December 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: December 2011

Good Sunday morning,
    Nice to see your post, SS - glad you enjoyed the ride. I felt it was so apropriate  for our little group of friends here.
    She never thinks of me for these things, and it's rather hurtful.  tt, I am sorry you are not having a better relationship with your DIL. I can certainly understand you feeling hurt. She may not be doing this intentionally to you, but just being one of those airheads, that just don't think of other people. Now that your GS is in 5th grade, he should be old enough to let you in on what is happening. Their craft fair is usually during the holiday season, and come Spring, they will have a play, you may want to attend. So cute to see all these young kids trying so hard (and forgetting their lines). Then they have a yearly science fair - at least they used to. If I remember correctly, it is towards the end of the school year. Amazing what the kids come up with.
    Winter, you may not have noticed - but that Yoda was a backpack. Thought it was a riot.
    Kar, how is the photo session coming along?
    So, son is on the road. 13 hours drive. Won't be enjoying him too much today. He will be exhausted by the time he gets here, and he is taking the first flight out tmw. morning.
    Took work home from the office - so I could work and stay at home at the same time and cook a nice dinner for the traveller. His favorite lamb/lentil stew, that doesn't mind delays.
    Have a nice Sunday everyone - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Tonight is oure neighborhood light up ceromony...6 p.m we all line up across the street and the timers do the rest...Honey is working out the final touches as I type..Happy Sunday all...This is my first day off in about a month so I am going to enjoy it!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, all,

DH is out with Gracie, and I'm catching up on the chores having gone out to play all day yesterday.  The photo shoot isn't coming along, but I'll let DH know how late we can get it done and still have the cards out on time and see what happens.  I'm not stressed about it now that I have something; it's up to DH to make the time to get the photo he said he wants to go with whatever I already have.

Best travel wishes for PB son, Pingo.  We just made that drive, or at least 9 hours of it from Altoona.

tt, it's hard to be left out and feeling less favored.  I can't imagine why or how that would happen, but I do know your DIL would be so much more blessed to include you in things like that.

Well, I better get back to work; I'd like to have the kitchen and vacuuming done before DH gets home with Gracie.

Blessings,
    ~kar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, where did you get your cake spatula? I have been looking all over for it; can't find it anywhere.
    It's a long drive, even from Altoona. But at least the two of you had company and could release one another. PB son is driving all by himself in a old jeep packed to the top. DH offered to fly down and drive back with him, but he didn't accept that offer. Can't have another passenger; need all the space, I can get. Well, he is young. I am just nervous for him breaking down at night. Hopefully that won't happen. I know, a mother's worries. Will be happy to hear him ringing the door bell.
    Oh - he just called from his first stop, as I was typing. He is in good mood. Things going well so far. Good to hear from him.
    Re: Christmas cards. We have been chiseling down every year. Now, we just sent to far away family and friends. Close friends and family, we call. I used to send over 100 to 150 cards with handwritten greetings and envelopes. Not only was it an expensive deal, but it became quite a chore as well. We still get photo cards; some from children of friends, we hardly see any longer. Never met the people on the photo. I guess we are on their mailing list (probably from their wedding), and they just print out the labels and stick them on an envelope, without any concern to where it is going. The Christmas card, that really make me angry every year is from DH's brother and family. Some secretary take care of it. It is one of the most impersonal cards we receive. And it usually comes mid January. I did tell him once, not to bother sending it. But that went for deaf ears. Ok, that was my vent for the day. Thanks for listening. - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, Pingo,

This is the one from the store I bought it: Cake Spatula  

Good he checked in.  I've made the drive by myself; you're so right - it's a lot better with great company!  He'll be there before you know it. :)

We send about 60, and so far I still enjoy it, but we're only on year 2 of sending them.  We'll see how it goes.  Shame on anyone sending a totally impersonal Christmas card to family.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

"She never thinks of me for these things, and it's rather hurtful." 

tt, why not tell your son to inform of you your GS's school events? Maybe your DIL has her hands full. Also, it seems kind of sexist that you expect her to be your GS's calendar. What else do you ask of her? Do you want her to tell you, because she's a woman? Weird in 2011. Tell your son to get off his duff and make time to tell you about your GS's events.

