December Chat 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: December Chat 2010

I didn't this time because the thought didn't occur to me until tt's post about her yucky ones and my remembering they can be awful.  However, I assure you, if I were to buy a box with it on my mind I'd definitely do it.  Hey, you're paying for a whole box of 'em - you should know they are good before you leave imo.  And, I HAVE brought the remainder of a bad box back.  I wish I'd tasted those first...  The worst they can say is "no," right?  And, I know that Whole Foods has a taste-it-first policy about ANYTHING in the store.  I've utilized it here and there, and they are always happy to open something.  They use it as samples after.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I learn so much from from my friends at the Chat. Thanks Kargiver - Pingo

In Response to Re: December Chat 2010:
    [QUOTE]I didn't this time because the thought didn't occur to me until tt's post about her yucky ones and my remembering they can be awful.  However, I assure you, if I were to buy a box with it on my mind I'd definitely do it.  Hey, you're paying for a whole box of 'em - you should know they are good before you leave imo.  And, I HAVE brought the remainder of a bad box back.  I wish I'd tasted those first...  The worst they can say is "no," right?  And, I know that Whole Foods has a taste-it-first policy about ANYTHING in the store.  I've utilized it here and there, and they are always happy to open something.  They use it as samples after.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Goes both ways, my friend. :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, you are not alone with chocolate on your fingers. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Here we are in progress on the wood stove double boiler.  I feel like an old fashioned gal today for sure!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

For anyone interested:  Barefoot Contessa is on - Barefoot in London.  She and Jeffrey going to all the food haunts she has talked about.  Maybe you can watch while you dip, Kargiver.  BTW, your pic makes me want to go out and buy some clementines today and get started - but I'll wait til just before Christmas.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Lovely picture Kar. I know how you must feel. The photo makes me remember my grandmothers stove. Several burners we had to move stuff around on to get the right temperature. Good for you, you can use your woodstove to make the treats. Innovative thinking. - Pingo
    [QUOTE]Here we are in progress on the wood stove double boiler.  I feel like an old fashioned gal today for sure!
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

They last a few days quite nicely in zip lock bags in the fridge (after cooling on sheets, of course), but yup, too early for a Christmas spread!  These will be gone in less than 12 hours. :) 

Here's another use for a Kubota: cooling rack.

ETA:  Pingo, thanks for the "warm" thoughts of the stoves of days gone by. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Cheerio came in to join me and did her Christmas cards while watching Barefoot Contessa.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, how adorable - that's next year's Christmas card!  Cheerio is ahead of me; I'd planned to do ours today, but the dipping got the best of my day. 

I used the rest of the melted chocolate by tossing in walnuts and making a bark.  I twisted on some pink salt before it cooled (a la Godiva's caramel chocolate with sea salt sticks), and it's SO good.  I think I'll twist a little salt on the oranges next year.  They're already cold, now, so too late.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

When I was first married and money was really tight, I used to make Christmas gifts for the adults of chocolate covered walnuts - clusters dropped on wax paper to harden.  One elderly man in particular looked forward to those every year, and it gave me so much pleasure to make them for him.  I still think of him each Christmas, a FIL of a friend, gone many years, but still remembered.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Your memory choked me up, tt, so special.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

What a cute picture of Cheerio, she is really watching over her cards. Try to see if you can enhance it (making it lighter) - it would be - as Kar suggesta great Christmas card for next year.
    [QUOTE]Cheerio came in to join me, doing her Christmas cards while watchng Barefoot Contessa -
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Just came back from a swing around town. I was surprised to see how light the traffic was on this Saturday afternoon a week before Christmas. The parking lots were jammed, but the roads not. Costco was one of my stops - which I dreaded, but there were necessities I needed. Of course the warehouse was mobbed, and I felt there was a lot of new customers, stopping everywhere, not knowing, where they were going. But the check out took no time. I was really surprised. Got my rotisserie chicken, so I now have dinner for the next several days. Chicken w/ my cranberry sauce and my cucumber salad. Have to live it up, when one is at home alone. LOL
    Stopped to say "Hello" to my neighbor across the street. He was stringing lights on his house. He told me, there had been prowlers around here and he had to call the cop twice last week. Make me feel really safe being home alone. (Will not tell DH, he will be worried sick). But I do have the house armed, when at home or when out. Generally my back yard is kind of dark, so now I will make sure I light it up at night. Just to be safe. And I have my trusty cell phone with me at all times.
    I live in a very large house, but I am not afraid. Besides, whenever I had to call the cops, they have been here in seconds. They know me well. I helped them out once years ago, and somehow they never forgot.
    Kar, I love your "cooling rack". You know, in the winter I use my deck as my extended refrigerator. I place one of my large coolers out there and place whatever I need in there, just so the animals can't get into it. We women know how to "spin". - Pingo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You still want to be especially careful if you now know there have been prowlers around, Pingo.  Put a lot of lights on in the house.  I hope you let your neighbor know that you are presently home along so he could keep an eye on you and anything he might see that looks suspicious.  I agree, letting Mr. P. know would only worry him needlessly, with nothing he could do.  Check in with us first thing in the morning for sure.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thank you my dear friend! I did indeed let my neighbor know, I was home alone. He told me, he will watch out for me. My house is ablaze tonight, and will be until DH comes home. Well it is Christmas time anyway. So let's light it up.
    Just one thing, I would rather not have to worry about, but I do believe the "guy up there" will take care of me.
    Just hope I can sleep tonight. Let's see how it goes. Me think, I will have a shot of brandy before going to bed. As a non drinker it would put me to sleep for the night. Thanks for your concerns - Pingo

