Back from LA!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Back from LA!

Good morning all Chat friends,
    So, we are back from LA. I am still floating in dream land. We had 4 wonderful days attending our son's commencement.  These 4 days were absolutely beautiful and emotional.
    Mr. P and I arrived Wednesday around noontime, but since we all came in at different times, we spent the day going back and forth to the airport. The "graduate" didn't come until 10pm and we had to go and pick up his gown at his lab. A friend of his was kind enough to pick it up for him, before the book store closed.
    The next morning we had to be on campus at 7 am for the Hooding Ceremony. Partially for our son to check in and partially for us to get a parking space and a good seat. So I was up at 4:30 to iron a gown. Believe me, it was a challenge with all the folds.
    The Hooding Ceremony was the most memorable of the the entire commencement. Every PhD candidate went up on stage and was hooded by their advisor/professor. Lots of hugs and tears.
    That evening we took all our son's lab colleges/friends out for dinner. 14 in all. Such a nice bunch of young men. We went to an all-you-can eat Korean Barbecue. It was wonderful. They serve you a huge plate of whatever meat you want with tons of sides. You cook everything yourself on burners on your table. A great choice for a large group. Mr. P and I were delighted to meet all our son's friends - such a nice bunch.
    The next day was the main commencement. Again we had to be there at at least at 7am. The commencement was outside. The campus is just beautiful. Everything get spruced up for this event. Red and yellow flowers (the USC's colors) were abundant everywhere. Everything that a paint brush could touch had a new coat of paint.
    We were lucky to get a parking space on campus and good seats close up front. But it really didn't matter b/c there were speakers and large TV screens all over.
    There were over 6000 students graduating. PhDs, Masters and Bachelors.
    The main commencement speaker, who also got an honorary degree - was Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. He was absolutely fantastic. I did not expect much from him. But he was funny and spoke to the heart of the young people. He didn't speak as the Governor or the Terminator, but he spoke as Arnold. He did win some brawny points from me.
    After the ceremony, there was a luncheon at the Computer Science Department for it's students and their guests. So we had a delicious lunch there. Great food - not the usual boring pasta salad. A nice touch I thought.
    That afternoon there was a ceremony for the graduates in the Engineering Department. That was a ceremony we could have missed. So boring.
    In the evening we went for Thai food - one of our son's favorite places. They have an "Elvis" performing. Great food again. Of course we had our son order - and we were not disappointed. We went to bed and decided NO ALARM clock the next morning.
    The following morning we got up whenever. We went for Dim Sum in Chinatown and met with friends of our sons from back here in Boston, who have now settled in LA.
    Then we went to Disney Land. Haha! We just wanted to relax and get all the official "dust" öff our shoulders. Had a wonderful time there. My favorite is "It's a Small World". The family sans me - was doing all the rides, while I was watching their cameras and such. Such a great day.
    And of course the good things always have an end. But we all left with such good memories. Only negative part was, that after several days of tripping around, my arthritis really reminded me. My hips gave out. At Disney, I could barely walk, but the "kids" had a great time - and that was a pleasure for me.
    Now we are back, and I spend yesterday resting and doing laundry. Today I will be back at the office and the daily rut begins, but these past 4 days will stay in my memory forever.
    I know this was long. Just hope I didn't bore you too much - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Re: Back from LA!

Oh that sounds like a fantastic trip, etc. I'm sure your are very proud of him. And it's so nice that the weather was good too. And cooking your own food at a restaurant....now that is something you don't find every day. I am so happy for you.

Well the time is drawing close for our departure to GA. My son will be picking us up to take us to the airport in just about 24 hours. I looked ahead at the forecast for where we will be and every day except Wed they have showers or thunder showers forecast...Guess I can leave my swim suit at homeCool

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

pingo

Welcome back!!!  What a wonderful trip, I felt like I was right there with you.  You must be so proud.

