Bird thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Bird thread

Hello to All my chatter friends. I have found what appears to be a reasonable resource or all our bird related questions.

I have listened to this program and have heard the host Ray Brown respond to questions about birds up and down our coast. Malboro,Concord, Amherst. East orleans, Newbury port. Just for a few examples

I have been working on some of the suggestions that are not costly. I reallly haven't had enough time to give opinions on workability, but I thought I would share the link to the episode that peaked my interest.

In this episode Ray answers questions about sparcity of birds, and birdbaths in the winter. It last a half hour and the program airs down here on WATD 95.9 It is a local station with local commercials, sorry about that folks.

I understand this program is syndicated but dont know where else. The specific episode is...O.k the link didn't work.

When this happens I feel it is a copyright issue and I know we don't want to steal so I will tell you this On the site there is a forums page. There is n opportunity to listenn too episodes there for free. The episode I am working on aired Dec 13 or 14 it is listed both ways

www.talkinbirds.com  

Now lets test em out    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: Bird thread

So, I'm confused, being that I'm unknowledgeable about Ipods etc. and don't have a radio (?)
    Are we able to download any of these episodes onto our computer or do we have to have special stuff?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I used my computer to listen to the episode I heard on the 13th of December..

It answered questions about why ccertain birds did not seem to be around any more. That was interesting but the watering segment is what I have been working on.

There was a guest speaker "Mike" He aluded to heated bird baths that you can buy like that. Well ole Icer got out a foot spa that we had and plugged it into where we had Xmas lights. That took a little while for the birds to "warm" up to it.So, that suggestion needs alittle work but there was another suggestion of using an empty gallon container and poking holes in it so that water drips on to where you have a bird bath. The idea is that you want to keep the water moving. This way it is less likelly to freeze and the movement of the water will supposedly attract more birds.

I was looking for succes over a little time before I took pictures of any thing in particular.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

As we all know I am not the best at computer stuff but I will try again to post a link that works. I did post 2 but they did not work so I deleted them. But you guys can't see that

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I just e-mail the admministrator for help.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I thought the link you emailed worked, it brought me right into his website and I could click on whatever I wanted, but saw that it mentioned downloading, I thought, onto IPods.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

you are correct,TT,but i was able to get another bird related site that miraculously brought me to the radio broadcast that i heard before. for some reason, i can't find that site again and it would not reproduce to bcd site. i will either give the info myself or figure it out. my apologies...i guess i jumped the gun.

I think it is worth it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/

The link above is to a website from Cornell U. that I have found to be useful.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Thanks Hats for the info.

TT you are absolutly right, lets do this experiment Chatter style. I will attach my experiments and ask any one with an opinion of worth to weigh in.

I hope I am not asking for trouble.

Today I am doing the gallon of milk container experiment.
    I have attached pictures.First off I used an empty gallon of milk container. I wanted to

not use a clear container. I poked holes in the bottom. Too many holes next time I will do one or two. I hung the container over the birdbath thing and am allowing the water to trickle in.

Of coarse the real pay off will be in the morning when birds come or not, but I wanted to get everything in place today.

o.k I got the pictures reversed. Sorry but I do think you can see where we might get some pictures from this vantage point. Heres to looking forward to tomorow.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

On a cold night won't the water in the milk container freeze solid - and stop dripping?  The reason I ask is that my birdbath has a crack and does a slow leak to the ground (or if I've put a saucer there, a saucer).  When it's below 32, no drip.

I saw some show where they had a chain apparatus connected to their gutter and the water trickled down that (?)

Squirrels were at my birdbath this morning trying to poke down below the snow to find water to drink.  Today, actually there is water at the bases of my two back gutters which end about 3" off the ground.  Can't see from inside the house whether or not the birds/squirrels are utilizing this.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I set everything up but I am going to take it inside overnight. I did however put a little water in the gallon cotainer and rest it on its side and placed in the freezer.

I did want to set stuff up today because it is mild and you can move things. I guess this week is going to be mild too. But as you know, all of a sudden we will go down to those frozen temps whereupon the water is not available for the birds. and that will be when it gets interesting.

I also wanted a good vantage point for picture taking from inside.

I figure it will take a bit too for the birds to get used to this stuff. They might not take to it right away.

