August 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Re: August 2014

I learned about this through All You magazine, which often posts really great coupon codes, freebies and sweepstakes. Also try How to Shop for Free, a nice site created by a Boxford woman when her husband was ill and there was only one income at the time. Couponing saved their budget:

http://www.howtoshopforfree.net/

Out beyond the ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there. -- Rumi

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

You're welcome, kar.

Email sign up for used book superstore, and receive discounts the general public doesn't.

http://www.usedbooksuperstore.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.usedbooksuperstore.com/

Also, Savers, a thrift shop that just happens to get designer and other interesting merch. Your dollars help support charity (as with ubss):

http://www.savers.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.savers.com/

Sorry some of these are convenient to those of us on the North Shore and not the rest of you. But for central and south coast Mass. folks, Savers/VallueVillagehas these locations:

1. Worcester , MA 01603
    2. Worcester , MA 01605-1920
    3. Marlborough, MA 01752
    4. Framingham , MA 01701
    5. Woonsocket , RI 02895
    6. Norwood , MA 02062
    7. North Attleborough , MA 02760
    8. West Roxbury , MA 02132
    9. Providence , RI 02904
    10. Nashua , NH 03060
    11. East Providence , RI 02914
    12. Springfield , MA 01104
    13. Warwick , RI 02886
    14. Saugus, MA 01906
    15. West Springfield , MA 01089
    16. Danvers , MA 01923
    17. Manchester , CT 06040
    18. Hanover, MA 02339

Out beyond the ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there. -- Rumi

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Savers/ValueVillage often runs loyalty card only sales.

Don't go there for their pre-packaged Halloween costumes. The one group of garments there that are overprice and made of low-quality material.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

Rama, congratulations on closing on the house. You must be ecstatic. I am so happy for you. I am sure, lots of work on the new house coming up for you. Everything will be uprooted and messy for a while, but it is "happy" work, so try to enjoy it, while it is going on. Living w/the in-laws turned out to be a good experience for you and your family. Be thankful for that. Wouldn't have worked for so many other families. You are so blessed.

tt, why are you so worried about your lawn guy seeing you in a nice robe? My lawn guy comes here first thing in the morning, but I do not dress up for him. My hair is combed, and my robe is clean. Truly, I don't think your lawn guy care at all for whatever you are wearing. All he needs is his money. LOL

Winter, happy your walking has paid off with a nice weight loss. Was that your intention, or was it just getting into a better shape? Whatever is was, you are on the right track with lots of benefits.

Kargiver, your garden makes me so envious, but I am still so happy for you. Parsnips? I didn't know, anyone uses them. I have a love affair with them. I would never make a soup - any kind - w/o them. They give such a lovely sweet taste. Whenever I check them out, the cashiers are wrinkling their noses. What are these, how to you use them? Kar, do you grow leeks? They are the best ever. Little more work as the have to be "blanched" (covered with dirt to protect them from the sun). But they have the sweetest onion taste ever. I just love them. Saute them w/ sliced up carrots or use them in a Potato Leek soup. Or just saute them the way the are. Heaven!

Had such a great day yesterday, even though busy. Got ALL the items I needed. I am happy. No more shopping. Just in case anyone needs men's T-shirts, they are on sale at Target for $4 each. Nice Champion brand and a good, soft quality. It was not on my list, but I bought 4. DH uses them for tennis, and I just couldn't let that offer pass by. Hmm! Now I am thinking, maybe I should go and pick up a couple more for the boys. They use them a sleep shirts.

And of course, I went to my "candy store" - Carters. I am now buying for 9 months. They look huge to me. Has she really grown THAT much? Got 3 outfits plus 6 bibs. Now that she is eating solid food, they need those more than the outfits. LOL

"Birthday party" last night went well. SIL loved the wowie cupcakes. She doesn't bake. Never did it - don't know how to. Now she has something to serve w/ a candle, when her real b-day come along.

So missing Hats. Hope she will reconsider and post here again.Have a good day all.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Heading out momentarily so quick response - we love parsnips, too.  Planted a ton, but only half came up.  Last year, none!  Yes, we always grow lots of leeks; they are doing great and are destined to be combined with our potatoes in soup.  I cut them and toss them in a big bowl of cold water.  Swish vigorously, and all the dirt falls to the bottom while the leek pieces float.  Scoop with slotted spoon.  They get perfectly clean, no blanching necessary.

This is a stunning way for a mature lady like hats to handle things.  True friends can air grievances; and, if not, who can?

