August Chats!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Re: August Chats!

I will go see the movie, too. Recently, Channel 2 has been running some of Julia Child's old shows. Brings back a lot of memories.

mothermitzi

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

I am going to see that movie later this week as well.  It looks really good.  I couldn't  get my husband there even kicking and screaming!  I am going with my MIL, and I'm sure we will both enjoy it. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: August Chats!:
    [QUOTE]I am going to see that movie later this week as well.  It looks really good.  I couldn't  get my husband there even kicking and screaming!  I am going with my MIL, and I'm sure we will both enjoy it. 
    Posted by princess-cal[/QUOTE]

We went to the early afternoon show, and the theater was filled.  There were a few men there, but as you can imagine, mostly women.  The actor who plays her husband also played with her in The Devil Wears Prada.  Never have gotten his name down, but I love him.  And, of course, the actress who plays Julie was superb.  Reminds me of ------ (the actress who played in You've Got Mail) - my mind is blank of names this early in the morning!  I know you'll enjoy it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Good morning

Congratulations, Ken on 55 years together and your upcoming trip..I have been along that route before but it was many years ago.

tt - I cannot wait to see Julie and Julia - was the girl in "You've Got Mail" Meg Ryan?  I am having my garage cleaned out today or it would be the perfect day to sit in an air conditioned theater.

mothermitzi - you are so busy.  You had me drooling for clams and Dairy Queen. 

princess - so good to see your posts..sounds like you are feeling better.

pingo - how is your leg coming along..any problems in this heat?

Kids and I are leaving Sunday for a few days in Nova Scotia..can't wait..think we all need a change. 

Stay cool..

putt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Putt
    Nova Scotia is nice. Be sure to go to Lunenburg. There is a nice pretty Light House at Peggy's Point and the best lobster I ever had, a lazy lobster (all picked out of the shell) at a restaurant there. THe night we were there, they had a thunder storm and the lights went out so they put candles on the tables. It was quite romantic.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Have you all tried the new email notification by subscribing to the thread? It's pretty good. Not like it was before when you only got notified if someone responded to your post. Now you get notified any time someone posts to a thread you subscribe to.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello all,
    Happy trip Ken, wish I could come to Yosemite with you - as I told before, it is definitely one of my most favorite places on Earth. Enjoy! Are you driving or are you on a bus tour? If you are driving - we went on the scenic route w/ our GPS --- what lovely country up there. We were going through flowering Almond and Peach groves most of the way. Thought we were lost at no mans land for a while - but everything was so beautiful around us.
    Putt - happy trip to Nova - just hope you will catch a good day on the Cat. Like I said, I wouldn' t go back on that darn thing - even if paid to do it. (Well, maybe a Mill would make me do it. Ha!) I feel sick - just thinking about it. Sorry, not much of an encouragement. Just be prepared. Nova Scotia is just beautiful. You will love it up there. But more important, you are spending time with your family. That matters more. Make sure you go to the "Magnetic Mountain" if possible. I will not give you more details in order not to ruin your surprise.
    tt, how is your hand doing? Looks like you must be resting it. Just yesterday, my secretary and I discovered a lovely bird's nest in one of our Cherry trees out near the driveway - quite out in the open - with a bunch of little beaks. Can't imagine a bird making a nest at such a busy place. We have a Bagel store next door and the cars come zipping by constantly. Well birds are birds and they probably have "bird brains".
    Mother mitzy - have a great trip to Maine with your family. I posted a recipe for Pickled Green Tomatoes - just for you. And for Icer too. She loves to try new things. It is easy. Hope you will try it.
    And princess, how are you doing - feeling better? it is so nice to see you posting  again.
    My leg is sort of back to normal. I can now move around as I please. The heat bothers me, but that is always the case. I retain fluid so easily. I still have a huge scab, that has to fall off by itself. I wish I could just pick it off, but I am afraid of damaging the new skin underneath. I don' t want to start all over again. It has been an ordeal, but things are looking up.
    You all have a wonderful Tuesday. Yesterday was terrible humid - they say it is not going to be so bad today. - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Hello all! Pingo Thanks for the recipe. I will try it as soon as I am done chopping red tomatoes for salsa...I just wish my cilantro didn't turn to corriander but it did.
    Glad to hear you are on the mend

TT I hope your hand is better I am glad you have a reasonable doctor
    MM have a great time this weekend with your family and enjoy the break while they are down the cape

