December Chat 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Re: December Chat 2010

Oh and Amber is sitting on one of my Christmas pillows.  She has pretty much wrecked it, so it will be a gift for her after the Holiday's : )

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I certainly know, what you are talking about. The bird bath works wonderfully! I am so so truly happy we bought it. If anything you could wish for Christmas would be a bb - installed that is. And truly, the installation is not too difficult according to my installer. If you have an outdoor light, there are gadgets to hook it up to. It took my guy less than half an hour to do it.
    This morning with the frigid (16 degrees) temps, "my" birds were happily enjoying the lukewarm water. I am expecting come snow, the snow will just melt.
    You bird lovers, please look into it. I have seen on the net, that they are less than we paid for ours (but then you have to pay for the shipping, and that would make it more) and some come with a stand. Bless those little creatures. Love them.
    - Pingo

In Response to Re: December Chat 2010:
    Pond is solid ice this morning, no breaking that up with a hammer.  Poured warm water into the other containers and the sparrows were at the buddha font before I could get back in the house.  How is your water heater working out, Pingo?
    Posted by toytrumpet

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Here's my Christmas pillow.  Bought it years ago meant as a gift - - need I say more?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

tt, looks just like Cheerio!  How adorable!  I would have to keep it too : )

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Love the pillow!  You know what they say, we all buy presents we want ourselves!  I'm guilty of keeping things, too. :)  And, all the tree photos are so beautiful.  It's so much fun to see everyone's decorations, almost like a party at our houses.

Gracie and DH are back, and she's sacked out in front of the stove, and he's out in the bitter cold finishing his drainage project.  He works hard.

~kar

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Pingo and Winter - my teapot sisterhood.  I always thought I was the only one.  Great idea for a spring centerpiece, too pingo - flowers in a teapot.  Maybe I'll get the dyed-green flowers at St. Patrick's day and put them in a shamrock one.  Hmm....

Kar - sounds like a productive day, even with the impending return trip.  You were brave to hit an outdoor mal on such a blustery day.  Hope DH had the fire roaring for you when you got home.  As for your FYE suggestion - good thought.  I've advised his aunts and uncles to GameStop and iTunes cards as I had no other suggestions for them and didn't want to pull an " I dunno."

Amber - sorry to hear of Amber's hearing and sight issues.  I'm sure that she brightens your day in spite of them.  I'm sending a big behind the ears scratch to the good old girl.  I too love the new picture.  Her expression is adorable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Thank you November : )  Amber is just getting old, like me!  Just sad sometimes to see the changes, but she truly is a sweetheart.  Love the teapot stories.  Nice people on this board for sure.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

T.T., that pillow is adorable!I love it! I love teapots, but never collected them. Thankyou for asking about D.D., She is still in the clinic. I meet with her M.D. today about a plan. I was therethe last few nights, and she's doing much better. D.H. and I bought our tree yesterday,so I'll decorate it tonight when it settles a bit. Better get going, I'll check in later. Take care,bg

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just got back in from lunch "with the girls" and then a stop at M.B.  Bought my turkey breast and a few other things, yet to be put away.  Need to sit down a bit first.

Friend had a wonderful time with the AMA river tour of Europe.  Said she would highly recommend that tour company to anyone interested.  Think they are based on the West Coast but she heard of them through some org around here.

Glad to hear the good report on DD, beastsgirl.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

Guess what!  I collect teapots.  I have at least 3 blue and white ones, a big Brown Betty, a beige one, a gorgeous Crhistmas one, and I don't know how many more there are upstairs in boxes.  What a coincidence!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

We should have a teapot party - Pingo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

BG, better already?  That's great news.  I hope she is being honest with herself and all is progressing as it seems.

Nov, yes, I'm pleased I went and (secretly) happy for the excuse to go back.  Although, I think I'll wait 'til next week when it's supposedly going to be warmer.  The torture!

