December 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: December 2012

You've planned a really festive holiday season, Hats.  Who are you getting to come to your tree decorating ceremony?  I wouldn't be able to pull my family together to do that - they'd all be too busy, and the teens have no interest.  My youngest son's kids have never decorated a tree, they have someone come in and professionally do it each year - (I keep my mouth shut, to each his own).  For a couple of years when I was having 3 of my friends over for Christmas lunch, we did the tree trimming, but I don't know that they really enjoyed it.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tt, it's so great to see you - yesterday had to have been yucky, but hopefully you're feeling a lot better today for it.

paying to have someone trim the tree?  What can I say.  I'm sure your friends enjoyed decorating with you - I find it hard to imagine anyone wouldn't!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I have invited my bff and her family, including her son who is the same age as the DD and DD's friends to allow her to see them while they are home from school.  Will be easy peasy buffet style and apps I decided.   I have gotten old enough that the lighted tree is enough and if only a few treasured ornaments get on there, so be it.  It's just an excuse to get together and have a talk and a drink before the craziness really starts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You've planned a really festive holiday season, Hats.  Who are you getting to come to your tree decorating ceremony?  I wouldn't be able to pull my family together to do that - they'd all be too busy, and the teens have no interest.  My youngest son's kids have never decorated a tree, they have someone come in and professionally do it each year - (I keep my mouth shut, to each his own).  For a couple of years when I was having 3 of my friends over for Christmas lunch, we did the tree trimming, but I don't know that they really enjoyed it.  

[/QUOTE]

As soon as one of my daughters sw a tree or lights up anywhere, they flew  home to tell their Dad and then up went our tree and all the decorations......trimming the tree was one of their favories....my oldest dughter had a tradition, on Christmas Eve, everyone  would get in their pjs, the carols would start playing, the cocoa would be on the table, and they would all trim the tree....When I was younger (much) there was never any sort of decorations up in our house on Christmas Eve, don't know how my Mom did it, but when I woke up on Christmas our parlor looked like a fairy land, she had decorated and put up the tree, wrapped all the presents and even made clothes and dressed  our dolls we had left sitting in a chair, she grew up in an orphanage so she wanted everything nice for us.

tt sounds like you are well on the road to recovery, keep drinking, try lemon & lime gatorade, very tasty...regular V8 may be too salty for your taste, try the low sodium one.  Prin, by now your test is over, and hopefullly your feeling well enuf to eat a bit of breakfast.  Merry Christmas and a Healthy Happy New Year to all.  ss

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    We have also watched the weather and the airline cancellations. UK son is coming in from PB tonight and TX son and DIL tmw night. I am mostly worried about the TX people. They have a lay over in Chicago, and that always problematic in bad weater. Once, a long time ago, DIL had to spend the night there.
    Princess, you should be done with your test by now. Hope it went well and everything is ok. I agree with others, that your spread, however wonderful it sounds, is a lot of work for you. Cheat some more, and just make one or two items. Re macaroons. I used to make them all the time, when the boys were young. I would whip them up at night, stick them in the oven, turn off the oven and they would be ready the next morning. Easy!
    Are you feeling better this morning, tt? It could very well be your low sodium, that made you feel worse. Try to get those electrolytes in synk again. Did Cheerio get over Harry's visit?
    The rain is coming down heavily here right now. Can hear it drumming on my skylight. I finished most of my grocery shopping, but just made a last list of a few items - like the greens, I still need. Hate to go out in that weather, but I have to.
    UK son asked for tacos tonight, so that is easy. Can make everything ahead of time and it can wait for him for whatever time he comes. I just took the crust for the Frozen Lemonade Pie (remember that one, I posted a picture) out of the oven. Later today, I will do the filling and freeze it away. I am also planning to make the sweet and sour red cabbage today. That keeps well too.
    Have a good day everyone and stay dry.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

