December 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: December 2012

Kar, so sorry that your Christmas into which you put so much effort has been touched by tragedy.   You must feel devastated because we know that you would not have had it happen for the world.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Kar, so sorry about the accident with the dogs. What a terrible ordeal to have to go through.

We had a great Christmas, the prime rib came out fantastic. I got the latest iPad and I'm thrilled (not the mini). I haven't gotten to play with it yet, but maybe on my day off tomorrow. We saw Les Miserables last night. Anne Hathaway is fantastic in it. For those that have seen the play, some stuff was changed and the men are just ok but the women are great. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Terrible accident with the dogs, Kargiver.  We just have to remember that they are animals and act out of animal instinct sometimes.

Everyone except oldest son and fam were down in the a.m.  Pumpkin and his mom were absent too, they being pulled in 10 different directions.  She knew I would understand.  I was exhausted.  Did do my kielbasa and deviled some eggs, and a double batch of scones, cupcakes, bread pudding and apple crisp, plus a dish of fresh strawberries.  It was the noise and all the conversations going on that wore me out.  They all came in with multiple presents, wanting me to open them right then and there.  They were only here an hour and a half before each family left for wherever they were having their dinner, and truthfully, I was glad it wasn't a longer visit.

Sounds like a nice holiday, Winter, with Les Miserables added.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, sounds like you had a busy Christmas morning. Your food spread sounds delicious. How are you feeling today. I'm sure after the holidays pumpkin and his mom will have a lovely visit with you. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, my heart aches with yours. What a terrible accident to happen. You must not blame yourself; no matter how well trained dogs are, they are still animals. The older dog could have incited Gracie in some way; no one will ever know, what made her attack the dog. How is he doing?

Looks like you had your Christmas party after all, tt. And amazing are you, to be able to still serve everyone well with such a short notice.
    Santa was very good to you, Winter. Enjoy your iPad. Maybe now with the larger screen you can join us again at Loseit! Nice holiday, you had with going to a show as well. Didn't you see Les Miserables a little while ago?
    Glad your Christmas party went well, princess. I can just imagine how exhaused you must have been afterwards. It is a big undertaking for someone, who recently has been so ill.

We had a lovely Christmas Eve, and yesterday couldn't have been more lazy. Smorgas board was enjoyed by all, and the 5 of us spend really quality time together. Normally I would have DH's family over Christmas day, but his sister is out of town this year, so we let it slide by. They will all be coming this Saturday, and I told DH, this is what it is going to be in the future. Christmas for us and family the weekend after. They don't celebrate Christmas, and are so difficult to cook for. Besides, I can't do two Christmas' back to back anymore. DH agreed; he had such a good time playing cards and boardgames with the "kids" yesterday.
    Santa was good to me too. The boys gave me the Eliptical (hint, hint), but I have to take part in selecting one. There are so many different ones, and they want me to have one, I am comfortable with. So that is what we are going to do this week.
    Going to work today for a little while. I have payroll to do this week. Want to get it over with.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo, the Les Miserables we saw was the movie version that opened yesterday. DH and I have each seen it on the stage several times. They have changed some things in the movie, though. Sounds like Santa was very good to you as well and that you had a cwonderful Christmas. How long are the boys with you? Not sure I'll be back to lose it. I don't and will never measure my food, I just don't have that kind of time. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thank you for all your warm kindness re the dogs...we're just sick this morning waiting for the update.  I hope they call soon.

Princess, so pleased you made it and were able to enjoy Christmas.  I worried for all you were planning!

winter, I love our ipad and know you will, too, YAY!!!  Beware autocorrect on bdc, though...if you backspace and correct your typing, watch out.  Oh, and I appreciate the heads up about the mediocre mens' performances in Les Mis.  How could they allow Jean Valjean to be less than spectacular?  The storyline itself isn't that rivieting imo, it's the raw emotion in the acting that makes it great.  Good to know.

Tt, like princess, you outdid yourself especially for not feeling up to par.  I have to admit if I had been not well we'd have gone the all-frozen app route.  An hour and a half is more than plenty of commotion even when you're feeling great!  But, a week ago you wondered if even a minute would be possible so it's great to see you so far ahead of that.  