For myself however, I can't wait to get up tomorow to see what happens

That Chain apparatus you speak of sounds a lot like what we have put up. Great minds....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Any birds this morning, Icer?  It may take a day or two for them to check it out before they venture near it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I think you are right TT. Also, Where we are ...we are expecting a lot of rain. Birds know that.

I think this might be a quiet thread till the end of the week when we get back to winter.

I will be up-dating though

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Today's diners.  They are two different sets of birds.  I think the one on our right in the second photo is a chickadee? - we don't see to many of those, usually just the finches.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Holy Cow, is it me, or do you have a lot of snow, Kar?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, Liz. :)  You're seeing the snowpiles from my DH's plowing of the driveway!  But, yeah, we do.  We live out near the Quabbin at about 1000 feet.  When I lived in Framingham, I used to laugh at the people out here...whoops.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

We have a TON of snow falling right now....here in Allston. But none of it is sticking. Yay! It is actually quit beautiful!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Heard the high today will only get to 18 - any tips on providing the water today, Icer?  Has your new system attracted any birds yet?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Well, I have had some action, but have not had any good picture taking opportunitiies.

Also, and this is very funny to me anyway.
    Last weekend we set everything up for the birds to feed and be watered.
    This same set-up you see in the pictures has cropped up in our neighbirhood like crazy.I never knew so many folks thought about the birds the way we do.

I did get some great shots of our neighbors feeder but I could not get the birds w/o the kids in the picture.

I say we keep it going, I enjoy the fact that our feathered friennds have a great place to perch. Don't you?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Wish I could get to my birdbath, but the snow is hard crusted and slippery at this point.  I probably can get to the little pond.  It's hard to tell from inside the house just how thick the ice is at the edge, but I'll give it a try with a hammer.  There are so many birds back and forth to my feeder, a pair of cardinals, blue jays, all kinds of sparrows/wrens since we are near a marshy area, chickadees, titmice, and of course those ground feeders that I'm not fond of, the mourning doves.  Every once in a while a flock of cowbirds or starlings stop here too.  They chase everyone away and will peck at the others if they don't move fast enough.

It is funny that your apparatus is appearing in other yards near you, Icer.  Did you ever wonder if some of your neighbors are Chat readers and perhaps identify with who you are?  As long as they keep your secret and don't go online posting who you are in real life.  I  have tried to get a couple of my friends interested in reading/posting, telling them how to get in and register, and even telling them my nom, but as far as I know they don't.  One in particular, I think I would recognize her style of "chat".  I do think it's easier for someone who is comfortable with the keyboard, and these gals aren't.  I know the "hunt and peck" I had to use for a couple of weeks drove me to drink - well, at least I used that as an excuse for my nightly Bailey's!

Have a good bird day.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

mmmm Baileys

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I did manage to get to the three water sources - the birdbath, which is now dripping and I hope attracts the birds before it freezes over; the pond, which was at least 6 inches thick even on the edge, but I poured some fresh water on top; and the trough in front of the friendly Buddha, pouring it from high, letting it make a real splash sound that I hope caught the ears of any nearby birds.  They are so darn skiddish, even of movement inside the window, that I'm trying to stay away from the windows/doors for a few minutes to see if any of the above have attracted them.  Most fly over the birdbath to get to the feeder, so I'm hoping they get a drink from there at least.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

This morning I took my car to be inspected. As I was exiting route 93 by a marshy area, something caught my eye and there was an owl sitting on a tree branch fairly close to the road.  Not sure which kind, but it looked like a big white puffball.  The only other owl I've ever seen in the wild was a barn owl that flew inches from my windshield one day in Maine.  I'll never forget it's face.  Maybe this was a snowy owl. They are in the area.

mothermitzi   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Wow MM, a great snowy is a possibility, I once saw one in back of my house early one morning, just sitting in a tree as you described.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Icer,
    Any activity at your water source yet?  I haven't been able to keep any sustainable water available here.  Filled the feeder again this afternoon for my friend's entertainment while we played cards at the kitchen table.  She loves seeing them come and even put up a feeder herself this winter, but she says no birds come.  I can't understand why, it certainly can't be any closer to her house than mine is.  To make her feel better I told her it was probably because there are already people in her neighborhood taking care of their seed needs, and so they haven't explored and discovered hers yet.

Sections
Shortcuts