December Chat 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: December Chat 2010

Kar,
    My DIL sent me a piece of blue cheese and a piece of Esrom cheese (a semi soft Danish cheese, have no idea where she found it) to delight me, while DH is gone. But unfortunately, I share your affinity for cheese, and I gobbled it all up for one dinner on the flat breads she sent me.  I know, not a good thing, but oh! how I loved it :) :) :) Guess I have a cheese addiction. And how much I loved her for sending it. - Pingo

Do you have a special cheese store you go to? I would love to know about it. I can order on line, but their charges is usually totally out of line. I wouldn't mind to drive a few miles for it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Celia,
    Thanks for posting this link. I checked into it, but didn't find anything discouraging the feral cats to destroy "my" birds.
    I am hoping you can give me a better link - I am still feeling sick after discovering all those shredded feathers. - Pingo

I a In Response to Re: December Chat 2010:
    pingo - I saw this article and thought of you. hope that you find it helpful. http://www.massaudubon.org/Nature_Connection/attractingbirds.php
    Posted by Celia2

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Pingo,

Did you see my suggestion on the animal rescue league that can set traps?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I certainly did, Amber. And I thank you for your suggestion. But I have this problem with killing animals. However, I may have to resort to it. This morning there was another bird shredded into pieces - plus a dead mouse.
    I do know feral cats are wild, and their instinct are to kill birds and catch mice. However, I do not appreciate the leftovers on my front stoop.
    I was mostly looking for something that could advert them from taking residence there. Anyone know? - Pingo
    In Response to Re: December Chat 2010:
    Pingo, Did you see my suggestion on the animal rescue league that can set traps?
    Posted by ambergirl

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I agree with the killing of animals, but sadly they cannot be rehibilitated.  I get more angry at the person(s) who let this happen.  The people who do not spay or neuter their cats and don't want the kittens and let them loose.  I don't know how you can get rid of them to be honest but if you find you need to have them trapped and taken away, you certainly wouldn't get any judgement from me.  You may be doing them a favor with the cold/stormy weather coming. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

pingo - I missed your post about the cats. I looked back on the thread and didn't see it. Are you sure it's cats and not hawks? Hawks will be attracted to hunt around bird feeders for easy pickings especially once the snow hits and the ground animals go to ground so to speak. Usually all that you find from a hawk strike is a few feathers. I've probably lost more birds to hawks than cats. (My cats always made presents of any of their kills. Birds were rare but we got a lot of voles and chipmunks.) When my cats were outdoor cats I made sure that I didn't put any food near the edge of the bushes where my cats liked to lurk. Usually if a bird is healthy then it's unlikely to be caught by a cat. Not so for hawk strikes which all depends on the hawk's hunting skill. Once while playing outside a hawk swooped down on a mouse (?) right next to us. It was there in a flash and gone in another second. We never saw the mouse and we were a lot closer to it than the hawk had been. The only way to get a hawk to stop hunting around your bird feeder is to stop feeding the birds for a couple of weeks. The hawk will go away once the birds do. But once you start feeding again it won't be long until the hawk discovers that the feeding ground is back. Same would be true if it's feral cats doing the hunting.

Some of the pet stores sell products to discourage animals from hanging around. You sprinkle/spray it on the ground. Not sure how effective the products are because I haven't used them. I know that they are marketed to people who want to keep cats out of their gardens.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

"I was mostly looking for something that could advert them from taking residence there. Anyone know? - Pingo"

Perhaps this is your perfect opportunity to get a dog?  To keep away the cats and the prowlers.

Psst... I hope you read that in the joking manner in which it was intended.  I have no solutions but hoped to put a smile on your face as I can sense how distressing this situation is for you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