Looking forward to more Christmas tales of our other Chatters.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar, it was still good, but Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe are not broadway caliber singers. Anne Hathaway and Amanda Syfield were excellent. Anne's portrayal of Fontaine was fantastic. The Epionne was also a former Epionne on Broadway so she was great. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I am shocked that you didn't think Jackman was good.  He played Curley in Oklahoma and Peter Allen in the Boy from Oz and is a Tony winner who had his own one-man show on Broadway so everyone expected great things.  Anne H no surprise, she went to Vassar :) so one would expect her to play great literary characters well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Too bad they couldn't have gotten the two leading men from Broadway, but they are decent actors so I'm sure I'd agree with your review and enjoy it, too.  Going in knowing what to expect raises the enjoyment factor for me, too.

still haven't heard a thing about their dog's condition.  Texted their daughter - nothing.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hats, you'll need to see it. He might have won a Tony, but he is no Broadway Jean Val Jean. My expectations were very high for "Bring Him Home". It movie was good, but the women hit the homerun with this one. Jackman was ok, but not great.

I guess what they did, not common in movies is they sang while they acted (like a stage performance) instead of the usual lip synching and having a recording of the song to go with it. That's why Anne Hathaway's performance was so moving. She actually had all her hair cut off during the scene, she said she wanted to experience it, so she had ONE take and it worked. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Looks like his back is broken, the neurologist is seeing him soon.  looks very bad, obviously.  Things will never be the same.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar, what did the dog do to get to Gracie? I'm sorry for the seriousness of the injury. How is your DH handling it?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

There's no way what Gracie did would have caused a healthy dog to be injured like that, but it's no consolation to anyone.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

They put his food out, and there was a tussle.  If I'd known she was out there I'd have brought her in.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

They should have let you or your DH know they were feeding the dog. Any animal is going to want more food. It's such a sad thing, Gracie is such a sweet dog. How old is their dog? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

If an accident happens on your property it is best to consult with a lawyer,  there are liabilitiy issues....the same as if someone slipped in your driveway and injured themselves.

Best of luck to all involved.  Excuse me if I'm not welcome here, but I thought my info was important to add.

http://dogbitelaw.com/

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, I understand.  They'd be hard pressed to sue us, though, since we're paying for everything off the bat.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, yes, I think it was foreseeable that there might be a skirmish...but that's how accidents happen, the foreseeable isn't foreseen.  Their dog is 13.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Totally random lurker here, I usually read just the parenting boards and am not caught up at all, but as an attorney have to point out that a dog biting another dog is not the same liability wise as a person slipping and falling on your property.  A dog biting another dog is covered under Massachusetts General Laws chapter 140, sec. 157.  As much as we all think our dogs are members of our families (myself included!!), for purposes of liability law, they are definitely not considered people. 

Kar, sorry to hear that such a terrible accident occurred on Christmas.  I hope all people involved realize it was a freak accident and nobody is placing blame.  I think it's very nice you are footing the vet bill.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

A police officer told me to have a Beware of Dog sign on my property to show that I have warned others of possible danger should they choose to enter my yard without invitation, regardless of how benign my dogs may appear.    Home owners insurance policies often advise the same thing.

Doesn't have to be a big sign, just in a visible location.

PS: I don't agree with the previous post.  In my opinion it is best to identify what your responsibilities are early on and not be ruled by emotion.   After all, the dog may require years of maintenance care,  best to sort out your legal obligations sooner than later. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Rama, thanks so much for dropping in and sharing your warm thoughts for us.  I'm sure blame will be part of their grieving process, but hopefully will fade and not impact the relationships long term.  We absolutely have no qualms about paying even though it was, of course, an accident.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Robin, posting such a sign on your property is definitely a good idea if you have a dog prone to attacks, and it does protect against liability for a dog attacking a human being. (Mass. Gen. laws c. 140 Sec. 155). 

In Kar's case, her dog attacked another dog.  It's different than a dog attacking a human or destroying property because dogs are not treated the same as people for purposes of homeowner liability.  

ETA: I have no idea if the lawyer featured in the website that Robin linked to is even a member of the Massachusetts bar/licensed to practice in Massachusetts. If he is not, then the entire website is moot because this is an issue is govered by state law and will differ from state to state. However, I wanted to point out that the website clearly refers to dogs biting people, not dogs biting other dogs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Kargiver, so sorry to read of the seriousness of the dog's injury.  How terrible for all of you.  Of course, you being the responsible dog owner you are, you would pay for the expenses.  So would I.  Because of the dog's age, and depending on her general health, is there a possibility they may put her down?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

If the party of the injured dog wanted to, they could report the incident to the police dept. in the town where the accident happened, animal control would be notified to do an investigation.

PS: Not everyone wants to put an old dog down, there are treatments available now to keep an animal comfortable and many people choose that option even though it may seem costly.