[QUOTE]You still want to be especially careful if you now know there have been prowlers around, Pingo.  Put a lot of lights on in the house.  I hope you let your neighbor know that you are presently home along so he could keep an eye on you and anything he might see that looks suspicious.  I agree, letting Mr. P. know would only worry him needlessly, with nothing he could do.  Check in with us first thing in the morning for sure.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Don't worry pingo..The guy upstairs will listen to the gal upstairs. yes I do collect tea pots. I have some from friends and some from family. Also Pingo you asked abouit something under our Christmas cactus, it is a wooden butterfly, which is the other thing I collect..butterfly things. Honey made it..I will take a better picture of it when I have more time.

Our next door neighbors are away for a couple of days and we are getting the mail ect for them. Yesterday a police cruiser pulled up to their house. I got a little alarmed and went out to speak to the officer. It seems some of the kids in town were"rearranging" folks Xmas decoration. The Officer thought the ones he found were our neighbors(Our whole neighborhood lights up the street) I told him it wasn't theirs, but it is a nice story to tell.
    Signing off for the night. but I will be checking in

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

Good Sunday Morning!

Today I am going to wrap all the presents accumulating in the guest room and move them to the living room. Then I will get the room ready for my guests and I'll do some more Christmas cards in bed tonight.

What are your plans, O Chatters?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

7:20 - are you up and about yet, Pingo?  How did your night go?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Your post didn't come up until I posted mine, lemoncoke.  I did get some cleaning done yesterday, so today will be spent polishing furniture and then bringing down, one box at a time, the decorations and displays that go up, in preparation for the girls coming Friday.  If I have time, may put the Christmas baskets (boxes) in gift bags and tie the bows around too.  I still have some cards to finish writing, including a couple that need newsy letters put in.  Right now, I'm thinking breakfast - since I made bacon and eggs for supper last night - think it will be another slice of the fruitcake with cream cheese.  Festive breakfasts have begun already!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Had a lovely time last night with all the party attendees we only see once a year (except for the host who we see and talk to more often).  Food and fun for all, and the oranges were a hit, as always.  Did any other of you make them?

A rainy/sleety day...yuck!  Be careful out there, everyone.

2 weeks before Christmas...imagine!

Blessings,
    ~kar

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It's warm here, Kargiver.  Little pond is melted, as are the various birdbaths.  Not raining right now either.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    Slept well last night. I stayed up later than I normally do and wrote two birthday cards for this week and a large part of my Christmas  cards. I hand write them all. But I have cut down quite a few. I decided, that this year I will make calls instead to many, I usually send a card to.
    We have already received several of those impersonal photo cards. When I say impersonal, I mean the photo cards, that does not have a single stroke of a pen and sent off with computer attached labels. Sorry ladies, I just can't stand them. Personally, I would much rather receive a call. Will see how it goes. Then I had a shot of brandy and went to sleep.
    I did wake up with the birds, but these days they are not active until 7 - 7:30 am, so that is for me a good night's sleep. Called DH, just to say good morning. It is their evening and they were ready to have dinner. I didn't tell him about the prowlers. No need to.
    Have a few errands I didn't make yesterday to do today.  But thankfully it is not so blistering cold. My thermometer says 43, but I am sure there is a wind factor.
    Then there are the usual house chores. Have to do them today, as I have to be in our office tmw. with our newest book keeper.
    Oh well, the world still turns - Pingo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Good morning everyone.  I'm taking a short break from clean-up duty.  Luckily there is not too much to do - just put away the chafing dishes and put my kitchen and dining room back in order.   Then I plan to organize the presents I have bought so far and hopefully start wrapping.

Last night's fesitivities were a great success.  Poor DH had to drag himself off to work today.  Puppy is sacked out cold on the couch - where I'm sure DH would rather be, but this is his busy season and he has some cathing up to do from the time lost when we hurt his foot.  Poor guy.  Early to bed tonight for him.

There is plenty of left over food, so I have invitied my nieces for a "party" tonight with thier mom (my brother is away on business) and my parents.  I figure that way none of me, Mom or SIL has to cook and the food won't go to waste.  Everyone wins.

I scanned quickly, but will catch up later.  Kar - love the clementines on the kubota!  Pingo - please do be careful.  Keep the alarm on and an ear open.  TT - I had a festive breakfast of my own today - mini cupcakes with a cup of tea!

Back to work.  Have a good day all.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

Good morning. We got our tree yesterday and will be decorating it today. Was able to buy a coal hod yesterday. Had to go to 2 stores because they had sold out at the first one. I am so behind in my Christmas shopping. Normally by this time all I have left to do is the wrapping. I've decided on the family gift but still need to get the individual gifts. It's so hard to buy for my ds because he's at a very fussy stage (teenager!). He hates shopping so no gift cards for him.

I'm off to food store for our weekly shopping. They have butter on sale so I will stock up. I use a lot in my baking for the holidays. One year I used 6 lbs. Next weekend is my big baking weekend.