August Chats!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: August Chats!

Ken,
    I am so happy for you, that you had a great anniversary, despite the bummer with your car. Like I told you before, Yosemite is one of my most favorite places - now you know why.
    And tomorrow, your car will be fixed and you both will be on your merry way again, adding more years to your long marriage. Yes indeed, praise the Lord. - P

In Response to Re: August Chats!:
    Wow What a day. We took an all day bus tour through Yosemite. It was magnificent.THe falls, El Capitan, Half dome, the big trees. It was so breathtaking. There is nothing like it. And when we got back I called the mechanic and he has my AC parts and will fix it tomorrow am. Praise the Lord.
    Posted by Ken1935

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

where is everyone...I'm back.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ken,
    I sent you a welcome back greeting on the E-mail notification thread - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, Ken, welcome back!  And, happy anniversary!

Blessings on many more years,
    ~kar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Good morning!

Just returned last night from our trip to Nova Scotia..absolutely perfect!  Beautiful area..we were so surprised at the number of houses that still hang their clothes on the line..we were also so pleased at how friendly the people are and also in Maine..It was hard returning to our fast pace. 

It was suggested by a friend that we try Grappie pie..not one of my favorites but we found fun restaurants with great food.

pingo, the ferry was wonderful..very calm and just beautiful..even saw a dolphin..

Welcome back, Ken..glad you had a good time and got your AC fixed..you definately had a guardian angel looking over your shoulder.

Back to the real world and grocery shopping.

putt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Welcome back putt! Glad you had a marvelous trip and that the Cat was fine. What is a Grappie Pie? - P

Good morning! Just returned last night from our trip to Nova Scotia..absolutely perfect!  Beautiful area..we were so surprised at the number of houses that still hang their clothes on the line..we were also so pleased at how friendly the people are and also in Maine..It was hard returning to our fast pace.  It was suggested by a friend that we try Grappie pie..not one of my favorites but we found fun restaurants with great food. pingo, the ferry was wonderful..very calm and just beautiful..even saw a dolphin.. Welcome back, Ken..glad you had a good time and got your AC fixed..you definately had a guardian angel looking over your shoulder. Back to the real world and grocery shopping. putt
    Posted by putt1

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Welcome back putt! Glad you had a marvelous trip and that the Cat was fine. What is a Grappie Pie? - P In Response to Re: August Chats! :
    Posted by pingo

My question too, what is Grappie pie...You make it with grapes or grapenuts? :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Hi pingo and ken

Grappie (think that's how it's spelled) pie is very much like chicken pie except that instead of having the creamy sauce it is in a jelled fat like on a cold pot roast.   Fortunately, we only ordered one and shared..I always like to try things that the locals recommend.

putt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Hi pingo and ken Grappie (think that's how it's spelled) pie is very much like chicken pie except that instead of having the creamy sauce it is in a jelled fat like on a cold pot roast.   Fortunately, we only ordered one and shared..I always like to try things that the locals recommend. putt
    Posted by putt1

EWWWWW. You are so brave to try it!....Glad you r back August news anyone?  We have the first signs of Moon flowers here////

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: August Chats! : EWWWWW. You are so brave to try it!....Glad you r back August news anyone?  We have the first signs of Moon flowers here////
    Posted by icer

I have only one meager plant, that I just noticed this morning putting out the trash, coming up this year.  I don't believe G.T.'s are doing much better.  All I can think of is all the heavy rain and no drying out for so long must have rotted them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

In Response to Re: August Chats! : I have only one meager plant, that I just noticed this morning putting out the trash, coming up this year.  I don't believe G.T.'s are doing much better.  All I can think of is all the heavy rain and no drying out for so long much have rotted them.
    Posted by toytrumpet

Could be...yours come back ...ours we have to plant every year...I haven't tried the picture thing yet here..maybe I will use them as a first trial run...I have actually been making leaps and bounds on the computer...Nice to hear from you TT

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi putt,
    Thanks for the info. Are you sure it is not spelled 'crab pie' (the first word is purposely misspelled. It should have been a 'p' instead of a 'b', but I was not allowed to use it) - You were courageous to try it. I would not have been able to stomach it.
    Me think that the local, who recommended it to you, does not want you to come back. LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

pingo, you are so right~!  It should have been crab (your spelling) - it was very different, to say the least..

tt - good to hear from you..wondered if you took a vacation too.

putt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"tt - good to hear from you..wondered if you took a vacation too."

