December 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: December 2012

Kar, I hope no one puts blame on you or Gracie. Frankly, I'm surprised that someone wanted to bring their dog to a home with a dog in the first place. I know people do this and I'm sure they checked with you. But I would refuse if anyone asked me to bring their pet over, and this is before I had Yoda. 

You and your DH are very good pet owners for paying for all the care of the dog.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Could we all try to be positive here and not predict gloom and doom and legal action to someone who is greiving and having their holiday ruined by tragedy????

IT'S CHRISTMAS AND MANY BAD THINGS HAVE HAPPENED.   LET'S THINK AND ACT
    POSITIVE FOR A CHANGE!  LET'S TRY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.  MY PERSONAL TRIBUTE
    TO THE POOR PEOPLE KILLED IN CT IS TO TRY TO DO ONE KIND ACT FOR EACH OF THE CHILDREN AND TEACHERS.  KAR I WILL DO ONE MORE FOR YOU TO TRY TO COUNTERACT ROBIN'S BAD THOUGHTS.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Bad thoughts?   I am looking after the interests of the homeowner who wants to to the right thing, this is not an emotional feel good issue, it's about an unfortunate accident that happened on someones property.

If it happened to me I would contact a lawyer and have him negotiate a settlement with the victim asap...this would be to protect myself and the injured party.  I would not leave it open ended.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Robin, any time you enter in a posting discussion, conflict seems to follow.  I wasn't suggesting they put the dog down, I was merely asking what the vet had recommended.  My gawd, I'm off the thread.  Pardon me for voicing my thoughts.  I'll take myself and start a puzzle I got in my stocking.  One with enough goldfinches sitting on a fence, to drive me crazy.  Would rather go insane by means of a puzzle than a Chat thread.  I'll check in tomorrow and see who's on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, tt, there is.

I should have said we had a wonderful Christmas.  Sorry, everyone.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I just popped on here and seen the unfortunate accident Kar... I also don't understand why the dog was brought to your house but that is beside the point. I know when Amber was older, her patience level was very small. I am sure it was a fight over food. Older dogs are usually arthritic so that probably explains the broken back. The bones are more fragile. If you already offered to pay the vet bill then that would be nice, but if it becomes something ridiculous, then I would consult an attorney. Everyone is always apologetic in the beginning, but when money comes into play, it all changes. That is if it is a dog or a loved one. Trust me.. been there..  I don't think Robin was offensive at all and trying to be helpful. But you must have Gracie on your homeowners insurance? I know I had to have Amber on mine when I owned my house. I would consult with them first to see what steps are needed. They may pay the vet bill. That is why we have insurance right? I had a wonderful Christmas with DD and BF and friends that stopped over later. Stop & Shop cut a 5 pound roast for me and it was delicious! Gravy came out perfect as I always worry about that. I received a card last week from a secret Santa with a $100 bill in it for me. I was in tears about it.. renewed my faith in people. I am a very prideful person, so never expected that. Happy to see you better tt : )  I did get a call on the job and unfortunately someone internal applied and got it. So frustrating... she mentioned me interviewing for the job that the internal person got and told her I would love to do that, but nothing else so far.. Just plugging away.. will try to check in more often as I miss you all! Just want to get my life back on track again first..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I think this is a matter of personal opinion. I agree tt you did not say that, but Robin read it differently. I hate you would not post because of it. Just a disagreement. I personally would put my dog down at that age if it had a broken back. The pain is awful and the dog cannot recover as well as a young dog. I believe in quality of life and not quanity. But again, that is my opinon and will respect a different one. Going through so much this year has made me realize to not sweat the small stuff.. life is short, so enjoy... : ) Happy New Year everyone!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Thanks Amber, hope you had a nice Christmas.

The home owners insurance thing is tricky, from what I understand you want to avoid putting in a claim if you can,  as they will raise your insurance and in some cases terminate you! I don't understand it but my real estate guy also frowns upon filing claims...

A friend of mine had a condo that had extreme plumbing problems... no fault of hers, she paid for insurance for decades with no claims, well the place was flooded and needed massive renovation so she filed a claim and they paid it and then cut her off!  She had to find a new insurance company!

So I think it is sometimes worth paying a lawyer for an hour of their time before deciding how to proceed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

That's terrible Robin. One of the many things wrong today. I still think Kar should check with her agent first. We pay a lot in house insurance and if they make you put your dog on it, then they should cover it! Ugh...  I am hoping Kar your family won't pursue this as it can ruin a good relationship. It was an accident between 2 dogs, being dogs.. My heart goes out to you...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Often people don't have a dog at the time they obtain home owners insurance.

