August 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

August 2014

Good morning,

Ladies it is August now! Kargiver and tt posted on the July thread - please go and check.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: August 2014

Morning again!

Don't know, what happened. I was typing along, and suddenly my post went into some kind of coding. Have you girls have that happened to you?

Anyway, Alf has something nice to say on the July thread too.

tt, I am so happy for you, that you had a great time in Kittery. Sorry to hear some of the stores have closed. I think with the Wrentham Mall and the new Merrimack Mall, Kittery has a lot of competition. Wrentham and Merrimack are both outside strip malls, but they have lots of parking. You just park, then go on with your business. In Kittery, where the Outlets are spread out, one have to keep crossing that busy Rt. 1.
    We have done a lot of shopping in Kittery over the years. But we do find that Merrimack and Wrentham are both much more customer friendly. And driving time is just the same.

Alf, thanks for the link. This is the way DH and I want to eat our lobsters. In the rough. Unfortunately most customers going to Kittery are not apt to think of bringing their own whatever. They want to shop and put something in their belly as well. 

I have so much to do today, that I don't know, where to begin. Our CPA wants more info, so I need to go to the office to get that for her. Then we just found out, that our neighbor, who watches our home, while we are away, just had a GD. Their daughter is living w/ them. Don't know why, and I don't want to ask. So I need to get a gift for them. I was planning to have a pedicure today, but I don't think that will happen.

Anyway, happy August.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gracious, I do it every month, what is wrong with me?!  LOL!!

ALF, so good to have you back!  Omgosh, if you don't mind, I'll live vicariously through you, OK?  We will be gardening, cooking, and cleaning...just not that exciting!

Although, how's this for exciting, I'm trying boiling down the whey from 3 batches of ricotta to see if another kind of cheese results...I've read it does, and we'll see.  Still very watery right now.

Happy August, and thanks to Pingo for prodding us latecomers. :)

ETA: I've seen the HTML code in the posting box before and know that if I try to post with it in that state it all goes poof.  But, I've never had it change mid_stream_, weird.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

(And, _stream_ is still a bad word?)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, have you had the Norwegian cheese, gjetost?  That's what I'm attempting to make with the leftover whey from a goat ricotta and two cow milk ricottas.

http://radmegan.com/2012/01/homemade-gjetost-norwegian-goat-cheese.html

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I did write a post over in July in between ALF, Kar, and tt...but hello August. I was just email the 8th grade supply list and discovered that two new students were joining the class, well one really the girl was here in 4th and 5th grade.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing

- Darth Vadar

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Time to flip the page AGAIN on the calendar?!!  Seems as tho I just did that a week ago!

Alf, thanks for the mention of the restaurant, I couldn't get in on your site, but did google it and it looks great.  Will definitely keep that in mind next time we're heading up there.  Should also mention that the new name of Bosn's is York River Landing.  Something else I wanted to say about the outlets, thought of it while I was cleaning the bathroom, but it's gone now -  Oh, I know, we also used to go to Capt. Simeon's, but googling that I see that had changed hands 2 years ago (a lot happened in those 2 years since I've been there!) and now those owners are closing, or closed.  Kargiver, I'm not aware of LL Bean ever being at Kittery, at least not at the outlets.

Haven't tried the merrimac mall, Pingo, tho my cousin has been there.  Wrentham, I'm not fond of, not really stores I shop in - think our next try will be back up to Tilton.  When we vacationed at Weirs we always took one day to drive there (a nice drive from the Lake) and there was a great sheet place there.  I'll google and see if it's still there.  We aren't much into the clothes shopping stores, both of us have more than we can wear.  I miss Liz Claiborne.  The stuff carried under her name now at J.C. Penney is garbage, not the style previously.

Back up and at em before the energy fizzles out.  If I missed anybody, I'll be double checking next time I sit down.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes, Kar, I did have Gjetost. Sorry, I hate it! I don't like the taste, I don't like the consistency and I don't like the color of it. Well, actually, I don't like anything about it. Hope you and DH like it, so all your work will not be in vain.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Must be thinking of another Beans outlet store...I get all those places confused.  It is amazing how much things change in a couple of years.

Funny, Pingo! Well, it's too late, now, haha! I wonder if I could hide it in other recipes if we don't like it straight.  Seems like it's going to be quite salty.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Here is the post from the July thread I wrote this morning:

Good morning everyone. tt, sounds like you had a wonderful day yesterdy, your lunch is making me hungry; guess I need to go make that oatmeal. What are your plans today. DS has a classmate moving to Florida next weekend and he had invited over to swim tomorrow, doesn't look like swimming will happen, but I'm sure they can play Xbox. We didn't go to the Flea Market last Sunday because of the rainy forecast so hopefully my DB and SIL are going this Sunday. I've found some toys still in the boxes, never opened to add to the clothes. What is everyone else doing this weekend?

- Darth Vadar

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kargiver, I give you do a lot of credit to try out new recipes to make Gjetost. I am really, REALLY anxious to know, how you and DH likes it.  Me and DH just don't care for it. 
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, the boys might get a couple of swims in before rain tomorrow.

Right now, no plans here for the week-end.  My family is a last minute bunch tho, so you never know.

