December 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: December 2012

Good morning,
    Waking up to winter wonderland; so pretty. But like you, Hats - I am not fond of the snow.
    Such nice surprise to see your post, BG. You have been missed. Glad to know, you and your family is well. If I understand you correctly, DD is spending Christmas in Ireland? Nice experience for her.
    Kar, safe driving to CT. The HWYs should be ok, but watch out for the over passes. That's usually where the black ice lurks.
    So Cheerio had her fun again. Do you have vanilla extract, tt? Try to put a small bowl of it in your toy room. That should help get rid of the smell.
    Our ham last night was fantastic. So sweet and tender. Everyone loved it. Thanks ladies for your suggestions. But now I have mounds of leftovers, plus a nice ham bone for soup. If you have any suggestions using up the ham, I would like to hear them. And your salad, Hats, hit the spot. Went really well with the ham.
    Everyone showed up despite the bad weather. It was coming down badly, just in time for everyone's arrival. We had 5 children under 6; lots of fun. Santa brought them each a plush Disney doll. Mickey and Minnie, Tigger and Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh and Bruce the shark from Nemo for the 6 year old. Big hit.
    I put the food away and cleaned up the kitchen a bit last night, but I was really, really tired and fell into my bed, so this morning I have a lot of work to do straightening up the place.
    The kids will have friends over, but I am planning to play it lazy today.
    Have a good one and sty warm.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You're having a nice full Christmas holiday celebration, Pingo.  Last night sounds like fun.  Thoughtful of Santa to leave gifts there for the kids.

Nanny friend called and came up for an hour last night.  We haven't seen each other since I've been sick - talked on the phone a couple of times a week, but haven't actually gotten together.  We exchanged our little gifts and I caught up on all that has been going on in her life (nothing new here to report!).

Plow guy just came, and I didn't realize until after he had finished that it wasn't the guy I hire to plow me, but the son of the people next door (who hasn't lived there for a couple of years).  Even went to the door and said good morning to him, and was going to remark on his new mustache!  Gawd, the guys in their 20's, all look alike to me!  Appreciate him plowing my driveway along with his father's, but I don't want to lose my regular  guys.  They do the back walk and clear off my car, as well.  I'll have to watch for his red truck next time and politely tell him that I don't want to lose the guys that have been doing it for years.  (His own mother has said that he's not dependable, and may show up or may not).  Had a blueberry scone in a baggie along with the money to give him when he finished, but of course, he never "finished", and never came to the door - since he wasn't who I thought he was!  Lordie!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo, what about Pasta with Alfredo sauce, ham, and peas?  Senate bean soup (you can Google the recipe) if you are tired of pea soup.  Ham salad - grind the leftover ham and add mayo, pickle relish and (all optional) green pepper. or onions and/or celery all chopped really finely.  Or what you will - red pepper, a dash of hot sauce - you know what your family likes.  Serve on small rolls or as open faced sandwiches on rye bread - but I don't have to tell a Dane how to make open face sandwiches!

TT so funny about the next door 'boy' doing you a good turn - at this time of year even the undependable feel goodwill towards (wo)man - maybe you could put a note and baggie out for the regulars so they will know what the situation is and do the rest of the job.  Or call and leave a message on the answering machine.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm surprised I haven't seen any signs of their trucks yet.  It's not usually this late in the morning that they plow.  Was hoping to see them.  Before we have the next snowfall, I will put a call into the office and let them know.

The "goodwill" I'm sure was a guilty conscience - remember Thanksgiving when we couldn't even pull into my driveway because all their company had filled it, and they  then moved 1 car asking if that gave us enough room?  She has steered clear of me since then, she knew I was furious.  