Ken and Mrs. Ken Happy anniversary...Wow 55 years. quite an accomplishment

Princess..nice to see you posting again
    Putt I am glad you are taking charge of your life. You are an inspiration
    Kargiver...your name says it all..your input is so insightful. Thanks for all your contributions

Have a great day all!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello Icer,
    You men you actually have RED tomatoes? I think you must be the only one around here with ripe tomatoes. Good for you. The tomato department has not been doing well for anyone, I know of. You and hubby must have some tomato magic. - P

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, remember to stay extra hydrated if you are suffering from swelling.  Ironically, it keeps you from retaining less.  And, avoid salt!  I know you know these things, just a reminder. :)

Glad to hear your leg is recovering so nicely.

Blessings to all

~kar

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Good afternoon

Thank you, icer, for the kind words..nice to see you posting again.

Hi Ken..will keep Lunenburg in mind..so many of the towns in that area have the same name as here in Mass..other examples..Dartmouth, Bridgewater, and Falmouth..just to name a few. Think it's just a coincidence?

pingo..sure hope we have a calm day for the ferry.  Would not look forward to being seasick, that's for sure and having to drive the extra distance home.

putt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

[QUOTE]Good afternoon Thank you, icer, for the kind words..nice to see you posting again. Hi Ken..will keep Lunenburg in mind..so many of the towns in that area have the same name as here in Mass..other examples..Dartmouth, Bridgewater, and Falmouth..just to name a few. Think it's just a coincidence? pingo..sure hope we have a calm day for the ferry.  Would not look forward to being seasick, that's for sure and having to drive the extra distance home. putt
    Posted by putt1[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's a coincidence.  You will find the same names in merry old England where the Settlers of Nova Scotia probably came from.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

Thanks for the recipe.  I saw the recipe and it appeals to me.  Looks like it is easier than dragging out my food mill and making relish.  I like the idea of serving it at Thanksgiving and may borrow your tradition.  I prepare a plate of olives, pickles and seckel pears anyway.  My grandmother put up seckel pears every year.  My mother didn't care for them, but I continued the tradition.  Alas, my father and I are the only ones who give this plate a second glance.  Thanks pingo.

mothermitzi  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Mother mitzy,
    Uhmmmmm! Seckel pears! Love them. I sometimes put them in my cranberry sauce - cut up in chunks. But I also like to eat them just as they are. You have any more ideas for using them?

One note on the pickled tomatoes. Depending on how juicy the tomatoes are, the liquid can sometimes run thin. I have made them many times and it only happened to me twice. I just pour off all the liquid, boil it in some more and then pour it back on the tomatoes. I guess, I didn't boil the liquid long enough the first time to thicken it.

- Pingo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

I can them, using cinnamon and cloves.  I serve them with poultry and pork all winter. Come to think of it, I've never eaten one "as is." 

mothermitzi

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]Hi pingo - I can them, using cinnamon and cloves.  I serve them with poultry and pork all winter. Come to think of it, I've never eaten one "as is."  mothermitzi
    Posted by mothermitzi[/QUOTE]

I had to google them to see what they are.  I'll look for one next time I shop - if they're in the market yet.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Hi,

I know I am not a regular on these boards! But this message is for Kar!
    Kar, there is a woman on the wedding boards. She posted about a destination wedding in fall 2010. She is narrowing it down to the Bahamas or ARUBA. I wrote her a big message. I thought you might want to chime in. I am trying to convince her to go for Aruba and the Bucuti! Just didn't want you to miss it!

Thanks! :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Hi, I know I am not a regular on these boards! But this message is for Kar! Kar, there is a woman on the wedding boards. She posted about a destination wedding in fall 2010. She is narrowing it down to the Bahamas or ARUBA. I wrote her a big message. I thought you might want to chime in. I am trying to convince her to go for Aruba and the Bucuti! Just didn't want you to miss it! Thanks! :)
    Posted by Sept2010Bride[/QUOTE]

Hey, Liz,

Thanks!  I will check it out.  I had not looked since I'm usually not much help with that topic; thanks for pointing it out.  No one here minds. :)

~kar

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello tt,
    Glad to see your post. Does that mean your hand i getting better?
    The seckel pears are not on the market yet. They are smallish, round pears. Maybe 1-1/2 long. I love them. Like I said, I add them to my cooking cranberry sauce in chunks for maybe two minutes before all cranberries are bursting. I don' t want to overcook them.
    Can' t believe we are talking TG stuff already. - Pingo

