December Chat 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Re: December Chat 2010

tt, how much fancy feast do you give Cherio a day? Wehave started one half cup dry food twice a day, and he's antsy. I worry it's too little. I'm a wuss, I'd give him whatever he wanted. Good thing my Dear Heart has a stronger backbone! Safe Trip M.M. Take care bg

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Thanks tt & bg.  bg, I hope when I get back at the end of the week, your daughter will be better and able to be at home.  Make sure you take care of yourself, too.

mothermitzi 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Bg, I give Cheerio (having just fed her before I sat down) 1/2 can of F.F. (you know how small those cans are, right?) in the morning, along with a little sprinkle of Purina Indoor cat food (8 or 10 pieces).  When I'm having my breakfast a little later, I pour her a dribble or two of 1% milk which she has always loved.  Then, I measure out 1/4 cup kibble and during the course of the day (when I go out in the morning and again when I'm having lunch, and mid afternoon) pour just a few pieces of that into her plate.  Sometimes she gets that whole 1/4 cup during the course of the day, sometimes not.  I don't give it to her unless she's asking for it.  Her supper is another 1/4 cup kibble - that's it for the day, along with always a fresh bowl of water daily.  Having checked with the vet, I know the breakfast and supper amounts are ok, questionable is the extra 1/4 cup I meter out to her in between.  She isn't a cat that you can pour food in her dish and leave, she would gobble it all up in one sitting.  Yesterday, I left the other 1/2 can of f.f. on the counter while I came in and turned on the computer, and I heard her jump down from somewhere and knew she had been up on the counter helping herself to more!  This morning, I covered and refrigerated the remainder of the can I opened as soon as I fed her.   Maybe the dry isn't satisfying your cat completely.  You might try a little of the wet food in place of some of the dry, either meal.  Cats are beggers tho, they'll circle your ankles and weave in and out around your feet, trying to convince you they're STARVING!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gracie's the same way - such a scammer!  She runs over to her recently emptied food dish as soon as Daddy gets home and pretends I didn't feed her, crying and licking her bowl quite woefully.  He was wondering, I'm sure, if I really do feed her until she did the same thing after I got home and he'd just fed her.  They don't call 'em Flabradors for nothin'!

She's outside playing in the snow with her new boots that I think will actually stay on.  The pretty pink Muttlucks of last year were a waste of money.  They were easy to put on, but that was both a pro and a con; they were just as easy to come off and fell off out there promptly, like boot shaped socks.  These have zippers in the front all the way down to the sole so they have a much more contoured fit and have a velcro strip around the top to seal the deal.  Very well made imo.  We'll see what I think of them by the end of the season, but so far so good.  She tolerates them, but to watch her run and play in them is absolutely hilarious.  I've been trying to shoot a little video, but she's not "cooperating" so far.

DH (Husband or Heart works for me!) is on day 2 of his being back to work.  We got spoiled...I miss him so much!

Sunday, another Christmas party!  We'll be at dear SIL's house just 2 days after her last chemo treatment so she'll be laid up, but happy to have everyone there.  She's "used to" how she's going to feel, now, so not as worried about it.  How awful a thing to be used to, but thankfully, this is it.  5 years of Tomoxifin (sp?), and hopefully she'll be done with this awful nightmare.  I got her favorite chocolates from Godiva, and did I tell you what else?  I belong to the deal club, Rue La La, and one of the deals was $25 for a $50 gift certificate to Lord and Taylor.  So, she's getting that and the chocolate, and I've still managed to stay within the $50 limit of the drawing.  YAY!

Then, Christmas Day at our house.  No BIL.  He'll be ruining his parents' Christmas in FL.  He has to be somewhere, right?  I can't help but be happy that it's not here.

Gosh, what a ramble this morning.  Thanks for listening!  It's flurrying here, and we have a scant inch on the ground.  You?

Blessings,
    ~kar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

No snow here, Kargiver.  Tolerable temps.  Glad because one of my supposed purchases yesterday was a new toilet seat - this one broke after a couple of months and it was one of the more expensive ones at Home Depot.  Now it practically dumps you off as you start to get up!  Anyway, enough pictures that you didn't need - forgot it yesterday and have to run out and pick up a new one today.  Don't want my guests Friday to be unceremoniously "dumped" to the floor!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, nothing would ruin a Christmas party more than being dumped to the floor by your hostess' toilet! ;)  I hope you get store credit for the seat. 

Still barely snowing here.  Gracie is napping.  I wonder if her boots are going to be a problem, after all; they seem to make her itch along the tops.  She chews her ankles for awhile after they come off.  I'm going to contact the company and ask about it at 10 when they open.

