Cabbage Soup Diet?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Cabbage Soup Diet?

Chatters,
    After a weekend with all good and heavy (for us anyway) eating, DH announced last night he wanted soup.
    I looked in to my refrigerator to see what I could come up with. A head of cabbage, that needed to be used, talked to me. We both like cabbage.
    I looked up "cabbage soup" on the IT, and made a delicious and very filling soup from a recipe called: Healing Cabbage soup.  It was truly wonderful.

I also came across something called the "Cabbage Soup Diet". Loose 10 pounds in 7 days. I know, that must be too much to expect - but still a few pounds off my post pregnancy 20 pounds, I simply cannot get rid of, would not hurt.
    Have anyone of you heard of it, tried it, know someone, who has?
    - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: Cabbage Soup Diet?

Pingo, I've heard of it mentione din passing, but not in any detail.  I also don't like cabbage, so I never inquired further.  Are you going to try it?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Nov, I would try it if I could get some positive input. It seems healthy enough. Lots of fruit and veggies, plus the soup and water.
    http://www.cabbage-soup-diet.com/eating-plan.html
    - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

I had a friend who went on a similar diet eating a kale soup daily for a couple of weeks. She made it herself. It was called "Peel a Pound Soup."   Probably similar. 
    cooks.com has a recipe using cabbage.  Maybe my friend used kale because she preferred it.

mothermitzi

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I haven't heard it, but anything that says that you lose "water weight" makes me skeptical. If it truly is only water weight you'll be losing, you'll just gain it all back afterwards.

However, I think a diet of only water, fruits and veggies would help anyone lose weight. I would just include a portion of fish, egg or chicken at dinner so that you're getting enough protein.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

I've tried these diets (a grapefruit diet comes to mind) before and ended up gaining the weight back.  It's fine if you need to squeeze into a dress  for a special occasion or something like that.  The only diet that has ever worked for me is one I started two years ago and I've been able to keep the weight off.  I can't say I deny myself anything, but the "bad stuff" including alcohol is all in moderation.  I do some type of cardio (mild at my stage) at least three times a week and I stopped snacking at night.  Nothing after dinner.  It took me a long time to lose but that combination has worked for me.  I also kept a food diary for the first couple of months.  I was eating much more than I realized. 

mothermitzi

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've heard of every fad diet out there compliments of my mom whose been desparate to lose weight my whole life (and before, I suppose).  

Weight loss is simply physics.  Fat storage is stored energy for your body to use when recent intake isn't available.  3500 calories (roughly) of energy is stored in about a pound of fat.

So, since a 60 year old woman probably burns about 1500 calories a day, if she eats only 1000 calories (very easy if you're eating food that doesn't have many calories but makes you feel full like cabbage soup, for instance), she'd have a 500 calorie deficit per day.  This deficit is made up for by her body tapping into fat stores.  Therefore, a 500 calorie deficit per day leads to a pound of fat storage loss of a pound every 7 days (500 * 7 = 3500 = 1 lb).

You can get this deficit by upping your calorie needs (by exercise and building muscle that burns more calories at rest, meaning it "raises your metabolism") OR by eating that much less for your body to use. 

Grapefruit diets, cabbage soup, kale soup, all actually work the same way, by reducing the calories you take in while making you feel full.  Soup has a lot of water, and water makes you feel full.  If you reduce your calories by a significant amount, your body still needs the energy it needs to do the activites you do (including sleep).  Diets that reduce calories that don't leave you feeling full don't work because no one can withstand feeling hungry for long.  Soup, therefore, is a great diet food if it's water-based and packed with veggies, not creamy (which is heavily laden with calories).

Now, that being said, there are chemicals in some food that reduces hunger.  There's also evidence for higher fiber foods making weight loss easier for the same reason...it reduces hunger.  The bottom line is that reducing hunger reduces calories (unless you eat out of boredom).  And, reducing calories to under what your body is using for energy forces your body to reduce fat stores.

Water weight is simply a matter of salt and sugar both of which make you retain water.  Simply reducing your sugar and salt while upping your water intake will make you lose retain water weight...and fast.

Caffeine also makes you lose retained water.

I don't think those diets are healthy because you lose a vast variety of nutrients from a varied diet if all you're eating is cabbage.  But, yeah, you'll lose weight whatever you're eating if you're eating less than your body needs for energy so it will tap into your fat stores to keep going.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

My sister and brother in law used to do the cabbage diet one week a month to help control their weight. They were both pretty fond of eating and thin.  I'd take a good multivitamin if you decide to try it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It works, but it works simply by reducing calories.  I'd expect a 4 - 5 lb fat-only weight loss in a month, maybe more total weight (fat and retained water).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thank you ladies!
    I have not gone on the diet yet, but I am so tempted to try it. I made a large pot as per recipe a few days ago. DH lost 2 lbs. the very first day and has kept is off. I ate the left overs for lunch for a couple of days and is now down 2 lbs. as well.
    I love soup and I like cabbage. I eat it raw anytime, I can. I really think I could stick with this one. The soup is so filling. Will let you know, how it goes - Pingo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Any clear broth soup loaded with veggies will do the trick.  Cabbage if you like, carrots, turnips, celery, etc., if you get tired of it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    That is basically, what it is anyway. They use water, but I used my home made chicken stock.
    I looked up the nutrition of cabbage, and it is a powerhouse of all good things. Can't go wrong. - Pingo

In Response to Re: Cabbage Soup Diet?:
    [QUOTE]Any clear broth soup loaded with veggies will do the trick.  Cabbage if you like, carrots, turnips, celery, etc., if you get tired of it.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from itny_toy. Show itny_toy's posts

A friend and I tried this diet in college in preparation for Spring Break.  Yes, we lost some weight but I swear we gained it right back the moment we took that first sip of beer on vacation!  It's all water weight loss and so easily gained back.