December 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: December 2012

Good morning everyone. I started wrapping some presents last night. I have a Christmas gathering tomorrow night so I have to get those gifts ready and I think I have to bake cookies tonight, which will be late since DS has a Christmas Pageant tonight.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think I'll wrap our stuff today, too.  It's all in a pile upstairs in the shipping boxes.  Christmas is bearing down on us like a freight train...  BIL is playing his reindeer games, and I want everything to just be over.  I know, bah humbug, but you'd feel the same, believe me.  Sigh.  

I'll also be cooking for Christmas today; I got a recipe for make ahead gravy I can freeze.  I'll make double and freeze in two portions, one for Christmas Day, and one for New Year's Day (our second Christmas dinner).  I bought two 22 lb turkeys while they were $1/lb.  Figured they'd be more after Christmas like they were after Thanksgiving.

we went out to a fancy, yummy dinner to celebrate my hitting my weight loss goal.  I get the irony, LOL, but honestly, I didn't do any damage.  I boxed up half, my new go out to eat rule, and made out just great.

tt, I hope your being able to eat well again renews your strength every day.  You've still got time before Christmas for continued improvement!

prin, tomorrow's your yucky day...how are you making out?

have a great day, everyone

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I wrapped all our personal presents last week and have wrapped a couple for people I wll see before the hols, but all of a sudden everyone wants me to work!  Three days lost so I'm at a manageable point, not ahead as I had hoped to be.

TT so glad that the Roast Beef hit the spot.  Do please keep drinking because the elevated levels after a virus such as the one you had might be reversible and I can hear in your unsaid words that you are trepidatious about possible kidney failure...certainly there can be no harm in a few glasses of water - can't hurt might help....still keeping good thoughts for you and all the others dealing with ill-health at this time of year.  I know a young lady facing 6 hours of surgery this week.  Not a life threatening illness now it's been diagnosed but certainly Christmas in hospital is not ideal.

Anyway, have been listening to Bing and Dean and Frank and Nat these last few days!  Takes me back to my youth when it was just the background of what I thought of as my parents' music - mine was Suzy Snowflake and Jack Frost and Santa songs....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

I love wrapping gifts.  Mine are all done. 

Kar - I'm sorry your BIL is up to his old tricks.  What a way to damper Christmas.

I am hanging in there.  I cannot even look at another cup of Jello, lol.  Been pretty much sticking to club soda with lemon.  Not looking forward to tonight, but at least my appt is at 7am so I should be fine by 9am.

TT - I hope you are continuing to mend. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You must be famished, prin.  BIL's tricks are constant; I just don't deal with him unless I have to, and since we are hosting Christmas...well, you get the idea. Thanks for commiserating with me. Hugs!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    Sounds like everyone is on fast track the last few days before Christmas. I found, that no matter how much you plan ahead, there is always crunch time before the holidays.

Kar, could you please share that make ahead gravy recipe? This is one of my nightmares, standing there with two greasy ducks to be cut and making gravy at the last minute at the same time - LOL. I have frozen leftover gravy before, but haven't been successful and opted to throw it out. Sorry you will have to deal with that BIL of yours. Is he staying over too? Don't let him crush your Christmas spirit.

Princess, tomorrow is your day. Hope and pray it will help them give you a proper treatable diagnosis, so you can be well again. Will think of you.

Hats, like you I have most of my gifts wrapped. This year I turned my dining table into a "wrapping center", with everything I needed and wrapped them as I got them in the house. I wanted to avoid the usual wrapping marathon. I was also listening to "Bing and Dean and Frank and Nat" while doing it.

Glad to learn, you are feeling so much better, tt. I am sure that roastbeef hit the spot. And yes, listen to Hats and try to drink up.

I just came back from my bone doc. The MRI shows, I have moderate to severe arthritis in my hip plus a tear in two of the muscle tendons. So for now, he sent me to 4 weeks of PT for some ultrasound and to strenghten while the tendons are healing. Then we will see after that. Funny thing though, today I am 99% painless. Just like a tooth ache that goes away, when you see the dentist.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Part of the stress is you never know what he's going to do.  He talks, but he might as well be saying, "blah, blah, blah," for how much you can count on it being true.  Who the heck knows.  It's not even worth stating the "plan."  