It's always SOMETHING, isn't it?  LOL

~kar

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Gee TT That toilet seat sounds like its a perfect fit for Kar's BIL...hehehe

Anywhoo, nice to catch up with all the comings and goings.I have a stellar couple of days coming up. Tonight, I will be doing a lesson for our local Boy Scouts followed up with the cantacorist antics of the local Rotarians. Tomorow I am taking the day off to spend it with one of my dear friends.

My poor son and GF though, they have had such bad luck at that new place. Their apt was broken into...the good news is that they are moving..they found a place close to me(I think Honey had something to do with it) Anyway, the kids are moving back to our town and THAT is all the Christmas I need.

I'll peep in later today.Happy day!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good news, Icer.  I know you'll rest a lot easier when they're in an area you know is safe.  Tell them they're just getting all the bad luck out of the way in 2010 and that 2011 will bring nothing but good things.

Funny, about Kargiver's BIL and my anti-social toilet seat - sounds like they were made for each other!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, too bad I didn't draw his name in the Christmas drawing!!!!! LOL!!!!  Innocent

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  Kar, that stinks about the declined card.  That happaned to my ATM card once and I didn't know they cancelled it right away.  I was horrified at the CVS, more so because I work for a bank and was just so embrassed. 

We finshed the tree and here it is. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning ladies,
    Lots of Christmas "traffic" on the thread, and here am I - out of the loop - trying to run a business. I am glad you all are doing well.
    tt, you toilet seat story is hilarious, and who else but Icer would figure out it would be a perfect gift for Kar's BIL. I actually have a broken one too. Just in case you need and extra stocking stuffer, Kar. And I think your BIL will be happier with this color anyway - it is Antic Tea Rose, just the right guy color (LOL). One has to place ones **** just right on it - or else. Fortunately it is not in our guest powder room, so I don't have to worry about any law suits. I have been trying to order a new one. The color and shape is not readily available. Will have to wait for DH to come home.

Icer, I am sorry to hear your son was broken into. Hopefully, they were insured and the damage not too bad. But it is always awful to have someone else rummaging through your stuff. I am sure you must be thrilled, they are moving closer to you. I would be, but of course I can only dream.

Kar, please keep the snow, where your are. I have a lot of business errands to take care of today. So far no flakes, and I don't want them either. You are such a good mama to Gracie. Snow boots? Had never heard of them, when we had a dog. But of course that is a long time ago. I also think your SIL is lucky to have YOU pick her number. You seem to care so much for her. Bless you my dear.

BG, I do hope your daughter will be well enough to come home for Christmas. But please don't push it. She is much better off, where she is right now, until she will be able to handle the real world. Christmas or not. Please be assured, my heart aches for you and my prayers will continue wishing your DD and you a getting back to normalcy. It must not be an easy thing for a mom to watch, but you did give her the best ways to recover. That is really all you can do. Now it is up to her to take it from there, no matter how difficult it might be for her.
    Best wishes to everyone on this cool December day.
    Will try to chat later - Pingo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, gorgeous tree!  I honestly can't tell if the lights were fixed or not...was DH able to do so?  If not, no problem!!

Pingo, oh, yes, a pink and broken one - perfect!  Maybe I'll draw his name next year.  I could always rig it...LOL.  Oh, yes, I was sooooooo happy to have gotten dear SIL's name, and I love her like my own blood.  My DH did the drawing out of my presence, and I asked if it was fixed.  He assured me it was random!  I've had to beat him away from his sister's chocolate. 

I'll try to wrangle the snow and keep it here in the hills.  Tiny, swirling flakes are still drifting down our way.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar, he is not back from his trip until Friday night, so they are not fixed yet. If he can't fix it that's find it can be a project for next year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, sorry, I missed that; I thought I read he was returning last night for some reason. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

All of your toilet seat stories are giving me a good giggle this morning.

The tree looks great Winter.  Icer, sorry about your son's break-in.  I hope nothing sentimental or irreplaceable was taken.  Good news that he's moving closer to you though. 

BG - I hope that DD is well enough to come home before 12/25, but if that is not meant to be, remember that Christmas can be moved.  DS does not live with us full time, so every other year we "have Christmas" on a day that is not December 25.  The calendar is not nearly as important as celebrating together.  AS always, good thoughts to you and her.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Out and back with new "fixture".  If anyone  has a KMart near them, found they are having 40-50% off Christmas decorations.  Found the snow blankets I have been looking for, and instead of $5, only $2.50.  Picked up 3 at that price.  Yesterday I had bought a couple of white plastic tablecloths to use in place of.  They were el cheapo, don't even know if I'll bother going back to Salem to return them.  Not on my list of places to go in the next couple of weeks.

