December Chat 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: December Chat 2010

tt, yes I do order them from the butcher. The problem is they come in 6 or 8 to a shipment. The butcher I am dealing with is really, really nice. He used to take them home for the holidays, but there are hardly any takers - except for me, the odd ball. LOL
    But he always try to get them for me. One Christmas, he told me to go to such and such store, b/c they were available there. Nice guy.
    I did tell my family, we someday may have to have a Christmas w/o ducks. Will not be a happy one, I tell you. But I will tell them, some people do not have anything to eat for Christmas.
    I am quite surprised, that no one here cooks them. They are soooo delicious, much better than the dried out turkey.
    Oh, well - have a happy visit with Lilly. Got to get going before the banks close.
    - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Christmas saved! The ducks were in this morning, when I stopped by. The butcher saw me, and he was one big smile, "I told you, I would get them for you." Made sure i picked up some chicken livers too - so I can use the duck livers to make a duck liver pate. Yummy!
    Somehow everything suddenly fell together. SIL called this morning, they will be here on the 26th with my niece's two boys visiting from AZ. They generally come for Christmas, but the boys are staying with their paternal grandparents while here, and they are having a large get-together with that family on Christmas. We are kind of several tiers down in that respect.
    I am kind of thrilled by that. That means we will have a relaxed Christmas Eve on our own, then Smorgas board on Christmas day. The following day we will entertain the family. Yeah!
    While at S&S I picked up one of their lobster rolls ($4.49). It was good - not like Red's, but pretty good. I was hungry, I guess.
    Now on to TJ's while the weather is still nice. I was quite surprised how "warm" it felt stepping outside. I guess anything warmer than the past few days will feel good.
    Chat later - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My company just left and I am so stiff.  Bad weather must be coming, regardless of what they say.

Went to Michael's where my DIL picked up the art supplies she wanted, and I got the two kids that were along each a couple of little things $2 items.  10 yr. old entertained us when we got home with his newly learned magic tricks!  There was enough of the chicken ala king left for DIL, and I made up the Kraft packet mac and cheese for the kids and me.  Special dessert was the remains of the ice cream roll, which I luckily got just 4 slices.  In the meantime, youngest son's dau called to ask if she could come over tomorrow to make sugar cut out cookies.  I hope I'm moving better than today.  Don't envy DIL driving home, we just were on Route 1 and that was bumper to bumper, I can imagine what 128 is like, especially when she gets near the Burlington Mall exits.

Snowmen went home gladly according to DIL, so one less bag for me to put back in the attic.  Sent along the remains of the mac and cheese to appease my son.

Glad your ducks came in, pingo, one less thing to worry about.  I'm still hunting for my chicken kielbasa.

Have dishes to rinse and put in dishwasher, and then I'm done for the day.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, so glad you had a nice day with your DIL and Lilly - even though you didn't mentioned her. Did she come? Is your Hedgie still with you?

I was with my nose in the toilet cleaning it, when TX son called. Had a nice long chat. I needed that. He can be so funny and always lift my spirit. Was worried about a gift for his wife. Now I have to think for both of us.

I have several watercolors, I could frame and give as gifts. I already have the frames and the mats. Would that be cheesy?

S &S in Reading have the chicken Kielbasa (at least they had them this morning). They were out of them for a long time, so I kept asking for them, and they got them for me. I picked up 3 and froze 2. The butcher there has now become my fast friend. LOL
    Well, he likes to talk and so do I. We exchange recipes and such.
    When I met a stranger the other day looking for a turkey breast - (see my earlier post), he was so excited to butterfly her turkey breast. I butterflied one myself, but the next time - I will let him do it.
    You know, it is always a good thing to make friends with the the people behind the counters. They are the people that keep the stores going, but usually get very little attention. If you befriend them, they will usually go out of the way to please you. I used to have a great relationship with the fish man in Shaw's on the Parkway. Unfortunately they closed and now I am lost. Have to build a relation ship with a new fish monger, I guess.
    Back to my house cleaning. - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yes, Lilly came, as did her older brother.  They were the "kids" I talked about in my post.  The skaters were of little interest to either of them, and Hedgie made no impression at all other than the candy he held.  Neither did they have any interest in trimming the tree, but thankfully my DIL put the rest of the ornaments up.  They are sharing a tree with Lilly's folks who live downstairs, so I think she kind of missed the trimming aspect.

