Beef in Stores from Other Countries?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Beef in Stores from Other Countries?

Has anyone else noticed this - I stopped in Stop and Shop today and was looking at the 85% ground beef, when I noticed stamped in black on the cellophane of several packages, but not all, "USA - Mexico - Canada" !  I've never seen this stamped on any beef packages before.  When I'm buying produce I'm always careful to select only those that say "product of USA", but now I wonder how many times, without even knowing it, I have purchased beef or for that matter, other meat, where the source has come from other countries.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: Beef in Stores from Other Countries?

That is interesting tt. Never even noticed that either. I guess I always expected, that meat would be a product of the US of A.
    I also always try to buy products grown and raised in US. But it has become more and more difficult. Sometimes the stores do announce form where their products come but not always.
    Talking about S & S - I bought corn there yesterday. They were the sweetest corn we ever had. So delicious. Now I just wonder from where they came. - P

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Pingo,

I noticed the place of origin listed on their individual green produce signs, right under say "red peppers" - which by the way the orange and yellow said, I think, Holland.  Green peppers were USA.  In their meat section there was a sign saying all Stop and Shop chicken was from USA.  Maybe this is something new they are doing because of the latest flu.  I've been comfortable all these years assuming all the meat I bought was raised and slaughtered here in the US.  Comfortable, because I felt our health inspections, though faulty, were a heck of a lot stricter than other countries.  Now, who knows where it came from?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello tt,
    I am sure you are right about the health inspections. Even though - as you say - they are not always up to par.
    The last time I went meat shopping I was looking - really looking. I used to see something like "USDA" on the meat packages (and I felt safe) - not always there any longer, so I pass it. I guess the Union workers have pushed the price so high in this country, that the consumers can no longer afford to buy US products, and we have to resort to 2nd grade meat and produce.
    On and off we get meat from my son's in-laws' ranch in TX. It is definitely the best ever. I don't have to worry about antibiotics and whatever commercial producers  feed the animals these days. These animals go on the pasture and are fed good old fashioned feed.
    I have been very diligently washing any produce coming my way. I am not sure,  how much it helps. Last week I bought a watermelon. When I washed it - and I use SOAP and water, I couldn' t believe how dirty it was. (Why do I wash it? When you cut it, you will transfer the dirt to the melon you eat. )
    I am not a fanatic by any means, but I do care about my health of my family and myself.

Sections
Shortcuts