December Chat 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: December Chat 2010

Love your stories of collections.  Actually, my great-grandmother collected bells, and I've always wanted to do that.  I am not sure who inherited her collection; it's quite large and there aren't a lot of people who were candidates...I'll have to ask my mom.  I'd love to have them to display (DH could make a nice case) if someone else is just holding on to them in boxes.  She had them from all over the world; she and her daughter went on trips with the Y for seniors...20-30 years before she passed away!  She was 101.  Too bad your DIL didn't take up the mantle of the tea cups, tt.

BG, you've not given me any indication that you don't know how hard this can be, but at the same time I know anorexia is often a huge enigma for family members and friends.  But, I know she'll make it through this and end up in a healthy place because she has a mother who not only loves her but is getting her the help she needs right away and is committed to seeing it through.  Vent and vent and vent.  We will not tire of being there for you no matter how long.  A journal is a great idea, too.  And, maybe consider personal counseling if you have a good mental health insurance plan.

For a laugh - I set the tea kettle on the wood stove and forgot about it.  I just started hearing this odd, ghostly "laughing" and was totally freaked out!  Of course, it's the weak, random whistling of a kettle with water barely hot enough to produce little bursts of steam.  LOL

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Pingo - are you a fan of Andrea Bocelli?  I just went and saw his show on Sunday night at the TD North Garden - he was fabulous.  His voice is even more beautiful in person.

Glad to see all of your holiday happenings!  Stay warm!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Princess,
    Am I a fan of Andrea? YES, with capitals! I did hear him live two years ago in Texas. It was a life experience for me. So happy for you (and also a bit envious), you got to hear him just now. Isn't he something? What a gift he has. All those rock bands and hi-tech bands can pack their equipment, as far as I am concerned. Well, I guess there has to be something for everyone.
    You stay warm too on this frigid day - Pingo

In Response to Re: December Chat 2010:
    Pingo - are you a fan of Andrea Bocelli?  I just went and saw his show on Sunday night at the TD North Garden - he was fabulous.  His voice is even more beautiful in person. Glad to see all of your holiday happenings!  Stay warm!
    Posted by princess-cal

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Princess, you were at the same concert as my SIL, her husband, and her parents!  They also said it was awesome.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

"...it is so much fun having a kitty.  Starting today, we decided ours needs some "food management". We put out exactly what he needs . He's getting huge because he's figured out a purr and circling his dish will get him anything he wants."

bg, we have the same issue with our male cat. We had to stop leaving dry food out all the time. The problem was that the cat will beg constantly for dry food even if there is wet food out for him. So recently we purchased one of those exercise treat balls for him. We put a scoop of dry food in it then let him have it. He's a bit more active because of it. So far we managed to keep his weight level. Not much luck in decreasing it! He was a big kitty when we brought him home from the shelter. He's so much bigger than our other cats that we had to install a new bigger cat door because we could hear him scape the sides while squeezing thru the old one. (We use a cat door to the cellar where we keep the litter boxes.)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Hi Celia2, With our stitches,we adopted him as a stray from the shelter. He was so pathetic looking, his ribs were visible. I'm afraid we overcompensated. He's absolutely healthy and gorgeous now, but we have to reign him in a bitbefore he developes health problems. SO hard to say no ,and ignore him circling his dish,he's such a character! I will try out the excersize treat balls, sounds great for him,I'll google a store that carries it. Thanks!bg

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gracie plays with those treat balls for hours!  It really distracts her from begging for bowls and bowls of food.  She'd eat herself to death if we let her.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Out and back home again.  Everyone else had the same idea this morning, parking lots are jammed.  At least I got what I was looking for and back out, and didn't end up circling, circling, like some drivers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

O.k..forgive me but I had to chime in...I too collect tea pots..now I need to catch up...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Ok...19 days until we close on the house and 64 days until the wedding.  No Christmas shopping done and FI is gone until next Friday.  Thank goodness it's Friday.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Oh, Winter - that's a lot to have on your plate! You need a weekend!