I have leftover ham today too, Pingo, but mine is only half of a ham slice I fixed last night for supper.  Thinking of making a baked potato to go with, and cook up some carrots as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, God is  taking care of me this morning - just stepped outside to clear off the car, when my regular plow guy pulled up and said, "Are you all set?"  He came in and finished shoveling out front and then did the back walk for me.  I explained what had happened and he said "Don't worry. I'll stop by every storm and make sure you have everything done."  Then he didn't want to take the full amount of money I gave him, but I insisted.  i was so grateful.  Hope he enjoys the scone.

Just put my potato in the oven to bake and will get the carrots ready now.  Worked up an appetite.  there was a coating of ice under all the snow on the car.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks, Hats. Will use some of it, the way you suggested. Ham salad will go well for lunch today. They have 3 friends over to play board games, so that's what I will make them for lunch later. Generally they don't want to bother me, but order pizza or sandwiches. But since I have so much food in the house already, I will make good use of it. And that is the last I want to see of the ham tday. Tonight I am going to make pressure cooker ribs. Yum!

Funny story about your "goodwill" snowplower, tt. Is your driveway attached to your neighbors w/o a fence? That will take very good neighbors, not to run into problems. I think Hats' suggestion leaving a baggie w/ a note for your normal plower is a good one. As long as you don't cut the fee, I don't think they will care if part of the snow removal is done.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

We posted at the same time, tt. Glad things worked out for you. Nice regular plower, you have there.
    The 4 of my family members went out earlier to shovel (actually pushing the snow) the driveway. We have a long driveway, but with the 4 of them it took them only 1/2 hour. Their friends were amazed, how clean it was.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Intown son just stopped by to make sure my car was cleared and driveway taken care of.  Sent him home with a couple of blueberry scones and a bottle of "chardonnay" (non alcoholic) that I had at Christmas along with martinellis.  Figured the kids might enjoy it New years Eve.  Potato is in oven and carrots on top of stove cooking, and I'll heat the slice of ham in a little orange juice, and make a salad to go with.  Nice Sunday dinner for myself.

The driveway abuts their driveway - actually I did that when the teenage boys all had their own cars.  Had the little fence taken down and the grass taken out and hot topped, leaving just a narrow strip of dirt between mine and the then elderly neighbors.  these people seem to think nothing of parking on it without even asking.  I know it's my fault that I should tell her I really don't want them using it as their own, but when we've had trees etc. taken down it's been perfectly clear to them where the boundary line is.  Sometimes I say to myself, why do you mind, if you're not using it, but I think it's their ASSUMING their friends can park there rather than on the street.  Anyway, that's MY problem unless I decide to speak up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hi tt,

I am bored to death today so hoping you are still on. We haven't spoken in ages it seems.. I sure would love a blueberry scone though : ) DD emailed me to see if I am ok, which of course I am but happy she did that. She doesn't live near me anymore so that is weird sometimes. The girls next door and I share the driveway but I don't have a car right now. But I want the spot for company. When we had the city main water pipes replaced, I allowed one of them to use my spot as there was no parking. They are very good about asking and I feel the same way you do. If you ask, no problem, but if you take advantage, then there will be an issue. Boo is sound asleep behind me on the couch and Tigger is under my bedspread as I didn't make my bed this morning. He loves being hidden : )

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I would find that annoying too.
    We sometimes have our neighbors ask if they can use our driveway for their guests. Fine with us as long as they don't block the garage, so we can get out if needed. Another neighbor asks, if his visiting brother can park his car on the small paved area we have next to our garage for DH's tennis players to use. He and his famly comes for a week or so at the time, and in the winter time, we are not allowed to park on the street. They are very good about it, and always ask.
    A little goodwill goes a long way. When we are traveling, they will pick up our mail and park their cars on and off on our driveway, to make the house look occupied. They have also cleaned our driveway, when we were away, and place some of their trash at our curb on trash day. Of course we would do the same for them, if they were to be away for a longer period of time.
    Interesting, we don't socialize with any of our neighbors - except for a "hello" once in a while. Everyone around here are professionals, leave early and come home late. So we have to make an effort to see and meet each other. The new couple next door had a baby, and she was 2 months old, before we knew.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hi Pingo,

