December 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: December 2012

The fiscal cliff is going to hurt all of us. Looks like I'm going to have to be more creative in things, I'm making steak and cheer subs for dinner, not yet though, maybe during half time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Oh my God Tulips... are you on my Facebook? That was just posted and shared on mine today! I am going to copy and paste it below. You are so rght about the immigrants. Mine came from "Irish need not apply" era. You had to have a sponser, place to live and a job. Unlke today where they get a packet on how to apply for government assistance. Shame on this government...

SOMETHING TO PONDER: George Carlin

George Carlin's wife died early in 2008 and George followed her, dying in July 2008. It is ironic George Carlin - comedian o ... f the 70's and 80's - could write something so very eloquent and so very appropriate. An observation by George Carlin:

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider Freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete.

Remember to spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember, to say, 'I love you' to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.

Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin
    See More

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Oh Winter! I want one! I may have to do a delivery now for one.... : )

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

HAHA Amber--yes, I am on facebook, but this was not the one I meant, and it was not George Carlin--it was Robin Williams--MY ERROR!  I have seen the George Carlin one before , too, but never the RW one.  Here it is below--if anyone thinks this should not be here, let me know, and I think I can delete it-I dont mean to offend anyone, or get on a soapbox, but am worked up today about it. And you are right-SHAME ON this government!

""

You gotta love Robin Williams........Even if he's nuts! Leave it to him to come up with the perfect plan. What we need now is for our UN Ambassador to stand up and repeat this message.
    Robin Williams' plan...(Hard to argue with this logic!)

'I see a lot of people yelling for peace but I have not heard of a plan for peace. So, here's one plan.'

1) 'The US, UK , CANADA and AUSTRALIA will apologize...
    to the world for our 'interference' in their affairs, past & present. You know, Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Tojo, Noriega, Milosevic, Hussein, and the rest of those 'good 'ole' boys', we will never 'interfere' again.

2) We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with Germany , South Korea , the Middle East , and the Philippines . They don't want us there. We will station troops at our borders. No one allowed sneaking through holes in the fence.

3) All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of whom or where they are from. They're illegal!!! France will welcome them.

4) All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit!!!! No one from a terrorist nation will be allowed in. If you don't like it there, change it yourself and don't hide here. Asylum would never be available to anyone. We don't need any more cab drivers or 7-11 cashiers.

5) No foreign 'students' over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don't attend classes, they get a 'D' and it's back home baby.

6) The US, UK , CANADA and AUSTRALIA will make a strong effort to become self-sufficient energy wise. This will include developing nonpolluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while.

7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go someplace else. They can go somewhere else to sell their production. (About a week of the wells filling up the storage sites would be enough.)

8) If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not 'interfere.' They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need. Besides most of what we give them is stolen or given to the army. The people who need it most get very little, if anything.

9) Ship the UN Headquarters to an isolated island someplace. We don't need the spies and their fair weather friends here. Besides, the building would make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.

10) All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us 'Ugly Americans' any longer. The Language we speak is ENGLISH..learn it..or LEAVE...Now, isn't that a winner of a plan?
    'The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying 'Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses.' She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, 'you want a piece of me?'

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

There is no sense worrying about the fiscal cliff - nothing any of us can do about it.  If it happens, we will manage somehow, we always do.  Ways are provided.

Wish I had something to make a sandwich of tonight.  Just cheese and I don't feel like that.  Had a nice full lunch with the ham heated in o.j., baked potato, fresh carrots, milk, salad.  Could get away with just cereal, but my mouth wants a nice thick sandwich.  Lettuce and tomato won't do it either.  A lot of things don't taste good to me since this virus, had mac and cheese last night and threw the rest out.  Granted it was Kraft out of a box, but still, I used to like that.  Sent the lasagna home with son because even tho I enjoyed it, the parmesan tasted way too strong to me.  I do think it's my taste buds that have been damaged.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Yes, TT-you are right-nothing we can do about it. I wish I could send you a nice big sandwich!

Do you have any tuna on hand?  Egg salad on toast?

Nothing better sometimes, than good old Kraft mac and cheese, and a cold glass of milk.

That is a good idea to reheat the ham in OJ--going to remember that.  We have bought a lot of ham the last two-three years. DH tastebuds changed after his stroke it seemed. He never wanted ham, and I always did, and only got it once a year on Christmas! Now he always wants ham.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Sorry Amber that you want a steak and cheese. We bought the fixingwho make them when we went shopping earlier. Think I may head to Dress Barn, I got a gift card for Christmas. Went to kohls early and got winter boots using a gift card and some Kohl's cash.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I do have tuna, but have decided to reheat the remainder of some Campbell's home style chicken noodle soup, and have with buttered saltines.  Tuna seems to be off my radar lately too.  May run down the deli tomorrow and pick up some more of their delicious thin sliced roast beef.

