August 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: August 2014

They did say it pulverizes everything.  Since my blender died, I would like something I could use for both smoothies and to make soups.  How would you use an immersion blender for smoothies - what would you immerse it in?

Headed out with my scissors to cut back some of the pernicious tenacles of my wisteria.  It has woulnd itself in and around one of the fir shrubs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Oh, and Kar, thanks for asking about my kiddos!  They are doing great.  My DD1 has a week of "vacation" this week and then she goes to camp for the next two weeks.  My sister is watching her today while I am at work and one day DH will take off and I will take off a day and my inlaws will watch her the other day.  I am off fridays anyway.  My DD2 has her regular daycare this whole month.  My DD2 turned two recently and she is so funny about it.  If you ask her age, she will tell you that she is two (holding up her thumb and pointer), that her big sister is four (holding up four fingers) and our dog is six (holding up her whole hand and waving it back and forth (?).  Very cute.  DD1 has begun to tell basic knock knock jokes and my DH and I have to respond over and over to the same joke (and laugh each time).  My DD2 has been watching and this morning she came over to me saying "knaw knaw knaw knaw" over and over until I figured out waht she was doing.  WHen I said "whose there?" she said her own name and then laughed.  Too funny. 

ETA - tt we posted at the same time.  I think the best thing to use to make smoothies and soups is a vitamix but they are super expensive.  We recently saw one at a random kitchen store at the wrentham outlets and it was used and refurbished and was much more reasonably priced. WE thought about getting it but didn't just because we are in the midst of moving and it wasn't the right time.  But they are amazing if you can find one for a deal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Saw your post when mine came up, Rama. Congratulations on the house passing.  I'm sure newer products are on the market, but I remember my DIL trying to repaint tiles and had a devil of a time, a special mixture had to be painted on first so the final paint would adhere.

I'm off to the backyard while the spirit moves me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

My immersion blender came with a tall cup to use to make smoothies and shakes. To make sauces and soups, you just stick the blender in the pot, and kind of stir it around.
    Mine is over 20 years old and not fancy. I believe the newer ones come w/ attachments - like a chopper f.ex.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=immersion+blender&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=30040860175&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2606532152657949039&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5se8zi36py_e

In response to toytrumpet's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They did say it pulverizes everything.  Since my blender died, I would like something I could use for both smoothies and to make soups.  How would you use an immersion blender for smoothies - what would you immerse it in?

Headed out with my scissors to cut back some of the pernicious tenacles of my wisteria.  It has woulnd itself in and around one of the fir shrubs.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

So many makes and models to choose from - guess I'll have to do some research first.

Pulled out the vines I could reach, cut back what I could.  It's blooming again, so not the time for the drastic cut back that it needs.

Did I mention in any of my other posts that since I have cut out the second Protonix I have not had one bit of pain in any of my bones or joints?  Was telling my son this morning.  Rainy day, change of the weather, nothing.  Of course the doctor will pooh pooh this saying it's a coincidence, but it's known that that type of med causes bone fractures.  Still have stiffness in hips, of course, from arthritis, but no pain whatsoever.  Next month I'll have bloodwork and I'm curious to see what different levels are with this new GERD diet.  Still have some processed foods and some sweets, but not the quantity as before.  Last bloodwork was excellent, so what will this be?  Super duper?  lol

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

If anyone's looking for Hats, she's over in LL. Page 1 of comments.

Out beyond the ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there. -- Rumi

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

What is LL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Love Letters

@rdg, interesting, she gave some good advice, I'll have to go over there more often.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats on closing, Rama!!!  Woo hoo!  Laughed at your description of the knock knock phase, hilarious.

tt, great news re your having successfully weened off the Protonix; I would tend to agree that's no random coincidence, your bones and joints are happier.  Whatever the blood work says, seems you've really done great taking charge of the GERD - thrilling!  You must be so relieved.

I recommend the stick blender Pingo has; you make smoothies nice and easy in the provided cup.  It makes it much like a bullet but more versatile in that you can use it in an open pot, too.

