December 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Re: December 2013

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

Baskets look nice, like the shape, thought you only needed 3, will you put 1 inside of the other?  Do yoiu wrap the contents? 1 basket oher couple, or 1 each?  Nosy one today huh?? take care ss

Here they are.  I got 3 of each and will put red and green raffia in the bottoms before filling with gifts, and then put them in clear gift bags, tying at the top with fancy wide ribbon.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

In response to shakersilly2010's comment:

After the Holidays this year the receipients of your baskets could use them next year to hold their incoming Christmas cards....Double duty....ss

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

Baskets look nice, like the shape, thought you only needed 3, will you put 1 inside of the other?  Do yoiu wrap the contents? 1 basket oher couple, or 1 each?  Nosy one today huh?? take care ss

Here they are.  I got 3 of each and will put red and green raffia in the bottoms before filling with gifts, and then put them in clear gift bags, tying at the top with fancy wide ribbon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'll be headed out in a minute. Stopping at the library with DS who will be starting a big History project and needs books by tomorrow. Project was assigned yesterday and our library has HORRIBLE hours so going to a neighboring town's. Will tell you about it tomorrow. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

History is the best!!!  Look forward to hearing about it!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

SS, I have 5 baskets to fill, but for some reason every year I pick up 6.  That extra one always seems to come in handy for something around the holidays.   G.T. and partner each get stockings, but the 3 other boys' families get baskets, and then my 2 GD that are married (pumpkin's mom and Lilly's mom), that makes 5 to fill.  Yeah, I thought it was a useful base too, my main concern was something that was the right circumference to fit jars, bottles, etc. in.  Think these will work out nicely.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Super day at the mall.  DSW didn't have what I was looking for, but in Macy's I found a beautiful pair.  Double what the original ones I tried on were, but so comfortable and a handsome shoe.  Plus, I had a $25 gift certificate and the saleslady gave me the additional 25% friend off coupon, so the rest I just put on my Macy's charge.  Excellent salesperson, went out of her way, above and beyond with not only me, but the myriad of other customers she was helping.  Also got outfits for Lilly and pumpkin's bro in there, plus a new sweater top for myself to wear to the party.  We stopped in Su Chang's for lunch after that (2:30) then dashed over to A.C. Moore for some things I needed.  By then the shade of night had started to fall, so back to her house just to pick up my car.  No cards today.  Good productive shopping day for me, only hitting 4 stores, DSW, J.C. Penney, Macy's and A.C. Moore.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT glad you made so much progress today.  I made some but of course I got asked to work tomorrow so...didn't make enough progress!

Kar, you must be still ill, hope you will be well enough to check in tomorrow.

Rama and Novem, how are things with you and are the children enjoying special Christmas treats and activities?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Glad your maal trip was successful tt. Sounds like you are on yur way to get the baskets going. How is the stocking coming for your GD? 

Hats, sorry you got called into work today. We have our work Christmas Party tonight, employees only, no spouses, etc. DS has a late game tonight, so I'll make it.

The history project is pretty indepth. They were given a list of 25 potential topics on the American Revolution (Battle of Bunker Hill, Battle of Lexington and Concord, Declaration of Independence, etc.), since some are better then others the teacher drew names to see who would pick fist. DS wanted the Battle of Bunker Hill (DH can trace a relative that  fought there). The teacher picked his name FIRST and he got to pick and he chose that for his project. So there is a research paper part, than there is a presentation part. In addition to a Power Point Slide Show each child has to come in complete costume of either hte person they are doing or someone that was there. It's due the last week of Janauary. I looked online and costumes are about $40-$50. I don't sew, so I'll keep and eye out on ebay, etc. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

He can't just wear the drummer boy costume from last year?  Too bad!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

In response to pingo's comment:

Re Christmas gifts. I saw some nice live wreaths in LLBeans catalog. Was thinking of giving one to DIL's mother and one to DIL's sister. They dont have balsam in Texas. I will have to have it shipped directly to them before Christmas. Would you girls think it would be an odd gift? Would it be considered a Christmas gift?

