Come September!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Come September!

Good morning all,
    August went by so fast. 2/3 of the year has already passed. As much as I hate this heat wave, I am not ready for the winter yet.
    I am in a much better mood today. The children of our secretary stopped by our office yesterday. They are having a memorial service for their mom after the holidays - so we can still keep our PB plans. Besides, it looks like Earl is not going to have the impact on us here, as first thought. The Cape and islands, yes - but not inland. Unless of course it changes direction. That we will not know until tomorrow.
    The painting is almost done. Can't wait until ladders, brushes and rollers are out of the house. It has been a very long month. Today they are doing my kitchen - so I am really displaced. Never mess with a woman's kitchen. Hopefully we will not have to paint for another 20 years, and then - I probably won't care.
    Hope you will enjoy your Labor day and the last days of summer, as they call it.  They have predicted Fall will come early this year. We have already had leaves turn yellow on some our trees.
    Chat later - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: Come September!

Good September mor - - -no, afternoon,

On the boards, but I don't know for how long.  Quiet in here today, but my stamina for sitting here for too long won't last as long as the time alloted me.

When are you leaving for your son's, Pingo?  Hard to believe it's Labor Day week-end already.  The end of summer and I never even got away anywhere.  Not much hope of it, things seems to be very quiet among my friends. 

Once it got dark last night, Cheerio mewed and brought the mouse in and dropped it on the l.r. rug.  It was still very much alive and took off like a shot under one of the sofas, and then raced under the other.  No signs of it this morning and she seems to have completely forgotten about it.  Just for my own piece of mind I will move the couch a little tho, just to be sure.

More family news, but I can't talk about it yet, I am still digesting it.  May not be posting material anyway.  My mind is swimming.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, how much more bad news can you digest?  Sorry to hear there's more.  We're here for you if you decide to share.

Pingo, oh, dear, the kitchen.  Go to restaurants.com and buy some gift certificates to a local restaurant or two.  You can buy $25 gift certificates for $10 (you can only use one per visit, though, and they are good for dine-in, dinner-only in most cases).

Speaking of digesting news, my SIL got diagnosed with breast cancer last month, and I couldn't even post about it.  She asked me to go to all her appointments and take notes which I was glad to do, and then we often went to dinner afterward when the timing was right.  At least it was good bonding time for us even if for a terrible reason - we really did have a great time alone together, not at a family gathering with "everyone."  She had mastectomy and reconstruction surgery a week ago today and just went home last night, miserable and in great pain, as expected.  My MIL is staying with their family to help.  It will be a hard road ahead, but they confirmed post-surgically that it was caught it before it spread, thankfully.

OK, there this time I won't delete the above...

Blessings,
    ~kar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Kargiver,

Came back in to check emails and boards and saw your post.  So sorry to hear about your SIL.  Much the same as my  DIL went through last September.  She had chosen to use her own body tissue for the reconstructive surgery, rather than the gel form.  Made for a much longer and more painful recovery, because she not only had the breast healing to go through, but her stomach where they had taken tissue to use rebuilding.  It never did heal right and she is undergoing yet another surgery the end of this month, having an implant.  She is still a young woman (50) and her appearance is important to her.  After seeing what she went through last time, including infection, I would leave well enough alone, but we are all different.  Will your SIL face radiation and/or chemo?  Lucky she is to have you for support.  She must really value your friendship to have asked you to be the one to go to the appointments with her.

The Boards are so quiet this week, not many posters.  The computers here are full tonight, I thought suppertime would be a good time to waltz right in and get seated, but everyone else had the same idea, I guess.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sorry your DIL's never healed and she needs more surgery - so painful.  Hopefully, that will be it.  My SIL had the same surgery/reconstruction (TRAM flap).  She is 44.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---More family news, but I can't talk about it yet, I am still digesting it.  May not be posting material anyway.  My mind is swimming.---

