August 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: August 2014

Good early morning,

Fell into bed at 9:00, so tired, and slept til 4:30, laid there until 5:30 and still awake, so I'm up.  You see different things this early in the morning - a teenage boy wearing one of those orange reflective vests, walking by, picking up any litter he sees along the way, and putting it in a bag he's carrying !  Wonder if he's been assigned community service or is just doing it on his own ?  Will save my lawn guy some steps, he does the same thing when he mows the lawn, picks up anything that's been tossed by a passing car, and puts it in his truck barrel.

Winter, I can tell you are getting so excited about this trip.  That's  half the fun, the anticipation.  Good planning ahead of time makes for an even more enjoyable trip.

Today's is birthday boy's "day".  Not sure if he is working or not, but I'll put in a call mid morning and see if he's available for lunch, if not, at least get my "bag" over to him - -- this bag isn't going to be sitting on the shelf like my Caped Crusader one.  In fact, pumpkin is his grandson, so may just bring the Caped Crusader along with me.  I had wanted to see the little one's reaction to it, but I'd rather he at least have it than for me to have it here for another month.   --  Along those lines, G.T. and partner got a kick out of the cruise bag, but didn't take things out, put it on the table to enjoy with their cruise friends who were coming over for lunch yesterday.  They were all going over the various tours offered on the trip, and making their decisions on which ones they wanted to sign up for.  Told me one of the helicopter tours was an additional $6,000!  They won't be signing up for that one, LOL.

Kargiver, is canning on your docket for today?  Sauce?  

Hope you got everything done at the office yesterday that you wanted, Pingo.  Is today a regular work day for you?

Cheerio's eaten and is at the back slider, enjoying early morning activity around the feeder, and I'm about ready for breakfast.  I'll check in later.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Winter, had to laugh, indeed,strike while the iron is hot with DS and his drive to pack his own suitcase!  We're enjoying anticipating your trip with you.  Less than 3 weeks to go, now!

tt, happy birthday to DS!  It sounds like you had a good night's sleep despite getting up so early.  I'd like to hope the young man is being an industrious good citizen on his own.  Have fun today delivering the bags and celebrating.

Monday, again, already.  I'm really starting to feel my absence from the chiropractor and, in fact, was awakened from a deep sleep (dreaming) with a horrendous headache.  Woke up this morning with a dull reminder of last night's pain, downed a couple of Excedrin Migraine with a Coke and some saltines and managed to essentially get ahead of it.  Might need a nap this afternoon, not sure.  Finishing coffee, now...maybe that will knock the rest out.

so, if I'm upright I intend to make that huge batch of vegetable soup, hit the grocery store for DH's gluten free bread for his open faced tomato cheese sandwiches, and assorted other little errands in town.

Hoping everyone had a restful, fun weekend - anything good go on with the cc little ones?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

Happy birthday to the birthday boy. I am sure, he will like "the bag". No scones this time?

Actually, it is not a very good morning. Have been up sin 2:30 - just laid there tossing and turning until DH got up at 5:00. Made coffee and fresh juice.
    I am sure I will take a nap later today. We are taking DH's sister out for pizza tonight. It is her b-day, while we are gone. She and her husband are very difficult to treat for dinner out, as they have made themselves so many food restrictions. A list long, I won't even go into. Cooking for them at home, has become quite a chore. Besides I don't have the time this week. I will make and bring the Wowie cup cakes for them to take home. I know, they will eat those, and they can share w/ their grand sons. But first I have to call the pizza place, and ask them to make a pizza w/ a tomato sauce, that has no onions and garlic. They have done that before for us.

tt, $6000 for a helicopter tour? Isn't it Alaska, they are going to? I didn't go on the helicopter, but DH did, and I believe he paid something like $150 - or maybe $200 for a 3 hours tour. $6000 sounds pretty outrageous to me.

I got everything done this weekend, I wanted to do. Payrolls all done, and I have paid all the bills that were due while we are gone. I feel, I am in a pretty good shape. The light bills for the office will come right after we leave, but those I can pay over the net. So today I will be at home. Well, not really. I have loads of errands to do, but they are pretty much in the same area, so it won't be too bad.

Cute DS offered to help packing, Winter. Better learn it sooner than later. My father was an expert packer. He could fit in anything and everything. I learned from him, and our sons are now better packers than I am. It is a good thing to know, when you move in and out several times during the year during college.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

G.T. is going on a Mediterranean cruise, Pingo.