Kargiver, I had wanted to reply to your mention of tired eyes.  Yes, indeed, tired eyes yesterday, too tired for Spite and Malice even!  As soon as I get the good results back from the Humphries, I'll get the latest script for glasses filled.  That's my rationale for procrastination - if I have to start drops, might change script -  - 

Had tried a couple of days ago to change avatar but it wouldn't let me.  Now I've lost the pic I was going to use, so I'll step out and take another and give it a shot.

ETA:  Had to laugh, looking at my posts this morning - I'm every hour on the hour - well quarter to the hour -

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, too bad for DS a friend is moving so far away. so much easier to keep up over the miles, now, tho, if they want.  When I moved to FL in 4th grade that was it for my old life in Maine left behind.

tt, I wonder if driving won't be such a drain after your eyes are taken care of.  You must be in a rhythm this morning. :)

Pingo, I'm glad to say it's not much work, just boiling it down to a creamy paste.  So, if it's inedible, all I've really lost is whey I could have used some other...whey.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

The classmate is a girl. :) Just friends. Today it's easier to keep in touch with texting and email. Guess she has school in a couple of weeks.

- Darth Vadar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Yearly, or at the minimum,  every 2 years, eye exams are important.  I would go by what your dr recommends.

Upgrade those eyeglasses/ prescriptions.  I have friends that go into denial mode, they think that they don't need glasses, lol.

It is painful to watch them squinting to read the menu when we get together for lunch.  Silly, another vanity thing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The classmate is a girl. :) Just friends. Today it's easier to keep in touch with texting and email. Guess she has school in a couple of weeks.

- Darth Vadar
    [/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

All my friends were guys when I was his age.  Not sure why, just worked out that way.  Anyway, yeah, if they want to keep up it will be like she never left.  Technology...cool stuff.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That's such a hard age to uproot - new school, etc. with none of your old friends for support.  Nice if they do keep in touch. 

Been kind of hanging around in case pumpkin should stop by, I know he sees his grandma today, but I'm getting hungry, and don't want to smell up the house with cooking asparagus - 10 more minutes and then it's going in the pan.

Saw my rabbit yesterday when I got home - really hop hop hopping in the yard as tho he were on a spring.  It was so cute.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm sure they wouldn't mind the your cooking your lunch, tt - does it really smell that bad, lol?

This "cheese" sure is interesting!  I would call it an intensely salty but sweet caramel; it even sticks to my teeth like taffy!  I could see putting a drop on chocolates in place of sea salt.  Definitely a dessert ingredient in my estimation, not a cheese to add to a cheese plate.  Although, I could see eating it on fruit like gjetost apples instead of actual caramel.  I like it, actually, but it is extremely different, not like any cheese I've ever had, and I've had a lot of cheeses.

ETA: omgosh, I'm officially addicted.  I dipped some dark chocolate into the hot, bubbly, caramelized gjetost and I can't stop...

Has anyone else tried gjetost?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I thought your rabbit had disappeared - maybe he was evading the hawk after all, tt.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Sorry to tell you, tt, that the sheet store is no more.  The Children's Place now lives in its old spot.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Chocolate and gjetost has become by defacto lunch...I can't stop, somebody help me......

What else is for lunch out there?  I hope healthier fare than I've chosen!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

How about cucumber and dill cottage cheese with a slice of pumperknickel bread, buttered?

Instead of cooking I ran out to S&S and OMG, the parking lot was full in the middle of the morning on a Friday. They must be raking in millions from the additional M.B. customers.  

Have to cook up the asparagus today, it's been sitting in the fridge too long, but by the time I got home I was absolutely famished, had missed half of Y&R, so I just grabbed the cottage cheese container and a fork and hit the front room and the TV.  Bread was an after thought, as was the glass of milk, and few crumbly animal crackers left in a bag.

Oh, Novem, I was afraid of that.  I loved that store.  No point in running up there then, we really don't shop the shops, we like the kitchen stores, book stores, altho I think there's another Eddie Bauer up there, is that still there?

Kargiver, that is a very strange lunch you're having.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Yes, both Eddie Bauer and the kitchen store are still there.  There is also a Talbots now.  =)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That sounds like a refreshing lunch, tt.  If the asparagus is gone by, maybe a soup would be good tonight.  Just blend with a little chicken stock, splash of cream (optional), and seasoning.

yes, this was not my original lunch plan, hahaha, but I can't stop eating the chocolate dipped in salty golden yumminess. 

ETA: Nov, I love EB.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks.  It's a thought, I know being so close to Weirs we'd want to drive down there too, and then I'd be right in the middle of what I don't want to do, driving too much in one day that is tiring to me now.  I'll put that whole thought on the back burner and just see what happens.

Bought a bunch of stuff to fill a goody bag for one of my sons whose birthday is next week - Slim Jims, pumpkin seeds, pistachios, hot salsa and a bag of cup shape toastitos.  If I can find a paperback under $10 (!!! imagine?) I'll put that in too.  Always like to give them something besides the card with $$ or gift card.  Everyone likes something to open up.  Miss the Used Books stores - thre used to be one in the mall on Route 1 - I think there is still one in Danvers, but not sure.  Lots of times the books looked brand new with little wear and tear.

ETA:  Of course, they used to be $1 - no more.

Sections
Shortcuts