tt, I certainly hope it is GOOD news. Why is it, I think a brother or sister is on it's way for Lily? Blessings!
    I am so tired right now - and I have a million things to do before we leave tomorrow. We are supposed to leave tmw afternoon. I just (?) have to pack - and that does not seem like a great ordeal. But to have someone moving around with ladders and brushes and rollers, and me trying not to get tangled up and fall on a drop-cloth - has been a challenge. They are just about done. And I have to say, they have been most professional. I am blessed to have such competent employees. Even though I know I am lucky, I am also very tired of having them around everyday. It has been a long month. Before they left today, they moved all our garden furniture inside. Just to prepare for Earl, if he happens to come our way.
    So looking forward to have a few days with our boys. We will be leaving tmw afternoon and get back Tuesday around noon time. Our oldest son will come back with us and stay for a week or two - to take care of our office "problems". One thing he now has to do, - is to get into and move our secretary's files. So sad, but glad he was already planning to come.
    tt, you are a real trooper, taking a trek to the library to do your online chat. Hope for you, you will get your own coputer fixed soon.
    Happy Laborday - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh Kar, so sorry to hear about your SIL. And here I am complaining about having a couple af walls (well not exactly) painted.
    Sounds like you are optimistic, that they got it all. That is really good news. But that still does not take away the pain, she must be going through right now.
    My prayers for her speedy recovery.
    She is so lucky, she has you for support. It must not be easy for you to see her suffering.
    Bless you both - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, dear friends.   Yes, it was tough to keep things light but not seem glib at the doctors' visits while we joked and laughed instead of crying...although, we did some of that, too. 

I didn't mean to minimize anyone's troubles by sharing.  All our stresses are legitimate - your house being torn up and kitchen unusable is no less a pain just because there are worse things out there to deal with.  Did you find anywhere you could get a nice discount and fun meal on restaurant.com?

I'll be making her favorite cookies tomorrow and, if Earl doesn't ruin things, taking them Saturday to my SIL.  My great-grandmother's soft molasses cookies are so good...I'll have to restrain myself from eating half the dough.

Good day, all,
    ~kar

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good afternoon dear friends,
    Shutting down the computer for the weekend. Leaving in a few hours. Hope you all will be safe during the hurricane, which may not be as bad as predicted. But of course one never know, until it is here. We have done the precautions we could and hope and pray for the best.
    My thoughts and prayers are with all the people, that had recent losses and with everyone trying to heal. Breast cancer, heart attack, brain tumor.
    Now you all take care. I don't want anymore bad news. We had our share in the month that passed.
    Chat when I get back Tuesday - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just got in - if you haven't already left, Pingo, safe journey.

Saw a house being auctioned off today - never actually saw one before, except on TV.  Quite interesting, and over so quickly.  Wonder what the bank does if the full amount owed is not gotten?  Perhaps they start the opening bid at the amount of mortgage left owed.

My son started cardiac rehab today, but is itching to get back full swing.  I tried to tell him (as did the rehab tech, I guess) that he has to start slow and easy.  He's not one to just hang around, and he says being around the house and seeing things that need to be done is causing stress in itself.  My girlfriend, SS, had a very good suggestion, one that she used on her nephew when he had a heart attack - "tell him to remember that he has to take care of himself, because if anything happens to him, who is going to provide the nuturing and stability in his kids' lives?"  He was talking to me from his car phone with the kids in the car today, so it was not the time to deliver my message, but next time I can catch him for a few minutes, I'll hammer the point home.  Thank you, SS.

How is your SIL today, Kargiver?  Checked on my DIL who had a procedure Monday and I could hear her in the background talking with mother and sister, and her voice was once again strong and clear.

Don't know how long I'll be on, called G.T. after I saw the house auction this morning, so don't have much to chat with him about, and my other emails don't require answering.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

2:00 - leaving.  No one to chat with.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, sorry to have missed you, tt.  I'm on the computer but doing tedious and attention stealing budget work for the household.  Getting it up and running, entering every bank account and credit card transaction since June 14.  I'm getting there...

Good advice from SS for DS.  Let's hope it works on him and he uses his own good common sense, too, and does what needs to be done, like it or not.

SIL's voice sounds pretty good, but she's very discouraged and in a lot of pain.  However, I think she's essentially on track and improving every day.  6 - 8 weeks is a marathon, not a sprint, and she just wants to have this all behind her right now, you know?  I'm looking forward to visiting her this weekend and eating, I mean, giving her the cookies. ;)

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and prayers for her.  You guys have mine, too.

Back to work for me.  I MUST get this done; I've been procrastinating.