Off I go, chat later. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

I have my issues with Hats, but I know y'all miss your friend. I'll post links to her comments on other stories if and when I see them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Phew, it's a real summer day out there today!  Just came back with basil plants to transplant; DH forgot (I guess) how much he likes it on his tomato sandwiches.

Now, for lunch...guess what.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Home and a knock at the door, my Fla friend for a little visit.

House is comfortable, but you're right, Kargiver, it is hot outside.  Swung by the library and picked up a few "vegetable recipe" books.  I'll glance through and see what's there that I might try.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Glad you we home for your friend's drop in, tt.  If you see any veggie gems, let us know - I hope you find something to your liking that's gerd-friendly, you're doing so well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

A squash and mushroom tart is all I came away with from 2 books.  Squash, mushrooms, pepper, garlic, sage, onion, cheddar and parmesan cheeses, baked in a yeast, sour cream pastry.  Not sure it wouldn't be bland.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeast and sour cream pastry?  I share your fear of blandness, although the sage and cheese could be good.  I do like pairing mushrooms with sage; two complimentary "earthy" flavors.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, a yeast pastry dough with sour cream added, is probably how I should have written it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think it would be mild, but a good balance of flavors.

ETA: the sour cream would provide a much needed tang.

And, if it would be gerd-friendly, I'd add a pinch of nutmeg.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In all likelihood I'll never make it.  More I think of it, more blah it sounds.  I'll stop back tomorrow and see what else I can find.  Right now I'm having a couple of pumpkin's sugar cookies.  G.T. says I ought to save a few crumbs, leave them in the bag, and give it to them that way!  LOL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Friends called an hour ago to invite us for dinner tonight. "You are busy and working hard. Please stop by for dinner here tonight." Very nice of them. But I have been trying to empty my refrigerator/freezer - so I had nothing, I could make a quick appetizer or dessert from. So I swung up to TJ's and got a mini orchid plus a Danish Almond pastry/cake, they can have for breakfast tmw.morning, if she has already made dessert. She doesn't shop there, so I know, it will be something new for them.

tt, I think you tart sounds delightful. Lots of good stuff in it. If you are worried about blandness, just add more garlic and onions. Or if you can have onions, caramel them before you add them. That should give you some more flavor. I am sure you know, that recipes don't have to be followed to the "T'. I always use Phyllo dough, when I make savory tarts. Easy to work with, and they come out nice and light. If I make tart for dessert, I do it the old fashioned way making a pastry bottom.

Like GT's suggestion of giving away half eaten cookies. That will certainly make a point. And Pumpkin will be totally unaware.

It is getting hot out there. The thermometer shows 80, but it feel a lot hotter. Maybe b/c we had several days of "dream" weather. We all knew, it wouldn't last forever, but the change is really felt today.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Nice to have an invitation for supper tonight, Pingo.  I've thawed out a hamburger and am boiling some potatoes for potato salad.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ha, crumbs in the bag, LOL!!

Have fun tonight, Pingo - I'm sure she'll love the orchid and dessert/breakfast...I know I would!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, I'll take a cookie :) Pingo, how lovely that you have a dinner invitation, what you bring will be well received I am sure. As for me, I'm going out with five of the mom's from DS' class. Should be a nice time. It's a place called ZA, it's pizza I think, but gourmet pizza. I'll have to be good and only have two slices.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing

- Darth Vadar

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Have fun, Winter.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, pizza doesn't have to be a calorie budget buster, even yummy, gourmet pizza.  If it's up to you, get thin crust and light on cheese and meat toppings, and you can eat a lot more slices!  Have fun!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I know, but we'll but the cheese is my favorite. :) Hope everyone has a nice night. Have to pick DS up and then grt him to the Orthdontist, where his dad will meet us. His braces should be coming off in September or October.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing

- Darth Vadar

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thin crust will help, and mozzarella is fairly low cal at only 80/ounce - don't worry too much; pizza (most) gets an unfair bad diet rap. :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Now I want pizza, and all we have is soup and tomatoes!  Maybe I'll whip one up...or not; very hot.

Just walked Gracie, ugh, now on to prep DH's tomato sandwiches and get sou ready to heat for 6:30.

Finally caved and bought Off with DEET; man, that stuff works!  I'm tired of being swarmed with natural junk.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wimped out on pizza; I'll have to live vicariously through Winter. ;)

Had soup, tomatoes, and mozzerlla...and wine for dessert.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

dh not leaving 'til 8:45 so just saying hi for now :)

~kar