Hi Pingo,

I give an LLBean wreath to my mother in law in FL every year. I am the favorite DIL because of it.  She loves them!  :-) It's a great gift. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

The civil war costume was cut to fit the "wooden boy". It was a adult stuff that we cut to fit it, so it wouldn't work anyway, the pants are the wrong color, etc.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Quick few lines and then I've got to get around.  Lilly's mom is coming down this morning to "take away my kitchen island" - - - yes, I just couldn't get past the lingering smell, and her idea is to "Fabreeze the h*ll out of it" - which I explained to her is as full of chemicals as the present smell.  However, she is ecstatic at the prospect of getting it, so she and her husband are adult enough to make their own decisions in that area, I guess.  I'm sad to see it go, I really do love it, but have been hesitant to put my faux crystal trays in there or my cookie carriers, so it's just a "pretty thing to look at."  When I mentioned that I was going to call CTS to see if I could still return it, her reaction was to jump up and down, "I'll buy it Nana, I'll buy it."  Now the hunt begins again - this time for something old - something I can see (and smell) is wood.

Winter, I don't getr this need the school has for making costumes.  Surely there are loads of parents who don't sew, and what with the tuition and other donations that are expected, buying a costume for one wearing may be a hardship.  I can see getting the kids into the feel of the period, but I know for me, this would have definitely been difficult.  So glad your son got to delve a little bit more into his own family ancestry, in this case.  Makes the project all the more interesting.

Wondering if I have time to run to the store.  GD let me know she and husband were bringing a friend, probably using his truck, and would come 10-11.  I'll be hunting my recipes for a milkless (wowie cupcakes?) something to offer them, if I don't get out.  No scones with out buttermilk.

Got to get showered and dressed at the very least and then decide what direction I'm headed in.  Check in later.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I agree but there's not much I can do since I know the kids and the parents in the class and I know one mom has already downloaded a pattern. I can call about renting one, but I suspect that's more then buying one. It's not his ancestry, but his step father's, which is still cool. DS' people don't go that far back to America, we imigrated from many countries.

So sorry that your island is leaving it's lovely in it's spot. Hope you find something else you like as much. A Wowie cake would be nice to have for them. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Gee Winter, I have to say...I am quite sympathetic...It wasn't all that long ago my son was in school...but I do remember what seemed to be outrageous requests from the teachers....Your circumstance falls in that catagory...IMO.

I remember one year...2 weeks before Thanksgiving the teacher insisted we all bring in clothspins....not the ones with a spring...the old fashioned ones...No one could find them ....and really? Did we ALL have to go out and buy 100 of them to get the 3 she wanted each student to have???? We went to the Principal and asked if she could find them...guess what? She couldn't.....but such a waste of time to satisfy some idea she had in her head.

Well, thats old news..Off to do what I have to do today!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ran down to the convenience store to get some milk and swung by DD for half a dozen donuts - no treat for them, they live on them, but I'm not in the mood for baking this morning.  Have to run out myself after they leave for errands.  Came home and had a nice boston cream with a second cup of coffee, and read the paper. That used to be my Sunday morning ritual.  Kind of nice.

Kargiver, hope you are doing better, if not, that you'll be checked out by the doctor.  A lot of bronchitis happening now.  And, if it's a strain of the flu, you'd best know so you can keep an eye on it.

Pingo, I think your wreath idea is a great one.  A touch of N.E. as their Christmas present from you.  I think they'd be really pleased.

Winter, my hands are giving me a lot of trouble, I haven't even tried to start the face and candy canes on the stocking, let along finish the heel etc.  Next time I see her, will tell her I'll try to do it after Christmas.  She's gotten along 9 years without it, and her bro's I made is never used, so can't see that it will make much difference.  Because she asked about it tho, I will finish it at some point.  She may just be the one in that family that treasures things like that.

Want to give the ROK a dust mop before the furniture is moved around.  Will check in later.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Thanks Hats and Alf for chiming in (pun intended) on the wreaths. They will be ordered today. And I might as well order one for DIL as a hostess gift, or she will feel left out. I would love to do the table decorations, but DS's MIL has this thing about candles. I did send her one once. It was placed nicely on the table,  but she went ballistic, when someone tried to light the 3 candles. DS told me not to bother with those. What is a table decoration with candles, if they are not lit?

How are you doing Alf? So nice to see a post from you. Your nom always make me smile. Alf was one of the better TV shows. I loved it. Merry Christmas to you.