Beautiful, beautiful tree, Winter.  I'm going to be so hesitant to post pic of my little one when it's decorated.  But that's alright, we, Cheerio and I, love it.

There was a lot of crazy drivers out this morning, go figure.  First time I have run into that.  Thinking of a couple of other local runs I could make, but would really like to "happen" to be here when son stops by to do repairs.  Don't get to see him too often, and my call for help, said to stop by at his convenience, as long as it's before Friday's lunch.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Icer, sorry about your DS's break in.

BG, Christmas, being full of sweets and fancy, rich food and well meaning relatives encouraging them all to be enjoyed is a very difficult time for an anorexic especially someone newly diagnosed and just starting to struggle through recovery.  If she's in the program beyond Christmas, I hope you'll consider it a very difficult blessing for her.  Next Christmas should be dramatically different for her after a year of  active recovery efforts.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Have a table top skaters pond display that I haven't put up in a few years.  Set that up after getting my snow blanket this morning.  Skaters skate, lampposts light, and Christmas carols play.  Watched Cheerio to see her reaction, but none.  Now I'll drag down the boxes that have my little people in them and set them up around.  I've gotten rid of a lot of decorations, but still have so much that's accumulated over the years.  If I ever moved I'd have to get rid of even more.

Sun is coming out here, so even tho temps are low, not too bad a day to have to do errands.  If son is going to stop by will probably be in the next hour or so, so will busy myself with setting things up, and think about going out later.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks for the compliments on the tree.  Novembride I hear you on changing Christmas a little.  Lucky for me I have my son either Christmas Eve or all day Christmas Day.  I do get him Christmas morning this year so I'm excited. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

We used to do it that way too Winter, but it got to be too much to shuffle on Christmas morning. We switched a couple of years ago to both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day every other year.  Its our year this year and I am very excited too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

We generally have about 5 different Christmases - 3 on my husband's side and a couple on mine.  His side, because of divorce and mine because my family is so darn big!  It's mostly fun, and you can give multiples of some gifts because one side doesn't know wheat you gave to the other.

I am working today, which means I have to delay my shopping and planning another day or two.  Sometimes I wish I had a full time job, but at Christmas how nice it is to have lots of time!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Lemoncoke,
    5 Christmas parties? Do you host them? That would definitely exhaust me. Do you exchange gifts at all of them?

These days I host only two. One for our very immediate family on the 24th, my real Christmas - and one for my husbands family and a few friends on the 25th. Even though the "few friends" are shrinking. Their families have just become much too large for me to accommodate. I know, they may be disappointed, but I didn't have much choice. 2 parents and 3 children has evolved to 17 people. Large enough to have their own party. I truly love them all and will have them over at some other time, just the clan alone - while the tree is still up. I always keep it up until after Epiphany.
    When younger, I would also have an earlier party for neighbors and one later on for employees with their spouses. But now that I am "old", I have cut down a lot. I just do not have the stamina any more.
    No other neighbor ever invite - so why should I? They are all truly nice people, but entertaining is apparently not their thing.
    As for our employees, we now take them out for lunch instead, and give them 1/2 day off with pay for Christmas shopping. They all seem to like that much better. But this year, it will be more like a New Year lunch, since "dear heart" is traveling.
    So difficult to please everyone - Pingo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, you are a dear to have hosted them so long.  But, life changes, and that fact has not escaped them, either.  Of course, they will miss the old tradition, but in its place will spring a new tradition for their much larger family that will become much beloved, as well.

And, you do not owe the neighbors and employees a party in your home.  Neighbors should take turns if they are so inclined, imo, and your "holiday" lunch for your people is lovely!

Lemoncoke, I do hope you don't host all 5 parties!  I can't imagine...I'm already starting to think about what we'll serve for the one small, family party at our house on Christmas Day...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

I usually host only one!  It used to be a big party, but has shrunk since people have gotten older and moved away - physically or psychically!  I think I might be hosting Christmas eve this year too.  I won't mind that, i love Christmas Eve!  and then we go to church at 11.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, you always sounds so positive. Bless you my dear. I truly love you for that. You make me so comfortable, when I am venting. Thanks for your input.
    This particular family, I mentioned, goes back a long, long time. Actually before we married. They themselves didn't think anything of the stress their growing family put on me (and the latest news are, that they are still producing).
    I can surely tell you, it wasn't easy to make changes. DH was most unhappy about it. He and I hardly ever fight - and still we don't. Truly! But when I put this in front of him a few years ago, he didn't speak to me for a few days - then he came back and told me, "You are so right!" I was the one, who let all this stress happen, in order to please him. Sometimes it is good to speak up.
    I am hoping it is a thing in the past, but I still feel awkward, when Christmas rolls around. Too many memories. But I am not able to do, what I once was able to.
    - Pingo