All the collectors here - I'd like to collect something...what?  Teapots maybe, or would I just be a copy cat? ;)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    please join our "teapot sisterhood" as November so eloquently called it.  You will not be a copy cat. 
    But actually collect anything, that is dear to you. It is so much fun to go searching and rummaging. I was never a teapot collector, but it just happened, and some day maybe - you will find yourself looking for that very special thing.
    I used to collect match boxes (me, and I don't smoke?) and have boxes  full of them. It is getting harder and harder, b/c people do not smoke much any longer. Thanks God! But I still keep my eye out for them.
    Funny thing is, I like to take them out once in a while, and I remember exactly where and how I got a particular one. I think, that is the best part of collecting. When the boys were younger, they would be spellbound listening to my stories. By now, I think, they will probably just throw them in the trash.
    Cooking lobsters, got to run - Pingo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

T.T., that pillow is adorable!I love it! I love teapots, but never collected them. Thankyou for asking about D.D., She is still in the clinic. I meet with her M.D. today about a plan. I was therethe last few nights, and she's doing much better. D.H. and I bought our tree yesterday,so I'll decorate it tonight when it settles a bit. Better get going, I'll check in later. Take care,bg
    Posted by beastsgirl

Take care bg.  Not an easy time for you.  Please know I'm thinking about you and your daughter.  I'm sure your tree will lift her spirits when she comes home.

mothermitzi

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning all,

Woke up this morning thinking that since I don't really have anything I have to do today, would make a run (while there still is no snow) for final tidbits for baskets ( you're all probably sick to death of hearing about them too - "OG, she's on about those baskets again!").  That was my plan until I came in here and turned on the computer that told me the temp outside in my town is only 12!  Forget that plan.  A nice plate of French toast and a really big cup of hot hot coffee sounds more like it.  Sorry for you that have to go out and stand in the cold waiting for public transportation this morning, or even those who have to go out early, period.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Goodmorning all! Jusst came back from taking D.H. to the train. It is REALLY COLD out there! I took the day off today to get some stuff done around the house. A "mental health day", you could call it. I'll "deck my halls"". D.D. is doing better, She is still in the eating disorders unit at a top notch hospital. Kar, tou're right. It's going to take a while. She may come home this coming wek, but will be in an outpatient program, and continue with her therapist. Thanks everyone for your support in all this It helped me so much to vent. I should probably start a journal. It does help to write stuff down, and get it off my chest. Reading all your posts has me in the Christmas spirit! Have a great day!bg.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Kargiver, you have mentioned Groupon a few times - on this morning's Today Show Matt was interviewing the CEO of that company, trying to get an answer if they had turned down an offer from Google to buy the company for 5 billion dollars!  CEO is a young man, quite funny, who launched into one story after another rather than answer Matt.  One of the up and coming heads of the computer world.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

Yes Kar, collecting teapots is fun and they can often be had quite cheaply at HomeGoods and TJ Maxx, as well as Yard Sales, etc.  But the best ones are the ones given to you when people know you love them.  However, what I collect are those things that give me a frisson of joy when I see a potential purchase.  I think that we all need to find what that is for ourselves.  Do teapots do that for you?  Then go for it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

Yes Kar, collecting teapots is fun and they can often be had quite cheaply at HomeGoods and TJ Maxx, as well as Yard Sales, etc.  But the best ones are the ones given to you when people know you love them.  However, what I collect are those things that give me a frisson of joy when I see a potential purchase.  I think that we all need to find what that is for ourselves.  Do teapots do that for you?  Then go for it.

Pingo, your matchbook collection reminds me of my swizzle stick collection.  When I am gone no one will know where they came from and who drank the drinks they once stirred.

Posted by lemoncoke

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good day to have off and "deck your halls", bg.  I just may do the same, altho I want to do some heavy cleaning that will stand up for the next couple of weeks, before I start putting out the displays.  Not taking out my snowman display this year, that has grown and grown, started by one Christmas gift, then another and another.  Put it out other years thinking the little ones would like something they could touch and play with without their parents saying, "Don't touch that."  They never really went for the mostly roly poly snowmen tho, and I'm frankly sick of them.  Put them out at my yard sale and did sell 2 or 3.  Was so pleased when I opened up the box I keep the paper, ribbon etc. in,  had forgotten how I cleaned that out last year and left a nice neat pile of only the best (a throwback to saving the tissue, bows, etc.!).

