Christmas Eats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Christmas Eats

A good rainy day to really think out what I'll put out for a spread on Christmas.  We have a group with varied picky appetites, including several non ham/beef eaters.  Last year I started with pumpkin soup, but in consideration of my son's friend with a very limited number of foods she can digest well, I'll start with lemon soup, warming in a crockpot.  Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce will make their way on the table, and I'll make again the creamy potato casserole recipe I found last year that uses frozen hash browns, cream soup, sour cream, and cheeses with a Pepperidge Farm stuffing topping - that was soooo good that even a granddaughter who analyzes everything before she puts it in her mouth, took some home.  I'm kind of hung up on what veggie - thinking of some color, so probably green beans.  Last year I had the roasted vegetables, but altho colorful, that's not one of my favorites, tho others enjoyed it.

I'm not making my plum pudding for the first time, because only 3 small pieces of that get eaten, the rest by me, and I know it's very rich.  I've scanned the usual recipe sites I go to, looking for an easy make ahead dessert - not a pie - but am still at a loss for that.  What are others serving, if anything other than the usual pies?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: Christmas Eats

tt, I think your green beans sounds good. I do these all the time for large parties. I use TJ's "ready made" beans. They come in a bag all washed and snipped. All I do is frying  some bacon and shallots ahead of time. Then stick the bag(s) of beans in the microwave, when we are almost ready to eat, throw them in a serving dish and sprinkle the bacon and shallots over them. Voila - my guests love them.
    Only problem is, they are on the expensive side, but if one has the time one can buy green beans, snip and wash them oneself and just place them in a microwave safe plastic and food safe bag.
    And of course no holiday meal in my house will be appreciated w/o my caramelized pearl onions. Pick up a bag or two of frozen pearl onions. Place them in an greased dish, sprinkle with a couple of pats of butter, some brown sugar and a couple of Tbs. of balsamic vinegar. Roast in a 375 degree oven for about 45 minutes - or until the onions are caramelized and done, stirring once or twice. They can be done a day ahead and are good warm, lukewarm or at room temperature.
    These dishes just sprung out of my head, will think of some more.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

For dessert, how about a trifle?  You can make many variations.  My favorite includes devil foods cake, soaked in Kahlua, with chocolate pudding, chopped Heath or Skor bars/bits, and whipped cream.  The classic is sponge cake, sherry, custard and jam.  How about yellow cake, apple pie filling, calvados (apple brandy) vanilla pudding and caramel sauce?  If you have a punchbowl and space in the fridge, this is a great way to go.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OMG hats! That devil food cake w/ Khalua sounds just awesome. I never had a trifle bowl. Wanted and needed one for so many occasions. Always used just a large glass bowl. Maybe I should put it on my Christmas wish list year. Elegant way to serve deserts. Merry Christmas to you!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hats, you and I are already on the same page - I googled trifles and came up with several that don't include alcohol.  The chocolate one you speak of was given to me years ago, her title for it was, "Sex in a bowl"!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

sex in a bowl - that's hysterical!

Not that this suggestion can compete with THAT (LOL), but if you aren't making your pumpkin soup, maybe my pumpkin bread would be a nice make-ahead dessert, too.  Whirled Peas Please (from Weddings) made it and gave it rave reviews having taken it to the in-laws (or bf's parents?) for Thanksgiving.  I've made it about 12 years in many circles of friends and family - everyone loves it.

If you want the recipe I'll post it.  You could make a double batch which would yield 2 regular sized loaves and quite a few mini loves that people could take home with them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: Christmas Eats:
    OMG hats! That devil food cake w/ Khalua sounds just awesome. I never had a trifle bowl. Wanted and needed one for so many occasions. Always used just a large glass bowl. Maybe I should put it on my Christmas wish list year. Elegant way to serve deserts. Merry Christmas to you!
    Posted by pingo

I've seen them at CTS.  Of course, this close to Christmas they may be gone.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Kargiver, but I'm really looking for something "lite".  Not even thinking of chocolate, which is the favorite of many of my relatives.  In googling also came upon a pudding which starts with a custard or French vanilla pudding with (they called for drained fruit cocktail) I would use chopped cherries, mandarine oranges and pineapple (my favorites), mixed with a little "you know what" (Cool Whip, dare I say?).  Seems to me that would sort of be cool to the palate.  Could also be layered with sponge cake or lady fingers as in a trifle, I would think. Other choice is a sherbet, but really wanted something I could make the day before and have out on the table for those who come in and don't want to help themselves to a whole meal, but just grab a dessert or two.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I've made trifle or variations of it in those plastic wine glasse you can get at a party store. I have pictures but I don't think its really necessary. They usually fly. I do it a lot because my Mil has that wheat allergy, but loves the rest of the stuff. It is so easy to leave out the flour stuff for her

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

My mom always put out a couple of desserts, one that is heavier, like an apple pie or pecan pie, and something lighter if people are too "full" for dessert.

Last year she put out a big bowl of berries (strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries) and Cool Whip, and that was the perfect ending for me.

There are also these delicious sherbet type desserts you can buy at Trader Joes that come in hallowed out lemons and oranges. Obviously they are lemon or orange flavored. Very light and tasty.

Toytrumpet, your Lemon Soup sounds absolutely delicious. Care to share the recipe? I am buying my fiance and I a crock pot for Christmas.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

liz, check out Williams Sonoma's All Clad crock pot.  It's definitely what I would get if I could justify replacing the old fashioned one we have.  It's pricey, but I think you'll really get a lot out of the extra features.  At least take a look. 

