princess, good to hear from you. I do hope they find something to make you better. You have been going through so much, and still you think positively. Bless you for that.
    Glad to see your post, SS - but so sorry, you are still in a lot of pain. I agree w/ everyone else that suggest, that a painkiller once in a while its not going to make you an addict. If you get a good night's sleep, it is a wonderful healer.
    Have a good day everyone.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pain in and of itself hinders healing; cortisol, a stress hormone released in response to pain, causes more inflammation...and more pain, a vicious cycle.

Pingo, our peaches go bad fast, too, hence the canning today!  Anything that hasn't been genetically modified to not rot as fast as nature intended does go by fast.

Speaking of which, we'll be going back to hybrid tomatoes next year - these heirlooms are a mess.  Cracked, worm infested, low yield.  Yup, that's why we changed them in the first place.  Oh, well, DH got the heirloom experiment out of his system and it was the only way to find out for sure.

Why no toms this year, Pingo?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

No tomatoes this year, Kar, b/c we had a virus in our tomatoes last year. They looked nice, red and ripe, but when I picked them, they turned into liquid. I didn't know, how to deal with the fungus infected soil and didn't want to go through the care of the plants, only to find the same thing happening again. 
    We probably have to remove all the soil and start over again with fresh dirt. Any suggestions?

- Eleanor Roosevelt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Heavy band of rain coming our way. It is probably raining out your way already, Kar. The yards needs it.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, gosh, I know DH rotates our crops' positions in the garden to avoid those issues as much as possible, but I'm hardly the expert around here.  I'll ask DH when he gets home.  

You could try the hanging tomato growers; those produce well from what I hear...too late this year, of course, but something to consider for next.  How many plants did you typically grow?

ETA:  yes, it's been raining here about an hour, I think...not too hard, though

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

We usually have 10 plants. Not a lot, but enough for us. Since I am not canning or preserving like you, we just want to have freshly, sunripened tomatoes to pick, while the season is ongoing. And then of course the green tomatoes to pickle. 
    We did consider the hanging plants, but figured the set up w/ watering etc. wasn't worth our trouble. I buy the Campari Tomatoes and the extra sweet cherries at the grocery store, and they sustained us this summer. Actully didn't miss the weeding and watering. LOL

- Eleanor Roosevelt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

10 plants produces a lot of tomatoes!  I'm sure I wouldn't miss the tending; I'm spoiled to have him want to do all that himself!

Canning vanilla maple peach preserves right now.  Misread the recipe to say "pints" instead of what it really said, "half pints."  Whoops...wondered why I only had enough for two jars when the recipe said 4 or 5.  Yeah, I would have had 5, darn it!  What a waste of hot water and gas for TWO pints...grr.  Oh, well, I got back into canning and it went ok other than that.  It's still nerve wracking given I've only got one season behind me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

10 plants produces a lot of tomatoes!  I'm sure I wouldn't miss the tending; I'm spoiled to have him want to do all that himself!

Canning vanilla maple peach preserves right now.  Misread the recipe to say "pints" instead of what it really said, "half pints."  Whoops...wondered why I only had enough for two jars when the recipe said 4 or 5.  Yeah, I would have had 5, darn it!  What a waste of hot water and gas for TWO pints...grr.  Oh, well, I got back into canning and it went ok other than that.  It's still nerve wracking given I've only got one season behind me.

Get your friend over the one who came last year, and have a "canning" day.  Just someone there to ask, "Do you think I should, it means - - - -? "

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's the plan, tt, but she lives an hour away, and I didn't expect the peaches to be ready so soon.  Suddenly had a bunch that were ripe I had to deal with immediately.  It's hard to plan ahead because the crops come at random times and who knows when I'll have enough ripened stuff for a batch.  If she lived nearby it would be far easier.  My in-town friend is an experienced canner, but she works nights and sleeps late...the issues!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I guess you're on your own.  Try not to mess up!  haha

I, on the other hand, am going to make a tube cake out of pkg cake mix.  Then frost it with THICK chocolate frosting.  Dragging today, but I've been thinking of a slice of chocolate frosted cake and a big glass of milk for a couple of days now.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, I'll try!  

Cake sounds good - I'm dragging today, too.  Forced myself to do the peaches, now not feeling so great.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Talking about dragging - add me to the bunch. All I have managed today is to trim my hair. I needed it badly.

This is for you, tt. I just got it in my e-mail. Apparently it is still going around. Maybe it will get you out of the hum-drum. Hope it posts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=mz3CPzdCDws

- Eleanor Roosevelt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, that gave me a smile, Pingo.  Thanks.   I have that saved on my computer, but hadn't pulled it up for a few weeks.  Love that video.  I got that email the other day too, only something else was highlighted, and as I scanned, I saw the Rita Hayworth video was on the same page.

Cake is cooling, waiting to make the frosting.  Lasagna again tonight, then that's it.  Managed to change the bed and bring some clothes up out of the dryer to fold (not done yet).  That's about it this afternoon.  Know there is some program on Bravo tonight that I want to watch.  Hope it comes on at 9:00, not 10:00.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Why is the second day back from vacation worse than the first, my goodness. I'll be heading out soon. Sorry about the peaches Kar. tt, I'll be over in 30 minutes for some cake. :) I'm dragging today myself. Have a good night.

- Darth Vadar

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It's like jet lag, Winter, only called, "vacation lag" !

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

Sections
Shortcuts