Rama's recommendation of the Vitamix is an extremely good one, but, like she said, very expensive and it does take up counter space which you've said is very limited.  The stick blender with the cup is the way to go for your particular culinary goals imo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm not off the Protonix, Kargiver, just  off one of the two I take a day.  And, the Gerd is not completely under control, but certainly better than before.  Baby steps.

As for the blender, I told G.T., I'll keep on the lookout and pickup something that seems to fill the bill for both uses, and will depend on cost too - I still have all those gift cards, tho I have managed to use a few.

So, what did you make today?  Soup?  Sauce?  Canning?

I'm thinking I can pick up a couple of green peppers in the next day or two, and use some of that rice mixture to stuff them - with a little cheese on top, should be passable.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, that's good news about your medicine. I hope it continues. Rama, congraulations on closing on your house. Hope your renovations go along smoothly. I'm down about 6 pounds since June 29th. You can't really tell, but my bras and shirts have a little room in them. :)

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing

- Darth Vadar

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

That's great Winter!! I was down about 10 lbs from March but have gained a few back living at my inlaws. My mother in law is a great baker and cook, ha ha.  I'm sure it will even out again this fall.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That's a good weight loss, Winter.  I think just because of my eating less of my baking alone, I must be down a few pounds, feel it, but not sure how accurate my scale is.  No one has told me I look thinner, so I don't know. Have yearly physical next month and will adjust my scale to his then.  I think it's easier to lose in the warm months anyway, don't you?  More salads, and none of the fattening casseroles.  Plus we're, or I'm outdoors more and not passing the refrigerator so many times a day - big temptation.

ETA:  Meant to mention, SS told me she was over to the Used Bookstore in Danvers the other day, so it's still there.  Was visiting her cousin in Salem and made a run over there before heading back home.  I always liked that one best, it has a much larger selection than the others.  When we were out Saturday, I did pick up a slightly used paperback for son's gift  bag, so slightly used you would never know it, and looking at it today, it's by an author he likes and he  said he hasn't read it, so that worked out well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, I understand it's a work in progress, but you are making great progress that's manifesting in so many tangible ways, go you!  Absolutely, a diet high in veggies makes you full for fewer calories so it's easier to lose weight when those things are in season and we're more active to boot.

and, Winter, too!  6 lbs is about a size in my experience so that's definitely significant; no wonder you have room in your clothes.

No canning today, putting soup together now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thank you everyone. I could use a new bathing suit, but don't want to spend the money just yet, as I know I will loose a little more. tt, not sure I trust our scale either. I'm just going by what my scale said at the begining and what it says now. I don't know if the number it's giving me is right though. Great job that you are doing as well.

- Darth Vadar

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Have a good night everyone.

- Darth Vadar

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Toodle ooo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, I got a great deal on a suit on Rue La La, and they have a swimsuit boutique open right now!  Hurry, time is limited, as they say.

I don't trust my scale to be perfectly accurate, per se, but I do trust it to measure a change in my weight accurately which is more important to me than my actual precise weight.  It's nice to get the absolute measure, though, with a counter weighted doctor's scale.  Then, again, you've got your clothes on so you still don't know exactly, lol.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Made literally gallons of soup with turnips, green peppers, jalapeños, summer squash, zucchini, Swiss chard, parsley, onions, garlic, and tomatoes.  All from the garden except the garlic which we've never grown.  I forgot to get gallon freezer bags at the grocery store today, darn it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Happy sunny morning!

Soupapalooza has begun; soup for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and freezer.  Nice timing since, speaking of bathing suits, SIL's pool party is Saturday.  Enough said, right, ladies?

Winter, I looked on Rue, and the bathing suit boutique is closed, but it will reappear soon.  If you haven't signed up for that site, it's well worth it imo; I got a Perry Ellis bikini this year for about $30.  Hautelook has a swimsuit boutique open right now, but imho the brand is ugly!  All triangle style bikinis with odd patterns.  To each her own, tho.  I don't know if you need a coverup for the cruise, but I LOVE my coolibar hooded zip up.  It's SPF 50, soft, and cut nicely.

tt, how did the bd boy receive the decoupaged bag?  Did GS get the caped crusader, finally?