I wish.  No, since in all probability I won't be getting away this summer, I have decided to put the saved vacation money into a few changes around the house.  Putting slat blinds in the toyroom, getting a new window treatment for the kitchen slider which is a very large window, a new kitchen ceiling light, and today I've been toying with the idea, no longing I have, to have a very old, inexpensive, small upholstered swivel barrel chair (almost looks as tho it belongs in a bedroom) redone.  I hesitate to call anyone because I don't want to be utterly embarrassed when they take a look at it and declare, it would cost most to reupholster it than to buy a new chair of that quality!  I know it's inexpensive, but the thing is, it fits my body.  I can snuggle and sit up against the back, and my feet actually touch the floor.  I love that chair, but unfortunately it's a color that no longer fits in with my present living room.  For the past 4 years it's been relegated to the unused upstairs rooms.

The kitchen window treatment is a dilemma too.  Since my first trip to Ireland when I brought back Irish lace curtains from Cleary's, a cottage design white lace has hung 3/4 down the window, giving Cheerio room under it to sit on the sill and watch the birds at the feeder.  I think I want a change.  Perhaps some kind of a white slat drop shade that I can draw up during the daylight hours and then drop down for privacy at night.  Something I can dunk in the tub and hang on the line for cleaning.  I've been pouring through magazines and have a couple of pages ripped out.

Glad to hear you had such a good trip.  My money is going elswhere this year, including having new brakes put in the car tomorrow. Nice to see you posting too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Good morning tt

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time making all these changes.  It does give us a lift and I would not hesitate to have your chair reupholstered..that's what makes you comfortable and we all need our "little grains of comfort"  as my aunt used to tell me.  I have always had good luck with curtains and blinds at Ann and Hope on Route 1. They seem to have a good selection.  

My sister had her open heart surgery on Monday and seems to be coming along but is in a lot of pain.  The doctors are talking about releasing her tomorrow and  wanted her to go for rehab as she lives alone and needs 24 hour supervision for at least a week.  I'm waiting to hear the outcome.  She is insisting her family will stay with her round the clock.  I'm not getting involved but did say I would be available for whatever they needed me to do.

Think I'll try exercise class today.  It has been over a week and I really did nothing on the trip except eat, drink and ride.  

Enjoy your day and it is good to hear from you.

putt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning Putt
    Sitting here looking at my email, then clicked over to Boston.Com, and there was your reply!

Yes, when my first thoughts were of just putting a decorative valance at the top of the kitchen window, Ann and Hope was the place I was intending to go.  Now that I'm leaning towards an inexpensive (always "inexpensive" window treatments with me!) drop blind, I'm thinking of checking first with Home Depot and Lowe's since they have a larger selection of widths.  If I end up with a valance to boot, I'll head to A&H - they carry look-alikes of the ones featured in Country Curtains.  Love those country plaids and checks.  I have a lot going on pattern-wise in my kitchen already, with a thin stripe wallpaper, and large plaid chair cushions and rugs.  Like you said, it's fun, even the planning stages.

Glad your sister came through her heart surgery good.  I don't know why the hospitals send patients home before they and their families are ready.  Of course, we all would like to recuperate in our own home, but she's not thinking clearly about the strain on her family members to uproot them from their own homes for a period of time to care for her.  Perhaps she has a fear that once in a rehab she will never leave, a lot of people do fear that.  Yes, this is a time when you would want to do as much as you feel you can to help out.  "Have no regrets" is my motto.

