August Chats!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Re: August Chats!

Hi mothermitzi

Thank you for the kind words concerning my sister..The situation has been very unsettling for a couple of years.  Seemed as if no matter what I tried nothing mattered.  We would see each other and then something would get them irritated and that would be it.  Since my husband passed away they want to be part of my life sad as it is..but I also realize with my sister's health problems my mother needs me. She is 87..my sister does not drive so it's what I can do for them.  I will be there within reason..

I could not finish watching that game last night either..then once again, I am awake at 3 turning on the AC..

Do you know I never planted tomatoes this year but my neighbors did and they are not growing at all.  This has been one crazy summer.

I am off to have lunch with my exercise friends.  Hope you are doing something fun.

putt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeasyII. Show LeasyII's posts

WinkHey Chatters--- Hope you all are having a wonderful summertime!  
    Miss the boards, love youze!
    LeasyII

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello putt,
    Hope for you all works out well for your sister. Open heart (bypass?) surgery is not an easy thing, and it looks like your mom and sister have "found" you again. It just make me sad to think, if it is just for the reason, that they are not driving. There are plenty of cabs and taxis available.
    I know, you will be there for your mother - and you should. But I just hope after all you have gone through with them, they are just not using you. Where is your sister's family in all of this?
    Putt, sems like you have a big heart, and it is always safe to err on the wrong side. Best to you my dear. Hope all goes well. Love, Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Leasyll -

Long time no hear, on CC anyway.  Seeing you pop up here made me wonder how icer is doing. Haven't heard from her in awhile either.

Hope your summer is going well Leasyll.

mothermitzi

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi putt -

Well, if you call sitting in the office on a hot day "fun," I guess I am having a good time!  If it were cooler, I'd go out and walk around. I haven't been inspired to walk much lately.  Not sure what that's all about.  I have been going to my local gym and using the treadmill.  I've been going early in the morning when nobody is around.  It's nice and cool, and I don't feel as self-conscious when the place is empty.  I go at my own speed. Hope to get to the beach this weekend.  If we go to Crane Beach, I like to walk to the right to where that river cuts in. That way, I feel as though I've earned a clam plate afterwards!

Our boys let us down last night.  Glad I went to bed.

mothermitzi   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

You gave me a good idea about using the green tomatoes.  I think I'll make a relish.  I have a hand operated grinder somewhere with different shaped discs. It attaches to the side of a table.  I can't think of the correct word for it at the moment, but you can use it to make relishes or sausages.  Truth be told, I planned to throw the tomatoes away.  Not very imaginative of me, I know.  I can dry the Hungarian peppers and use them in soup or a stew this winter.  

mothermitzi

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Chatters,

Hot as it is - I had my oven on this afternoon.  Wanted to use up some fresh pineapple I had cut into rings, so made my upside down pineapple cake.  Because I had no cherries to put in the middle of the rings, I dropped in 3 or 4 fresh blueberries, and scattered the remainder around the slices.  Just tapped it out of the pan, and it is a beauty to behold!  The blueberries cooked and spread and I have a beautiful topping of pineapple rings surrounded and filled with cooked blueberries.  Gorgeous to look at!  -  Just sharing in case you have leftover blueberries and want to try this.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh my tt, baking today? However, your concotion sounds devine. Will keep that in mind. I still have some blueberries left from whem they were cheap. Froze them. So I can make pancakes and muffins, when they are not around any longer. Now they are expensive.
    How is your hand? I hope your are resting it. Typing here will not do much for it. But I read you. When you feel well otherwise, it is difficult to let habits go.
    Mr. P is going abroad tomorrow, so i have been busy taking care of all his clothes to pack. Not an easy job, I tell you. One can only bring 50 lbs. per suitcase. Which is truly not very much. Just my gripe for the day!
    Have a nice evening - and please rest that hand of yours. We want you back here as soon as possible. - Pingo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Hi pingo

Thank you for being so caring.  My mom and sister never feel they do anything wrong, it's everyone else..my sister has kids that are good to her but it has been one day after another with appointments and it's hard to keep taking time from their jobs.  I will try and be on hand if they need me but within reason.  I know this may sound strange but I almost feel sorry for them..

