December 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: December 2012

Too late Kar, they are just about finished roasting but I cut them in half per the recipe so I think they will be all right.

Treetrimming is tonight, yes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tt, so glad you are still off the hook for a gathering, but so happy you're that much better!  Indeed, with poor Lilly sick, that's all you'd need.  I hope you get your mozzarella.

pingo, that flu Christmas sounds abysmal!  At least you had the wherewithal to freeze everything so it could be enjoyed later...when everyone could get dressed!  Hope you are enjoying your family after such a late night of arrivals.

hats, how did the sprouts come out?  I hope they were yummy; I love a good Brussels sprout dish.  

I've not had a very good day.  Woke up with a pounding headache that I still have.  Found out that the downstairs fridge where I put the turkey to thaw two days ago had been turned off.  Didn't know that was even possible.  So, had to count that a loss and to get a fresh turkey since now I don't have time to thaw one. Managed to make garlic mashed potatoes and the butternut squash tonight.  I like both of those reheated, and that leaves pies to be made tomorrow and the stuffing, turkey, and beef to be done Christmas Day.  All the cleaning will be done tomorrow, too, hopefully before BIL gets here.  

My walking friend will be dropping off lenox holiday pattern dinner plates to match my new tablecloth. I got a few pieces this year, but no place settings...too expensive to do all at once.

Going to bed soon - see you tomorrow.  

Good night,

~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good night, Kar. So sorry you had such a bad day. Hope it will better tomorrow.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Kar, turkey disaster stories are so comon - we told ours tonight at our party.   So annoying! but I bet you will love the taste of your fresh turkey.  How many people are you having?

The sprouts came out well, one guest who just had a no-thank you helping said they were surprisingly good.  We won't be home for meals for a couple of days so another set of guests took them home - they loved them!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, ladies!  After a fabulous night's sleep thanks to Advil PM, I awoke refreshed and ready (as I'm gonna be) for the festivities. :)  

I'm actually happy for the turkey debacle, since now I will KNOW the center is defrosted and can better estimate the cooking time.  And, I was able to get a 15 rather than a 22 lber, which since I have a roast big enough for one more person than we have (7) we'll have more than enough.  The turkey is essentially a side dish (imo) to the beef, lol.

So glad the sprouts came out delish even for the person who thought they'd not be so thrilled (love that phrase you used, was it, "no-thank you portion?"  hilarious!).

Off and running.  We're doing presents momentarily so we won't have more of an audience than Gracie.  

I'll be on here and there before tomorrow, but

MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE!!! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just want to get on this morning and wish everyone a "Merry Christmas".  Hope all the planned dinners are as delicious as they sound, and that guests are "merry".

All I plan to do today is make a batch of scones for tomorrow morning.  Cheerio is low on litter and I was going to run out, but decided against it.  I'm sure she can make do til Wednesday.

Enjoy your day, ladies, and your preparations for the big day.

M E R R Y    C H R I S T M A S   ! ! ! !

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. tt, so nice to see a long post from you. Glad you are feeling better. Pingo, glad all your family is home and you are all are busy getting into the holiday spirit. Icer, your sprouts sounds great. I love them, but I'm the only one at home that does, sigh. Kar how many guests are staying over night? Amber, hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your DD and he BF. 

We got our prime rib on Saturday and I just can't wait to get it going. I have a couple of DS' gifts to wrap but I will do those tonight, since he goes to his dad's, but he'll be back with me for lunch/dinner. I'm here until 2 today and then I will go home and make the chicken, ziit, and broccoli and a buffal chicken dip for tonight's festivities. 

MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone if you don't make it on later. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Happy holidays to all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Merry Christmas everyone!! I wish you all much happiness in the coming year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Had a call this morning from G.T., making sure I felt well enough for them to stop by with his MIL on their way to Christmas in the morning.  Perfect.  He wants to bring my stocking so I'll at least have something to open on Christmas Day.  Someone to share my scones, apple crisp, and bread pudding with.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning and MERRY CHRISTMAS and Happy Holidays to all!