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: August Chats! : I had to google them to see what they are.  I'll look for one next time I shop - if they're in the market yet.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi Liz,
    Welcome to the "old ladies, long married" boards (sorry Kar). Anyone can chime in - and we don' t bite. No need to be a regular. We are truly a very friendly group, just chatting about this and that and some more. Love, Pingo

[QUOTE]Hi, I know I am not a regular on these boards! But this message is for Kar! Kar, there is a woman on the wedding boards. She posted about a destination wedding in fall 2010. She is narrowing it down to the Bahamas or ARUBA. I wrote her a big message. I thought you might want to chime in. I am trying to convince her to go for Aruba and the Bucuti! Just didn't want you to miss it! Thanks! :)
    Posted by Sept2010Bride[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Mother mitzy,
    I went down this morning to take a look at my tomatoes. Disaster. Not a single red one - not even my cherry tomatoes. They should have been eaten up by now.
    So, I cut all the overhanging branches off, picked off all the tomatoes and now have two large jars of them pickled sitting in my refrigerator. Busy morning, but something to look forward to. Left a lot on the branches, hopefully they will ripen - even though, I don' t think so. So, what usually is a specialty - looks like my family will be sick of the pickled ones this year. I think I will give some jars away. If you have a recipe for your relish, would you mind to post it? Not now, but whenever you have the time - P

[QUOTE]Hi pingo - I can them, using cinnamon and cloves.  I serve them with poultry and pork all winter. Come to think of it, I've never eaten one "as is."  mothermitzi

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

37 isn't old?  I feeeeel old with this puppy around!  My arms and thighs are seriously getting more defined from carrying her around and squatting down so often.  I've never done so many squats in one day as I do every day, now!

I feel your tomato pain, Pingo.  Out of about 10 plants, we have had 2 red tomatoes (Jet Stars, I think).  We ate them this morning so we are down to none.  We have been getting a handful here and there of cherry toms.  DH just thinned out the plants to get rid of all the diseased stocks.  There's hardly anything left.  Disaster here, too.  :(

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

Pingo, I will post the recipe after I return on Sunday.  Leaving tomorrow for a long weekend.  The recipe is in the box with my food mill.  I know it's in the cellar....somewhere!  My cherry tomatoes are doing well.  I've had a couple bowl fulls. The beefsteaks are a disaster, but I think they will be fine pickled.  Now, "something" has attacked my morning glory vines and is actually eating the blooms just before they form.  I have sprayed it twice to no avail. 

Have a nice weekend everybody.  Talk to you when I get back.  Putt, have a great time in NS.  You're going to love it.

mothermitzi 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Pingo,

There really isn't much change in my hands, first 3 digits on both  hands stay numb, but there is no tingling, burning or pain.  Thanks to the cortisone, I believe.  Reading I have done says the benefits of the cortisone may last up to a year.  I don't believe the numbness will ever go away, unless, perhaps I have the surgery.  Two procedures to consider with that too - research has told me the open procedure where the incision is made in the palm, results in fewer chances of inadvertive cutting of a nerve, but that most surgeons now prefer the endoscopic (incision at wrist) which is what my surgeon does.  I don't have to make any decision just now, so I'll leave that for "another day".

Got an email today from my cousin's widow on what was my aunt's farm in Maine.  She said their garden is giving them zucchini, beans and garden greens - no mention of tomatoes, so I imagine they are having the same problems with all the rain we have had.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Mother mitzy,

Please don't worry about the relish recipe. It sound like it is too much trouble to get to. But thanks anyway. I googled "relish" and found a couple of easy recipes.
    Have a great trip - Pingo

[QUOTE]Hi Everybody - Pingo, I will post the recipe after I return on Sunday.  Leaving tomorrow for a long weekend.  The recipe is in the box with my food mill.  I know it's in the cellar....somewhere!  My cherry tomatoes are doing well.  I've had a couple bowl fulls. The beefsteaks are a disaster, but I think they will be fine pickled.  Now, "something" has attacked my morning glory vines and is actually eating the blooms just before they form.  I have sprayed it twice to no avail.  Have a nice weekend everybody.  Talk to you when I get back.  Putt, have a great time in NS.  You're going to love it. mothermitzi 

Sections
Shortcuts