August - for real - Chat!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

August - for real - Chat!

Good morning all,
    I am still blushing from my mistake a week ago, but here we have it - August. The last month of summer, which this year have been exceptional in this area, as far as the weather is concerned.
    tt, it sounds like your Saturday went beyond expectations. GT cut down your dead scrub - I guess you really could not complain. But your birdbath with the Wax Begonia will look lovely there, I am sure.
    Great that nanny friend could stop be for some laughs. Isn't it wonderful, when the kids' friends stop by to see you? We have a few coming by, whether the boys are home or not. Of course some of them used to spend more time here, than they did at home. Hard to believe, they are now mature (more or less) adults - when I used to put  band aids  on their scrapes. Now they come with their own kids with band aids on their scrapes. And your lunch  was a success. Sorry about your dressing. But it is the thoughts that count.
    Kar, I have never made mayo with electric help. Always use a small bowl and small whisk - I feel I can control it better. Also, I use only the egg yolk, not the white - and then I whisk the life out of it with 1/2 teaspoon salt before I add anything else. Then I add 1/2 Tbs. vinegar and a couple of Tbs. oil (not extra virgin, just regular) whisking it in well, before I slowly add the rest of the oil (about 3/4 cup) continuously whisking until it all emulsifies and get thickened. Some times I add more, sometimes I add less. It all depends on the size of the egg yolk, the room temp. and the humidity, I guess. If it separates, I just start all over with another egg yolk. When it is all done I add the seasonings (lemonjuice, mustard, herbs and such) to taste. Also, I make sure all the ingredients have the the same temperature, before I start.
    I just got my monthly e-newsletter from Kripalu. I have their cookbook, but I also have bookmarked some of their newer recipes. You, with your lovely veggie path may enjoy some of their recipes:
    http://www.kripalu.org/article/270
    Their monthly newsletter always has some great tips and recipes. They used to be all vegetarian, but now incorporate chicken and fish.
    Have a great Sunday everyone - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: August - for real - Chat!

Good morning,

My new routine of paper and coffee pick up before 7 a.m. continues.  The streets are so quiet then.  I love it.  Started the paper crossword but not really into it this morning.  Have opened the shade in here for Cheerio to stretch out in the sun on the bed.  The birds have adjusted beautifully to the moved birdbath, in fact, seem to prefer it there.  I've tried to snap a pic of them lined up all around the rim, but when I even open the door they all take off.  Later in the day when I'm sitting out back I'll take my camera with me and see if I can take a surprise pic.

Took some stew meat out of the freezer to make a stew.  Seems like a good day for it.  Friend who is leaving to come up from Fla tomorrow, called last night to see what weather is forecast for this next week.  They will be leaving behind terrible humidity where she lives, Venice.  I told her I hoped they weren't flying right into more.  Haven't seen the week's forecast, so we'll hope for the best.  Looking forward to meeting with her for lunch, it's been a lot of years.  Would much rather have her come and spend the day with us, but she and her husband have a lot crammed into 7 or 8 days, so am glad to get to spend a couple of hours with her.

Too good a day to not get some of the cleaning I want to to do done before Weirs company next Saturday, so I'm heading into the toyroom now and give that the usual straightening up.  At least that room is the most likely to stay picked up for the week, once I do it.  Enjoy your Sunday, I'll be out back in the afternoon if you stop by and don't get an answer at the front door.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How thick does your mayo end up being, pingo, like store bought?  thanks for the tips!  I haven't had trouble with breaking, but it only gets thick enough to thickly coat a spoon.  I was hoping for a consistency/thickness like that of store bought.

tt, I wrote you in the other August. :)

Indeed, too nice a day not to take advantage.  DH is out with Gracie, and I need to shake a leg around here!

Have a great Sunday, all.

~kar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Did Gracie keep your secret?