Good to hear from you, Amber. I guss no news, or you would have told us. I hope the new year will bring you some.
    tt, I am so happy to hear GT and family will stop by to see you (would they take you along, if you felt up to it?) You will have a nice morning with them; that is good. Being alone on Christmas is so sad.
    A turkey plus a prime rib for 7 people, Kar? DH's family must be big eaters or you will have lots of left overs. Too bad about you turkey mishap. I am glad to hear your headache is gone.
    Hats, I can just imagine you and your friend sharing turkey stories last night. There are plenty of them. While we were still dating, DH had invited several friends for TG, and asked me to cook the turkey - the night before TG mind you. So off we went to the grocery store to pick up a turkey. I had never had turkey, never mind cooking it. Little did I know, it takes 5 days to defrost a frozen turkey. It was a disaster. One of his friends placed the frozen turkey on the table, while we ate the sides. That became the turkey day w/o the turkey. We still joke about it every TG.
    Busy day for me in the kitchen. May not be much on here, but you will all be in my thoughts. Have a merry and blessed Christmas.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yup, they are huge meat eaters.  And, I selfishly wanted leftovers, too, so I won't have to cook much in the next few days since I'll be preparing for Christmas # 2 on the first.

I think every family has a "still frozen turkey" story!  My grandmother has the honors in ours.

I'm really signing off this time - totally stressed at this point thinking about all that needs to be done...

love and holiday warm wishes to all!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Merry Christmas and a Peaceful and Prosperous New Year to you all.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Another call from youngest son who is going to stop by with the kids this afternoon - so a batch of wowie cupcakes in the oven.  Quick and easy, and I'll whip up some frosting and be all set for little fingers.

Merry Christmas all.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Glad you are having a few guests today tt. I'm already thinking about lunch. Looks like I'll be going to Chipotile for a burrioto in a bowl.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

They can't stay away from you TT!  And to hear of you whipping up a batch of cupcakes means you are TT again.

MM and Amber - I hope next year will be better.  BG and MM - so sorry that you can't be with us.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Intown son stopped by with my cheese and said they are planning on stopping by in the morning, maybe with little pumpkin and his mom - I might as well have kept the original plans! He laughed, saying, we'll all be here and there'll be nothing to eat or drink, no tree, no decorations - I told him the baskets are going to have to wait until a Sat when we can all get together and I have had a chance to finish them.  He was here while I was frosting the cupcakes, so sent him home with half a dozen - cherry frosting.  Have any of you tried the frosting flavor paks from Duncan Hines?  They are meant to add to their frosting, but I make my own and then add just a little of the cherry vanilla flavoring - delicious.  You use so little that you get 3-4 uses out of one dollar packet.

Winter, my lunch today was a bulkie with shredded lettuce doused with italian dressing, and ham and cheese plus a ginger ale.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt,your lunch sounds good. I haven't tried the frosting flavor packs, but I may give it a go next time. I'm in the home stretch here, there is an hour left. We are the only company in the building today. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Well winter, hope you get to go home and have a good holiday soon!  It's so beautifully sunny!  Must enjoy it!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday. I will be here on Wednesday, but then will be off Thursday. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Merry Christmas friends!!!  Thinking of you all!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Merry WHITE Christmas!

Had a lovely Christmas Eve. The ducks were the best we ever had. So full of meat and not much fat; they were so tender and juicy. I am going to write a note to the butcher at S&S. Praise has to be given, when they deserve it. I am sure they have a lot of complaints every day.
    I was nice this morning waking up and see the white grounds. Especially as we don't have to go anywhere.
    Hope you all have a wonderful day.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Christmas evening greetings, everyone.  We have an empty house after a disaster of epic proportions...  Gracie jumped on/attacked dh's eldest brother's elderly dog (dumb mistakes were made that set the situation up), and now he's at Tufts with signs of major problems.  I'm fearing he'll have to be put down.  Ironically, it was the best dinner I'd ever cooked.  Sent half of it home with their nephew who stayed with his own car.  So, everyone is gone, I was just finally able to eat something after crying all afternoon, Gracie is none the wiser, and we're heartsick...

So, hoping you all had much merrier Christmases than we did.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

merry christmas

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Kar - I'm so sorry of your ordeal with the dogs.  I know sometimes it just comes out of nowhere.

Christmas Eve turned out very nice.  I was so exhausted, but still glad that we had everyone over.  It was nice to spend the time with the family.  Yesterday we went to my brother's then my BIL's.

Not sure what's up for today.  Not going near any stores though!