ss, your post came up as mine did. Enjoyed your tale of your mom decorating the night before Christmas.
    When our sons were young, we had a similar tradition. The boys would go and buy the fresh tree with dad. We would then store it on our porch until Santa would come and decorate it the night before our Christmas on the 24th. So every morning the boys would run out to check the porch to see if the tree was still there, or if Santa had been here. One Christmas we had a tree, that was much too tall, so DH had to cut off a good two feet of the bottom. The next morning our youngest came back very upset and crying. "Santa took our tree and left us only the stump."
    Oh, those memories!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hope your sons arrive on schedule, Pingo.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yes, that was the nice old tradition that Santa/Sinter Klaus/St Nick/Father Christmas brought the tree and put it up on Christmas Eve.  It must have been so exciting.  I think the Practice of bringing in trees from far afield on trucks (Nova Scotia for this area, western Canada for the west...) and artificial trees put paid to that custom - why wait for Christmas Eve to decorate an artificial one?  Or one that was cut at the beginning of November?  I always feel so sad when I see trees waiting for pickup even before New Year's day. 

Just took a trip to the farm for some brussels sprouts and apples and pears for salads.  Will add nuts and craisins to red leaf lettuce and make my own dressings for the party.  I have saved some canning jars for that....now all I need is more eggs and some more wine.  Can get those when the rain clears.

I am doing some caroling at an assisted living facility tonight.  So glad the cold is gone and my voice is - not good- but at least as good as it can be now.   Pingo, does your family sing together?  Anyone else?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My token Christmas decoration is up - red and green holiday placemats and a red candle on the kitchen table.

Lunch, Winter? Mine was some potato salad, a couple of  ham/cheese roll ups, and a small salad (?) of just chopped lettuce and dressing.  Now if I only had some apple pie - - and chocolate ice cream to go on it - -

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Hi all---Have not been on in a long time--am not caught up at all---computer at home died, and will not be replaced for a while.  Feel funny spending time on line at work, very busy now,but wanted to wish you all a MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Everything fine at this end--DH just had another hospital stay, then cyber knife radiation, and is doing much better!!  I have only read this last page--would take me ages to catch up on the last month.

I LOVE the story of your mother doing all that in one night , SS-even down to making and dressing the dolls.  Sounds like a few of you had Christmas Eve traditions,

I can see from this last page TT is not feeling well--hope you feel better soon! 

Hope all flights arrive Ok for Pingos family.

Sorry so short, but love to you all, and enjoy the time with family.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes, you are so right, Hats. That tradition went puff! with the artificial trees. I stod by my "never to have an artificial tree" many years, but finally lost 1 to 3. They all wanted an artificial tree. The boys wanted one, so we could put it up earlier like their frends. And Dad was quick to agree, so he didn't have to go out in the cold, find a tree, tie it up on the car, cut it to size and hopefully get it to fit in the stand. Then spend an evening to string it and hoping all the lighte were working.
    The one we have now is beautiful, and I must admit it is a lot easier to set up with the lights allready strung. We can also enjoy it more. The tree doesn't come down until after Epiphany.
    Yes we do sing carols. And now with our DIL, who is a wonderful piano player, in the family, we get accompanied with the music. We don't have a piano unfortunately, but our son's keyboard will do. Last year, when we spent Christmas in TX, our son's MIL played the organ (yes, she has an organ at home) and we spent an entire evening singing. It was absolutely wonderful.

tt, your lunch sounds wonderful. Looks like you are up to your "old tricks" again, so you must be feeling a lot better. Have to eat something myself. I had a banana for breakfast and now I am starving reading about your potato salad and roll ups. I have leftover cabbage soup. Will heat that up.

I was hoping for a break in the rain, so I could scoot out, but it doesn't seem to happen. So I will just have to jump out in it. Not happy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Tulip, so nice to see your post. You have been missed. So glad to hear it was only a broken computer, that kept you from posting and that everything is fine with you and your DH.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family, if you celebrate Christmas.
    Please do check in on and off from work. I won't tell your boss.
    Happy Holidays!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yes Tulips, Merry Christmas to you, DH and the rest, so glad you have good news about DH's health - isn't that the best present of all?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tulips, Pingo said what I was thinking so well that all I can say is "Ditto!"  Will look forward to your more regular posting when the computer is replaced.  I like my tablet, by the way.

