Bzzzzzzz.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Bzzzzzzz.....

Foundation for hive

What are these noisy little creatures, Daddy?

The deep part of the empty hive

The queen is in this little box somewhere because she had to be kept separated from the rest of the bees until they are introduced to the hive.  DH replaced the cork with marshmallow; the workers will eat the marshmallow thereby freeing them.  Cool, huh?

The big transfer!!  (Yes, het got one sting)

And, we're off!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: Bzzzzzzz.....

Wow, beautiful picture sequence of steps, Kargiver.  Do I dare mention bears and their love for honey?  --  Figured you didn't have enough to worry about -- It's going to be fascinating to keep your diary along with you as we go through the next few months.  Thanks for sharing. 

G.T. has always wanted bees - I'll have to show him these pics when he comes down tomorrow.  He forgets how he would swell up at even a mosquito bite when he was a kid.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt!  I'm excited to share with you, my friends.  I've never appreciated my zoom lens as much as I do now. :)

Oh, don't worry, you did not add to my concern; I've been mentioning that fun fact about bears and honey since DH said, "Let's get bees!!" last year.  We placed the hive between our house and our neighbor's right on the path their dog uses to come visit Gracie.  So, hopefully, the people, houses, and dogs around will be at least a bit of a deterrant to the generally shy black bear.  The neighbors are kind of loud; they have teenagers and a pool.

I just took a peek out there, and it looks about the same.  There are many bees still out of the hive.  It will take awhile for them to all find the queen and the food, I guess.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Is Gracie in the house?  Can she normally get over there if she's out alone, is that within her boundaries?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

She was not in the house while he was setting it up, but the bee hive is just out of reach for her, just beyond the flags.  She was patiently waiting and watching very nearby.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Great!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

DH had to disassemble the hive to remove the box that contained the queen now that she's in the hive. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

My 2 favorite parts of the continuing story so far - the eat through plug - very clever.

And those wild blue and white pants of DH's!

Are they a No Bite fabric, or just a fashion statement?

People a couple of properties on either side of us keep bees - one is in our co-op for the produce and products, honey and wax.

Pleases us, with our great number of blueberry bushes, apple trees, as well as garden stuff.
    Keep on posting - it is interesting.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, the pants are my favorite, too, Waggie.  Not special bee material, though, just L.L. Bean high fashion pajamas.  Hot, huh?  ;)

I'm happy to share if ya'll are interested, thanks!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Kar, I just wanted to say this is awesome! My mom wants to bee-keep so badly, I'll have to show this to her!
    When you mentioned in pets that you got bees I thought you meant in the bad way, not the intentional way ;) ha ha ha!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, that's so funny, pinkie!  Thanks, it seems easy enough so far, but, then again, I'm not the one doing it.  Watching and taking pictures is VERY easy, ha ha ha!  ;)  And, of course, I have no experience with honey or wax collection yet, but your mom can contact me at kargiver @ gmail .com if she has questions.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

and don't forget that raw honey, lemon juice and brown sugar makes the best body scrub you could ever want!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I can't wait!  I'm really psyched about the honey.  Everything that uses it is soooo expensive.  We'll pay for the hive in no time in just honey products!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Products, Heck.  The last couple of years here, just like when I was younger and we kept market type garden (far more than we ate, excess to co-op),  I use an awful lot of co-op credits on honey to just eat, or cook with.

I have these ideas of saving some for a facial or skin scrub, then find myself doing those with cucumbers or apple mash  because  baklava filo soaked with honey is on my mind.  What would I rather do, honey wash on my skin or honey cross the tongue and in the tummy?

Skin  2  Tummy 400  

Not to mention, to a friend who cooks, or just likes it on toast, a hostess gift of a full quart of honey is better received than any bottle of wine.

We have no plans to do bees or honey, but are very grateful there are a large number of small local producers in this area and the nearby section of VT  who do.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Bzzzzzzz.....:
    I can't wait!  I'm really psyched about the honey.  Everything that uses it is soooo expensive.  We'll pay for the hive in no time in just honey products!
    Posted by kargiver

exactly! you'll practically never have to buy sugar again!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

What would I rather do, honey wash on my skin or honey cross the tongue and in the tummy?
    Posted by whatawagSBNy

if you have plenty, why choose?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mm, I would rather eat it, but depending on how much we can harvest, pink might be right - why choose?  I'm sure we'll be adding hives as this one outgrows its space.  All we'd need is another hive box and new queen.  I wonder how much honey is produced per hive...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Mm, I would rather eat it, but depending on how much we can harvest, pink might be right - why choose?  I'm sure we'll be adding hives as this one outgrows its space.  All we'd need is another hive box and new queen.  I wonder how much honey is produced per hive...
    Posted by kargiver

Aside from general woods, what other things are out your way? andy dairy farms (clover fields) or orchards?

Just curious.  Friends of Dad's who have a farm in Vermont get great yield, nearby dairy farms and fields that used to be farms  are rich in clover, wildflowers,  and a former high producing blueberry patch, apple and cherry trees either side of their property, they produce.

Their daughter is in a rather sterile suburban area in MA where people think anything on the lawn  that is not the kind of grass they want, including clover, must be killed.  And many home gardeners spray insect killers on and around their carefully landscaped flowers.  She gets a much lower yield of honey (less than half) from the same number of bees.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Bees only travel about 2 miles from the hive and can make a go of it up to 4 miles, but beyond that the effort to travel outweighs the benefit of the pollen they gather.  Within 2 miles of here, is woods, and homes that don't look too sterile; they all abut woods and is very rural.  Right here on our property we have 12 blueberry bushes, a raspberry and blackberry patch, clover (instead of back yard lawn), apple, pear, and peach trees, strawberry patch, garden, day lilies, roses, geraniums, and a wild flower garden.  Down the street (less than a mile away) is an alfalfa/hay farm and commercial corn field.  (I hope they don't use terrible pesticides since they are well within the 2 mile radius.)

So, I'm assuming they have plenty to do around here.  I know WE do. ;)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Kargiver, is this your first year beekeeping?

DH and I went to Bee School at the Topsfield Fairgrounds last year and started with two hives, we really enjoy it. We try and get to the Essex County Beekeepers Associations monthly meetings whenever possible.

I'm a bit out of commission this year, as DH is nervous about me getting stung while pregnant so I haven't been in our hives this year. Honestly, we have almost 100,000 bees between two hives and I've only been stung once ever (and really, the poor bee just got stuck in my pant leg and got squished).

The first year, we wanted to leave most of the honey stores for the bees since they spent so much effort just getting the hive built up. We took two frames out of the super and got about 6 lbs. of honey out of it, enough for us and we made up a bunch of little one oz. jars we offered to the neighborhood kids and their parents (along with candy) on Halloween. It's surprising how many people were aware of and interested in our hives.

But this year we expect up to 150 lbs. of honey per hive, if all goes well.

Hope that little bit of info helps! I find working the bees very peaceful and enjoy watching them come and go with their little bits of pollen. To me, it always looks like they are wearing colored legwarmers!

I look forward to more pictures.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

What an interesting post, ml.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ml, thanks for posting this, yes, it helps!  Any experiences you'd like to share would be great.  Yup, it's our first time.  I'm sure we'll have a few hives at some point.  I was wondering about stealing any honey this year.  Seems they are trying very hard to establish the hive.  I'm still waiting for my Beekeeping for Dummies book to arrive...hopefully, it has all the guidelines we'll need.

I only got stung because I knelt on a bee.  Like you say, they don't seem at all interested in stinging.

Thanks, again! 

Sections
Shortcuts