December 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: December 2012

Hats, I feel kind of accomplishment too. The tree is up and I finished all my Christmas cards. Such a nice feeling. I had Christmas music playing and finished them with a glass of wine (well two), while DH and DS went to see Skyfall - they said it was not a movie for me.
    DH's new iPad got "fixed" - the cable that came with it was broken, so they just gave him a new cable. Now all is well.
    DS sent a picture of our tree to TX son: "Getting into the Christmas Spirit". Got an e-mail right back. "Excited. Can't wait to come."
    All the presents are bought. Now I just have to wrap them all and put them under the tree. UK son gave us an excellent idea for the "big" present to TX son. I feel, I am so well ahead this year, that it kind of scares me. Hope nothing bad happens btw. now and Christmas.
    What kind of bread did you make? That is one thing, I still have to do, but I have plenty of time for it now. I am thinking of making Cranberry Pecan Breads and Mint Choc Bark for the children.
    Time to find the pillow. DS is leaving for Pittsburgh with the first flight out tmw. morning. It has been such a great weekend. I will cherish it for a long time to come.
    Nighty night.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Great to hear about your cherishable weekend, Pingo.  I made date breads.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Pingo, your weekend sounded so wonderful : ) I am waiting for 2 gifts to come and I am done with my Christmas shopping. I do it online every year since I hate the malls. tt, I hope the doctor appointment goes well and he can give you something to make you feel better... can't wait to see you on here again...  nothing planned for today. Hoping to hear about the job but won't be super surprised if I don't. Companies move very slow today. In the meantime, I will be checking the job boards. I was up early today, so shower is out of the way and doing laundry. Have a great day everyone!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    So DS is on his way to PB. This morning it was not as painful as usual. He will be back in two weeks. Yea!
    Amber, I hope this is the day. Try to keep yourself busy and do not hover over the phone or your e-mail. Take a walk. It is going to be nice and warm today. And as usual, I am crossing my fingers.
    Hope we hear from tt too after she has seen the doc. Hopefully he can do something for her to make her feel better. It's lousy to be sick this time of the year. Whatever one catches is more difficult to shake off.
    Have to run up to Costco this morning. Peter called to tell me my B12, which was not available, has finally come in. I do feel I am overdue and need it. Will go from there to my doc and have them inject it. Then off to the office. Took it easy, while son was here, so I know, there will be a huge pile for me. Have a good day. Try to enjoy the warm weather. We don't know, how long it will last.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Amber, we posted at the same time. I did the majority of my shopping on the net too. Amazon's Prime is terrific. Free shipping and returns. We have Amazon.UK Prime too. No germs here, except your own. LOL
    Will be thinking of you today.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I'm hoping it will get warm enough so I can do some spray painting of craft elements outside - 50 degrees is  the lower limit for good drying....and I have "town errands" such as Library and PO too.  Have to mail some presents.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. tt, glad to finally here from you, but sorry you are still sick. I hope the doctor can fit you in today. I hope Cheerio is keeping you company. 

Princess, so sorry about your recent hospital stay. I hope the doctors figure out what it is that is causing this. Hope you get some family help if you are doing Christmas. 

Amber, hope you hear about the job today. I'll be thinking about you. 

Pingo, what a great weekend with your DS. How come he didn't wait for Christmas to give your DH the iPad?? 

Hats, sounds like you had a busy baking weekend. I need to do that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, it was a birthday gift. DH's 70th birthday was Saturday. That's why DS was here for the weekend, or he would have gone straight to Pittsburgh from UK - then come for Christmas.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh that's right I forgot about that. You have a wonderful son Pingo. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

70 is quite a milestone Pingo - have you and DH no thoughts of retiring and sitting in the sunshine?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Not at all, Hats. It is the furthest from his mind, as long as he is able to work. He thrives in the hustle-bustle. I would love to retire and move to TX, where our other son is. But that is not in the near future.
    Everytime we go on vacation, he brings work with him and is "done" in 4 days and wants to get back. I am ready to drop his iPhone in the ocean. LOL
    But the funny part is, he is not a high strung person at all. He is so well balanced, it is not even funny. That sometimes drives me crazy too. If he is in the process of doing something, he will do it no matter, how many people are waiting for him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Well Pingo I hope you both continue to be healthy and able to work since it looks as if a rest is not on the docket!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hope Amber has received good news today. I'll be headed out at 4:30, so I hope everyone has a nice night. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Amber, Amber, Amber - so waiting to hear from you.

And tt, you too. Did you get to see the doc today?

And where have you been today, Kar? Gracie had another accident, or is your migraine taking over. Not sure which ever is worse.

Just hope you all are well.