I decided a priority I wanted to get done was to wipe down the kitchen cabinets with Murphy's oil soap, so just finished that.  Did the kitchen chairs while I was at it.  Trying to adjust my eyes to the tiny print of a library book I want to read.  Wondered why they used such a small type, and then realized the book is big as it is, and if they had used the regular sized type people wouldn't take it out!  Sounds interesting to me - a little bit of witchcraft when modern Cambridge lawyer returns to the family home in Gloucester and finds journal of an ancester, a Druid princess and magician who lived in Dogtown (Gloucester) during the period of Salem witch trials.  I'm sure there will be a lot of local color that I'll be familiar with.  Dogtown was part of Gloucester/Lanesville where my Fla friend who passed away at Easter spent her summers.  As many times as I visited her there, and we drove by the sign "Dogtown", she never took me up that road to see what's actually there now.  Any how, that's how I plan to spend my afternoon - in the backyard with "Memoirs of a Shape-Shifter".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

My mayo gets thick - not quite as thick as the commercial, but thick - and definitely a lot thicker than Hollandaise.

In Response to Re: August - for real - Chat!:
    How thick does your mayo end up being, pingo, like store bought?  thanks for the tips!  I haven't had trouble with breaking, but it only gets thick enough to thickly coat a spoon.  I was hoping for a consistency/thickness like that of store bought. tt, I wrote you in the other August. :) Indeed, too nice a day not to take advantage.  DH is out with Gracie, and I need to shake a leg around here! Have a great Sunday, all. ~kar
    Posted by kargiver

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good grief - it's one of those romance novels!  I hate them.  Well, I'm skim reading through it until I get to the part where she finds the journal - that's what I'm interested in.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good Morning all,

TT, my mom lives in Venice, FL and has been telling me about how humid it has been.  I guess it's been the hottest summer there, after coldest winter.  I am hoping she can come up for a visit next month sometime, she will be happy to feel the beautiful Sept weather here.

This weekend was so nice, the mornings were almost fall-like.  Took advantage of them and had a couple of "puppy play dates" with friends and their dogs. 

Hope everyone has a great day - looks like another beauty.  Although I am stuck in the office, at least I have a nice big window I can look out and see the sunshine!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gracie is a great keeper of secrets, tt!

Pingo, I saw a chef on the home network make mayo (what timing, huh?), and I got a few tips.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Will probably try again today.  Without the salt and with 100% organic extra virgin olive oil it's a good condiment for us on our last week on the diet.   How is your acai cleanse going? 

Sunshine - glad you are still able to work.  How have you been feeling?  Gaining energy, we hope.  My DH has a glass wall in his office, but I'm not sure it helps too much, maybe even hurts as he gazes out and wishes he were in the garden.

BG, are you still preparing zillions of veggies with me?  Last night I chopped no short of an hour:  beets, carrots, broccoli, zuccini, summer squash, onions, garlic......thankfully, DH grows, picks, and washes them all outside for me.  Only store bought item was the garlic.  Can we grow that here?  I know it's big in CA.

Monday, again.  DH is in the massage chair, and I better finish packing his lunch before he comes down and races out the door.

Blessings
    ~kar

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, I'm so glad you enjoyed the banana bread recipe.  I don't like walnuts so I only put them in there if I'm making it for someone who likes them. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    Nice to hear from you princess. So glad you are doing better. Hopefully, your mom can come for a visit. We have friends in Florida. In the past we have spend a few days w/ them during the winter, but this year, they told us not to come - the winter there was just terrible.
    Good to hear you are back to work.
    Have a nice day - Pingo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Asking for all of you to remember in your prayers a little 6 year old son of friends of my youngest son.  He just underwent surgery this week-end at Children's Hospital for removal of a brain tumor.  They weren't able to remove all the tumor.  He has a long road ahead of him of chemo and radiation.  If you'd be so kind as to include him in your prayers, we would be most grateful.  Thanks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt,
    Tears well in my eyes writing this. So, so sad. Of course you can count on me for including him and his family in my prayers. When I hear of someone so sick, it hurts. But when it is a child, with a long life ahead - it double hurts. He may not understand, but his parents, family and friends do.
    - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, dear, tt.  Of course, you can count on prayers here, too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Good morning, Asking for all of you to remember in your prayers a little 6 year old son of friends of my youngest son.  He just underwent surgery this week-end at Children's Hospital for removal of a brain tumor.  They weren't able to remove all the tumor.  He has a long road ahead of him of chemo and radiation.  If you'd be so kind as to include him in your prayers, we would be most grateful.  Thanks.
    Posted by toytrumpet