~kar

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,
    Only here a few minutes, on my way to S&S.  Probably will be mobbed, but I'm not after the usuals, bread, milk, water.  G.T. and partner are coming down Sunday for a light lunch before going to a b.d. party in Everett.  Have a torn out magazine page that I've saved for months of a Boboli wheat pizza with pineapple/mango chipotle salsa with red and green peppers and shredded Swiss, and Monterey Jack cheeses. Have been dying to try it, so now that the "guinae pigs" are coming, - - they usually like everything, or say they do, at least.  Made chocolate chocolate brownies a couple of days ago and froze them, and will serve them with a scoop of peach ice cream ('cause that's what I'm craving!) for dessert.

Went by the house that the couple who had a divorce left over a year ago.  It was auctioned off and today there was a beehive of activity there - changing locks, cutting back bushes, mowing knee high grass - bet the neighbors are delighted that someone has finally taken it over.

Long lost (as far as I'm concerned) friend who has never called in the 3 weeks since son's heart attack, caught me just before I came out this morning.  I almost didn't pick up when I saw it was her, but decided I really needed to tell her how disappointed I had been that she never once called to check to see how he was doing, or even me for that matter.  I did tell her, but she breezily glossed right over it with all she'd been doing and that she had, after all, left it that I would call her when I wanted to do something.  Again, I stressed that it was not so much getting together to go out, but that it had been very comforting to me to have friends call and ask about son and also myself.  She wanted to know if I had heard from our mutual Fla friend, and I honestly could tell her that she has called every 3 or 4 days to see how everything is.  Quiet on the other end - - - think I got  my message across.

I'm sure your SIL will be glad to have company this week-end, Kargiver.  It boosts spirits so to have someone drop in - especially with cookies!  You can't let her eat them alone, why, it wouldn't be polite!

Have a good week-end everyone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, I bet you cannot go wrong with that pizza - what a fabulous flavor combo it sounds like!  I'd be your guinea pig any time! :)

Good for you for speaking up to your friend and not shying away from making the point.  I wonder if she has kids herself...doesn't sound like it.

How did you make out at S&S?  Mob scene?

I need to get going on those cookies - good point, I wouldn't want to be rude and not eat WITH her.

Enjoy your company, tt, and best to everyone as Earl pelts the coast.

~kar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The cookies came out great.  I ate one raw and one cooked for quality control, of course.  I'll be heading over to SIL's around 9:30, I think.  MIL and teenage daughter of SIL and I will be going shopping (for her school clothes since Mom isn't able) and probably having a nice lunch out.  Will be strange to visit SIL and not have her out having fun with us.

Until then, must shower and pick up house while DH is out with Gracie.

Have a great day, Chatters! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

So glad that Earl by passed us, altho, now we have to put everything back into the back yard that we packed in the garage.  The weather today is ideal, will go outside and do a little work in the yard, and then its off to some flea markets....love em....look for shakers and books...even if I don't find anything, I love looking.  DH just sits and waits in the car....grumbling I might add ,as he says .we don't need anything!!
    tt how did the boys like their Pizza treat?  I'd love a chocolate (anything) brownie with peach ice cream.....where do you find Peach icecream??  There used to be a ice cream place near here that made their own and their peach was mine and my daughters favorite....they have closed, and altho there are two other ice cream places here that make their own, they don't have peach.!!
    Hope we get some nice fall weather soon, the summer is to hot for my breathing problems and the winter is too cold. 
    Kargiver, yes my shakers are all over the house, I have shelves in everyroon, except the bathroom!!  I use the windowsills in some rooms.  Pretty soon I'll have to make some room for my Halloween shakers.  Have some for every holiday,except Valentines day. Have between 5 and 15 sets of the holidays, except for Christmas, then they take over a whole room, I have 138 Christ6mas sets....love those snowmen!!  Hope everyones health problems will soon be things of the past, will keep all in my prayers...Take care of yourselves and Keep Smiling, SS

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

SS, I think Trader Joe's might carry a peach ice cream, but I don't know where else.

I can just imagine your DH in the car.  They just don't get it, do they?  "We don't need anything," HA!  You MUST find some Valentine's Day shakers.  Little cupids would be cute...

A dear friend from my ex-company (I left 2 years ago after 8 years there) is finally coming out to visit us and meet DH.  Then, we'll be going to a museum out this way where they're having an antique button exhibit she is very interested in (which is what prompted the visit). 

Glad we have Monday to spend together after this unusually busy two weekend days doing our own things.