My "lunch" was a bust =(    Hopefully I will have better luck tonight at the mall.  All I want is to find a cute top or two to wear to holiday parties and maybe a great pair of shoes for no other reason than I love shoes.  Not too much to ask, right?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Friend yesterday was saying she found a great top for the holidays at Marshall's.  Her friend had told her about getting one there and seeing one she thought she would like.  You're bound to find somethng at the Mall with all those stores to choose from.  Good luck.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Pingo, that lobster looks beautiful.  For a moment, I started thinking about summer and Maine.  Then I started thinking of going out to lunch and realized it's almost winter and freezing.  Oh well, I can dream.

Boston office party is tonight.  On Tuesday, I leave for the NY party and three days in the city.  Of course, I will be working in the office (a little) while I'm there, but that means socializing with longtime coworkers I haven't seen all year. Can't wait!  I missed the party last year, so I'm doubly looking forward to it this year.

Tomorrow is baking day with the three girls. Doesn't get much better than this!

mothermitzi   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks Novembride I do need a weekend!!! Then FI tells me that he most likely has to go back to Denmark in January.....ugh.  Sorry your lunch trip was a bust but good luck shopping tonight.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

mm, that was exactly what I was hoping when posting the lobster picture - dreaming about the summer time sitting on the rocks someplace eating lobster.
    Have a great trip to NY - hope you will give us a report, when you get back. You always seem to have such a good time there at Christmas time. I spent my first Christmas in this country in NY, and was it ever overwhelming. We were a group of friends going and I think that is when the sparks started btw. DH and I. Lots of good memories.
    Happy baking tomorrow. Should be a lot of fun with so many hands.

Pingo, that lobster looks beautiful.  For a moment, I started thinking about summer and Maine.  Then I started thinking of going out to lunch and realized it's almost winter and freezing.  Oh well, I can dream. Boston office party is tonight.  On Tuesday, I leave for the NY party and three days in the city.  Of course, I will be working in the office (a little) while I'm there, but that means socializing with longtime coworkers I haven't seen all year. Can't wait!  I missed the party last year, so I'm doubly looking forward to it this year. Tomorrow is baking day with the three girls. Doesn't get much better than this! mothermitzi   
    Posted by mothermitzi

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Nice memories pingo .  NY at Christmastime is very romantic.  I can see why the sparks were flying between you and DH.  NY goes all out with decorations at Christmas in a way Boston does not. It is my favorite time to go.  During my stay, I will sneak away to the Metropolitan Museum of Art to see the Christmas tree with its magnificent hand carved wooden angels - a holiday tradition for me.

mothermitzi    

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Where are the lobster photos?  I'll have to find them and do some reminiscing, too. :)

Woke up to a dusting of snow on the ground and Gracie wishing she could fly to avoid it.  So funny!

Did you hear the 911 call of the woman with a squirrel in her toilet this morning?!  It was hysterical!  I thought of you ladies and wondered if it was one of you.  When the operator asked, "Could it be a family pet?"  She said, "Oh, no, my cat is in my office behaving herself <giggle>."  I wondered why the cat wasn't helping out with this situation!

Winter, I hope you enjoy your time to yourself and can get a lot checked off your mile long to-do list.  Sometimes it's easier to get a lot accomplished by yourself for awhile.  No one to consider for dinner, etc.  If you want a bowl of cereal, no problem.  ...at least that's how it is for me when DH is gone!

I agree that TJ Maxx, Marshall's, etc. are THE places to go for holiday/Christmas tops for parties.  Not expensive, very festive.  Ann Taylor was selling a cute T shirt with understated sparkly embellishments this year, one each of a poinsettia (over white), Rudolph (silver with red nose over black), and a penguin (I think that was the 3rd one).  I would have bought the white with the poinsettia for our parties, but I found it a little thin for white fabric if you know what I mean.  I almost bought the Rudolph...I now wish I had.  Our first party of the season is tonight!  What to wear, what to wear....

