December 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: December 2011

That's true.  I didn't listen to the weather last night.  Luckily, I've had my son in his winter coat so he'll be warm :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar, that's funny about your DH and the weather.  I never listen either unless I hear a lot of snow is coming and than I watch to see if I think my son will have school, etc.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

My brother and I always used to kid Mom about her fascination with the weather...There is a Elmer Fudd cartoon whereupon he seems to summon up the skies to some classical song...as the clouds billow and burst..He starts signing, "Kill the Wabbit" funny tune...or would that be a toon?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, it was pretty funny - I was seriously freaked out while he didn't even consider that it was unusual to start (and continue!) every conversation that way.

ETA:  yeah, Icer, a toon!  Cute. ;)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I always like to watch the weather the night before I've any plans.  Like to know how warmly to dress, and also if I have to get out and back in before heavy rain (or snow).

Just got off the phone with the cat lady up the street, who called asking about Pretty Baby, alias Handsome Harry.  She hasn't seen him since Tuesday, and he had taken off just about a minute before 2 coyote came through her yard, and then another 2.  My last sighting was Monday, and we talked about all the "treats" we give him trying to temp him to eat - her, tuna and salmon, and I told her how I had saved some haddock scraps, in a tight container thankfully, never saw him, and so just came across them yesterday when I was cleaning out the fridge for trash day!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Good morning everybody.  amber, glad to read your niece is tolerating the chemo with good results.  november, how exciting for you!  Glad all is going smoothly.
    It is colder today.  Very windy in town.

The pinwheel cookie I spoke of is not like the Nabisco variety (although I love those!)  The cookie I'm going to make requires two sheets of cookie dough; one sheet has melted chocolate added to it, the other peanut butter.  You place one sheet over the other and roll tightly before refrigerating overnight.  Next day, you slice off the dough and bake.  I'll post the recipe when I get it.  My aunt says she has a copy in my mother's handwriting.  

pingo, hope you have a great trip!

mothermitzi

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That's the same procedure my recipe uses, and I used to love the whole process. They were called Freeze Ahead Cookies.  You could make the rolls a month or so ahead of time and put them in the freezer until you were ready to slice and bake.  Don't know why - yes I do - it makes a huge batch, that's why I haven't made them lately, used to make them to get a good variety of cookies, when the boys were small.  I'm committed to the mocha cakes for this week-end tho.

Sun is luring me, saying "it's warm out, it's warm out, come on out and play", so guess I'll get off the boards, gets dressed and scoot out for some poking around.

ETA:  Out of curiosity just pulled my recipe and OMG, it is a Chat recipe sent in by Turk's Head!  She said she make up these rolls every November, put them in the freezer, and then just before Christmas baked up dozens of them to have as home made gifts for family and friends.  For the pinwheels she has choco-mint, cherry dots (one of my favorites with a cherry in the center of each), date pinwheels - guess I had made up the Chocolate/pistachio pinwheels to meet our tastes.

Anyone else remember Turk's Head from the old paper days of C.C.?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Those are also the style pinwheels my great-grandmother made, but she used a date filling, maybe because I was allergic to peanuts and chocolate when I was little.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Right you are, the sun is cheating us all. But be happy - it is NOT snowing.
    tt, interesting about the pinwheel cookies. I have several recipes tucked away from Turk's Head. Don't you miss the printed paper version of the Chat? I do.
    Today is DH's birthday, so I was up @ 3 am to make blueberry muffins and set the traditional birthday table (flowers, card, gifts and the muffins). He gets up @ 5 am, and I didn't want him to miss it.
    I went back to bed, trying to get some more ZZZzzzz in, but it didn't work. Now I feel like I am having a hangover. Maybe a morning nap will do, but I have plenty of things to do today, before we leave tomorrow.
    We are weather hawks too. Sometimes we scroll down in our taped news to the weather - and pass by the news - just to see the weather predictions. In our line of business it is most important. Plus son gave us a "weather station" several years ago, that I love. It gives us the inside as well as the outside temperatures. A great gift to consider.
    Have to run up and get my B12 shot. Then take care of the house and pack for tomorrow. I am so excited. Can't believe I am going to spend time with Mickey. We have been at DW once at Christmas time - - - it's a dream land.
     - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

tt, Turk's Head doesn't ring a bell with me.  My cousin makes the date version and I like that, too. I have a hankering for the choc/pb combo though.  One of those memories from childhood I guess. tt, would you mind sharing Turk's Head's recipe?  I love pistachios. I buy pistachio flavored muffins from S&S all the time. Last night I was out to eat and one of the courses was a fennel salad with chopped pistachios on top. I also like pistachio coated salmon.