Try sprinkling  ground up hot peppers on the steps!  And don't go out there without shoes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Celia,
    Could very well be the hawks. We have a few swooping around, even though we have not seen them lately. But that is not to be, that they are not there. And we have seen them diving down in a flash - no wonder they call it "eye like a hawk". But on my front porch? Would the hawks come that close? And would they leave mice there?
    Lemon, I will look into the sprinkles. I have plenty of chili powder on hand - will try that tonight. Thanks for the suggestion - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

pingo - If something is leaving your "presents" of dead mice or birds then it's likely that it is a cat. Although it would be unusual for a feral cat to do it because of their fear of humans. I think the pepper idea is a good one. You may not save any birds but it should prevent any more unwanted presents showing up on your doorstep.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Kar, My DIL sent me a piece of blue cheese and a piece of Esrom cheese (a semi soft Danish cheese, have no idea where she found it) to delight me, while DH is gone. But unfortunately, I share your affinity for cheese, and I gobbled it all up for one dinner on the flat breads she sent me.  I know, not a good thing, but oh! how I loved it :) :) :) Guess I have a cheese addiction. And how much I loved her for sending it. - Pingo Do you have a special cheese store you go to? I would love to know about it. I can order on line, but their charges is usually totally out of line. I wouldn't mind to drive a few miles for it.
    Posted by pingo

Oh, how lovely a gift from your dear DIL!   I'd (obviously) have scarfed it down immediately, as well.

I wish I had a spot that had a bigger selection, but I'm impressed with and drive to a place in Worcester that has delicious and somewhat rare (not sure if they have that Danish cheese) things as well as a huge selection of specialty beer, wine, liquor, and some artisan candy/chocolate.  You could make a very nice basket for someone who is so inclined to enjoy such things there.  It's where I buy my Maytag blue cheese and the Abbey Ale by Ommegang brewery that I enjoy now and then.

If that's a drive for you, I'd call ahead for what you're looking for.  I drive 30 minutes to get there and find it a reasonable investment of driving for what they have, but keep in mind I have to drive everywhere...my local IGA doesn't have anything remotely considered special.

K J Barrons Fine Wine & Spirit

(508) 753-3400

340 Main St
    Worcester, MA 01608

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    Thank you my dear for that address. Even though it will be a ride for me, I will take a ride out there just to see, what they have. I am sure there will be something for my taste buds. DH love cheese as well (even though I think, I made him like them), so I will have him come along. And if I see Gracie and your granite birth bath, we will stop by to say "Hello".
    I was trying to copy a picture of us visiting a cheese store at the Italian market in PB. But I couldn't do it (I still have something to learn). But they had all the cheese one could imagine. We went "wild".
    Unfortunately one cannot import the Danish cheese because they are not preserved like the cheese you get here. Our government is afraid of the listeria bacillus. Not that it  is harming anyone in Europe. But that is just the way itis. I am just sad, that the Americans do not know, what delicate cheeses, they are missing.
    How is your aps tower coming along? - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I wish you the best on your trip!  They have a rather small selection of cheese - it's more of a liquor store that has a cheese case, but I believe you'll enjoy it.  We'll be here,  but the store is 30 minutes Southeast of us, probably not on your way. :(  Too bad about the unpasturized cheese being not allowed!  Why can't we decide for ourselves what we think is safe? Sad.

I haven't given the tree another thought today.  I went to Wrentham to exchange a shirt I bought my bro for Christmas for a smaller size (upon recommendation of DH) and picked up a bunch of other gifts.  Came home at 5 to a cold, hungry puppy! 

DH is at the company party tonight, no spouses allowed.  I hope he's having fun!!  He's not really a big party person especially without his outgoing, party girl by his side. ;)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh Kar, company party and no spouses allowed? That is so terrible. What company allow that? Have a party WITH spouses or don't have one. I know for sure, my DH would not have attended. No wonder there is a lot of break ups during the holiday parties, if this is what he companies are doing.  It makes me so angry, just thinking about it.
    Whenever our company celebrate any occasion, we always invite spouses/girlfriends/live-ins etc. That's the way it should be. - Pingo

I wish you the best on your trip!  They have a rather small selection of cheese - it's more of a liquor store that has a cheese case, but I believe you'll enjoy it.  We'll be here,  but the store is 30 minutes Southeast of us, probably not on your way. :(  Too bad about the unpasturized cheese being not allowed!  Why can't we decide for ourselves what we think is safe? Sad. I haven't given the tree another thought today.  I went to Wrentham to exchange a shirt I bought my bro for Christmas for a smaller size (upon recommendation of DH) and picked up a bunch of other gifts.  Came home at 5 to a cold, hungry puppy!  DH is at the company party tonight, no spouses allowed.  I hope he's having fun!!  He's not really a big party person especially without his outgoing, party girl by his side. ;)
    Posted by kargiver