I'll be dipping my traditional Clementine sections in dark chocolate for the party as I have for the last 10 years.  People expect them.  I'd love to change it up, but we don't want to incite a riot at this lovely party. ;)

But, I'm jonsing for another blue cheese/date ball like I made for Thanksgiving.  I'll make that for the next two parties (family).

I'm attacking the pile of Christmas cards (the photo ones of Gracie in front of the fire) today along with the oranges.  DH is at Lowes picking up things to finish two big outdoor projects.  He's happy to have it a bit warmer today, but is eager to finish as tomorrow it's supposed to pour, and then, alas, his vacation is over.  Too bad one of us has to work.  It's been a lovely week, and Gracie has been over the moon to have Daddy home all week, taking her for her woodsy walks almost every day.

Have a wonderful weekend, friends!

~kar

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

While you, mothermitzi are creating your holiday cookies with the girls today, I'm dipping into my frozen baked treats!  Smuggled out a piece of fudge yesterday when the urge overcame me, and this morning cut a wedge of the fruitcake to have with cream cheese and coffee.  Well, after all, tis the season.  Goodies aren't just for the company on Christmas morning.

Didn't get out fast enough to put kibble down for "pretty baby" as she passed through the yard this morning, and all my whsk whsking in the world didn't bring her back, (tho it had Cheerio waiting at the back door to try to duck out!) so now the blue jays are trying to figure out how to crack each piece up and eat it.  Saw the sparrows going from watering place to watering place too, so went out with my warm water and added some to each spot.  The buddha font is the most popular, they like to sit on top of his head and then fly down for a sip.  Love that someone/thing besides me enjoys having him out there.  He gives me peace just to look out on him, even when he's buried in snow up to his chin.

I took note of your clementine/chocolate dip idea, Kargiver.  Such an easy yet festive dish to put out.  Unfortunately, the clementines that I bought last week that looked soooo good, were terrible, as tho they had been frozen.  Do you buy yours at a special fruit store?  I might try Pace's, they charge an arm and a leg for everything, but maybe for that price you're assured of decent fruit. 

Your lobster pic was again worthy of a food magazine award, pingo.  Unfortunately, I have a hard time looking at them in the shell.  Always buy them already cooked and shelled, or prepared in something, much as I love them.

Saturday, and I try not to hit the malls on the week-ends.  Will try to get the rest of my cards written, have received a few already.   Have a couple of calls to make this morning too.  I'm a phone procrastinator, don't know why, but it takes much urging on my part to actually make a call.  Enjoy your day, all.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I bought mine this year at Trader Joe's in Shrewsbury, and they are juicy and delicious.  Sorry about your yucky ones, tt - I've gotten them that way and returned them, and I'm sure I didn't have a receipt.  It was Whole Foods that time, I think.  They do get frozen sometimes, and there's no way to tell before you get them home.  If you do the dipped ones, keep in mind they take quite a while...a lot longer than one might think.  I'm doing mine earlier in the day this year so I don't have to worry about them not being hard when I have to pack them up!

Treats are definitely NOT just for guests - YOU did all the work, after all.  Enjoy any time of day whenever you want.  I usually make a pig of myself while I'm baking 'cause I love the raw stuff.  Fudge, cookie dough, not-yet-set cheese balls, whatever.  I call it "quality control." LOL

