Beer can chicken on a grill a la Icer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Beer can chicken on a grill a la Icer

Okey Doke it is time to start dinner and this one takes a while. Honey just went to fill our propane tank so our grilling experience will not be interupted. This takes a while anyway but we will find that out together.
    The ingredients are
    1 whole chicken I got a Perdue.
    1 can of beer...Honey drinks Budweiser so that is what we are using
    Pour some of the beer out of the can I show the glass of beer so you can figure about how much
    I am using 2 cloves of garlic...going to put that in the can of beer
    I am using a rub for the outside of the chicken...these last t

wo items are optional

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Re: Beer can chicken on a grill a la Icer

Well I cleaned the chicken and removed the inner bag, did the rub on the outside of the skin and put the cloves of garlic in the beer...had to slice the garlic so it would fit...I turn the whole chicken up over the can and put the chicken over the can,thus filling the chicken cavity with the can of beer

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I used a real strudy plate to get the chicken with the beer can inserted from point a to point b...The grill..The grill is on med heat from here I expect to be eating dinner aroun 6-6:30..Already it smells pretty good though.

I put the real sturdy plate in the dishwasher and got myself another real sturdy plate for when the chicken is done. I will also need two oven gloves when the chicken is done but as I stated, that won't be for a while.

I will post a picture of the finished product when its done. I am going to grill a couple of ears of corn too Looks like a conversation starter though doesn't it?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi Icer - that looks really good. - Glad you told us, what time dinner will be ready. But two corn will not be enough.  - Be prepared for a crowd. Hehe!!!

One question though. Why do you need to remove some of the beer?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

In Response to Re: Beer can chicken on a grill a la Icer:
    [QUOTE]Hi Icer - that looks really good. - Glad you told us, what time dinner will be ready. But two corn will not be enough.  - Be prepared for a crowd. Hehe!!! One question though. Why do you need to remove some of the beer?
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]
    I took out some beer because The beer will steam and expand and I don't want the grill to steam up and maybe put itself out.

The chicken comes out so gloriously tender and I wanted to share before the up-coming weekend...There may be cookout in one of our futures
    I like the ability to post the pictures..I think it paints a clear image don't you?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Okey Doke..Ready to remove the chicken and corn on the cob..I am going to use my mitten type gloves because I grab at the can to move the chicken on to a clean and sturdy plate..I am going to let the grill cool down a little before I do that and even after that I let the chicken"rest" a little before cutting

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Dinner is served. Thank you for your interest

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh my - that looks really, REALLY good. How long did it actually take cooking it on medium? And how much did the chicken weigh?
    My griller son in TX will be coming home on Friday (his wife could not make it :( due to some party, she is hosting for a friend) --- maybe I can talk him into grilling this chicken. I would love to try it. He has a very fancy grill (for which we paid half and his in-laws the other half - anniversary gift) and grill all the time. I am kind of nervous around grills. But I do love the taste of grilled food.
    Icer, thanks for sharing this recipe w/ pictures. Love, Pingo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]Well I cleaned the chicken and removed the inner bag, did the rub on the outside of the skin and put the cloves of garlic in the beer...had to slice the garlic so it would fit...I turn the whole chicken up over the can and put the chicken over the can,thus filling the chicken cavity with the can of beer
    Posted by icer[/QUOTE]

Just got in.  Great step by step pictures, Icer.  A couple of questions, in this picture it looks as tho you can see the tab top of the can of beer -- don't you set the chicken over the open top of the beer can so that if you tipped the chicken you would see the bottom of the can?
    Also, can this be cooked in a regular oven?  What temp and how long?  I have no grill.
    You're right, it's a great conversation dish.  Thanks for the great pics.  You're getting to be quite the expert with getting the pics online.  --  I'm hungry!  Any leftovers??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I think Icer just didn't remove the entire tap. Just kind of opened the can, let out some of the beer and then proceeded. Yes, if you turn the entire thing upside down, you would see the bottom of the beer can. I am answering some of your questions, because I think Icer is busy eating her delicious chicken. LOL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I thought after all of this, we were all invited!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

[QUOTE]tt, I think Icer just didn't remove the entire tap. Just kind of opened the can, let out some of the beer and then proceeded. Yes, if you turn the entire thing upside down, you would see the bottom of the beer can. I am answering some of your questions, because I think Icer is busy eating her delicious chicken. LOL
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]
    I was busy eating lol.. I must confess this is a true winner. I did just open the beer..leaving it open in the cavity of the chicken With out the pictures I think it would be impossible to describe,

The chicken was a little better than two lbs..On the grill time for us was a little better than an hour..I could go back and check the times on the post but close enough.

TT I am not sure if it would work in an oven but there is nothing in my head that says"you couldn't do it because..."

Our grill is just a regular size...It really was very delicious

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

[QUOTE]I thought after all of this, we were all invited!
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

I can't type TT my fingers are sticky...chuckle

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beer can chicken on a grill a la Icer : I can't type TT my fingers are sticky...chuckle
    Posted by icer[/QUOTE]

You nasty, nasty girl!  Now I have to scout around and find something to eat that's going to satisfy me after all those mouth watering descriptions and pictures!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beer can chicken on a grill a la Icer : You nasty, nasty girl!  Now I have to scout around and find something to eat that's going to satisfy me after all those mouth watering descriptions and pictures!
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]
    Just returning the favor my dear...lest we forget last week on thY&R thread..mwa ha ha (wringing hands)