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Hi All, I am just catching up with everyones post's, Yesterday I posted that if anyone noticed an anxious middle aged woman around the Longwood Medical area, give her a smile. Today, a woman turned to me at a stoplight, and said she loved my coat, gave me a wonderful smile, and has no idea how she made my day. Takecare bg
    Posted by beastsgirl

Isn't it amazing how when we need a lift there is always someone, usually a stranger to give us a hello or a smile as we go on our way.....I love people, I talk to most everyone, my DH is always telling me I shouldn't talk to strangers, I tell him that was for when I was a youngster,strangers are only friends we havent met yet...ss

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, it's too bad we spouses weren't invited; I'm glad I don't have to worry about anything other than his being pretty tired on the way home.  We're a couple of hours from Boston, and you can't leave a cruise early.  I'm with you, if you can't afford to have spouses, you shouldn't have a real, fancy party, like a Boston harbor cruise.  But, c'est la vie.  I'm enjoying SNL, Best of David Spade, and DH would hate that. LOL

I talk to strangers ALL the time!  At Wrentham today, as I was arriving, a lady in her 40s looking weary was leaving with a few buldging bags, and I gave her a warm, "Success!"  And, she lit up with a huge smile and said, "Yeah!"  Just a couple of seconds, but she went from tired and down to smiling and bouncy!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    Hope DH came home safely. Boston Harbor Cruise for a company party? Whoever planned that must have had rocks in the head. I think my DH would have tried to excused himself, especially with two hours drive home.
    I chat with people in the stores too. Yesterday I met a woman in S & S. She was looking for a turkey breast. Then she asked me how to cook it. I told her about Ina Gartens roulade, I made at TG and before I knew, she asked the butcher to butterfly the breast. Then she thanked me profusely, wished me a Merry Christmas and went happily on her way.
    tt must be all busy this morning getting ready for her company today. Wish her everything goes well.
    Cold again this morning. Had to go outside and fill my feeder this morning and for the first time, I had a frosty coat on everything. Maybe it snowed or rained a bit last night. Have to get to the office early today. Fortunately it is Saturday tomorrow, so I have a couple of days to recover. And then on Monday, my Texas son will be here. Have a nice day and stay warm - Pingo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I got you perfectly well, November. Thanks!

"I was mostly looking for something that could advert them from taking residence there. Anyone know? - Pingo" Perhaps this is your perfect opportunity to get a dog?  To keep away the cats and the prowlers. Psst... I hope you read that in the joking manner in which it was intended.  I have no solutions but hoped to put a smile on your face as I can sense how distressing this situation is for you.
    Posted by Novembride

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone sorry for being off the grid.  I don't have a computer at home at the moment.  I've had this knee injury which I thought was minor.  Had an MRI and it turns out that a have severely torn my ACL and MCL.  So I go into surgery on the 23rd.  There is a chance I'll be in a brace and won't be able to dance at my wedding in 8 weeks, but I'm hoping that won't happen.  To make matters worse DH (Dear heart :) ) called and his flight from Denmark to Switzerland was cancelled and he has no idea when he'll be in.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, Winter,

Just finished setting my table and came in to turn on the computer and sit a bit before giving the l.r. one last try at clearing all the cat dander away (one of my girlfriends is severely allergic to cats) - and read your post.  I'm so sorry.  How long will you be laid up in the hospital?  They do so many surgeries and releases in a day or two now - thank God you have been so efficient in getting everything taken care of for the wedding.  What about the move ?  Timing is everything, isn't it?  Wishing the very best outcome in your surgery, and also the arrival back home of DH.  You certainly need his support right now.  I'll hold you in my thoughts.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh no, Winter - my heart is aching with yours. Wishing you the very best with your knee surgery, hope you will have the best surgeon ever and recover quickly.
    Knee surgery usually takes a long time to heal. I am sure you must know that.