Just layed down for an hour, with Cheerio jumping up and lying on my stomach.  We kept each other nice and warm, her purring away, and giving me a hard time when I finally tried to knock her off so I could get up and get in my p.j.s.  She's now taken over what she considers the warmest spot of the couch, which I'm sure she feels I made just for her.  Want a little something warm to eat, but not sure what.  Maybe just a couple of slices of toast and a cuppa.

Nice you had the surprise call from your son.  My phone rang mid afternoon and I answered, but no one there.  Couldn't help but wonder if it was one of mine.  The idea of giving your water colors as Christmas gifts, is a great one.  Who wouldn't be happy to receive a heartfelt expression as that?

The dishwasher is thankfully taking care of all the dishes, pots and pans involved in lunch.  I've a small kitchen with little counter space and it doesn't take much to make it look like a bomb hit. Thanks for the tip where I can find the kielbasa.

Off I go to fix a little nourishment and maybe a nice hot cup of peppermint tea.  Somehow that sounds soothing to me and my tired body.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Looks like I have missed plenty today!  I'll have to read later, just online to look up a recipe.  And, Pingo, wanted to mention that I bought Clementines at Big Y and asked them to peel one!  The produce guy was really nice and didn't seem put out in the slightest.  It was fabulous, and, of course, I bought the box.

More later after I catch up! 

~kar

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh tt, hope your visit with Lilly was not too much of a disappointment for you. I know sometimes we expect more than actually happen. At least you still have the cute hedgehog. Somehow I feel, this visit didn't go as you wanted it to happen.
    I have no grandchildren yet, but I do enjoy my nieces and nephews children. They are all the greatest.
    However, sometimes when they leave, I will ask myself, "What did I miss in this picture." They are all so way ahead of us.
    Now, I try not to expect too much and I also don't do special things for them anymore. Not an easy thing for me to do, believe me. I can tell you stories, where I felt so crushed. But I won't. Life goes on and we can't change it. - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from curveballhitter. Show curveballhitter's posts

i like figs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday Morning,

Cars around here are covered with frost and the sky is so grey - but I can see one bright spot where the sun is trying to peek through.

Yesterday wasn't a disappointment,  Pingo, so much as both Lilly and I being in different places than her last visit.  I was stiff, in pain, and tired from not sleeping, and Lilly had to be the loudest person on Earth, fresh, full of the devil!  We weren't in shape, either one of us, to cope with the other!  We did both resort back to our usual selves tho, when she reached for my hand coming out of Michael's.

Have margarine warming to room temp to get the dough ready for my 6 year old granddaughter who will be over today to make sugar cookies.  Picked up some more red and green sprinkles in Michael's yesterday, and there's an array of Christmas theme cookie cutters, some from when I was a kid and made them with my mother, plus a small running gingerbread man I ordered last week.  I've some white piping I'll let her outline him with.

Hard to believe Christmas is less than a week away.  Glad all the gift shopping is done.  Thursday I'll grocery shop for the shrimp, kielbasa and some fresh fruit.  My son dropped off a box of the ribbon candy that I told him I'd been looking everywhere for and couldn't find.  DIL found it at Christmas Tree Shop.  The only other tradition missing are the petit fours.  Used to be a Hickory Farms stand at each mall at Christmas.  My mother started that tradition way back when.  Don't have any of those either.  Last time I bought a box they were $17, but for the sake of tradition, always had them to put out, more for memories of Nana for my boys.  Toyed with the idea of simply making some, but realistically I know I don't have the time with all else to do to get ready.  I'd want them to be perfect, and perfection seems to be something I don't have patience for of late.