I think your lack of sleep is because you are over tired.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, I thought it was Alaska. Still $6000 is a lot of money. Are you sure you didn't put on an extra "0"? LOL

Yea, you are probably right - overtired. Also, have a lot on my mind. The office is in good shape, but I have to take care of the house, before we leave. The usual stuff last minute stuff, one cannot do ahead of time. Water plants, ask neighbor to pick up the mail, make sure SIL still has the house key, turn off the washer, turn off the water heater etc. etc. I am making lists to make sure I don't forget anything.

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

G.T. is going on a Mediterranean cruise, Pingo.

I think your lack of sleep is because you are over tired.

[object HTMLDivElement]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nice to take SIL out for an early bd dinner; it is difficult to accommodate tons of food restrictions, for sure.  My parents have a lot, too, but since the garden was producing it made it easier to cook for them; veggies are on their approved food list, lol.  Yes, you've stressed yourself into sleepless nights, I'm afraid.  Maybe tonight you'll get a sound night for having a lot crossed off your long to-do list.  You must crash when you get to TX!  My mom had finished up a stressful 6 month project the day before she got here and slept most of the day after they arrived...she was toast!  But, that refreshed her and she was ok after that.  Good thing she got away when she did.  Nice day for running errands.

DH's helicopter option was about that much, too, I think...needless to say they didn't go on that, either.  Who can?!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Oh, I thought it was Alaska. Still $6000 is a lot of money. Are you sure you didn't put on an extra "0"?"

What does it matter?  They aren't going on that anyway.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think she meant that charging that much for a helicopter sightseeing tour is absurd, not that anyone made a mistake.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Was just thinking of GT's apple tree as I look out over ours starting to turn red, as well.  Here comes applesauce season.  What does GT do with theirs?  Or, maybe partner does the cooking?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Obviously an error was made as the $6000 figure doesn't make any sense....I agree, drop a zero.

Sounds like a lot of fun, but $600 would be more like it, imo.   Of course the cost depends on the # of people, etc.

Ps: I am assuming it is a sightseeing tour of short duration (an hour or two).   I suppose anything is possible, especially if it is an extravagant excursion.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gracie just came in; must be getting hot.  Headache almost gone so I suppose I should get a move on and get the errands done early.  Might need a nap later.

Maybe I'll be out around lunchtime and grab some clams before I come home.  I've been craving them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Now I am really sorry, tt, I made a comment in regard to the $6000 helicopter trip. Of course, there would be a retribution from Miss Ignore.

Even though GT and Co. is not going - the price doesn't seem right. And when you copied, you left out my "LOL". I was only joking w/ you. If on a cruise, one only have a short time for excursions. A $6000 trip would be at least an entire day's affair or more IMHO. And yes, it certainly does matter. If the cruise ship allow them to charge that kind of money, they are all thieves and should be hung on the City Square.

And yes, as Kar suggested, I didn't meant my post as if everyone made a mistake. Just that I thought, the price was totally ridiculous.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ha, I thought maybe Robin was still on the melatonin soap box!  

I haven't moved a muscle...so unmotivated to do what I have to do today...sigh.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning again I guess...I posted earlier, but it's not here. tt, my mom took that cruise a few years ago, she LOVED it. They will take some beautiful pictures, I'm sure. DS is at soccer day camp this week, pretty close to where I work so we rode in together today. I dropped him off at a friends house at 7:30 and the two boys will walk to the camp that starts at 9, they will walk back to the house at 4 and I will pick him up. His math tutoring is coming along and he has six chapters left in his last book.  

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing

- Darth Vadar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sounds like DS is having an excellent year, Winter - you must be so happy and proud.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You really round out DS's experiences, Winter.  At his age (and my GS' ) it's so hard to keep them occupied and from being bored during the summer.  Great experiences you are giving him.

Just got back from my son's.  He is off today and has family plans for Chinese tonight.  His friend is also off so will be bringing the chow over.  My boys are not ones for making much of birthdays - they must get it from their father, he hated holidays, birthdays, any kind of celebration, and they would just as soon go on with their "special day" as tho it were any other.  They sure didn't get that from me!  lol  I want a lot of hullabaloo when it's mine, and when it's anybody's close to me.

He got a kick out of the bag and the decorations.

Came home with some peaches they had picked with pumpkin yesterday.  Fuzzy little devils.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Was just thinking of GT's apple tree as I look out over ours starting to turn red, as well. Here comes applesauce season. What does GT do with theirs? Or, maybe partner does the cooking?

Well, this year they won't be doing much but eating them as is - we counted only 7 !  It's a young tree and I think this is the second year bearing fruit, last year being much better.  We used to have an apple tree in my childhood home and I seem to remember it being an every other year as far as abundance.

