December Chat 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: December Chat 2010

Next time you're in T.J. and see the box and size of the box, you will understand.  But, thanks for the thought.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

november - is your son into science or experiments? if yes then try discovery store online or mindware.

Just back from a day in Boston. It was chilly walking around but we did manage to walk to the North End for canollis. We ended up going to the aquarium so that we could stay warm. It was fun because none of us had been there in ages.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

The Novembride family Christmas Tree...

And one of the centerpieces...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Sounds like a fun day Celia.  Thanks for the good ideas but he's not into that stuff.  He's really all about sports and video games.

Kar - how did you do shopping? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Will have to go there this Saturday. I am out of rice. And TJ is the only store carrying Basmati Rice DH likes. Unless I go to an Indian grocery store and buy 25 lbs. at the time. Just too much for the two of us. Tried so many other brands. Yikes! Yes, we are finicky about our rice. Not that we eat that many of them.
    I know brown rice is the in-thing, but we have never really liked them. Once in a rare while I will cook them, but the taking is not that great.
    Just last night I cooked Israeli couscous. Anyone tried those? They are delicious, DH loved them. I cooked them with raisins, chopped apricots and pinenuts. So yummy, one could eat them all by themselves as a main dish. I served them with leftover lamb/lentil stew. - Pingo

In Response to Re: December Chat 2010:
    [QUOTE]Next time you're in T.J. and see the box and size of the box, you will understand.  But, thanks for the thought.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Have you tried T.J.'s brown rice spaghetti?  A couple of my sons swear by it.  I've not tried it myself, but did buy some to put in a couple of baskets, one who is very health conscious, and another for son who recently had heart attack.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Novembride, love your centerpieces.  I'd have a hard time keeping my hand out of that each time I walked by!  And your tree is beautiful.  Are those a couple of teapots I spy center top?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

We did try the whole wheat spaghetti. Not a great success. I am very well aware, it is much healthier, but I figured with the small amount of pasta we eat, the white one is not going to hurt us much. We are sticking with that - especially the lemon one. But is is a great basket stuffer for the ones who likes it. Great idea!
    In general we eat quite healthy. Lots of veggies and fruit, which we love. Lots of green salads. I think sometimes one can go a bit too far on the health wagon. Not that I am criticizing, the ones that do. But IMO a meal should be one you enjoy, so if I don't eat whole wheat pasta or butter my whole wheat toast with real butter once in a while, I think I will be ok. For one thing, none of us has a sweet tooth - I guess that makes up for some of our "indulgences".

16 degrees outside this morning, and the house was cold as well - 64. Brrrr! Did not close my drapes last night. Should have. I had quite a stressful day yesterday, so I was too exhausted to think about it. I packed for DH and got the lastest instructions, before I dropped him off at Logan. Father and son are now on their way to Delhi, India. Different routes though. They will be back just before Christmas. But my oldest son is coming up to give me company, and his wife will arrive later. Looking forward to spend some alone time with him.

S & S is having Lobsters on sale this week ($3.99/lbs). I am going to pick up a few tonight, cook them and freeze the meat for later. I will most likely have one of them for supper. Chat later - Pingo

[QUOTE]Have you tried T.J.'s brown rice spaghetti?  A couple of my sons swear by it.  I've not tried it myself, but did buy some to put in a couple of baskets, one who is very health conscious, and another for son who recently had heart attack.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Novembride beautiful tree and I'm afraid I'd eat the centerpiece before Christmas arrived.  My son is the same way all he wants is DS or Wii games.  For his brithday he got many GameStop Gift cards.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just tossing out, pingo - my son is quick to point out the flavor or texture is not the same in brown rice spaghetti as wheat spaghetti.  They don't like the wheat either.  It's all a matter of taste, and yes, you certainly do eat a well-balanced, healthy diet.

Kind of nice having the house to yourself to prepare for Christmas.  Your son is lucky that he is able to get as much time off as he does for his visits.  You'll have to plan some special excursions for just the two of you.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The frost is certainly on the pumpkin this morning - looking out, cars are covered with the white stuff, but better than snow.  Glad I got the trash out last night.

Waiting to hear from son's visit to dr. yesterday to see what status of stones is, and also what decision on how to check out the shadow on lung.  As he says, get everythng out of the way in 2010 to make way for a healthy 2011.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Thanks TT and Winter.  Good eye on the teapots TT.  I love teapots and have a collection of all shapes and sizes.  Can't tell in the picture, but one of those on the tree is a really pretty Lenox with sparkly details that was given to me as a wedding gift.

Pingo - I buy the Smart Sense pasta by Ronzi.  It is white pasta but has higher fiber, etc like the wheat pasta. It comes in a purple box and they sell it at MB and S&S. I also don't like the texture of wheat pasta. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes tt, I believe it it more the texture than the taste we don't like. It feels like chewing on "rubbery sand" - if that makes sense.
    Having the house to myself preparing for Christmas is definitely a good thing, but I do miss having DH around. Only thing I do not miss, are the business holiday parties, we had to send our regrets to.  Regrets with pleasure on my part.
    As for DS. He has his own business, he can run from anywhere as long as he has a computer. He is more lucky, that his wife let him go (LOL). I really don't have to plan anything, b/c there is so many things he is missing up here, that he usually have plans before he comes. I just trot along. He is missing Kelly's fried clams f.ex. Imagine that? I will go with him, but just have my cup of clam chowder - or I may even suggest the Clam Shack in Ipswich, if they are still open this time of the year. - Pingo