Local newspapers will publish events such as that at OLA for free. It goes under school notices. You don't have to pay for them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Nice school, BTW. The children there really end up going places - fine colleges, fine careers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Reindeergirl,
    I hope tt will ignore your little insult. No matter how sexist you find it, even in 2011 fathers go to work and mothers stay at home with the children, if they are able to. So moms are the ones that take care of the children's school and after school activities and events. My DH went to most of his boys events and activities, but had no clue when and where they would take place. Likewise, when I wasn't working, I had no clue of what was happening in the business. Didn't have a need to know either. When an occasion came up, where I needed to be present, he would tell me and I would show up. When our children had an event, I would put it down in DH's calendar: School play @ 7:00 pm or Teacher/Parents conference @ 6:15 pm - he would then arrange to be there.
    Now how sexist is that? You must be burning inside - Pingo

In Response to Re: December 2011:
    [QUOTE]"She never thinks of me for these things, and it's rather hurtful."  tt, why not tell your son to inform of you your GS's school events? Maybe your DIL has her hands full. Also, it seems kind of sexist that you expect her to be your GS's calendar. What else do you ask of her? Do you want her to tell you, because she's a woman? Weird in 2011. Tell your son to get off his duff and make time to tell you about your GS's events. Local newspapers will publish events such as that at OLA for free. It goes under school notices. You don't have to pay for them.
    Posted by reindeergirl[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Reindeergirl, It is a DIL's JOB to keep her inlaws informed about their grandchildrens activities....so in time her children don't feel slighted cause their grandparents didn't bother to attend......don't you know how to do anything cept critisize.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What a great partnership, Pingo, my happily married friend.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

rdg seems to believe that partnerships in marriage with traditional roles based on biological and emotional truths (can someone tell me one husband that is the calendar keeper in the marriage?) is passe and to be disparaged.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

DH, traditionally enough, has been building walls in the basement today to make 3 rooms.  I've been doing my woman's work of dusting, vacuuming, and baking.  And, I must bid you adieu for now to get dinner on.  DH picked beets and Brussels sprouts, and I'll be roasting chicken thighs to go with.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

[QUOTE]DH, traditionally enough, has been building walls in the basement today to make 3 rooms.  I've been doing my woman's work of dusting, vacuuming, and baking.  And, I must bid you adieu for now to get dinner on.  DH picked beets and Brussels sprouts, and I'll be roasting chicken thighs to go with.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Between the gun training and the bees and everything else, are the two of you survivalists?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm home after a wonderful full day.  Good company, good food, and a good play. Additional bonus was enjoying all the Christmas lights as we drove home from NH.

I see the boards were busy this afternoon.  There are some mean spirited posters, but I take it from where it comes - someone I never cared for and who with each post whether it be here or another thread, just reinforces that feeling.  Not to worry, friends.

Pingo, something interesting about the Fair that I really wasn't able to clear up. When I mentioned to my son that I would have loved to bake some goodies for the cookie boxes, and to let me know next year in time for the Fair, he said this was the first year they've had a Christmas Fair fund raiser.  I was talking to one of the teachers at the game afterwards, and she said the same.  So, I'm wondering if the fairs you refer to when your boys went there, were strictly for the students.  Odd.

Is your son home yet, Pingo?  I can't scroll back to see when you said he was expected, without losing my posting, but I hope he's arrived safe and sound.

Winter, I hope you didn't take offense at my cookie pic or my questions/suggestions, I was just curious of how other schools did their cookie sale - I had never seen one before and wondered if all the schools do a boxful for  x amount of $.  Since this was their first, I'm sure they are looking for any helpful hints too.

Cheerio's been fed, I've downed an English muffin with cheese, a glass of milk and one of those delicious coconut/chocolate squares, so want to change into my comfy, warm nightclothes and see if there's anything on TV.  Opted for regular coffee today (2 cups) so I'll be up a while!  Chat tomorrow.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  I was out all day until10 p.m. Christmas shopping yesterday.  tt, I wasn't offeneded.  We do our bake sale, price per cookie.  If we did a container full for $5 I would have been out in no time flat.  That's a very good variety of cookies and they look tasty.  it sounds like you had a wonderful time at the play tt.
    Hope everyone had a good day yesterday.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Handsome Harry was out there this morning - I heard him crying as I fed Cheerio.  Such a nice cat.  Just wanted to talk and rub around my legs, wasn't interested in the kibble, went off to hide under the shrub, so I filled the birdfeeder.

It's gorgeous out - how much longer can this beautiful weather for December hold on.  Hope I can finish up what I need to get for Christmas before snow flies.

Winter, how much did you price the cookies?  I'm wondering if OLA sold individual cookies to kids who might have wanted just one.  I was there early on, and I'm betting by noon they probably were sold out too.  Their fair ran from 10-3. 

The geese around here seem to be confused.  I guess because of the warmth, they haven't left for wherever yet, have heard them honking this morning, back and forth from the pond down to the marshy area.

I ordered 2 copies of Stephen King's new novel, before seeing the size of the book - OMG, it's humungous.  The guys I ordered it for take whatever they're reading to work to read at lunch and break times.  They'd never lug this in, so I'll have to put that on my list of returns this week.  Hate to return things, that's why I usually buy sight seen, instead of online.