Winter, our youngest son did a project on Bunker Hill. His presentation was the "actual" battle. He made the battle on a large piece of cardboard. We bought lots of small plastic soldiers, he painted red (the English) and blue ( the Americans). Made the battle field in clay, and found in our back yard materials for fences and trees etc. It was quite a project. I believe we still have it somewhere. If I find it, I will post a picture of it.
    I am not happy with your son's teacher. I am all for the students to get involved in a project, but this project definitely need parents' involvement. This teacher needs to be told, that this project it not student oriented.

tt, it sounds like you had a field day yesterday. So happy for you, you found your shoes and your last few gifts. But I am too so sorry to see your island, you loved so much, go. At least you will know, it found a nice home. I would just have discarded those awful smelling baskets and replaced them with something else. Too late now. Hope you find a replacement soon.

Kargiver, we are all worried about you. How are you doing? Hopefully better than yesterday.

Have to get ready. The office is calling. But first, I need to order those wreaths. Have a good day everyone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Sounds like a cool project your son did. We are going to take a trip to the Monument and museum over Christmas break so he can get a feel for the landscape. They don't need to create the battle or event, but do a power point/slide presentation. I guess this teacher who is the 7th grade social studies teacher, 8th grade homeroom, social studies, and english teacher has been doing this project at the school many years. I'm going to try to go to this discount clothing store as they sometimes have cheaper costumes. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

- - - - - -  It's g o n e - - - - - -  (sob, sob)

I memory of -

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, that really was a lovely piece, I think I would have thrown out the baskets and replaced them with something. I hope you find somthing that works for your needs. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Hello everyone.  I've been trying to find a few minutes to pop in and say hi.  Hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving.  We did, along with some fun-filled events to fill the rest of that long weekend, and are now into the full swing of Christmas.  

Took the kiddos to do holiday portraits and got excellent ones of them individually, and a really great one of them together.  Not sure how much longer DS will be willing to participate in this sort of thing, so I'm glad to have it.  That was followed by a trip to see Santa (DD only) that resulted in a classic full on screaming cry, arms stretched out "Momma how could you do this to me?" photo (that I love!).

I'm doing most of my shopping online this year, but just got the LL Bean catalog in yesterday's mail. Haven't read it yet, but I'll have to look into decorations as presents for our Moms.  Wanted to do something different this year - that might be the ticket.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

This is a new wrinkle in BDC. Wanted to reply to tt's photo of the island, but kept getting the "Report Abuse" box. Anyone else experiences that?

Anyhow, tt - how could you do that? It fits so perfectly in that room, and we all fell in love with it. I would just have thrown away those pesky baskets and made do with something else. Even left it open and used the holes as a bookshelf.

Sob, sob from me too. Hope your GD will give it a good home and appreciate it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

LOL, Pingo.  I told her I'm going to check it out next time I'm out, where it is and what is in there!  It was obvious to all of us that I did not want to part with it, but it was not just the baskets that smelled.  Opening the doors, and drawer, you still got this peculiar odor.  When I stored my plastic cookie carriers in it, upon taking them out to use, you could smell "the smell".  I ended up keeping them tightly closed while in there and then washing the outsides off even before using.  I couldn't keep living that way, worrying for fear what smell/taste might get into my baked goods.  -  Speaking of which -

all this talk about chocolate cream pie, Winter, and at M.B. today I bought 2!  One to bring to a party Sat, and another to keep for myself.  By the time GD had left it was 12:30 and I had not had lunch, but headed for Costco and M.B. anyway.  First thing I did when I got home was cut a big slab of that pie, and boy, was it good!  Just put the last piece in my mouth when the phone rang with a cell phone # that I knew was familiar.  I answered, "Is this my conscience calling?"  My g.f. started laughing and asked what I was doing now that I shouldn't.  15 minutes later when we finished talking, I cut another piece, my reasoning being that these two slices were my lunch and had to hold me until supper!  Which I'm about ready for now - a Tony's pizza I bought.  Hope it's decent.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Funny that you bought a chocolate pie tt, I'm sure it was tasty. Will be headed out in a few, we have a company only Christmas Party and than DS has a basketball game at 8:30. Can't believe how late the game is. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

While I think of it, want to put a note in to Princess, asking how Peter is doing?  I still know nothing.  Saw the same tech (?) when I picked up a script today and asked if he was back yet, and all he said was, "no".  Should have asked "How is Peter doing?" I think.  If you are talking with him or  his family, please tell him his customers are asking for him and sending good thoughts his way.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, Peter is doing bettter. Was up there a few days ago and I asked. He should be back in a couple of weeks - or so they say.

Sections
Shortcuts