I miss the printed version of CC, although in later years it was shrinking.  I realized a few years ago I better get used to all this technology because I could see this is where the world was headed. One advantage to the online version is speed.  No waiting weeks for a question to be answered or recipe to be shared.    

mothermitzi

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Turk's Head didn't include a choc/pistachio pinwheel recipe, I just added pistachio dry pudding mix and a drop of green food coloring to the vanilla portion when I mixed it up, then as you did, dropped that layer on top of the choc layer, rolled, sliced and baked.  It's so long ago I don't even remember how much pistachio pudding I added, probably to color.  If you still want her/his (?) never sure with some of these older posts whether they were male or female (as in Medico), I'll be glad to post it.  Altho with the versions he included it would take up a full page.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The day is marching on, Pingo, and don't want to miss your last sighting on the boards - have a wonderful time, with a safe trip down and back.  We'll miss you, that's for sure.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Oh Yes Pingo, Safe journey...I bet DW is fabulous at Xmas time...I wonder if there is the same Political correctness at DW? Holiday trees no Christmas trees...ect. You will have to give us a full report when you get back.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Your speaking of "political correctness", made me think of when I was leaving the doctor's office the other day I said, "Have a happy holiday."  He picked right up on it and said, "You don't have to say 'happy holiday' in this office, it's Merry Christmas."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My company also believes in the Christmas Spirit.  We have Christmas Trees and tonight is the Christmas Party. 
    tt, those cookies sound good and now I want them.  :)
    Pingo, have a great trip.  I go in June and I can hardly wait.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh friends, it is Merry Christmas in this household. And DH is not even a Christian. But he celebrates with us, as if he is. It makes me so angry, that we have to let go of "Merry Christmas".
    Icer, if there is a political correctness in DW, I will be so pissed. I doubt it though. We had to buy special tickets for Mickey's Christmas party.
    tt, I like your doctor. In our office we have wreaths and poinsettias displaced all over. Please don't tell me we cannot celebrate Christmas.
    What is it, people are so afraid of? I will celebrate any other holiday with my non-Christian friends in order to respect them. So please respect my religion as well. - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Merry Christmas, Winter!
    Enjoy the party if you can. You must have been involved organizing it. Thanks for wishing us a great trip - Pingo

In Response to Re: December 2011:
    [QUOTE]My company also believes in the Christmas Spirit.  We have Christmas Trees and tonight is the Christmas Party.  tt, those cookies sound good and now I want them.  :) Pingo, have a great trip.  I go in June and I can hardly wait.
    Posted by Winter2011Bride[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Merry  Christmas Pingo, in case I miss you later.  HR planned this party, but I will be taking pictures.  Say hi to Pooh bear for me.  :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Merry Christmas and happy travels, Pingo!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

[QUOTE]Turk's Head didn't include a choc/pistachio pinwheel recipe, I just added pistachio dry pudding mix and a drop of green food coloring to the vanilla portion when I mixed it up, then as you did, dropped that layer on top of the choc layer, rolled, sliced and baked.  It's so long ago I don't even remember how much pistachio pudding I added, probably to color.  If you still want her/his (?) never sure with some of these older posts whether they were male or female (as in Medico), I'll be glad to post it.  Altho with the versions he included it would take up a full page.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

tt, no need then.  Sounds like a lot of copying.  I was just curious.  Plan to use my old recipe anyway.

mothermitzi

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Okay Winter and mm, I posted the entire recipe with the variations for the Freeze Ahead Cookies over in C.C. Recipes thread.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thank you all for your good wishes. How can it not be a good trip with all your well wishes? Besides, Mickey and Minnie will be there.
    I know, I will miss you all. Don't think I will be able to post from there. DS and DH will certainly bring their lap tops, but I hate to use them. - Pingo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Enjoy every minute!  Godspeed, our friend.  We'll look forward to your stories upon your safe, happy return home.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

[QUOTE]Okay Winter and mm, I posted the entire recipe with the variations for the Freeze Ahead Cookies over in C.C. Recipes thread.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

tt, I just posted over there thanking you.  I'll thank you again here.  I feel guilty for asking you to copy such a long recipe, but I do appreciate it.

Getting ready to get out of here.  No walk home tonight.  Too windy and cold.

mothermitzi  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Don't feel guilty, noone twisted my arm - just try some day and hopefully enjoy!