All Clad Crock Pot

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks for the ideas, Icer and Liz.  I like the idea of individual trifle champagne glasses, and also want to check out the orange sherbet desserts at T.J.'s.  Never happened to see them when I'm in there.  Are they on the dairy counter?

My Lemon Soup is not one that would be made in a crock pot, I meant that I would keep it warm on very low in the crock pot on the table.  Glad to share.  You can also include pieces of chicken in the soup for more authentic Greek Lemon Soup.

Lemon Soup

1 (48oz. can) chicken broth
    3 large eggs
    Juice from 1 large lemon
    1 cup uncooked orzo or white rice
    salt and pepper to taste
    cooked chicken (optional)

Pour broth into a large pot and bring to a boil.  Add orzo or white rice and simmer for 10 minutes.  Add cooked chicken at this point if desired.

In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and add lemon juice.  When the orzo has finished cooking, gradually ladle about 1 cup of soup into the egg mixture while stirring gently.  Then pour the egg mixture slowly into the soup and stir until well blended.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Ready to serve immediately.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

TT, that sounds DELICIOUS. I can't wait to try it. To be honest, I don't know where the sherberts are at TJ's, I've only had them at my moms, but I will ask her. I am assuming the freezer aisle?

Kar, thanks for the suggestion :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

TT, that sounds DELICIOUS. I can't wait to try it. To be honest, I don't know where the sherberts are at TJ's, I've only had them at my moms, but I will ask her. I am assuming the freezer aisle? Kar, thanks for the suggestion :)
    Posted by lizinboston

Of course - sherbet - ice - freezer!  I'll check it out when I'm out there this week.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

lizinboston-
        to me sherbet and fruit are the perfect thing after a big dinner- leave the rich desserts for later.

An Inn restaurant near us is the only place I have been in years where they take small stemware glasses and put in either spoonfuls of lemon sherbet with orange sections cut up,  or raspberry with pineapple chunks that have been cut in half.
    Pretty as a parfait,  but light and so easy.

Good idea.  I am supposed to do something to go with us to in-laws for a major family dinner next weekend, and fruit and sherbet would be so easy to pick up a block from MIL a few hours before dinner.  No packing, no oven time since she always has 2 ovens full for a day.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, sounds delicious.  Are you Greek?  That sounds like a classic Greek recipe that I've often got at Greek restaurants but never made myself.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Faith 'n begorra, it's Irish, I am, Kargiver!  G.T.'s friend who has limited foods that she digests well, loves Greek Lemon Soup, and so one day when she was coming on short notice, I sort of devised this version from those I googled.  She liked it, and we liked it, so I've kept it that way.  Googling will give you many versions, one of which divides the eggs and whips the whites separately - however, this one worked for us.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh Kar, you made me laugh. tt is as Irish as Blarney Stone. And thank you for the chuckle. I really needed that, as I just dropped off Mr. Pingo at Logan. He will be gone until just before Christmas. I was driving home in this awful rain and fog, while it was thundering and lightening, and feeling oh so sorry for myself. Good to have good Chat friends around. Thanks again my dear friend.

tt, sounds delicious .  Are you Greek?  That sounds like a classic Greek recipe that I've often got at Greek restaurants but never made myself.
    Posted by kargiver

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amy-baby. Show Amy-baby's posts

Hello-  I've never posted here before- hope you don't mind my chiming in.

I make a trifle called "Cherries in the Snow" that came originally from Cooking Light magazine.  You can do it in a large glass bowl or a trifle bowl.  It is delicious and looks very festive in red and white.  I have used "regular" ingredients instead of the Light, but no one can tell the difference so Light is good!

~Amy

Cherries in the SnowFrom “Cooking Light”

1 (8-ounce) tub fat-free cream cheese
    1 cup sifted powdered sugar
    1 (12-ounce) carton frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
    8 cups (1-inch) cubed angel food cake
    1 (20-ounce) can light cherry pie filling

Beat cream cheese at medium speed of a mixer until smooth. Gradually add the sugar, beating until blended. Gently fold in whipped topping.
     Place half of cake cubes in a large glass bowl or trifle dish; top with half of cheese mixture. Spread half of cherry filling over cheese mixture. Repeat layers with remaining cake cubes, cheese mixture, and cherry filling.  Cover and chill.

Thanks, Kargiver, but I'm really looking for something "lite".  Not even thinking of chocolate, which is the favorite of many of my relatives.  In googling also came upon a pudding which starts with a custard or French vanilla pudding with (they called for drained fruit cocktail) I would use chopped cherries, mandarine oranges and pineapple (my favorites), mixed with a little "you know what" (Cool Whip, dare I say?).  Seems to me that would sort of be cool to the palate.  Could also be layered with sponge cake or lady fingers as in a trifle, I would think. Other choice is a sherbet, but really wanted something I could make the day before and have out on the table for those who come in and don't want to help themselves to a whole meal, but just grab a dessert or two.
    Posted by toytrumpet

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Dear friends, happy to provide a laugh at a down moment.  I had no idea!  At least, pingo, you will be home for Christmas and not having to rush around preparing for a big trip with DH gone.  How are you making out, Dear?

Amy, thanks for ringing in!  All are welcome. :)  Your trifle sounds beautiful, and I'm a sucker for anything with cream cheese!  That's what I love about Cooking Light; their recipes are actually so good that no one can tell it's a reduced fat/calories version of anything.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Amy, the dessert sounds delicious.  I'm a big fan of cherries - just had some sherbet with a cut up banana, and cherry juice, choc syrup poured over it, and of course, topped off with Cool Whip - mini banana split!

Sections
Shortcuts