Settled for blueberry Ecco's and that BIG cup of hot, hot coffee, and have already made yet another check of whose basket needs what.  Am all set if the sun decides to warm up the air around noon, to make a final sweep.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  Pingo, Novembride and Lemoncoke I like the "teapot sisterhood"  I also tea cups that have been given to me through the years.  Bg, I hope you and your family are doing well.  tt, I love that cat pillow.  I just can't wait to get a kitten when we move. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, I still have 2 or 3 teacups up in my cabinet - probably worth something now, since they were given to me maybe 50 years ago at various times.  Bone china, and pretty designs.  I've given a couple to DILs through the years, but they really don't either collect them, or use them, which was my intent.  I should  write a note to myself somewhere where I might be apt to find it, to put them out for next yard sale I have.  Shame to have them just collecting dust.

There are loads of shelters (Animal Rescue League for one) with cats who have been brought there because owners are not able to keep them.  They have all ages too, from kittens to the older cat whose owner has passed away.  The only thing I have to forewarn you to be prepared for, is a cat's scratching.  Charlie headed straight to the corners of my new furniture, while Cheerio has been content to claw the wooden post at the foot of the cellar stairs.  Scratch boxes just don't do it, they use them too, but seem to want something upright to pull their claws down on - it's natural - in the wild, they would use the trees to keep their claws trimmed.  So, be prepared that you may have to do some work with readapting a cat/kitten to using perhaps an upright sturdy scratching post rather than your furniture.  It's the nature of the beast.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Hi again.  Novemberbide, I just love your new angel avatar, so cute! Winter2011Bride, it is so much fun having a kitty.  Starting today, we decided ours needs some "food management". We put out exactly what he needs . He's getting huge because he's figured out a purr and circling his dish will get him anything he wants. I have a strange collection. I collect restaraunt menus. I have some from our Italy trips, vacations, and our own Boston restaraunts. I do usually ask the server if I can take one home as a souveneir, and they say "don't worry about it". I tell them I'll pay for it, and mostly they say "No, thats O.K." bg.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Kar - maybe you could collect giant tractors!  J/K.  Keep an eye out in your travels and you'll be surpised to see teapots are all around you.  I swear I see them in the oddest places sometimes.

Winter - some of mine are sets with two or four matching cups.  My most cherished teacup through is one of my grandmother's.  After she passed, my mom and her sisters split up the teacups and saucers among themselves and their daughters/daughters in law, so we each have at least one.  My mother was also given the two-teired "tea time" cookie dish, that she in turn gave to me at my wedding shower (tears all around).

TT- I enjoy hearing about your baskets and the adventures you take to fill them.  Its heartwarming to hear how much love you put into each one.  I don't blame you for staying in this morning though.  It was a frosty 15 degrees when me and puppy hit th epark this morning.  He's pretty hearty for a little guy - just kept chasing that ball!

BG - Very happy to hear DD's treatment is progressing, and that you are taking care of yourself too.  =)

Can't wait for "lunch" today - I'm taking it at TJ Maxx/DSW (shopping for me - heheee!)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Boy tt, you are up and on the go early today. 12 degrees? My outdoor thermometer says 9 - yes, nine. And the birth bath does not have one speck of ice. Yeah!
    I should go out and fill the feeder, but it will have to wait until I get properly dressed, and it is a bit warmer.
    Bought 4 lobsters yesterday, paid $21 for them. Brought them home, steamed them, put Andrea Bocelli on and took my time picking out the meat. Got 1 and 1/2 lbs. of beautiful meat (that is about $14/lbs.). It is now sitting in my freezer waiting for the family to come home to share. Will probably make a casserole or maybe a Lobster Newburg on of the Christmas days.

How do you like them beauties?

Now that you are done with your baskets, you are welcome to shop for mine. Wish I could take a day off in this frigid weather, but work is calling.
    Hope you will all stay warm today - Pingo

Sections
Shortcuts