Off I go to get breakfast.  Cheerio howled outside the bathroom door while I showered, not sure if it was because she's used to being the first person I take care of when I get up, or if the steam escaping under the door makes her nervous.  I more think the latter.  So, anyway, she's fed, now just some oatmeal and coffee for me and then start the dough so it can chill.  Noticed on one of the food channels that they rolled out the dough and then chilled it, instead of the way I've always done it - form it into 3 balls, chill for a couple of hours, and then roll.  I'll give their way a try and see how that works out.  chat later.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning tt,
    How are you feeling this morning? Still aching?
    Re: Petite Fours? You are right they are so hard to find. Last Easter, I ordered them on line (I think William Sonoma) to have them sent to TX. I almost fell off my chair, when I saw, what they charged. We also always used to have them for the holidays. After a big heavy meal many people do not want a big dessert, but it is nice to pickup a little something sweet. Since I cannot find them now, I serve small cream puffs instead. Many stores have them in their freezers. I take them out to thaw, pile them up on a pretty plate, then sift some confectioners sugar over them - and voila, dessert served. There are never any left.
    Hope you will have a good time to make sugar cookies today. Wish I had someone make cookies with me. I am not sure, what is happening in the baby department. Have a feeling our DIL do not want children. She is a dancer, and OMG the world would stop turning, if she would get out of shape. I know our son goes crazy with children around. He loves them and they love him. Have stopped asking questions.
    Have a few errands to do today and some more cleaning to do. Will keep me busy. Looking forward to pick up son tomorrow.
    The world travelers are doing well, they will be here on the 23rd - Yeah!
    Chat later - Pingo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Like your idea of cream puffs.  I'll add them to my list to check out, altho there are plenty of sweets already baked to put out, they certainly would be more festive - with a little confec sugar sprinkled over as you suggest.  We all do continue to learn from each other on Chat.  Sometimes just a simple idea that we ourselves never thought of.

Seems as tho your husband and son have been gone a long time.  Bet the 23rd can't come fast enough for you.  How long will the son coming in tomorrow stay?

Granddaughter called at quarter of nine wanting to know when she could come over.  I gave her a time of 11:00, hoping the dough will be ready by then .  Know she will want her usual lunch of pasta with butter.  Plan on taking some ibuprofin before she gets here.  Not supposed to take anything except Tylenol, but we all know how little that does for any kind of pain.  I have to be comfortable today and able to enjoy this little one.  Good luck with your shopping.  I'm sure the major roads will be as bad as they were yesterday.  Glad I'm in and done.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, sorry to hear you are still in pain. I am not doing so great myself this morning either. Already took a couple of Motrins. Probably weather change like you said. Please hold off the snow until tmw. evening.

TX son will be here until the 29th. Then he and his wife will go back together. Give us a few days to enjoy each other, but I am mostly looking forward for the couple of days before Christmas to spend with him alone. He is such good company. He would have come earlier, but had some important business to take care of. Whatever I get, I will appreciate. I liked your comment in one of your other posts. Whoever comes to pick me up, I enjoy. That is pretty much the way I feel.
    The world travelers are both looking forward to come home for Christmas. I sent them a picture of the ducks, I bought. They were both so thrilled.

Glad you liked my cream puffs idea. Go for it! If you have a chance to go to Costco, they carry them as well in a larger box for a lot less. That is where I usually buy them. You can take out as many as you want and leave the rest in your freezer for the next time around. But grocery stores do have them. I have also in the past dribbled them with melted chocolate or caramel, but I like the confec sugar the best, it doesn't make a mess.
    How are the sugar cookies coming out? - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Happy Sunday Chat friends!  Hope the cookie making is going well TT.  Your house must smell delicious.  And Pingo, I hope you will let us know how you prepare the ducks.  I will ofter order duck when it is anoption at a restaurant but have never even thought to try to make it.  Is it much different to roast than a chicken or turkey?

AFM - I just finished my Christmas shopping!  I managed to get everything without going to one of the big malls, and then wouldn't you know it, DH needed a bank errand to be done and the only one open is in the mall!  What a zoo that parking lot was, but DH's schedule gets so busy this time of year, how could I not do that errand for him?  I'm acutally at his shop now hoping to steal a lunch date with him. 

Puppy came along for errands, as one was to go get his nails trimmed, and is now snoozing in front of the heater.  Petsmart is having photos with Santa today and I'm debating taking him back to get one done.  All proceeds go to charity, so it'll be a nice thing to do.

