August 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: August 2014

They still make Slim Jims?   Wow, just, WOW!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Will he get the Caped Crusader bag?  Thoughtful collection.

I've been thinking about how to use this new discovery; decided to make a chocolate/gjetost drizzle for cheesecake.  SIL is having a pool party next weekend, and she always has quite the gourmet spread.  Pingo, I can't help but think you and DH would be surprised and like this - I wonder if it's different than store bought.  If I have a use in mind for it maybe I'll stop chowing it with plain chocolate like there's no tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Will your present supply keep until the pool party?  I think if you don't go into detail about what it's made of, everyone will try it and like it.  Then you can tell them - if they ask.

Yahoo!  Mail just came and a slip from the ophthalmologist's office - I thought, oh boy, this is bad news.  I just had the test 2 days ago, never get the results this fast, must say, script has been called into pharmacy for you for drops to begin using immediately - - - Nope.  "within normal limits."  The old eyes are hanging in there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just saw the part in your post about the Caped Crusader, Kargiver.  That's funny.  That bag still sits here, but unfortunately not a big enough bag to tote the toastitos, I do have a larger size in the white bags, and will begin scouting magazines for something zaney for him.  He has a good sense of humor and on the back I'll letter with the colored letters from Michael's : " XXXXXXXXXX's BAG "  My project for the week-end, to decoupage a man in his 50's a birthday bag!  LOL

Washed out an empty Bryer's Gelato box and that makes a nice little container to hold things in.  It's a good quality firm plastic, as is the cover.  For myself, so I'm not bothering to cover over the advertising, but that could be done also.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Last post from me today -

Well, who was asking about week-end plans, and what did I say about my family?  Just got this email from G.T.:

"I was wondering if you wanted to come out for lunch tomorrow. I will pick you up early and we can eat on the patio. You can see the garden and new piano. It seems that this is the only free weekend day that we have before our cruise. (Hard to imagine)"

How nice is that.  A lot of driving in one day for him.  I think he must love his old Mum.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think if anyone didn't know better they'd think it was salted caramel sauce with chocolate on top...no one will even ask, I bet.  But, if they do, it will be a special cheese on a cheesecake so it will still probably be well received.  It will keep (unless I eat it all) for a month in the fridge so it will still be perfect for the party.

Great news about your eyes!

Argh, we need the pic function back!  Would love to see the decoupaged box with name blurred, of course.  I'm sure it will be appreciated.  50 seems to be a popular age in my life right now!

How nice of GT!  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt that's great about your eye perscription. What are the drops for? Great that you are having lunch with G.T. He's so sweet to pick you up and drive you. He really does love his mom.

As stated before I have an eye condition and I need to wear hard contact lenses. I do have glasses for a back-up but I will never see as good in them, though I can pass the eye test at the registry. So because of the cruise, I should have glasses so if I'm near the pool or ocean I can just jump in. :) Got both pairs of glasses priced at my doctor and they were about $800 for the pair. My lenses alone are very expensive. I went to BJ's and they were having a 50% sale (even on lenses) and I was able to get both glasses and perscription sunglasses for $400. Didn't want to spend it, but glad that I'll have something for the trip. Don't want to spend my beach day squinting because I can't see. Also glad if something happens to one of my contacts that I'll be able to see. So if you need glasses anyone, check out BJ's.

---------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing 
    - Darth Vadar

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

"So if you need glasses anyone, check out BJ's." 

Good idea, but the frames I like are always $300+,  I recently got O&X titanium semi-rimless frames (not found at BJs)  so light that I forget I have them on!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, so glad you found that deal!!!  I know you need special lenses, but gosh, seems astronomical.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I am glad you like your caramel cheese, Kar. I have only had store bought, and it taste nothing like what you describe. I love salty caramels, so I should know. They probably mix in other things to keep it shelf stable.

That is a great price for glasses, Winter. DH got new prescription sunglasses last year from our eye doc tenant - $800. And he couldn't even use them. His $40 Costco of-the-rack sunglasses suits him much better. When DS was home for a break last year, he got a pair of glasses and a pair of prescription sunglasses at Costco for $280 total. It does pay to shop around. I am due for an eye examination. Need to make an appointment.