SIL looked really good for how long ago the surgery was (10 days), and she's already starting to have confidence in how the result will look.  She's had cosmetic surgery before so she's not horrified by the swelling and bruising.

Well, I've yapped your ears off enough.  Must get to the cleaning and preparing for my friend's arrival.  Have a great day, dear Chatter friends!

~kar

P.S.  She just called to let me know she's sick and can't come, after all.  :(

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

SS - I have some lovely Mary Hadley shakers that I inherited. Also, a salt box. She was very popular in the mid-20th century, now going through a renaissance.

http://www.hadleypottery.com/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How whimsical!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  TT, I hope your family is doing better. And Kar, I'm sending thoughts to your SIL.  My son started 4th grade today, I have no idea where the time has gone. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

RG-went to Mary Hadley site, nice!!  My shakers are all novelty ones - Ihave lots of animals, children, food items, cooking utensils, etc.  Always on the hunt for the odd and unusual....pretty soon the fall and Christmas bazaars will be springing up everywhere, a S&P goldmine....all I need is another wall, know where I can get one??  Take care, good day to all. 
    Kargiver, sure would like to find a pair of cupids....been looking a long time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

ss, I love salt and pepper shakers. So cute, even when they are elegant and sophisticated. If I see anything really neat, I'll post for you here.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Hi everybody! Too many posters are facing health difficulties with their loved ones,my thoughts are with you all. I'm sure they know how fortunate they are to have you in their corner. You all seem to be so loving and supportive.        Shaker, your S&P collection sounds awesome! Would Love to see a Pic. of it! I used to collect teapots, and found that the hunt was as fun as the find! We took a road trip to Newport R.I. What a fantastic day! Such a beautiful spot,and the weather was perfect. We have supper together at home most evenings,but when we eat out we get to talk so much more in between courses. The Breakers mansion is Gourgeous. I'm still planning a weekend trip to Salem. My son can join us on that trip. D.D. starts high school tomorrow a.m.! She just finished her summer reading reports a half hour ago. WHEW! Lets hope September is a calmer, less stressful time than August was for some of us. Take care all. b.g.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, all

At my usual spot - the library.  I should be glad I'm able to use the computers here, instead of grumbling.  Thing is, I've been without one for so long at home now that I'm almost not missing it - - almost!

Pizzas went over big on Sunday.  DIL and Lilly joined us, and Lilly little as she is (will be 4 next week) loves her salad, with Ranch dressing - funny for a little one, huh?  Made one pizza of the pineapple/mango combo and another that I made half pepperoni and half red and green pepper - big salad, and for dessert, homemade brownies with side scoop of Reese's peanut butter ice cream (S&S didn't have peach and I didn't want to run around other places), topped with whipped cream.  Delish.  First time for all of us having a wheat Boboli pizza crust and we all loved it.

Son is doing well, talked with him last night and he is very conscious of salt content - has torn off some labels of various things to take to the nutritionist next week when they meet.  Is surprised at how much sodium is in different drinks.

Called the sister of one of my neighbor's who I'm very fond of.  She has suffered from increasingly worse back problems over the years and is having very extensive back surgery later this week.  No spectacular results are promised, but guaranteed pain during the recovery process.  Can I impose for your prayers for her this Thursday in particular.  I don't think she has any idea of what lies ahead of her - stating that she might not even have to go to rehab - oh yes, you will.

Good to see you on the boards, SS.  You must be feeling better.  G.T. and his partner have gone to Montreal for the week.  He and I went a couple of times years ago when my youngest played hockey there.  What I remember most from those visits was the underground shopping mall!

Have a couple of sites to check out while I'm here, so will close and check back before I leave to see if anyone's on.  Peace.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Called youngest grandkids last night to wish them a happy first full day of school - granddaughter will be starting 1st grade.  She was more excited over the fact that she has "2 more loose teeth, Nana"!  Even tho her brother said he was not anxious to go back, I'm sure he's missed some of the kids he hasn't seen over the summer.  He's had a busy couple of months, went to  a sports camp one week and a basketball camp another.  It's funny, his father was a great hockey player, and altho he gave that a try for a couple of years, prefers basketball, tag football and soccor.  Instead of following in his father's footsteps, he's making his own.

Seems as tho I've missed everyone's time on the boards yet again, so I'm off.  Will try later in the week, possibly tomorrow, depending on what it brings.