Here's the gravy recipe.  I haven't made it before, but real foodies in the family did, and it got rave reviews.  I have no doubt it's fabulous.  And, yes, it solves a big time problem the day of the meal.  Oh, wait, here it is, and it's an allrecipes.com one called "Make-Ahead Turkey Gravy."  The first ingredient is "6 turkey wings."  There's a hand-written note on my copy (sent through the snail mail) that says they replaced one cup of the chicken broth with white wine.

Oh, my, no wonder you've needed a cane and cannot exercise the way you want.  I hope the PT allows it to heal, at least the tendons.  Arthritis is a b, but I've heard Celebrex described as a "miracle drug," but of course it has potential side effects/risks, and I know you aren't big on prescription drugs.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo, have you every had the Turkey gravy at Harrow's? It's very good. I was very surprised the first time I had it. You just reheat with the meal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

No, Winter, I have never tried it. I am sure it is good. I once tried the jarred stuff. Good it was just to try it and I didn't have company waiting for it. We couldn't eat it - it tasted like glue. Yuck!
    I don't mind making my own, have done it hundreds of times. You get all that good juice and browned bits. Why waste that? It is just, that it would be wonderful to be able to make it ahead of time, instead of having to do it while the kitchen is "hot". At least one could make the base a little thicker, then add the juice and browned bits from the bird just before serving.

Kar, thanks for the recipe. It is very similar to the one I make, except I also add cream. That is probably, why I failed when I froze it. Don't forget the red currant jelly. Yum!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I like your idea of adding the pan tasties to the make-ahead version the day the bird is cooked.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo I was the same way until DH showed up with it before we were married. I added the bits, etc. to the gravy. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'm heading out soon. Have a good night everyone. Hope tt is ok today, she hasn't been on. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Spent the day in the hospital having an IV.  He feels I'm over the worst of it, and get this, I've the OK to eat as much salt in the next few days as I like!

Good luck tomorrow, Princess.  Hospital is not a place you want to be in now, full of the flu.  I had to go through the ER and am praying I did not pick up something the 5 hours I was there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Popping in to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, and send my wishes for peace, health and happiness to you and your families!  Hopefully tomorrow won't be too busy and I'll have some time to chat.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

TT - looks like we are in the same boat RE the salt, lol.  Actually, I had some serious kidney issues while I was in the hospital and they were able to correct it with lots of fluids!  Have to start drinking the "gunk" at 6 - not looking forward to tonight, lol, but hey, I'll survive.

Got my menu and shopping list together for Christmas Eve.  I did cheat and bought a few frozen appetizers from BJs.  However, I am going to make stuffed mushrooms, tzatziki dip, Ina Garten's Ham and Cheese bake, and sweet and sour meatballs, Ina's coconut macaroons (can ya tell I have been watching Food Network?) and an old family recipe of chocolate bit cake (more like triple chocolate brownies).

Have a good evening everyone!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

@tt, I recommend homemade chicken soup (if noone has time to make it, go to the deli) saltines and gingerale...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Also TT, V8 is good and full of potassium and sodium!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Man, tt, you are going through the wringer.  I wish we could wave our wands and have it all go away!  

Prin, you, too - yucky day ahead.  Will be thinking of you.

Nov, always good to see you.  Enjoy baby's first Christmas!

picked a bunch of Brussels sprouts today, steaming them, now.  Our favorite butternut chicken soup is on the stove.  Dh will be home in 10.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

What a day to spent, tt. Hopefully it will all be for the better. Now, keep filling up that tank. Apparently your doc wants you to eat salt, so you get thirsty and drink some more, so you don't need an IV again. Did you feel better after the IV?