Waiting for my son to call. he is dropping his car off at the garage and we are going out for dinner.  He leaves tomorrow for a few days in South Carolina on a business trip..

Enjoy the night

putt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Time for a photo break.  Here's a recent one of our pup and one of the raspberry pie I made for DH this morning.  It's a surprise; he returns from a business trip tonight.  He grows the raspberries and begs for pie, and I hardly ever indulge him because he also begs me to help him lose weight.  With the pie being 450 calories per slice plus the 100 for Eddy's Slow Churned Vanilla (1/2 c), they are mutually exclusive requests. ;)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt - can you post some photos of your creations?!  My mouth is watering thinking about your cooking...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: August Chats!:
    [QUOTE]tt - can you post some photos of your creations?!  My mouth is watering thinking about your cooking...
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

You've got to be kidding me, right?  I don't have that kind of a camera or that kind of set up on my second hand computer!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi kar -

Boy, that pie looks yummy!  Wish I could reach through the computer and cut a slice.  Your pooch looks adorable, too. 

mothermitzi

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, too bad - I love photos.  I used to take pictures of rather mundane things for my grandmother who was very internet savvy.  Now she's gone, but I'm in the habit, and my parents are happy to see, too.  It stinks being far away...more so now that I'm older.

mm, I wish I could hand you each a slice!  The pooch is quickly becoming the light of our lives...she's really bonded with us.  DH is away, and she looks for him every morning at the bedroom door and every night at the front and cries.  It's so sad - I wish I could explain to her that he's coming home tonight!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello Kar,
    I know this is late, but I just had to chime in - that "shame on you" displaying such a delicious looking pie. Didn't you know, we all want a slice? What a lucky guy your husband is. And even homegrown raspberries? Truly a labor of love.
    My sister grew them and they were the best - except for picking them. I had a chance or two being there to help her. After picking them, we would go into her kitchen and make jams and juice. Now she is gone much too early, and I miss her so.
    You "baby" looks adorable. How much she has grown since your last shot.
    Another thing we have in common - I have the same kitchen counter as you. That is just too funny.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sorry about your sis, Pingo.

I wish I could give you all a big slice, but then my DH would come home and say "What happened to the PIE?!"  We work together.  He works the land, I work the kitchen. So, we're both super blessed. :)

That is funny, you have the same granite?  Neat.

Oh, see the green thingy in the background of the pie photo?  It's a silicone pie edge shield, and it worked PERFECTLY.  I've tried foil which gets one star.  It stuck like crazy to the egg wash and when I took it off, half the edge came with it.  I've tried Mrs. Fields aluminum pie shield, and I give that 3 stars.  If you let it cool considerably before you try to take it off, it comes off without much fight, but you still can damage the edge.  The non-stick metal one gets 3 1/2 stars.  But, the silicone gets 5+ stars.  It allowed a perfect amount of browning staying on the whole cook time, laid on easily, and came off without ANY resistance the moment the pie came out of the oven.  I will never cook another pie without using that one.  The others are trash.

I had pie for breakfast.  Mmmm. Embarassed

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello all,
    What a beautiful Sunday. Hope you all are enjoying it.
    This year has not been a banner year for growing tomatoes up here. Mother mitzy said she would make relish from her green tomatoes.
    I just posted my recipe for my pickled green tomatoes on the Chat Recipe thread. Our Thanksgiving would not be TG w/o them. In fact I save some green tomatoes every year just for this purpose.
    Hope you will try them. I know you will love them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Hey, isn't it great to have email notification again. This was my first notice. Now I can keep up to date with what's going on. Beautiful Sunday here in Phoenix too, being a comfortable 87 this morning. Most Sunday's we go to a restaurant for dinner at noon, but since we will be eating out on our trip starting this Wed, we decided to stay in and have some steak.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ken,
    Trip? Did I miss something? Where are you going may I ask? where ever - I hope you and Mrs. Ken will have a nice trip and collect some good memories. And of course - you need to report tous after you get home.
    Bon Voyage - Pingo