"No Irish Need Apply" I have that sign hanging in my kitchen.  G.T. found it in a NH antique shop - Boston Sign Company  Sept. 11, 1915.  He matted and framed it for me, just to show how far we Irish have come, particularly in the city of Boston.  Everyone who comes into my kitchen for the first time comments on it and asks why if I'm Irish I have that hanging.  That's why, sort of a "haha.  Look at us now!"

P.S.  With your husband craving ham, I'll bet he's needing the salt.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I just orderd a steak and cheese with Jalapeno poppers : ) Splurging tonight. I am happy you are ok with the loss of money in your check tt. Wish I had the luxury of being retired and taking a hit. Unfortunately, the loss of unemployment checks like myself and 2 million other people, means many people will end up homeless. But why worry about it right? I am out of here. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That was a nasty post, Amber.  I can no more afford to "take a hit" than the next person.  I live very close to the bone, but complaining and worrying about it doesn't make it better, just puts us further in the doldrums.  Goodnight to you.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Oh Amber, I know TT did not mean it that way-she would never say anything to hurt you. And of course, she does not want to take a hit, either-no one does. I agree you are in a much more precarious position than the rest of us, and we all want the best for you. My grandmother always said, things have a way of working out, and I know that is what TT meant- that you will be OK--something will come through. And it aint over until it's over--please God they will work it out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

It was not the least bit nasty tt. It was real. Which is something you don't want to hear about. But I def get the impression if anyone "complains or worries" about anything serious, you don't want to hear it. This has become a "only if you feel ok in life" can you post. I am done here and won't be back. I need real life and real friends.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Oh please don't fight.   I think TT was thinking that God will provide.  Some of us worry some of us don't we all think and feel differently.  And we can do something about it - email the president, vp, your senators and representative and the Speaker of the House.  Google their addresses and let them know how you feel.

Beth from Little Women used to say "Birds in their little nests agree."  I always interpreted it as meaning 'if they can, we who have so much more, should too."

It's still Christmas - I have 2 more parties to get through. Today's was nice and the food (altho I do say so myself) was good.   I am listening to the Boston Pops playing their Christmas arrangements. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Yes, Hats-thank you- I think that is exactly what TT meant.  I know she did not mean to hurt Amber. Some people are more sensitive than others-that is not a bad thing- just sayin! Especially where Amber is so worried and vulnerable now- who could blame her for being so worried-I would be too. She is her own sole support, and this must be terrifying for her.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I don't think anyone meant to hurt anyone. Amber you and such bring such love, understanding, and wisdom to the boards. Neither of you can leave. Please don't.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

wow

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I have no intention of leaving, Winter.  There was no need for the sniping remarks made by Amber to me, and while I grant her some leeway because I know how worried she is, it doesn't give her the OK to lash out at me, who has been one of her staunchest supporters.

I have nothing more to say on the subject, and nothing to say to Amber.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

How was your dinner? The steak and cheese with onions was very good. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

What can you say about soup and saltines?  Tasted good with a glass of milk.  I'm definitely thinking beef tho.  I know son was cooking a roast beef today, so maybe tomorrow I'll get a slice or 2 delivered (?).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hopefully you get that delivery. I got some peanut brittle from a vendor at work and it's so good.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OMG, just checked in before I am going to have a good time with my family. They are planning to play Rummycube and then Quercle. Fun games both.
    What happened here? tt and Amber, best friends are having a quarrel?
    Amber, I do understand you are worried. Anyone in your position would be, and therefore you may be more sensitive than the rest of us. However, poor tt - was not at all offensive. She just said what she felt, and truly, I feel the same way. When we have to, we - even you - will get through it.
    When DH started out on his own, I was scared to death. No more paycheck coming to the house, and we had a 3 year old and a baby. What did I do? I put in an ad for daytime babysitting. I had two toddlers coming. One from 7 am to 7 pm every day; the other from 7 am to 1 pm 3 times a week. Was I happy about it? No, I wasn't. But the fees I received, paid for our mortgage. There is always a way, and I believe that is what tt meant.
    I don't want to offend you, Amber. But there are other ways to live, than from a paycheck. Are you good at crafting? Can you make some special food? Or maybe you could open your home, just like I did. Even be a caretaker for a person, that needs it.
    We just can't have you and tt not getting along here. Blessing!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I will be at work tomorrow so I'll be on to chat. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Sitting here in the mornings I see the bright moon against the dark sky.  As it sets, it moves from tree to tree, now seen clearly between them, now behind, dark branches tracing patterns on its face.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, Hats

I'm up not that much later than you posted, but looking out this window, I don't see a moon, but  pink clouds and a brightness where the sun is going to rise over a house diagonally across from me.   --  "Red at night, sailors delight, red at morn, sailors take warn."  Everything looks frozen, including my car.  Never did get the door open yesterday and get in to start it.  Should have asked my son to when he stopped by, but he does so much, I try not to add even a small request.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good Morning Everyone.  Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy and HEALTHY New Year!  Not sure what our plans are for tonight, most likely staying in and playing cards or something.  May get some Chinese food too!

Sections
Shortcuts