[QUOTE]Just tossing out, pingo - my son is quick to point out the flavor or texture is not the same in brown rice spaghetti as wheat spaghetti.  They don't like the wheat either.  It's all a matter of taste, and yes, you certainly do eat a well-balanced, healthy diet. Kind of nice having the house to yourself to prepare for Christmas.  Your son is lucky that he is able to get as much time off as he does for his visits.  You'll have to plan some special excursions for just the two of you.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks for the Smart Sense tip, Winter. Will look for it, that may be something to try.
    In regards to teapots, I collect them too. But the real ones. My collection started with one I inherited from my grandmother, when I moved out of my parents house to live by myself. My Grandmother and I had many cups of tea together, so she gave me her teapot to remember her.
    I just don't buy them, they all have a story to tell. F.ex. my parents were huge tea drinkers. So, when visiting here, the tiny (to them) was not large enough, so they purchased a large blue delpht stoneware one for me (it needs two handles to carry).
    Since then, I picked up a few on our travels abroad. I mainly use mine for decorations. I think some of them may now be quite valuable. Never looked into that. For me they are just a pleasure to have around. But I know my DIL has her eyes set on some of them. I have considered giving her one as a present some day, but silly me just can't part with the past.
    - Pingo

[QUOTE]Thanks TT and Winter.  Good eye on the teapots TT.  I love teapots and have a collection of all shapes and sizes.  Can't tell in the picture, but one of those on the tree is a really pretty Lenox with sparkly details that was given to me as a wedding gift. Pingo - I buy the Smart Sense pasta by Ronzi.  It is white pasta but has higher fiber, etc like the wheat pasta. It comes in a purple box and they sell it at MB and S&S. I also don't like the texture of wheat pasta. 
    Posted by Novembride[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Pingo,

I made your Hamburg soup last night, but I eliminated the beans and put turnip, which I love, instead.  Came out great.  It truly is a soup you can play with and so rich and hearty.  It adapts to every vegetable it seems. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I add the beans for fiber, and if you read some of the latest posts, fiber is important. Anyway, I am glad you liked the soup. And you are right, you can throw in anything - and it will come out delicious. I love turnip too, but DH is not so crazy about it.  - Pingo

[QUOTE]Pingo, I made your Hamburg soup last night, but I eliminated the beans and put turnip, which I love, instead.  Came out great.  It truly is a soup you can play with and so rich and hearty.  It adapts to every vegetable it seems. 
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

My collection is of real teapots too Pingo.  The tree ornaments were given to me from those who know of affinity for the real thing.  Each pot was given to me and has its own story to tell as well, so I know exactly what you mean.  I keep them on display in my china cabinet, but pull certain ones out to use for different occasions.  Only my Thanksgiving and Christmas ones come out and go away with the rest of the decorations, the rest live in the cabinet year-round.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

It must be a tea pot thing.  I collect them as well.  The kitchen in our future home has a cool little shelf next the cabinet and I said that's perfect for some of my teapots. :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nov, how about a GC to f.y.e. so he can load up his iPod?  Kids that age don't care about "personal" - they want what they want and only they know what that is.

Shopping went well, thanks, but boy was it cold in Wrentham's outdoor hallways!  The wind was a gale and it was a brisk 30 degrees.  I have to go back having bought the wrong size shirt for my brother (didn't have their new phone number) and forgotten a new remote for our bose stereo (how did it get lost???).  But, I did get a lot of gifts crossed off the list.

Much to do right now while DH (on vacation) is out with Gracie.  More later after I catch up in better shape here.

~kar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Bg, how goes the battle?  Is the tree up?  When will your daughter be back home?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pond is solid ice this morning, no breaking that up with a hammer.  Poured warm water into the other containers and the sparrows were at the buddha font before I could get back in the house.  How is your water heater working out, Pingo?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I agree the beans add fiber, just didn't like the combination of turnip with beans.  Wasn't appealing at all and besides sometimes I just go for the taste and to heck with the healthy.  Anything in moderation is my motto.  I eat healthy 99% of the time as I have to, but I also do not deny myself if I really want something.  I think people go a little crazy with it sometimes. iMO..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

New pic of Amber?  She's awfully cute.  I haven't seen Reese in quite a few weeks.  Reese's mommy had her nose resculptured and didn't want any company for a while.  Hope to stop over there before Christmas.  Little girl has lost one of her front teeth and I keep forgetting to give her father something for it, each time he pops in.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

November and Winter,
    I just had to smile, very wide. I never expected to have anyone else but me collect teapots. What an odd thing to collect, but I love mine.
    I also take mine out on special occasions. Most of the time they spend in a dark closet. For Christmas there are so much other stuff to decorate with, but when I do take them out, I will post a picture.
    Once at a friends 75th birthday, I lent some of them out for table decorations. His wife had a few, I added the rest. The florist did a beautiful job. So happy I could add to the festivities. Everyone was in awe. - Pingo

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Yes tt, new picture : )  My DD has a new phone and it takes amazing pictures. Much better than my phone, so she is having a ball taking them.  I loved the picture you posted that time of Reese.  Brought back so many memories of Amber as a pup.  Amber is a love, but she is having some issues.  Hearing seems worse as is the eyesight and sometimes she is confused.  She will bark for us to take her off the couch and doesn't like to be alone.  Just doing things she never has done before.  But then again, she will be 13 February 8th, which makes her 68 in our years.   How adorable about the lost tooth : )  I cannot wait to be a grandmother some day.  My DD is an only child, so I will spoil him/her rotten!