Nice surprise invitation to GT, tt. Sweet of him to drive all the way down to pick you up and bring you back. Lots of son/mother talk in the car.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, I'm relieved!  Mine didn't harden to the same consistency as what I found online; it's still on the runny side like warmed caramel.  I wish you could try it to compare it to what you've had before.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ran out to Dollar Store for a couple more things for the cruise bag and  woman in there came up to me and said, "Be very careful when you go out to your car, there are police from 3 communities looking for a would be carjacker.

Winter, the drops would have been if I had failed the Humphries, for glaucoma, which I don't have.

Have to go.  Have a cruise bag to make.  3 more weeks before they leave, so I had plenty of time to make theirs, until the invitation this afternoon!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I didn't know what "Humpries" was so thank you for that info. What treat are you putting in the bags? Oh dear that they are looking for a would be carjacker, hope they find him.
    I'll be heading out soon. Have a nice night everyone.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing

- Darth Vadar

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

A car hijacker in our peaceful neighborhood, tt? I guess one never knows. I did hear the helicopters circling very low earlier, but didn't think much of it. They do that often at that time checking the traffic on 128, 95 and Rt. 1.

So, how are you going to decorate the cruisers bags? I assume, you are making one for each of them. You will be busy tonight.

And btw. - just so you know, I am going to TX next week. Would be happy to get one of your care bags. Hint, hint, hint!

I already made one up for DH, to stick in his carry on. You inspired me to do so. But my "bag" is just a zip lock bag. Nothing as elaborate like yours.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Scary thought - I hope no one gets hurt before they catch the guy.

Walked Gracie, chatted with neighbor, scrubbed the caramelized cheese off the pot (ugh), and now must pick garden before DH gets home...hopefully soon.  Leftover stuffed zucchini and omelettes with the ricotta that didn't get used in the zucc filling.  Need to go grocery shopping tomorrow; my ricotta is the only cheese in the house and we have absolutely no fruit.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

In response to pingo's comment:

Anyway, Alf has something nice to say on the July thread too.

Alf, thanks for the link. This is the way DH and I want to eat our lobsters. In the rough. Unfortunately most customers going to Kittery are not apt to think of bringing their own whatever. They want to shop and put something in their belly as well. 

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Oh, Pingo! I don't care about the tourists! I care about you guys! ;-)

there is a wonderful little general store between the outlets and Chauncey Creek where you can get your beverages - adult and otherwise- and other types of food you want. It used to be called Frisbee's Market and was your old time general store [penny candy variety with really nice beer, wine, etc] but my google search now tells me the Enoteca people bought it. Enoteca was a little Italian specialty shop that also catered and was located closer to the outlets off Rt 1 when I lived there.  The food was out of this world.  It seems they have combined the wonderfulness of both places in the Old Frisbee Market. 

The plus side of this is that you get to take the Pepperell Road from the outlets, which hugs the coast, and get a really nice drive w/ pretty houses and cottages and view of the ocean.  The fastest way to get to Chauncey Creek from the outlets is down Haley Road, but Pepperell only adds a few extra minutes and it is a much more scenic drive.  Load up on your beverage of choice, cheese, crackers, dessert, etc and then head to Chauncey Creek for lobster and the like.  You will not be disappointed!

Home early b/c I had a dr appt.  Hit the Lowes on the way back.  Bought a bunch of annuals to replace the ones the stinkin' deer have eaten. I've been running a deer buffet. I have to move my planters closer to the house. I moved them in on the deck so the deer actually have to step on the deck to reach them and that cured the issue for a few weeks.  Some have apparently gotten bolder, so now I have to move the planters next to the house.  Hopefully that will be far enough away from munching mouths. There is plenty of foliage for them to eat.  Why can't they leave my buds alone!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Alf, I've been in Frisbee Market, it is right next to where Capt. Simeon's was.  The store is on the street, and Capt. Simeon's is right in back, on the water.  It's a great store.