They are having so much snow in Europe. Lots and lots of cancellations. I am worried about my two guys, having a lay-over in Frankfurt on the 23rd. Just hate travelling at this time of the year. Hopefully they (yours and mine) will not have too much trouble and be at home in time for your surgery and for Christmas. I am sure your DH must be out of his mind at this point. Poor guy. Hopefully he will find a flight home. Prayers all around - Pingo

Good morning everyone sorry for being off the grid.  I don't have a computer at home at the moment.  I've had this knee injury which I thought was minor.  Had an MRI and it turns out that a have severely torn my ACL and MCL.  So I go into surgery on the 23rd.  There is a chance I'll be in a brace and won't be able to dance at my wedding in 8 weeks, but I'm hoping that won't happen.  To make matters worse DH (Dear heart :) ) called and his flight from Denmark to Switzerland was cancelled and he has no idea when he'll be in.
    Posted by Winter2011Bride

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks tt and Pingo.  The surgery is day surgery I guess.  Because it's my right foot I can not drive for at least 10 days...so I can not work.  Luckily my son is home on school vacation, but I'm sure he won't want to be stuck inside.  Not sure what will happen with the move now, we'll take it one day at a time. As for the wedding, eveything is set with plans, but we've been taking ball room dancing and I so hope to be able to do it, but my goal at this point is that I don't have to wear the ugly brace. 

I guess Switzerland is the problem and there are thousands of people stranded in Copenhagen trying to get out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, please keep your hopes up. If it is only Zurich, the airlines should be able to direct their flights elsewhere. They don't want to pay the landing fee for more than necessary. Best of luck - Pingo

Thanks tt and Pingo.  The surgery is day surgery I guess.  Because it's my right foot I can not drive for at least 10 days...so I can not work.  Luckily my son is home on school vacation, but I'm sure he won't want to be stuck inside.  Not sure what will happen with the move now, we'll take it one day at a time. As for the wedding, eveything is set with plans, but we've been taking ball room dancing and I so hope to be able to do it, but my goal at this point is that I don't have to wear the ugly brace.  I guess Switzerland is the problem and there are thousands of people stranded in Copenhagen trying to get out.
    Posted by Winter2011Bride

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I am sure you must be in a frenzy this morning to get everything "just right". But I know you have planned everything so well, that your party will take off w/o a hinge.
    How many guests are you expecting? Hope you will show us a picture of the tree, when all decorated. I think it is such a lovely idea, having friends decorate your tree. Did you serve my Gluewine? Your girlfriends would have loved it. A real tree decorating drink. LOL
    Hope you are having a great time. Please check in w/ us later. - Pingo
    Good morning, Winter, Just finished setting my table and came in to turn on the computer and sit a bit before giving the l.r. one last try at clearing all the cat dander away (one of my girlfriends is severely allergic to cats) - and read your post.  I'm so sorry.  How long will you be laid up in the hospital?  They do so many surgeries and releases in a day or two now - thank God you have been so efficient in getting everything taken care of for the wedding.  What about the move ?  Timing is everything, isn't it?  Wishing the very best outcome in your surgery, and also the arrival back home of DH.  You certainly need his support right now.  I'll hold you in my thoughts.
    Posted by toytrumpet

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm  here right now, Pingo.  Taking a break.  No frenzy, these are just 3 of my girlfriends.  Get together with them all separately, except when I have them for Christmas lunch, and then take care of that with a group get together. They all get along and seem to enjoy each other's company.

Just took the pastry shells out and the tops off to cool.  Individual salads are made and chilling.  Will start the chicken ala king (have a wonderful recipe for that) in a couple of minutes.  Cheese and crackers and fresh pineapple chunks are ready to put out for nibbles.  No gluwine - we're all older ladies, and they will be driving.  Have a couple of bottles of sparkling apple cider.  Made it really easy on myself for dessert and bought one of those Friendly's fancy ice cream rolls.  I think we'll all enjoy having the cold dessert after the rich cream chicken dish.  We're not a fancy group, just a bunch of everyday ladies who enjoy the simple things in life. - Speaking of which the yard is loaded with birds today.  So glad because none of them have feeders and they enjoy looking out on them from my kitchen table - added entertainment.

Sections
Shortcuts