Getting near 9, so it would be a good idea to shower and dress and make some use of the morning.  Have an afternoon appt. so don't want to get involved in anything too heavy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, friends,

Where did the weekend go?  It flew so fast, and I couldn't believe it was time to wave goodbye already this morning.

tt, what a perfect day, every minute of it - wonderful!  And, you are in good company regarding rdg; I think we all got it handed to us in Parents over the apple cutting, lol.

You guys have me craving cookies...but, I've already started my annual WWG, Winter Weight Gain, and will resist.  I'd like to actually lose a few pounds before we go to NH for Christmas.

Gracie's new crate came; got it Cyber Monday for 1/2 price (I've been shopping for one for months so I know it really was half), no shipping, no tax.  It's not exactly a travel one, but it does assemble and break down fairly easily so while we're in NH she won't need to be crammed into her original crate that she outgrew by about 20 lbs.  That one will go in a yard sale next year.  I have quite a few items that I'm sure will sell; can't wait for Spring.

Will be making the most of the warm weather with Gracie today - not sure what we'll do, but definitely something fun. :)

Blessings,
    ~kar

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Son came and went. Had an uneventful trip. Made it in an impressive 11-1/2 hours. But he only stopped for gas fills, a pit stop and stretching his legs. He had brought along plenty of water and a couple of sandwiches plus some munching stuff, so he didn't have to spend time stopping to eat food, he doesn't care for anyway. But boy, was he hungry. He loved the stew, I had made. We had a nice visit; but short. Up at 4:30 this morning to send him off. Glad those early morning flights are over with. The international flights leave around 9 pm. More to my liking.
    tt, who is Handsome Harry? Is that Pretty Baby with a name change? It sounds like you had a wonderful day yesterday. That nanny friend of yours must be so special. One doesn't need to go to Broadway to experience a good play. Those locals do a wonderful job. Maybe the geese not leaving is a good sign for this winter. I am also hoping we get through w/o snow until at least January.
    Winter, did you finish your shopping yesterday? Hope you had good luck.
    Kar, Gracie's "new crate"? You had me in shock for a few minutes - until you mentioned it was her traveling crate. I still remember all the sweat your DH put into making that gorgeous crate for her. Christmas in NH - that should be lovely. Hope for you, that BIL is not going to be there. I do think you mentioned, he would stay in FLA.
    Re FLA - have to get ready for our visit with Mickey Mouse. Only a few days away. I am so excited.
    Hope you all will enjoy this warm day - one never know, when we all will be shivering. - Pingo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---he said this was the first year they've had a Christmas Fair fund raiser.----

tt, could that be in recent years? I hate to tell you how long ago our boys graduated from there. And I doubt very much, that any of their teachers are still teaching there. At least I hope, that is true for the children attending now. - Pingo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Got a call a few minutes ago from the guy who does my plowing - just to let me know they would continue this year - when we get snow!  He does construction work as his main job, so I'm sure he's glad to have this extension of good weather.

Yeah, Handsome Harry is Pretty Baby.  I think he's a male, and Pretty Baby seems not to fit, so Handsome Harry he is, at least today!

Glad all went well with your son's travels, Pingo.  I'm sure he'll call you as soon as he gets to England.  Hope he's able to catch some zzzzzz's on the plane.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, so glad DS arrived safely after his marathon trip - he did it in amazing time.  I bet your stew tasted so good!  Too bad his visit had to be so short.  And, OMG, Pingo, that's funny!  Gracie will definitely have that permanent crate forever. :)

ETA:  Oh, I like "Handsome Harry" if PB is a guy!  He wasn't interested in kibble?  I wish someone else around here wouldn't be quite so interested...  DH asked this morning if I were sure she's getting enough to eat.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yeah,, the indoor cat here should be a little less interested in kibble too!  You can't walk through the kitchen without her taking up her stance beside her empty dish and the water bowl - meowing!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh tt, PB son is not leaving for England today. First we have to visit Mickey, then we have to spent Christmas in Texas - and then he will be leaving for England on Jan. 9th. From then on, he will probably be BH son, unless I come up w/ something better. - Pingo

[QUOTE]Got a call a few minutes ago from the guy who does my plowing - just to let me know they would continue this year - when we get snow!  He does construction work as his main job, so I'm sure he's glad to have this extension of good weather. Yeah, Handsome Harry is Pretty Baby.  I think he's a male, and Pretty Baby seems not to fit, so Handsome Harry he is, at least today! Glad all went well with your son's travels, Pingo.  I'm sure he'll call you as soon as he gets to England.  Hope he's able to catch some zzzzzz's on the plane.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Has he gone back to PB?  I'm confused - probably something you all already knew!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, this year I sold the cookies for 50 cents each because last year I was told they were too cheap .25 cents.  I had kids buying one cookie and people filling baggies. 
    Pingo, I didn't finish all our shopping, I think we have aboue 8 people left.  I got some great bargins at the Filene's Basement at the NS Mall.  One of my friends got her husband 5 suits for $550.  And these are nice suits too.