Are we supposed to notify them when we add a pet to our household?   Maybe one of our lurking lawyers could tell us?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Amber, nice to hear from you. Sorry you didn't get the job, but glad you had a wonderful Christmas. That's great that you have a Secret Santa. I don't think I live that far from you, I should give you  my email, in case you ever need anything. 

tt, I hope you come back today. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, I honestly don't think Robin meant to make things worse. Just something to think about in this sue-happy world.
    It is very honorable of the Kargivers to pay for everything, but I don't think it is fair. The dog owner should have thought twice, before offering the food. It is an accident, that could have been prevented. But whatever or whoever is to blame, it does not make the dog well. Lets pray and hope, that for everyone's sake, he will recover. 
    I am with Winter, no one should bring a dog to someone elses home - especially, when there are another dog, who has already set the boudaries. If someone does, he or she should take all the responsibilities for whatever happens, while visiting. I am a dog lover, but I have in the past stopped dogs from coming into my home, when friends or family brought them. I would rather play with them in their own home.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Robin, my best friends Uncle handled all my insurance and he alerted me when I got Amber that I needed to add her. I remember him telling me I didn't have to but if Amber bit a child etc. then I could get sued but my insurance would cover it. But he did say if I had a pit bull, German Shepard etc. (known biters) then legally I have to put them on my insurance and I could get my insurance cancelled if they found out. That was many years ago so not sure if rules still apply? Winter, you are one of the most sweetest people on here and def one of my favorites : )  Your offer brought tears to my eyes and trust me, my eyes have been crying this Christmas! But I am good but I am just so touched....  I hope tt comes back too.. I missed her.. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Pingo, so glad I am not alone in that thought. I don't think Robin was being offensive at all and I agree with the sue happy people. I do think Kar should think twice before paying that bill and consulting her insurance and an attorney is good advice from all. If you guys remember Shadow, my neighbors dog who bit me but now loves me. I NEVER allowed him in my house. He was good with Amber, but I didn't trust him with my cats. He still comes to visit but never inside. His owner understands. It was an accident. Just that. Kar learned a valuable lesson about not letting other peoples dogs in her house. But this was not her fault. She was being accomodating and to me THEY took that risk. Just a sad situation alll around...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Awe thanks Amber. :) When we bought our house with in-ground pool, we were told by the agent that having a pool on the insurance was much cheaper then having a dog. Even with our diving board. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Last comment. Dogs are territorial as well as cats. Period. Any animal owner should know that.

And why do we think dogs will like each other?? We don't like everyone we meet! I personally would never and have never brought a full grown adult dog or cat in my house. Because of territory issues. If you have an adult pet, bring in a puppy or kitten. They handle that far better and end up mothering them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

They don't charge extra (homeowners insurance) to have a dog, unless you have an aggressive breed or have had complaints filed against you.

Tip:  Separate your dog by putting him a gated room or take  him out to the car when you have repair men or company over.  Not everyone likes dogs and cats.  Some friends of mine allow their cats to sit on their dining room table, I will not eat at that table!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

That's true Robin but I guess the rub is if you don't put them on your policy. I was told if she was not on my policy and something happened, they would not pay. I also heard a lot of people with aggressive dogs, don't put them on the policy because a lot of insurance companies will cancel the policy knowing that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Winter, I was not charged extra for having Amber on my policy. Not sure why your agent told you that unless it has changed? I am talking about 15 years ago... Yikes!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Amber, I believe the charge would have been an agressive dog. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I so agree with that Robin! I always held Amber when delivery men came in my house and once they petted her and she smelled them she was good. She was never an aggressive dog and was actually a sweetheart, but dogs are dogs. With children, same thing. I would hold her and let them pet her. Never wanted to take that channce. My cats know not to get on my table, but to be honest, cats are little shiats. I have come home many times to find Tigger especially, on my kitchen table. He runs when he sees me so I know he gets he shouldn't be doing that. But I am very clean, so I wipe down my table every day : )

In response to Robin39's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They don't charge extra (homeowners insurance) to have a dog, unless you have an aggressive breed or have had complaints filed against you.

Tip:  Separate your dog by putting him a gated room or take  him out to the car when you have repair men or company over.  Not everyone likes dogs or cats.  Some friends of mine allow their cats to sit on their dining room table, I will not eat in their home.

[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

That makes sense Winter and therein lies the problem. When I or my grandchild or dog gets mauled, the irresponsible dog owners make you take them to court to recover your bills. If you take the responsibility for these breeds, then be responsible. Put them on your insurance no matter what it cost. But on the other side of that, is insurance companies don't want the liability, so won't insure them. Such a catch 22...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Amber, I don't let Yoda on my table either but we not home between 7:30 and 5:30, so who knows what he does. So I wipe down the table before meals or using the table. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Trust me Winter, he is : ) lol!! Being unemployeed really got my eyes open to what they do. Sleep 90%, eat 5%, create havoc?? The rest of the 5%! lol! I'm sure they hate me home as they have not dared to go on my table or counters since getting repremanded a million times!  : )

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Okay, maybe I exaggerated, if I was hungry enough I would probably eat off of the table in question,  I'm just saying you have to understand that some people think of these things and it's kind of a turnoff.

Sections
Shortcuts