December 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: December 2011

Wow, Winter.  That was some Christmas shopping.  Is the NSH Filene's one of those that is closing?  I know there's one at Square One too and when I was over there to T.J. Maxx's I saw big sale signs in the windows - everything must go.  Didn't have the extra energy to poke in there after walking in from behind Dick's Sporting Goods where I had to park, prowling through Maxx, and then saving enough energy to make it back out to the car.  Maybe I'll hit it some day this week.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yes tt, that one is closing and they still have some great stuff.  They have tuxes for between $30-$50, scarfs, gloves, etc.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes, he went back to PB for a couple of days to clean up his apartment and to pack and mail the last few things. Friday will be his last day. - Pingo

In Response to Re: December 2011:
    [QUOTE]Has he gone back to PB?  I'm confused - probably something you all already knew!
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

WOW, Winter - that is some bargains. Are the goods returnable though? Usually it is not, when it is a store closing. I am always careful not to buy gifts such places, as the receiver cannot return the gift if they want to do so.
    Your friend is lucky. Filene's Basement has great suits. A friend of mine used to be buyer there and told me, the suits are brand names, even though they have the Filene's label on them. - Pingo

[QUOTE]Yes tt, that one is closing and they still have some great stuff.  They have tuxes for between $30-$50, scarfs, gloves, etc.
    Posted by Winter2011Bride[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Good morning ladies,

Just want to say a quick hello.  The board were busy this weekend!  I can't get over this weather.  Love it and my gas bill does too.  I hope it is a sign of an easy winter.  Last year was horrible.  I hope everyone has a great day and you all get out to enjoy.  I am def taking a lunch outside.  Chat later!

p.s. I wonder how BG is doing?  She is missed..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yes, Amber, I'm thinking of bg too.  Have put out a couple of calls to her on the boards, but guess she's not in a place where she wants to jump back in yet.

For a fairly decent day, my chicken sure kept boiling down.  I had to keep adding more and more water, even tho I had the heat low.  Thinking of chicken salad for supper.  Need to get some groceries, but that's going to have to wait a couple of days, I've too much other stuff to do.  Freezer compartment is really down, except for a few containers and a bag of stuff I freeze until rubbish day.

I can't seem to get full today, don't know what it is I'm craving, but evidently I haven't hit upon it yet!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hm, maybe I shouldn't have cleaned you out, tt - sorry.  Those were some mighty delicious goodies, though...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo, they can't be retunred, but the stuff I bought wouldn't need to be, I was pretty confident that the receiver would be.  My friend was also certain about the suits, since suits need to be altered anyway it was a great deal for her.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

We are all missing BG. Lets hope and pray, she and her family are well. - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mm, the holidays are very tough for anyone with anorexia; food everywhere and tons of pressure to eat it from friends and family who might not get the depth of the issue.  Praying she's navigating healthfully through the season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, agree w/ you full hearted. Let's keep BG and her family in our prayers.
    I once knew one with this disease. A long, long, l-o-n-g time ago. Long before it was being discussed in public. Anorexia wasn't even in our vocabulary then. She worked w/ us in our lab, and whenever she had night duty, she would cook her dinner there. She would boil cauliflower, throw out the cauliflower and eat the "soup". And we were taunting her - I feel so guilty about it now. But at that time - no one knew better. I don't know, what happened to her, but at the time, she looked like a bag of bones. I truly hope she got some help. It is such a dreadful disease. - Pingo
    [QUOTE]Mm, the holidays are very tough for anyone with anorexia; food everywhere and tons of pressure to eat it from friends and family who might not get the depth of the issue.  Praying she's navigating healthfully through the season.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, you know we can only use the information we have at any given time, and you didn't have what you needed to be more sensitive - if you had, you certainly would have led the charge for more sensitivity and getting her the help she needed.  That poor thing with her "soup."  I teetered on the edge myself in college, and knew a close friend who almost died of it.  She was getting her master's degree in mathematics and had taken a history class as an elective that was over her head.  It was her last class before graduation, and she wasn't going to make it.  I took all her library books (no internet sources were allowed) and wrote her 15 page final paper for her in 2 days on comparing and contrasting the Salem Witch Trials and McCarthyism.  "She" got an and a comment from the professor that said something like, "GREAT interpretation of class discussion."  We've laughed every since over that.  I wasn't in the habit of cheating, as you can imagine, but for pete's sake how bad was it to write a paper for someone getting a Master's in Mathematics in her History of Witchcraft class, one she THOUGHT she could handle despite being very sick.  I couldn't see letting her fail for no good reason.  She did complete all her devestatingly difficult math classes because she's THAT smart.  Anyway, after a couple of in-patient programs she DID recover and is living a happy, healthy life...married to...if you can believe this...a professional pastry chef.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, this is such an awesome story. Bless you for being such a good friend. You are making me feel better. True, we did not have any information about anorexia then. But still, I feel we should have looked for signs of abnormalities, before we made fun of her. I am still angry at myself, for not trying to helping her. But to my defence, I was not the leader. This is what a group can do, and I am not proud of being part of it. I have since learned the hard way to stay away from such cliques. I was young then, and I guess I wanted to fit in. Stupid me. When I think back, I didn't gain anything from being part of that group of friends.  They were not bad friends; individually they were great. - Pingo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We were all young once and would change things based on what we know today if we could.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OMG, I've been farting around here and there and just realized I have 10 minutes before I have to leave for my chriro appointment.  Then, getting 2 fillings replaced.  Then, on to TJs and Petsmart.  ACK!!!  More later, ladies, have a great day!