Have to brush my teeth and fluff up my hair, a son is going to follow me down to the garage this morning to leave my car for brakes.  Don't know what time he'll get here, so want to be ready.  This is a regular work day for him (3-11), tho he has to leave much earlier than that to get into Boston during the mid day.  Have a good one.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

"Think I'll try exercise class today.  It has been over a week and I really did nothing on the trip except eat, drink and ride.  "

Putt, that is a wonderful idea. I did a lot of that too, but we did manage some walking. At Hoover Dam the only place to walk was a long way from the visitor center, and down a long flight of stairs...but she did it, (I carried the walker up and down the stairs, tho) . We went right back to our routines at the Fitness Center Tuesday, but it was tough. Our bodies did not want to move.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Mothermitzi, are you back from Maine?  I thought you were only going for a long week-end, but you may have decided to stay longer.  Or, you may just be taking a break from the boards.  We all do that from time to time.  Hope you and your father are well and that is no other illness going on in your family.  If you can, pop in and write a few lines to let us know you're OK.  Miss your posts.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

tt - I did my fair share of Country Curtains until I realized how often my taste changes and would be better off paying less.  It used to be Walmart or Target but once I discovered A and H that's where I seem to end up.  Your kitchen sounds very country and homey.  Still no word on when my sister is coming home but the kids would like her to stay one more day.  It is a lot to ask of them but she has always put her comforts first.  Not sure why she feels the way she does about the rehab..you could be right.

ken - I never got to exercise today.  The heat and humidity was very high and there is no air conditioning..thought it would be best to start fresh on Monday.  You are smart to keep you and Mrs. Ken so active.  I know how much better I feel with a regular exercise schedule.

My air conditioning feels so good today I am perfectly content to read my book and get ready to watch Family Feud.  I think John O'Herlihy is great~

putt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

yeah.....THe store tell me my computer is ready to be picked up tomorrow morning.  Well it should be good. It has a new OS, a new mother board and a new hard drive. That makes it practicall a new computer except for the processor.....and my warranty covered it all....but 2 months wait is ridiculous. Not a good advertisement for Geek Squad

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning Ken,
    I am sure you are looking forward to have your computer back. I found out yesterday, that I don't get the forum's e-mails due to all the spam filters my boys have put on my new machine. Maybe you have the same problem.
    Somehow my e-mail had 'locked-up'. So I went into my old e-mail 'Squirrel Mail' on Firefox, (which they kept running on this machine as well) and there were all my e-mails from the forum.

I just read an article this morning in my home country paper about "The Toughest Sheriff in USA": Joe Arpaio in Phoenix. Tent jail and pink underwear. No smoking and only 3 TV channels: Disney, the Food Channel and the Weather Channel. Ken you better behave. LOL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

I get email notification EVERY  time someone posts on this this thread, not just when replying to my post.
    Yes, we know about the tough Sheriff. We don't have much use for him. THe only thing I like about him is that he is trying to get rid of the illegals.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Pingo -I have heard of that Sheriff!  Good for him!  Staying cool today?  I'm trying to think of what to do.  I would like to go to Rockport or something, but I don't know if I'll be able to talk my husband into it. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pingo -I have heard of that Sheriff!  Good for him!  Staying cool today?  I'm trying to think of what to do.  I would like to go to Rockport or something, but I don't know if I'll be able to talk my husband into it. 
    Posted by princess-cal

I know this post wasn't to me, but I just came in from doing a little grocery shopping and picking up a couple of things for the kids (I'm babysitting tonight), and I say, "STAY IN THE AC HOUSE"! It is soooo humid out there.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello princess,
    Rockport is nice - but I don' t think I would go there today. We have been promised heavy rain and thunderstorms this afternoon.
    Hubby went to a construction site this morning. When he gets back we are planning to hit an early movie. "Julie and Julia". Everyone thinks it is a very nice movie.
    Maybe we will eat out after that. Got a coupon to Outback for one free dinner. How can one say no to that. I am not surprised at all, they are advertising like that. We have gone there in the past and the place was packed - 2 hours wait. But lately we have been able to walk right in and get seated. Guess it is a sign of the times. Unfortunately.
    Well have a nice weekend, whatever you might be doing. - Pingo

Sections
Shortcuts