Cruise Bag is made and decoupaged, drying, I hope.  I had already torn out a lot of pages with ideas of pictures and words I wanted to use, and went crazy for a few more in color to add pizazz.  So for theirs, I have two different word puzzle mags, pkg of mechanical pencils and pkg of pens, mints, 6pks of both peanut and plain M&Ms, pkg of animal crackers for those munchies in the middle of the night, ind. pkg of Kleenex, a Tide stain pen, 2 pkgs of trail mix, Twizzlers Bites, 2 different kinds of gum, and after all that - dental floss!  Not bad for most of it being pulled together today.

Won't be on in the morning, he expects to be here about 9:30, and there won't be any time for computer play.  Hope everyone has a good day, and Sunday, if I don't get to the computer then.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

That bag sounds great, tt. I will be leaving next Friday morning, when can I pick mine up?

Have an awesome day tmw. Unfortunately it is going to rain, but I don't expect the piano to be in the yard. Any of the guys play?

- Eleanor Roosevelt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

duplicate/delete

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Cute ideas for gifts you have, tt!  I love the addition of floss. :)

Damp morning...not much going on here.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Used Book Superstore is still in Danvers, in the MB mall on Endicott Street. I shop there all the time (UBSS).

http://www.usedbooksuperstore.com/stores#Danvers" rel="nofollow">http://www.usedbooksuperstore.com/stores#Danvers

Out beyond the ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there. -- Rumi

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Looks like everyone are busy. I know, tt is anxiously waiting to be picked up. Too bad it is not sunny. Would have been a nice drive out West.
    DH have a tennis game @ 9:30 - but it is drizzling, so I don't know if they will still play. He is getting ready anyway. They will probably try to play inside, if they can get a court.
    Just got an e-mail from UK son. He is at the airport leaving Crete to go to Barcelona for 4 days, before he flies back to UK. Tough life. The pictures he has send from Crete is just beautiful. Gorgeous beaches and blue, blue ocean.
    I will meet DH at the office after his game. Need to tackle some accounting due while we are away.
    Have a good Day everyone.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sprinkling on and off here, too.  Two of my brothers travel like that for work - I know, right?  Tough life!  I know it's work, but you do get some free time and it's all paid for!  One brother was in Africa last year and sent us a great video from their safari of lions padding along peacefully beside them.  I'd love to go to Crete; it looks so beautiful.  

I have vacation envy.  I feel like a prisoner to the garden especially since DH got away for two weeks.

GL at the office getting things squared away before your trip.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I meant to ask you, how did DH like your Gjetost?
    I was thinking about it, and the Gjetost we buy in Scandinavia, I believe, is made from boiling down whole milk goats milk. Fat and all. Not just the whey. You will get a similar product, if you boil down cows milk - or maybe even cows whey - the same way.
    And please do me a favor. Don't pronounce it as Google suggests. It is yet-oast - not yay-toast. Oh Lord! Big difference. You don't even need to put in an "a" in oast. Yet-ost will be even better. If you make the stuff, please pronounce it properly. Thanks!
    I often see translations and especially pronunciations, that make me cringe. This is one of them. LOL
    No wonder you English speaking people have a problem to be understood in Scandinavia, if you try their language. English will do, please. Thanks!

- Eleanor Roosevelt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks for helping me with the pronunciation!  I will do you proud, I promise. DH wouldn't care for it; he's not a salt fan, and that's what I do like about it most.  I like salted caramel chocolates, and that's what it reminded me of.  So, he hasn't tried it; he doesn't even remember that's what I was doing when he left for work yesterday.  I'll remind him next Friday when I make the cheesecake.

I've read that it can be made with whole goat milk, whole cows, a mixture, or just the whey of goat, cow, or both.  Usually the whey version has cream stirred in and cooked down near the end, too, but I didn't do that, just let the cow/goat whey reduce and caramelize.

ETA: the reason I made it was purely because I had half a gallon of whey left over from making the goat and cow ricotta so that's why I didn't use whole or add cream; just wanted to see what I could do with the by-product of making ricotta.  It came of my googling "whey recipes."