~kar

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

tt, I never realized that anyone frooze their leftovers until trash day.....I thought I was the inventor of that...another thing we have in common.ss

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]tt, I never realized that anyone frooze their leftovers until trash day.....I thought I was the inventor of that...another thing we have in common.ss
    Posted by shakersilly2010[/QUOTE]

Yup, I have a bag in  there with an assortment that would make quite a soup -
    already frozen once roast beef, wilted celery, fish scraps, to name a few!  Let me tell you, I miss my old garbage pail and the garbage pick up.

Glad it's not raining, have to get out early, and then I may tack on the returns I have to make, with possibly a bite out for myself.  Tomorrow's going to be a serious list-in-hand Christmas shopping day, with as much done locally as I can.  Now that I hear that "S" word being mentioned on the forecasts, it hurries me to get as much done as I can.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning ladies,
    Add me to the "garbage freezers". I also thought, I was the only one. Veggie stuff goes in my disposal, but bones, chicken skin, meat and anything that can stink up my garage goes in a zip-lock bag in the freezer until trash day.
    Actually, I like it a lot better this way. We used to have a garbage collector a long time ago. Our garbage pail was in ground - outside our kitchen door. I hated to go out there after dinner with the scraps. And we always had to worry about the racoons. They are smart animals and no matter how we fastened the lid, they would open the pail and make such a mess, I then had to clean up.
    Kar, do you still have acorn squash left? I saw in some S & S flyer a "recipe" for baking them. Last night I made them. Cut in half, bake for 30 minutes until almost done. Fill the cavity with whole cranberry sauce (I had some of my home made sauce left from TG) and bake for another 10 minutes. Delicious! I served it with pork chops, but your roasted chicken legs would go well with them too.
    I just can't bear thinking of snow. They do say rain and snow. I am hoping for rain.
    Have enough work cut out for me at the office - better get myself in gear. - Pingo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

[QUOTE]tt, I never realized that anyone frooze their leftovers until trash day.....I thought I was the inventor of that...another thing we have in common.ss
    Posted by shakersilly2010[/QUOTE]

You are not alone...my Grandmother taught me that one

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Icer, is there any chance of us seeing the gingerbread house now?  Is the event you made it for over?  I really missed seeing the ones competing at the Christmas Fair in Boston.  -  If you don't want to post it, I understand.

ETA:  I am dragging this morning, have cancelled early morning plans.  Fitful sleep last night, found myself all over the bed, maybe that's the culprit.  No ambition to do anything right now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, sorry you had a bad night's sleep. I truly know, how you must be feeling this morning. Happens to me a lot. Last night I slept ALL night. No waking up, no pit stops. This doesn't happen very often. And I did nothing different from my usual schedule. Go figure!
    Too bad you had to cancel your appointments. But I understand; I have had mornings like that.
    Hope you will feel better as the day goes by. - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I hope you feel better tt...  I seen a sign at the train station from the MBTA saying the are going to operate at a reduced service schedule during severe weather.  Wow.  They don't run right when it snows anyway, and so now they are planning on reducing it more?  So we get to wait in the cold and snow to get on a bus and/or train that will be packed.  I guess I will be sick on those days. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, I know, Amber.  I felt guilty skipping out of this morning's appt., but even tho I'm at least showered and dressed now, I am really dragging.  Had yearly physical yesterday, and all the numbers are great, so that isn't it.  Don't know how my cholesterol was "down" with the sweets I consume, but evidently I'm doing something to combat it.  Maybe moving around more with the holiday season and things to do.  -  I'm not sick at all this morning, no sympathy needed, just running on low speed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Good Morning Everybody -

tt, I had a night like that on Sunday.  I got four hours sleep. 

I freeze bones and anything else I can't get down the disposal.  I wish I could compost, but I'm too close to the river and worry about vermin.  Some of my neighbors have these heavy plastic boxes that they claim are critter proof.  I'm not so sure. I've never had a problem and want to keep it that way.

amber, I know what you mean about the T.  I'm grateful I don't have to take a bus unless I'm really feeling lazy.  I can walk to the train and do most days.  We have a girl in the office who lives in the part of Malden close to route 1.  She always has problems when it snows.  My boss is very good about letting us work from home if it's really bad.

Went to the family party Saturday and it was as expected.  Sunday's brunch was great!  Decorations and food were wonderful.  Lasted until late afternoon.  They served mulled cider and green martinis with maraschino cherries as a garnish. They were yummy. Really got me in the spirit.  Came home and dragged out my window lights and outside lights.  This weekend I'll get a small tree.  Saturday night I have a party to go to.  I'm starting to think about baking cookies and figuring out which ones to bake.  My mother used to make a pinwheel cookie - chocolate and peanut butter.  I started searching through her recipe box last night. No luck yet.

No NY office party this year.  Instead my boss's family is establishing a scholarship at the high school they all attended.  Fine with me.  It wouldn't have been the same this year anyway.

Walked home last night and stopped at Starbucks on the way.  Treated myself to a peppermint hot chocolate.  Tasted so good.  Well, better get back to work. 

mothermitzi

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I have a "freeze ahead" cookie recipe (years old from some magazine), that has a pinwheel, but it's vanilla (or was it chocolate?) and pistachio.  When the boys were small I used to make those, makes a lot of dough and then had 3 or 4 different suggestions you could make from those.  May just take a look at that myself.

Did my returns, had bought 2 of Stephen King's newest book, without realizing the bulk size of it.  When they came over the week-end I realized the two people I was buying them for would never lug it back and forth to work to read on breaks.  Returned those to the store and did all my B&N book/magazine shopping with my member's discount plus 3 20% coupons they had mailed me.  Had planned on stopping in Target or KMart to search out a couple of games, but legs and back decided otherwise.  Home now for lunch and Y&R.