My neighbors are the same here. I have become friends with one (Shadows family)  but the rest are not friendly. Makes me miss my house.. We were all friends on a Terrace for many years, so this was an adjustment to me. The 3 girls that live next door to me are so sweet and friendly but yet the other tenants on the other side, 2 girls and one guy, are not. I made them gravy when they moved in and gave it to them with a loaf of french bread and a bottle of wine (same as I did with the girls) and I never received a thank you (or my bowl back) or seen them since. They are Harvard students who's parents are obviously paying their rent, but basic manners was never taught obviously. So sad to see book smart and common sense lacking. Where is tt??  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Hi all--Yahoo--back on ! My darling children bought me a new laptop. I have not gone back and ready everything, just jumping in. I went back a page or two, but knew I could not keep up.

TT--glad your leak was caught before it became a worse problem. Water can cause so many problems-glad they were able to trace it right away.

Pingo-what a busy season you are having-a houseful, and lots of activities-fun!

Quiet here right now--DS1 did the shoveling, BIL jut left, and now DS1 just left for shopping for me--DH wants either corned beef and cabbage, or pot roast. He is getting pot roast! I told him supermarket doesn't have corned beef at this time of year. (little white lie!) For my mind, if they do have it it will be too expensive, since I would have to cook at least two-they eat so much of it.

DS1 has a friend coming for the game-not sure if anyone else will be here. I am toying with the idea of inviting 1 to 3 couples over tomorrow for a late afternoon/early evening dinner, but am feeling lazy, and may not.  DD invited me to go out with her tomorrow night, down towards RI somewhere to her friends house, with a sleepover. Sounds like fun, but I know I will not go.

DS2 got engaged right before Christmas-on the 23rd-we are so happy! We knew it was coming, but didn't tell anyone. They are thinking  maybe a Dec wedding next year.

Amber--praying things turn around for you job wise.  Your DD has been wonderful to you--how is she feeling?

I had our kitty undere a blanket the other day-she kind of like it, I think.  She is creating havoc here with some of my Christmas lights--I have the little battery lights on both sides of each stair going upstairs, and she is batting them around like hockey pucks. They look so pretty at night with the swags and lights on the railings, but turning off 24 lights on my way to bed when I am tired is not fun!! She is so cute- all black with a tiny bit of white at the bottom of her throat. Kind of long hair, and very sleek. No shedding yet-I have only seen some on one of the chairs, but nothing noticeable. I am not sure if shedding is seasonal or not--our old cat seemed to shed all the time, but she was 22 years old!

OK--will keep checking back--gotta get busy with a few things here....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hello everyone. Seems like everyone is having a good day. What time should I be over for ham,  Pingo? tt, I'll swing by for twos scones and drop one off to Amber. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Tulips, so wonderful to see you! DS2 engagement must have been wonderful even though expected : ) My DD is expecting a baby boy Joey in March! Being a first time Nana is exciting : ) What is that adorable little ball of troubles name? Winter, I love your idea! tt, where are you?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Winter, DD had ham and turkey at her BF families house Christmas BEFORE they came to my house for Roast Beef! But Joe is a big guy and had no problem eating again, but DD tried : )  The logistics will have to change when the baby comes next year and they admitted that. I too will have to adjust as I am so used to DD being here for the Holidays. I would kill for some ham salad right now.... and a blueberry scone.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh my.  Just cried my way through "Out of Africa" with Meryl Streep and Robert Redford.  Haven't seen that in years, and the music touches me so.  Such beautiful scenery and the music!  Oh I sobbed my way through a good part of it.  Glad no one walked in.  Have to keep a daily record of b.p. to report to dr. Weds., and at least it lowered it some - go figure!  Got rid of some fluid (tears!), I guess!