hats, yes, we sing, too.  I come from a line of first sopranos and am one myself.  My grandmother gave me lessons when I was young; she would have been a professional opera singer had it been a more reputable profession in her day.  My voice sounds so much like hers did when she was younger that for two years after she passed away I couldn't sing without crying...I heard her voice from my childhood so clearly in my own voice.  But, I can mostly do it, again, now, and not tear up. One of my favorite childhood memories is the four generations singing in harmony as dinner was prepared, hymns, mostly.  I was 4 and my great-grandmother was 78.  I was often frustrated because I couldn't hear the harmony and was "stuck" with the melody, lol, but those were more special times than I realized at that age.  Enjoy your caroling - that's great you have your voice back in time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Tulips - so nice to see your post.  Sorry about DH's hosptial stay, but glad he is doing better.

Thanks for all of the well wishes.  Colonoscopy was a piece of cake, as I don't remember a thing!   Last night, not so much, lol.  I am just very weak from fasting for 2 days + last night.  I did, however, get a nice chocolate shake on the way home and it made me feel a bit stronger.  Now I am just soooo thirsty - must be dehydrated, so drining lots of water.

As for Christmas Eve, I do plan on doing a couple of things on Sunday, so that will be good.  I am also doing paper plates, so the clean up will be that much easier.

What a cold/raw day.  Nice day to stay inside!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Nice to see you back home and that all went well, Princess.

Tulips, good to see you posting again.  Sorry your DH had to undergo more surgery, but it sounds as tho he has improved again now.

Heard the mail drop through the slot, hoping there are no more cards from someone I had either forgotten or dropped off my list.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, I had a cheeseburger with pickles, onions, and ketchup. I for one am glad I have an artifical tree. I'm very allergic to pine and it's not worth it to me to deal with allergies along with everything else. We will need to get a new one after the season as we have a couple of sections that the lights aren't working and they can't be fixed. :(

tulips, great to hear from you. Sorry about your DH's hospital stay and about your computer dying.

Prin, nice to hear from you today. Hope you are able to eat something so you can feel like yourself again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, if you need a new tree, the time to buy it is right after Christmas. We changed ours out a couple of years ago. We had shopped around before Christmas, but looking at the prices, decided the old tree could last yet another time. Went to the Christmas store up on route 1 (forgot their name) to get some more icicles for the next year and found the tree we had looked at and loved for 65% off. Needless to say, we got back home with a bit more than icicles.

ETA. I remembered it now. It is called Christmas Eve and is Southbound side of Rt.1

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

That's my plan Pingo, I just have to get DH on board. :) 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I had a chicken sandwich with cranberry on a whole grain bagel!  Yum!  Baked 12 more loaves of bread, made Chop Suey (I already had a hankering and Winter, you sent me over the edge) and now I am getting ready to carol.  Glad to hear that there are others who love singing here.  My mom sang.  Her mom was a concert level pianist.  So there was some talent there but now it's just love.

TT, will be interested to hear if you are feeling stronger after you eat your supper.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yoo Hoo! The sun is out, and the first flight delay is in already. 1 hour's delay. It is snowing like crazy in PB - I am sure there will be further delays.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hats, I think you probably mean "Princess", not me in regards to feeling stronger after eating supper.  Mine will be to heat up some leftover vegetable soup and saltines with butter.  Almost ran out to get my apple pie and choc ice cream, but then I saw S&S had an apple pie listed for $10.  Their apple pies aren't worth that, so decided to have some fruit cocktail instead.  Will have to run out at some point for milk and eggs.

10 loaves of bread?  Are you putting us on?  Who bakes 10 loaves of bread?  Who even has 10 loaf pans?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Tonight my friends and I have our Christmas gathering. There was no way I could make cookies last night, since my son's Christmas Pagaent got us home at 9:00. So I'm going to cut up some cheese and put them out with some crackers. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'll be headed out soon. I probably won't be on this weekend, but I will be here on Monday if anyone is on. If not Merry Christmas everyone!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Cheese and crackers sounds good, Winter.