baby shower for out of town mom

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from aspymom. Show aspymom's posts

baby shower for out of town mom

I'm planning a shower for my daughter,Yes, usually done by her friends, but her closest have moved too My daughter lives out of state and is flying in. A couple of her friends will fly in as well! How do I tactfully suggest that any equiptment gifts be sent straight to her house.  It's just silly to have guests lug things here when most stores have free shipping for items ordered over the internet. Also considering how much it will cost to ship after the shower. The guests will be my family and friends who have been anxiously awaiting when the shower will be! She's due in Oct. I'm planning the shower for late Aug. The younger contigent seemed to assume that people will know to ship but I don't know how to spread the word. Thanks
    memere

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: baby shower for out of town mom

I agree the younger crowd should know to ship.  The problem comes with the opening of gifts at the shower - those who had their gift shipped to her house don't get to have their gift showcased at the shower, and they look like they didn't give the mom-to-be anything.

I think you are struggling with this because there is no tactful way to suggest it.

If she only registers for things that shouldn't need to be shipped, she can use the gift cards and cash for the larger items and buy them at home.  Otherwise, if you want to be correct about it you have to let people do what they're going to do and deal with whatever you get.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

aspymom,
    I agree with Kargiver, there is absolutely no tactful way to solve your dilemma. You have to hope, that your guests have sense enough to have items shipped to your daughters address. If they don't, you just have to bite the bullet and have the gifts shipped. An added expense - definitely. But consider it a part of your budget of giving the shower. Maybe you can cut down on something else.
    The majority of the gifts - like clothing and smaller items can be packed in an extra  suitcase your daughter can check in when she returns home. You can bring the rest, when you go and see the newborn, which I am sure you will. Some items can even be packed in a box, you can check in. Larger items - like a diaper pail f. ex. - can be stuffed with smaller items and clothing. Make sure you utilize all the empty space.
    All that said, the fun at the shower IS opening the gifts. I would think a shower opening 25 gift cards would be a very boring one.
    Good luck with your shower planning!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I assume you'll be talking to these close friends and family members between now and the shower. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying something like "Sue and her daughters are chipping in for a car seat.  They're going to have it shipped directly to Mary and Tom but they're wrapping up a picture of it for Mary to open at the shower.  Great idea, huh?"

Obviously, you can take care of shipping whatever "normal" size presents she gets, including all those lovely homemade baby quilts and booties.  (check out the new USPS one-price priority shipping ads - one set price for any box under 70 lbs.)

Have fun! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Sometimes unwrapping a picture is enough.     Cosmo's suggestion of hinting at how practical someone doing this is - without instructing anyone,  I think hits the right note.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Great idea Cos!