[QUOTE]Hey, isn't it great to have email notification again. This was my first notice. Now I can keep up to date with what's going on. Beautiful Sunday here in Phoenix too, being a comfortable 87 this morning. Most Sunday's we go to a restaurant for dinner at noon, but since we will be eating out on our trip starting this Wed, we decided to stay in and have some steak.
    Posted by Ken1935[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

[QUOTE]Ken, Trip? Did I miss something? Where are you going may I ask? where ever - I hope you and Mrs. Ken will have a nice trip and collect some good memories. And of course - you need to report tous after you get home. Bon Voyage - Pingo In Response to Re: August Chats! :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Wednesday we are leaving for Yosemite. We plan to spend the first night in Bakersfield, CA. Next day we hope to see Sequoia Natl. Park and end up in Mariposa, CA, staying 2 nites at the Yosemite Inn. On the 14th, our 55th Anniversary, we have a bus tour of Yosemite booked. After that we have no plans. We possibly will come back down the eastern side of the Sierras and stop at Hoover Dam eventually before coming home. We are not going to hurry, and just enjoy ourselves. We think this is a milestone worth celebrating. Of course I will be taking lots of pictures and some will get posted on my Flikr account on Yahoo. Of if any wants to email me directly I will be glad to share as many pics as they can stand. If the places we stay have WI_FI I will try to check in to BDC.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, Yosemite ---one of my most favorite places. Want to go back there. You will have a lovely time there. We went there on our 3 weeks trip to the West Coast, when our youngest son graduated from U-Penn in 98. That was the graduation present he wanted - a trip across the country with his family.
    We flew to Phoenix, then drove up and down and everywhere to Las Vegas. Flew to San Diego and took the coastline - with stops - to San Francisco. It was one of our most memorable trips.  We were in Yosemite in early June and all the waterfalls were at their fullest. Hope you will be able to see them such. Saw my first coyote there, which scared me to death. Now I have several of them running around in my backyard.
    And congratulations on your 55th anniversary. That is really something to celebrate. Our 41st is coming up at the end of August - and we are pretty happy about that. My parents made it to their 65th - God bless them.
    Hope you will send us some pictures - but most of all I hope you will have a fantastic trip.
    Bless you and Mrs. Ken - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

55 years - that's fantastic Ken!  I hope you enjoy your trip.  It sounds wonderful.  I have been to the Hoover Dam, and it is fascinating.  One of these days I hope to get to Yosemitie.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Happy Monday Everybody -

Ken, I hope you and the Mrs. have a wonderful trip and congratulations on your anniversary. I have never been to the places you mention. Someday I will get there.  Sounds wonderful.  I wish you the best. 

It was a busy weekend for me.  Family is visiting from out of town. Friday night we all had dinner in Harvard Square.  It was a beautiful night and we were able to sit outside. Saturday, we went to Crane Beach.  After the beach, we went to the Clam Box and Dairy Queen for dessert. Boy, did that hit the spot!  Sunday we had a cookout with my father, aunt and neighbors. This morning, they left for a few days on the cape. Friday, we're going to Maine for the weekend.  Busy as a bee but all fun and good.

Didn't have time to make the green tomato relish, but the tomatoes aren't going anywhere, and they sure as heck are not going to ripen!  Stay cool everybody.

mothermitzi

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

For anyone looking for a cool way to spend a steamy afternoon, my neighbor and I went to see Julie and Julia today.  A fun, light-hearted movie, perfect for a few hours of entertainment.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

[QUOTE]For anyone looking for a cool way to spend a steamy afternoon, my neighbor and I went to see Julie and Julia today.  A fun, light-hearted movie, perfect for a few hours of entertainment.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

I have been waiting for that movie to come out...I fear my poor Honey won't like it but he will sit through it.
    Nice to know its a good movie. Thanks for the review

Sections
Shortcuts