If I can get my wrapping finished this afternoon or tonight, that gives me three evenings and all of Thursday to bake! So far my list consists of only chocolate chip cookies and some treats for the dogs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Good morning all! Curveball hitter, good to know tou love figs, they are actually very healthy,lots of vitamins and fiber.   November, Oh I would love to see a photo of pup with Santa!! Please do!! Shopping still not done. I do try to shop small local businesses, but with D.D."s health issue, it was easier to do internet shopping. Goota go,wuill check back later. bg.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Your house must smell delicious." 

"House smells delicious", is just what granddaughter's father said when he walked in to pick her up.   He ate about 3 cookies off the cooling rack, and hadn't even seen the iced ones she created.   Ibuprofin did it's trick and we had a lovely day.  Rolling out the dough before chilling it, makes it so much easier to lift the cut outs onto the parchment paper.  Icer, you've probably known that secret for years, but I always chilled my dough in balls and then rolled it out after a couple of hours.  Learn something new every day.

Got some cute pics of her too, so I'm pleased because I seldom get copies from them, now I have my own.

Off to clean up the kitchen, then perhaps start bagging up the Christmas baskets.

Bg, go easy on yourself, I don't know how you are even concentrating on gift buying just now.  Keeping fingers crossed for you for a happy family day.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, glad to hear you had a great afternoon with your grand daughter.
    I have told you this before, I get all confused with your family tree. So, Lilly must be a great grand daughter of yours, and her Nana is your DIL. Right? How lucky you are, being young and still have all those little ones in all ages.
    I just came back from shopping for my Christmas groceries. Now, have everything in the house, except for the perishables. Big load off my chest. Saw, they still have a couple of chicken kielbasas at S&S (Reading) - wish I could have picked one up for you.
    One disappointment. TJ was all out of the Oreo Peppermint Cookies, my TX son loves. I did send some to him in his care package for TG and I do have my cookie jar full of them. But they are not fresh and I wanted to use them for my truffles. Truffles will have to wait for some other time. No Peppermint Slim Pretzels either. The store clerk said, they flew out of the store.
    One thing I was really surprised by was, that even though the parking lots were packed, the traffic was so light both on Rt. 128 and Rt.1 --- good for me. I usually hate to get back on Rt. 1 from TJ's - but today it was so easy. My husband is shaking his head, whenever we go there. Don't understand how they got permission for a "curb cut" there. Someone must have paid some big money for it. Oh well, that is how the municipalities grind, I guess.
    Going to put away my groceries. Have a nice evening - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Hi everyone! Hope everyone had a nice weekend. I feel like I'm SO far behind Christmas. The one good thing, (or bad thing) is that I do work best under pressure. Last Christmas was so different than this year. We had a huge, successful, party in our home, attended a fewother parties, and family gatherings on Christmas day. This year,because of D.D.'s health problems, our priorities were different. At one point last week, I felt kinda low. I have been reading your posts, and I did get some Christmas spirit back again.We visited D.D. today, have a meeting tomorrow, and hopefully, she will be home for Christmas for good. I really do appreciate all your kind thoughts, and your putting up with my venting,(wich helped me so much) I so much love all the Christmas photos.I want to share our beautiful tree, and our J.D. Stitches, and post a few. I'll wait until D.D. gets home. It will be a technology teaching time from D.D. to me.Kargiver, One of the nurses, on her break, was crotheting,and noticing D.D.'s interest in what she was doing, taught her the basics! How cool can caring people be! I am really impressed with your Christmas ornaments, and I know you have taught others to crochet. So great. Well, gotta get some housework done, maybe throw on some Christmas music to make it go faster. Peace, and Good wishes to you all.Take Care. bg

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Kargiver, a second thought. I'm going shopping to fill D.D's stocking. Now that I know of that really cool nurses teaching her crocheting, I kinda thought maybe I could put a few needles, instruction book, thread? Ihave no idea.Where can I get this stuff, in the Boston, or 128 area? bg.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

In Response to Re: December Chat 2010:
    [QUOTE]Kargiver, a second thought. I'm going shopping to fill D.D's stocking. Now that I know of that really cool nurses teaching her crocheting, I kinda thought maybe I could put a few needles, instruction book, thread? Ihave no idea.Where can I get this stuff, in the Boston, or 128 area? bg.
    Posted by beastsgirl[/QUOTE]

I get my stuff at Jo-Ann fabrics. I have taught some middle-school age girls to crochet and I usually start out with a size G hook.

Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft # 438
    1580 Vfw Pkwy # 1600
    W Roxbury, MA 02132-5500

Here's the link to their store locator in case that's not a convenient location.  Kar may have better advice about a hook size, but since she is up Quabbin way I thought I would chime in.
    http://hosted.where2getit.com/joann/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Thanks lemoncoke! Here you are again! I just posted on the neighborhood thread. Where do you teach? That store is very convenient to us. I don't even know what a hook size is, (probably the diameter of the needle?) D.D. seemed so interested, and I'm so impressed with Kargivers work, I'd like to encourage her in learning. I will definitly check out Jo Annes. bg

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello BG,
    Just chiming in too.
    I am happy for you that your daughter may be coming home for Christmas. But then again - DON'T push it. It will be quite an ordeal for her to see and experience all the special fat an sweet laden food, Christmas usually brings. Not the greatest for someone with an eating problem.
    If your daughter is doing well, where she is now, keep her there. Not an easy thing for a Mom and Dad to do. But you don't want her to slide back, so you will have to start all over again.
    Christmas is only a date. And this year it may not be the right date for your daughter. Like some of the other posters said, you can make Christmas any day of the year. It does'nt have to be on Dec. 25th.
    Best to you my dear. My heart is aching with yours. You and your family is in my prayers - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

BG, so sorry I missed your post.

If she's learning to crochet, she needs crochet hooks (not knitting needles).  They sell sets of colored hooks (varying sizes for yarn projects) and silver hooks (much smaller sizes for threads like what I use for the doilies and snow flakes).  She also needs a pair of small sewing scissors.  And, a pack of darning needles (they look like sewing needles but with huge eyes) for running in the ends of the yarn to her work upon completion.  The darning needles are great because you can split the fibers of the yarn as you run the end in and back toward the knot so you can't see little knot ends sticking out everywhere.

ETA:  I wouldn't get thread unless you know she's into the small stuff.  Usually beginners are doing yarn projects.  They are much easier.  Scarves and afghans are popular beginner's projects.  You can get a beginner's crochet project book from places that sell the other stuff.  

I have a FABULOUS book upstairs that can be used by an absolute beginner (it has EVERY stitch on earth defined in it so you can refer to it when making a pattern and run across a stitch you don't know) and I still use it myself.  It has patterns that you can apply to many different things like "Edges."  It also has afghan patterns that you can just multiply out to the size project you want, baby doll blanket to king size blanket.  I refer to it just about every time I make something.  Let me go get it and post a photo.

~kar

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, bg,
    I think if you go to a Jo-Ann's Fabrics you'll find a large choice, and personnel working there who can answer your questions geared to a new crocheter.  Also, if you see the nurse tell her of your plan and ask her what she showed your daughter - i.e. size hook and thread, and ask for her suggestion for a project that would work up fairly quickly for your dau.  It would be easier and less frustrating for a new crocheter to continue on with the same size hook and thread that she was taught on, and nothing is more satisfying to a new crocheter or knitter than to see a finished project.  Good luck.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OK, here are the crochet book photos.  This book is the best out there imo, and I've been reading books on crochet for 32 years.   The second picture is turned 90 degrees for some reason (the words at the top of the photo are actually down the side of the page).  I posted it because it shows how the patterns are displayed.  First, the photo of the finished work, then the work in diagram form (the book teaches how to read diagrams as patterns), and then the traditional pattern beneath that.  The example shows three afghan patterns.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Clerks, if they are over 18 and know anything, know a LOT more about knitting than crocheting.  I can answer all your questions about crocheting!

I have a scarf pattern that I've used many times as a "first project" for those I've taught how to crochet.  I'll post it if you like along with a photo of mine made with that pattern.