Nice to see everyone posting today.  Usually Sundays aren't like that.  I've got to go make a cuppa and decide whether or not to eat the last scone or pass for a sugar cookie (store bought).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Great movie tt. I loved it. My vote? Scone!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The cookie won out, I'll want the scone in the morning.  Peppermint tea tastes darn good too.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I just watched CNN news on the last fiscal cliff update, I am just beyond disgusted on what they are arguing about. Social Security and Unemployment benefits. The most neediest in this country but Obama just gave a raise to the Federal Government. I won't speak of this again, but need you to know this is my nightmare and your nightmare too for those that are collecting Social Security on this forum. I want to post more but I feel my negativity is not wanted when I get frustrated so I don't post out of respect for all of you. But I miss you all and will try to promise at least once a day with something good : ) That will be therapy for me : )  Thank you all for always being here for me... 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I would have taken the cookie and the scone : ) You have more will power than me! But then again, I would kill for one of your scones or whoopie pies, or wowie cakes....... damn.. I am drooling..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Pingo, didn't want to forget about you. I don't envy you all those young children in your house. That would make me crazy. But what a wonderful host to have gifts for them : ) You have a huge heart...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Yes, nothing like good neighbors!  One jerk of an absentee owner rented to college kids-no place for them in a family neighborhood. Disgusting drunken parties all the time-waking up the babies around here.  Then some nasty low lifes moved in, but have also since moved out. They ruined his house, which he had invested tons of money in, but I think it could not happen to a better person. He and his family lived here-then bought a second house in the neighborhood, then moved out, and rented both out to trouble people. None of us will ever forgive him--police at both houses all the time--at least one is empty right now. Oh well----enough of that.

Amber-her name is kitty! Very imaginative. I knew that -that you were going to be a grandma--best thing in the world! DD will never leave you all alone on holidays-I can tell. Yes, sharing may have to happen, but she will not NOT see you!

Well, DS came back from S&S, did not have his phone with him to call and check. So he paid top dollar for a SMALL pot roast that will barely feed us--esp if his friend his here it won't. SO that is going into the freezer, and we will get pizza or Chinese delivery!  Oh well, easy for me!

looking forward to some Merlot--wish 4:00 would get here ! BUT--it's 4:00 somewhere, as my father used to say !

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Tulips when I had my house I had a horror of the "green house" across the street that the police knew by heart when I called. Took 2 years and a new owner to get them out. Unless you have lived that nobody understands.. Police being called was the norm. Love the name Kitty! lol! Hey, I named Boo because when he was one of 17 kittens on my neighbors lawn, I called out, who is that yelling? And sure enough, he came running across the street (the only one mind you) and almost got hit by a car! I said "what are you doing Boo??" And the name stuck : ) He was my DD's cat and yet I have him...  : )  I get the food shopping and your DS! When DD told Joe about the large roast I got, 5 pounds, he asked if it was big enough since we bought a 15 pound turkey! lmao! DD, explained to him gently a 5 pound roast for 3 people is huge! Cracked me up : )

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Amber- we are all posting at the same time--I jusr went back and saw your fiscal cliff post. Don't worry about it. DH gets social security disability, cant stand the thought of a cut in that. Yes, you are right- threaten to take it from the ones who need it most.

And don't even get me going on illegal immigrants who get more than any of us ever could----Key word is ILLEGAL--get them out. I read something this morning by George Carlin-not the most intellectual person I would look to for world policies, but he was right on. I am sure it would come up on google if you wanted.  I hope I don't offend, but Pingo is a perfect example of what true immigration should be. Emigrate here, become a citizen, and work hard-no handouts! And look how sucessful she and her DH are! Hard work! What ALL our  grand/ great grandparents did---they were ALL immigrants. All worked hard, and it was a humilation if they had to take anything from anyone. Mine were Irish----no Irish need apply! They shared with those that had nothing, and there was always room for one more!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

OMG---17 Kittens--from one litter?

Sections
Shortcuts