As for the cooking, they both love to cook and take turns with their specialties.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What a great bd - I have to admit I like a fuss, too, lol. :)  My 40th birthday was so much fun, and I had even more fun planning and throwing DH's 50th.  Ah, Chinese - I'll be over!  What time?

7 apples, that's great for year 2!  We have some mature trees so they are loaded, but the newer ones don't have any yet.  

Sounds like they have a balanced life/relationship.  I'd so appreciate it if DH surprised me and cooked dinner once in awhile, but, then again, if he cooked dinner I'd probably have to strap on the miracle grow sprayer and go to town hosing down the property, and I'm not tall enough to keep the tractor from stalling (if you lift your butt off the seat it kills the engine, and I have to stand up to reach the pedals) so I guess things are as they should be here. :)

Yes, still in my pjs dragging along.  If I go out now, lunch will be first instead of after errands!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Finally cooked up the beets and sliced a couple on my salad today.  Had to toss the asparagus - boy oh boy, did they stink!  Had rotted in the bag.  Running out of ideas for veggies.  Should stop in the library and pick up a book on veggie cooking.  Neighbor has sister from across the sea staying with them now, so no more contributions.  I've never been a big veggie eater.  Really don't like the roasted root veggies that I know a lot make.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Been there with the stinky slime!

A quick, delicious (imo) way to use random vegetables is mock cream soup.  Chicken or beef stock, whatever vegetables you have chopped, seasoning, a stick (immersion) blender, and you're done.  Just boil the vegetables in the stock then purée in the pot.  It tastes and feels creamy, but doesn't require a drop...although, I've been known to finish with 1/3 cup of half and half for extra richness.  You can change it up with different herbs - I often use an Italian blend (dried) but also use curry, Cajun, etc.  Good with just one vegetable or as many as you have on hand.  Works especially well with celery - gourmet result in 20 minutes.  Excellent lunch or fancy app for dinner.  If you don't have an immersion blender I recommend it; far easier, quicker, and safer than using a jar blender for soup.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks for the idea.  Might consider buying one.

OR, getting one of those Bullet blenders.  G.T. has one and they love it.  Have a shake every morning for breakfast, and have used it for other stuff too.  Theirs was a gift from a very enthusiastic friend who after falling in love with hers, bought one for closet friends.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Keep in mind that hot liquids expand so anything like a bullet or jar style blender will have to be done in batches and be well vented so it doesn't explode (for making soup).  The bullet looks cool, tho, for smoothies and shakes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ok, this is it, do or die, I have to get out there, no getting around it.  Later, dudettes!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, hope you don't mind my opinion on the Bullet. We gave one to our bachelor son a couple of years ago. It is GREAT for smoothies, shakes and COLD drinks. But that is about it. Making salsa f. ex? Forget about it.  It mushes everything up to a liquid. Couldn't make smooth hummus either. And it doesn't do well crushing ice. It is really too small to blend anything. Especially anything hot, that expands. If anyone else have better results, I would love to know. DS left it purposely in his apartment, when he moved out. If you love smoothies or shakes - go for it. But if you don't, you are better off with an immersion blender, like Kargiver suggested. The price is about the same.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Hi everyone.

Checking in here.  Winter, I am so jealous of your cruise and I love that you are already packing. I have always had the best success with packing ahead of time and then thinking about what I packed and making a few adjustments in the days leading up to the trip.  You will enjoy your trip that much more for having prepared so thoroughly in the days leading up to it.  I"m sure your son will enjoy his week of camp. Thats great he has a friend to go to and from with.

TT, I am like you with birthdays!! But my DH is more like your sons.  Maybe it's a guy/girl thing? Happy birthday to DS.  I am jealous of his chinese food, yum.

Hats, where are you?  I have several projects that I need your input on for my new house! One of which is the tile backsplash in the kitchen.  It's mostly good, white basic tile, but there is a small row of rectangular flowered tiles that I don't like. I'd like to paint them either white or another color. Any thoughts or advice on painting tile?  

Speaking of our new house, we closed!  We are officially homeowners again, yay.  We are still living at my in laws though because we are doing some fairly big projects before moving in, for example, we are adding hard wood floors and changing out the electrical panel.  We are hopign to move in mid month.  It's exciting!  Living with my inlaws has been fun actually.  They have been super helpful and my kids will miss them. I think they will miss us too! Although we will only be about 15 mins away so we will still see them a lot. 

Sections
Shortcuts