The garden is fully mature, now, and really filled in with gorgeous, tall, bushy, produce - what a blessing.  Had our first beets the other day; I saw them peeking up from the ground and couldn't wait, but they should probably be allowed to grow a little bigger.  The carrots and turnips are starting to move the soil so there's a crack down the row.  Had some nice rain last night so everything is happy.  Wishing we could post pics!!!  Would have saved you these 1000 words. ;)

Back to the coffee pot...slept well last night, but I do love my coffee.

ETA:  I said "turnips" above but meant parsnips, sorry.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Kar, I want to wait and get a bathing suit for more weight loss. I do have a couple of different sizes, so now I have a second one for the cruise. No bikins though. I'd also need top try on as I have a larger chest. I have a lovely coverup that I got in Jamaica, it's one that wraps around you and you could wear it as a skirt coverup or like a strapless dress coverup. That's already in the suitcase. Your soup sounds good.

- Darth Vadar

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Lawn guy is due this week, so up and dressed early, he sometimes comes at 8:00.  With the exception of bringing son his birthday presents (and yes, Kargiver, he liked the bag - after I pointed it out to him, was going right for the card and contents) I was in yesterday.  So, today's a day for errand running.  I'll have an early start, it seems.

I bought a lightweight plastic cube to put in the freezer to hold the individual pkgs of chicken I always have in there.  I start out by sort of piling them one on top of another, but by the time I go looking for chicken to take out for a meal, they're all mixed in with other stuff.  This way, at least the chicken pkgs will be all together in this plastic cube.  Setting it up yesterday, already there are 5 different bags in there, various amounts of chicken breasts in each.  Think it will work out well.

I cooked up yesterday the beets I had bought.  Didn't want them to go the way of the asparagus.  Sliced some on my salad.  I can imagine how sweet yours are fresh from the garden.  You're on a jalapeno kick, Kargiver.  Is that because you love them or that you've got such an abundance of them this year?  You must have an iron cast stomach to eat as many as you do.  I had coriander in my brown rice dish, and have to be careful of that.

Indoor flowering plants are taking off, shooting up, leaning towards the window, flowering.  I suppose I could put them outside for the summer, but I don't really have any sheltered spot for them, no porch or deck out back, and the front porch isn't big enough to accommodate them.  Speaking of plants taking off, you should see the sunroom at G.T.'s.  OMG I laughed when I walked in there.  Elephant ears are humungous, and he's moved his gardenia out onto the front stoop, but I've no idea how they will ever get that thing back in the house come Fall.  It's like the rest of his garden, looks like a giant's garden, everything is huge.  Picture I have of partner watering along the front walk, he's dwarfed by the size of the plants beside him!  LOL

Breakfast calls.  I'll check in later this afternoon.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, I understand, Winter.  When you are ready, definitely start looking on Rue for bathing suit boutiques.  I got another one, a one piece, for a great deal, too, a couple of years ago - it's a shape enhancing/slimming style; I love it.  Your coverup sounds fabulous and so versatile!  You'll be able to wear that forever.

tt, we do love the jalapeños, but I was cautious and only used 5 peppers for about 4 gallons of soup so you really can't even tell they're in there. I like some heat, but not atomic.  Good organizing idea for the chicken.  I set my African Violet outside a couple of years ago because it seemed to be reaching for more sun...I burned it and had to cut many of the leaves off and let it regrow...you are right to be wary!  Good news DS enjoyed the art - men often DO need it pointed out, LOL.  Why, I have no idea.

I need to hit Trader Joe's today; we are out of some TJ's exclusive items.  I'd also like to clean the floors; they are overdue.  And, Gracie needs a good, long walk, as do I.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Google Rue for coupons and codes. Frequently there's a code of $25 off any or of (get this) $25 or more. You don't have to spend more than that to get free merch, except for shipping.

Out beyond the ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there. -- Rumi

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sweet, thanks, rdg!