Good luck tonight and tomorrow, Princess. Your spread for Christmas sounds wonderful. Even though you "cheated" with some store bought aps, it still looks like you have plenty to do. And btw. it is ok to cheat. There are some great aps in the stores' freezers. I used to make bacon wrapped scallops all the time. Time consuming and expensive. Now I get them at Costco, and they are as good as the ones, I once slaved over - and less expensive. Hannaford also have some nice bacon wrapped scallops.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What's cheating about putting out a fabulous spread, anyway?  people aren't going to spit out perfectly delicious, lovely apps just because they spy the BJ's box in the trash, lol.  If I might be so bold, I suggest going heavier on BJ's and far lighter on Ina Garten's recipes.  That's a lot of work you listed out there.  They seem effortless on TV, but Ina has a gaggle of soux chefs and every show is edited for time.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

tt, hope you are riding the wave of IV fluids from yesterday and that you are no worse for wear for time in the germ infested ER.

Prin, by now you've chugged your drink (YUCK!) and had your test.  Hope you are enjoying a nice meal by now and feeling more like yourself.  Note my shamelessly mom-ish warning above.  That many recipes from scratch is far too much for even me to take on, and I'm not struggling with health issues.  Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and BJs are all loaded with delicious and diverse dishes that everyone will thoroughly enjoy.

We got a decent covering of snow last night unexpectedly.  I suppose it won't last long, though...rain is coming in soon.

Happy Friday, everyone, and merry Christmas to all early so I don't miss anyone!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Heard wind whistling between the houses last night, and fully expected each time I got up to see snow.  None here.  Glad of that.  Switched on the TV to see all the airline cancellations out west.  Hope that isn't affecting anyone on the boards.

Princess, you amaze me.  How are you ever putting together all that?  On my best day I wouldn't undertake what you are.  I watched the Ina episode with the macaroons too - weren't they easy?  I have a couple of her books and will check to see if that recipe is in there, didn't jot down exact amounts - have a son who loves macaroons.  They'd be festive for our Christmas get together - when we get together.  -  Speaking of Ina, did you see the episode this week where she and Jeffrey went back to Brooklyn to the street where she was born?  I love her, and love it when I catch her show.  Anne Burrill (not sure that's her name) was someone I really didn't care for, but watching the Food Network most of these days/nights, she's someone who has sort of grown on me.  Did a pork roast where she made the apple/ date/celery (I think it was) stuffing, rolled it into a skinny roll, poked a hole through the roast and slid the frozen stuffing in - pretty clever, I thought.  Of course, with her meals, she's got the use of two ovens going.

Okay, cheerios and a banana this morning.  Have yet to have a cup of coffee or tea in these past weeks.  They don't appeal to me.  Have been having a cup of hot water after breakfast.

Sodium level is low, Pingo, and that's why I've the OK to eat salt, and mainly why they gave me the IV.  Dr. said you really can't consume enough through food to bring it up.  Also said that would contribute to me feeling tired and louzy.

Princess, hope your test went well and that you get a "clean" bill of health.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I love Ina~I think of her as Julia's successor.  I love her rule that at a party she buys as much as she can and only makes one dish per course.  Did you ever see the episode where she showed pictures of their honeymoon camping in Europe?  Priceless.  She and Jeffrey have been together since they were teenagers and it's so rare to find a couple like that in their milieu.

TT, I hope that IV helps you turn the corner and that every day in every way you are getting better and better.  Novem, back at you!   Prin I hope the colonoscopy is over and done with...and now you can eat and gain back that weight!

Amber and MM you are in my thoughts.

Added a tree trimming party to our schedule since we haven't done it yet and the weekend turned out to be free of events.  Pingo, hope your little family Christmas is peaceful and relaxing. 

Winter if you are working, hope to hear from you and if not best wishes for a good holiday.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. tt, sorry to hear that you spent yesterday in the hospital, but I hope you feeling better today. Prin, hope your test went ok. Sounds like you have a big undertaking on Christmas Eve, hope you don't over do it. What wind and rain last night.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Novem, have a great holiday with the little one. Hats, I am working today and Monday. We leave at about 2/2:30 on Monday.