Just cooked my most favorite vegetable. The celery root. Cut it in large dice and steamed it. DH will have it w/ chicken meatballs and Lingonberry Jam. I will have the cabbage soup with the celery root added to it. It is an ugly looking vegetable, but the taste is wonderful. I miss it and pick it up, whenever I see it. It is supposed to very good for your kidneys.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning,

Pingo, thanks for asking about me, and sorry for the concern.  I've been OK but am preparing for having my cousin here tonight through the rest of the week (possibly Saturday morning) and felt like I couldn't give everyone's goings on their due.  Still can't, but didn't want you to worry.  Enjoy your family!!  Meals sound fabulous - you spoil everyone. :)

Got the tree up (finally!) afterr taking Gracie to Klem's for on-sale gorgeous red garland, 3 strands, enough to do the tree without skimping and rearranging 15 times.  Looks lovely against the green, and the white snowflakes I crocheted fit perfectly.  I NEED to make MORE this year.  I know, you've heard that song and dance for years, now, lol.

Hats, I heard on Fox this morning a report that said their is a scientific reason behind your hot toddy remedy for colds and flu.  Not only do you get the steam (the only real medicinal ingredient in the non-alcoholic version) but you also get a vasodilation effect of the alcohol which makes it easier to breath and helps to prevent a tight clogging of airways.  

Ambergirl, I cannot believe your friend didn't get back to you; I understand the climate is different today, but you'd think her history with you would prompt her to keep the word of "Friday or Monday."  I hope you find out today...this morning!

I've cranked out all I can based on the mediocre job I did reading posts.  Could type more as I dragged out the wireless keyboard.  I get along OK with the iPad one, but I can't really type well onn it, and BDC's autocorrect realllllly annoys me when I make a mistake.

I've got TONS to do today!  Need to go to a grocery store 25 minutes away since the local yocal one doesn't have what I want.  I baked a spaghetti squash last night so will break open a jar of sauce and embellish that for dinner along with Brussels sprouts.  Will make a batch of butternut/turkey soup (DH decided he wants turkey, not chicken thighs) and bake some potatoes for homefries/breakfasts.  That should take care of dinner and a couple of lunches for the 3 of us. Plus, all the clenaing.  And, Gracie needs to be walked...not to mention me so I can eat.  I'm still hovering right around a pound to go.

Gotta get going before I need to go to the Amtrak station and pick up Chris.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ack, I still don't have the ability to ETA, but, of course, tt, you are in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery and return.

Nov, I can just imagine your LO tossing the ornament...so cute!

Princess, Tulips, mm, bg, we are thinking of you, too...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

And Obbie too, as well as MM and Tulips and Beast's Girl.

ETA I am glad to know why the hot toddies work so well.  I also make with a lot of lemon juice so there's some Vitamin C as well....good to have it whether or not it has any vital properties for colds, it is vital for life.  And more fun than a pill.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Isn't it nice to have research validate your traditional remedies, especially one as fun and tasty as that?!  :) 

I'm so overwhelmed with what has to get done today I'm still sitting here in my PJs in a daze.  Must make the coffee, get a little fire going to take the chill off, get in the shower, and GET GOING!

Have a great day, everyone!

~kar

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Kar, enjoy your visit with your cousin. tt, hope you went to the doctor and you are on the mend. Amber, we are WAITING to hear from you. Hope they called you and that you are well. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Winter - I can't wait!  I'm still sitting here with nothing done, though...what's wrong with me?!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

It's one of those days Kar. I think I have another cold. :( Really should have stayed home today I think. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Hey Kar, I just spent 5 minutes watching the interaction of fat and water as I was heating it up in the frying pan.  You are not alone!  I am going out in less than an hour but even though I have been up for almost 4 hours I haven't dressed yet!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, ladies. :) Love the image of your staring at the stove, hats, lol.

Winter, I hope you aren't getting sick, but note hat's remedy has just been validated by science. And, tt, did you see that, too?  Bottoms up!  You know, come to think of it my otherwise tea totaling great-grandmother kept a bottle of bourbon for colds and flu in her bedroom closet.  I know she didn't drink it any other time because the same bottle lasted a longggg time.

I'm off and running.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, it is just one of those days. We all have them. Mine was yesterday. I felt a bit let down after son left, and couldn't get myself going. Never made it to the office. So today I must. There will be a huge pile for me.
    Interesting about the warm toddy. It makes a lot of sense.
    Hope to hear from both tt and Amber today. Have a great visit with your cousin, Kar. Is he here on business, or do you have to entertain him all day?
    Better get moving, before I slide into what happened yesterday. Have a good day everyone.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You guys are so encouraging...needed that.

He is here for fun visiting us after having spent a month with his folks in PA (they are the aunt and uncle who were here this Fall).  After us, he will continue by train to visit more family in Maine.  He supports himself, but not traditionally.  He has been a rescue skier in the Alps, a crab boat hand, etc.  He is free to do things like this.  I'm not worried about entertaining him.  We will spend a lot of time outdoors, and he also knows his way around a kitchen and eats healthfully.  Between hiking and cooking we'll not have time for much else, lol.

for those not lurking in the LoseIt thread, I made my goal. Wedding dress zipped up...easily.

Hope you have a good catch up day at the office, Pingo.