Relax now and take care of your arthritis.

putt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes Ken, we are indeed proud of him. 6 years of hard work. We were very happy to meet his adviser some of his friends - they were all great (plus polite and respectful) guys.
    Wishing you and Mrs. Ken a wonderful trip to GA. Hope you will have a great time, despite the weather. - Pingo

[QUOTE]Oh that sounds like a fantastic trip, etc. I'm sure your are very proud of him. And it's so nice that the weather was good too. And cooking your own food at a restaurant....now that is something you don't find every day. I am so happy for you. Well the time is drawing close for our departure to GA. My son will be picking us up to take us to the airport in just about 24 hours. I looked ahead at the forecast for where we will be and every day except Wed they have showers or thunder showers forecast...Guess I can leave my swim suit at home
    Posted by Ken1935[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pingo - so glad to have you back.  We've carried on valiantly these days you've been gone, but it wasn't the same.  You got back just in time - Ken leaves tomorrow and Mothermitzi Thursday.  Everyone has hopped in and posted, but we'll be glad to have your contributions now.

What a wonderful graduation.  I'm so happy for you.  You did well to be up and down and all around for all those days.  I'm sure you took lots of pictures too.  Now, as you say, back to the real life.

I'll post more later, just got in from:  library volunteering, greenhouse for cemetery flowers, and I tossed in a side trip to St & Sh to grocery shop, since I was craving a SUB!  Didn't buy one, but did get some of that nice seeded top bread, ham, cheese, tomato and pickle to make my own.  Boy did that taste good.  Man is just finishing up painting my bulkhead for me, and then I'll put my feet up a while before going to my son's to sit til 11:00.  Did pick up some books at the library for the kids - from the book sale that is always ongoing.  They'll be pleased - I hope.

TTYL
    Did I tell you I'm glad you're back?!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ken,  lest I forget - have a safe and happy trip. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

[QUOTE]Oh that sounds like a fantastic trip, etc. I'm sure your are very proud of him. And it's so nice that the weather was good too. And cooking your own food at a restaurant....now that is something you don't find every day. I am so happy for you. Well the time is drawing close for our departure to GA. My son will be picking us up to take us to the airport in just about 24 hours. I looked ahead at the forecast for where we will be and every day except Wed they have showers or thunder showers forecast...Guess I can leave my swim suit at home
    Posted by Ken1935[/QUOTE]

Ken

Have a wonderful time with your family -

putt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Welcome back my dear on-line friend Pingo

Safe journey Ken And MM

Be sure to post accurate accounts of your trips! when u get back of coarse

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Icer,

I've looked and looked and can't make out what your avatar is??  It looks like a bathroom water faucet, but I don't know what the white thing is?

From toytrumpet, evidently not your "dear on-line friend"!  (she said with a toss of her Irish head)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I beleive Icer told us this avatar is a patch of violets in her yard. I agree with you it is really difficult to see, what it is even though you know what it is supposed to be. - Pingo

[QUOTE]Hi Icer, I've looked and looked and can't make out what your avatar is??  It looks like a bathroom water faucet, but I don't know what the white thing is? From toytrumpet, evidently not your "dear on-line friend"!  (she said with a toss of her Irish head)
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OOPS! Funny, when I posted few minutes ago I saw the patch of violets - now a new avatar from icer just sprung up. What is is Icer? Please tell us. - Pingo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Wasn't that the one before this?  This one looks like gold bathroom faucets over a white bathroom scale - - -

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

It is our new bathroom sink and the floor.. You guys get ready to bust a gut!

Last week when I was out for my morning run,, There was this sink put out for rubbish..The fixtures are recommended by the artheritis foundation and they just look so pretty. I think ...if you look you can also see the floor tile we selected...we got a deal on those too...Building 19...the tiles had a few blemishes...Honey put those under the washer/dryer.

The first picture I toook had the toilet in it, but I was affraiid I would get sensored but I will post a ffew different angles.

The idea of this room is...She will be able to do laundry, put her clothes awy shower and get dressed in the same room.

Happy posting

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

And a very special Hello to my dear on-line friend TT