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning ladies, even though late.
    I got a late start this morning. When DH is out, I don't sleep well. Was up most of the night hearing all kind of noises. And one of my security alarm batteries was low, and it made such a racket. Why does this always happen, when I am alone in the house? Guess Murphy's law.
    Then fell fast asleep until DH called me at 9 am.
    So nice to wake up to sunshine this morning. Will go out to do a bit of necessary shopping, while it is still pleasant out, then come home put some Christmas music on and decorate the tree. Later on I will make some truffles. A new recipe given to me, I will try - if it comes out good, I will post it for you.
    Spoke with DH and son in India. They are doing fine enjoying 75 degrees temp. worrying about us up here in those frigid temperatures. But as long as we don't get snow, I can stand it.
    Winter, how is FI doing in DK? He must just hate it there with all the snow and cold weather, that is quite unusual for them at this time of the year. Hope he - and especially you - will get another chance to go, when it is a lot more pleasant. Winter is you nom? LOL
    Kar, I love your Clementine treats. I will have left over melted chocolate this afternoon, so I will make sure to pick up box at TJs on my shopping trip. I did buy a box earlier at S&S when my PB son was visiting for TG. He loves them. They were not that great.
    tt, I always steam my own lobsters.  I know what you mean by not like to look at them in the shells. I didn't think, I could do that either. But you know, when you cook your own, the meat is so much sweeter (with my old Maine fisherman's recipe)  and instead of paying the going rate of $24 - 28/lbs for lobster meat, I paid only $14. Makes them so much sweeter.
    Got to get going - enjoy the sunshine out today. - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, ask if you can rip open a Clementine and try it before you buy a box, I strongly suggest.  I've been in tt's boat many a time with a bad, previously frozen batch I couldn't use.  Also, parchment/wax paper makes for easy removal from the cookie sheet.  It's perfect weather to let them cool outside.  Sometimes I have to make a bunch of room in the fridge!  I dip them 1/2 way so you can see and pick up the treat by the non-chocolate end.  Enjoy and please remember to photograph!

I'm off to melt the chocolate. :)

ETA: Oh, yeah, remember to "candle" your sections for seeds and remove them before dipping.  Perfect sunny day for it!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, thank you for the suggestion. I think it is a worthwhile one. Do you really do that? I would be too timid to ask, but now that you suggest it, I will try to get over it and ask.
    Will let you know, how it goes. Thanks again - Pingo

Pingo, ask if you can rip open a Clementine and try it before you buy a box, I strongly suggest.  I've been in tt's boat many a time with a bad, previously frozen batch I couldn't use.  Also, parchment/wax paper makes for easy removal from the cookie sheet.  It's perfect weather to let them cool outside.  Sometimes I have to make a bunch of room in the fridge!  I dip them 1/2 way so you can see and pick up the treat by the non-chocolate end.  Enjoy and please remember to photograph! I'm off to melt the chocolate. :)
    Posted by kargiver

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Icer, you collect teapots too?
    I am so amazed, thet my most precious Chat friends are collecting teapots. I always thought, I was the only one.
    There must be something about teapots that keep us together. LOL

O.k..forgive me but I had to chime in...I too collect tea pots..now I need to catch up...
    Posted by icer

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

All this talk about chocolate dipping, has got me "dipping" my fingers in the tollhouse choc chips!  Only chocolate I have in the house besides my frozen fudge, which BTW, seems to have frozen well - yesterday's chunk I defrosted was just as delicious as when I froze it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

mm, it was definitely a Christmas to remember. It was snowing so heavily, and I took a picture of a lady crossing the 5th avenue with a red umbrella. Guess, what I got for my birthday that year a few months later? A red umbrella, I still have in perfectly working condition. Yes indeed, NY is so romantic. Have a wonderful trip. - Pingo
    Response to Re: December Chat 2010:
    Nice memories pingo .  NY at Christmastime is very romantic.  I can see why the sparks were flying between you and DH.  NY goes all out with decorations at Christmas in a way Boston does not. It is my favorite time to go.  During my stay, I will sneak away to the Metropolitan Museum of Art to see the Christmas tree with its magnificent hand carved wooden angels - a holiday tradition for me. mothermitzi    
    Posted by mothermitzi

Sections
Shortcuts