~~hugs and prayers to the little one and his family~~

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

He will be in my thoughts and prayers too TT.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

Me too!   Sure makes our own little problems pale by comparison.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

T.t. ,I'm so sorry for that little boy and his parents. My thoughts and prayers are with them. I do believe in the power of prayer. b.g

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning all,

Thank you all who responded - I strongly believe in the power of group prayers.  I know the many group prayer lines that were started (one here with you, my friends) for my DIL when she went through her breast cancer ordeal helped her both deal with the set backs, and to maintain a positive spirit.  This little guy is so young.  It's hard to wipe away the terrible dreams the morphine is causing and assure him that the "bad guys in the yellow jackets" aren't coming to take him away forever.

I don't want to put a pall on the thread.  I know it hits home when we hear of a little one having to go through this.  We all have young ones in our lives that "there but for the grace of God - - - - -".  I will let you know how things go, but otherwise I won't be on the boards for a while.  Not to worry, I'm just too sad to have anything to share right now.  Thank you again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, we'll miss you, be thinking of you and your dear ones, and praying.  Hope you'll check in once in awhile if you can.

~kar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

tt - we'll miss you, take care.  You and the young boy are in our thoughts.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, take care of yourself.  All of you are in my prayers as well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt,
    We will miss you here. But I do understand you. There are times in our lives, where we want to be alone with our thoughts. Please check in once in a while to let us know of the progress of this little patient.  - Pingo

Good morning all, Thank you all who responded - I strongly believe in the power of group prayers.  I know the many group prayer lines that were started (one here with you, my friends) for my DIL when she went through her breast cancer ordeal helped her both deal with the set backs, and to maintain a positive spirit.  This little guy is so young.  It's hard to wipe away the terrible dreams the morphine is causing and assure him that the "bad guys in the yellow jackets" aren't coming to take him away forever. I don't want to put a pall on the thread.  I know it hits home when we hear of a little one having to go through this.  We all have young ones in our lives that "there but for the grace of God - - - - -".  I will let you know how things go, but otherwise I won't be on the boards for a while.  Not to worry, I'm just too sad to have anything to share right now.  Thank you again.
    Posted by toytrumpet

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    You can grow garlic here. It has to be planted in the fall though. You simply pull apart the cloves from a head and stick them in the soil. It will multiply, just like any other bulb. I used to do it in my old home, but haven't where I live now.
    Fresh garlic is great, but the problem is to dry them and store them. After a few tries, I decided it was not worth my effort. But you may have more luck than I. Go for it.
    My Acai cleansing is almost done. Friday I will start on the juice fast. Can't wait.
    - Pingo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks for the info on the garlic.  We grow lots of onions and dry them.  Does the garlic take special care?  We just leave the onions out in the sun.  They seem to do OK.

How do you feel for having done the acai cleanse?  Juice fast after that?  Not to be a mother hen, but you do clear that with your doctor regarding the diabetes, right?  There's a ton of sugar in fruit juice, of course.  Maybe you could do more vegetable juice than fruit.  We have a juicer, and carrot juice is to die for imo.  Cabbage juice is 90 something% effective in curing stomach ulcers, too, according to Dr. Oz, one of DH's favorite shows that we tape and watch about every night.

Gotta get some errands done.  Worked out on the mini stepper (the $100 one from Brookstone works GREAT) while watching an episode of 24 (Season 2).  I'm raring to go save the world, but will settle for doing our banking. :)

Good afternoon, all,
    ~kar

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar, Have you not watched 24 before?  That's one of our favorite shows.  It will be sad enxt year as that and Lost are gone now. 

Sections
Shortcuts