December Chat 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

Re: December Chat 2010

I teach in a grade 1-8 school, and I am also a Girl Scout leader.  My original troop has graduated but I am still very involved with this wonderful organization which tries to teach girls courage, confidence and character, as well as practical skills that girls need, like cooking and sewing, and outdoor skills, which are no longer taught in schools and homes (some homes at least.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Did I step on some toes?  I'm not sure who the last two posts of Kargiver and Lemon were aimed at, me?  My intent was only to offer a suggestion where your daughter might be able to bring her project and have hands on help with an entanglement or such.  I'll bow out of this discussion since I know absolutely nothing about crocheting anyway.  I'm a knitter.

"Clerks, if they are over 18 and know anything, know a LOT more about knitting than crocheting.  I can answer all your questions about crocheting!"

Actually, Kargiver, I have come across a lot more crocheters than knitters among the younger crowd.  And frankly, I envy them, never could pick it up because I hold the thread/yarn too tightly.

Anyway, good luck, bg, I'm out of this particular discussion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What the heck?  You didn't step on my toes nor was my post "aimed" at you.  It was aimed at the idea that clerks are super helpful.  My experience has not been that way.

Gosh, this response seems way out of left field to me, tt.

Bless you,
    ~kar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

BG - that really is sweet of the nurse to teach DD to crochet.  Must ease your mind to know that her caregivers are not just treating her, but genuinely care about her.  Plus, a new hobby opens up a whole new world of possible presents for you to choose from for her.

I didn't get a chance to get back to Petsmart with puppy.  I'm sure he'll go to town with all the wrapping paper and ribbons on Christmas morning, though, so I will post pics.  He found one of his new toys in a bag while I was wrapping yesterday and was already playing with it before I realized what he had.  It really is like having a toddler around with him. 

Fun suprise yesterday afternoon when I got home - nieces called to invite me to decorate sugar cookies with them and my Mom.  We had such a fun time.  Pushed my dinner and wrapping back by an hour or so, but was worth every minute.  They then each walked around like waitresses with a plate of cookies serving thier parents, my Dad, etc.  They even saved one for DH for when he got home from work.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Goodmorning, Kar I would love it if you postedthe scarf pattern! Thanks so much for taking the time. I'm excited that D.D. is interested in this. I really feel it will help her in many ways. I'm sure it will help her feel more confident. Anytime I've seen someone knit or crochet, they look so relaxed and serene. It must be kind of meditative.How great are you and lemoncoke for teaching these girls this artform. Lemon, it's so cool that you're so involved in the G.S.A.. I unfortunately didn't have D.D. in a Girl Scout troop. I so wish that I had.T.t., thanks for the advice. I am setting aside some time so that I can ask questions. I'm sure if someone works in a shop like that, they would be happy to help me pick out the right equipment. Pingo, thanks for your kindness and wisdom. We have an appt.today with her M.D's and counsilers. Aweek ago, I was convinced that she should be home, but I now realize that wouldn't have been the best for her. It's difficult, but I'm confident tat she'll get through this, and be the stronger for it. Again, Thanks to you all for being so supportive. bg

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The first person I taught to crochet was a dear friend with anorexia, BG.  She was very sick, needing a number of in-patient treatments to save her life.  And, the first thing she tried (against my advice) was a snow flake, and it came out perfect.  (Anorexics are usually very intelligent pefectionists.)  Anyway, that was about 10 years ago.  She just emailed me this year asking for help with a pattern for a purse she was trying to figure out from a magazine photo of what she wanted to make.  She made it look exactly like the photo with no pattern!  And, she's been well a long time, too, happily married to none other than a professional pastry chef (who is diabetic, by the way, so I don't suppose he bakes much at home).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh my, so much misunderstanding this morning in our usually friendly neighborhood. I have no intention of escalating this particular discussion, except to say after reading the posts, I don't think anything was aimed at anyone.

Also, I can only agree, that the store clerks - at least at the Jo-Ann's I go to, has no clue about the stuff they are suppose to sell. I was there just two weeks ago looking for silk thread, to use for making a pillow cover and some bottle gift bags out of some leftover silk material, I had. The person looked at me, as if I had two heads. Silk thread? Who uses that? I left w/o it and used some regular thread instead. That was fine for the bottle bags, but I do wish I had the silk thread for the pillow cover.

bg, I am so thrilled to hear your daughter has become interested in a hobby. This will probably be part of her rehabilitation. I have a couple of hobbies. Water coloring, sewing, knitting (not so much more due to arthritis) and other crafts. Whenever I am involved in those, stress goes away. I am in another world - it is so therapeutic. Bless your daughter and her newfound activity. There is nothing more satisfying than see a finished product, you have created all on your own.

tt, how are you feeling this morning? I am limping around - definitely a weather change coming. Just hope the snow will stay put until later on tonight. Son has to be picked up late afternoon - rush hour actually. Not crazy about going to the airport at that time. Could ask one of my guys, but I am anxious to see him. Did the "milestones" come home all right yesterday?

Looking out my windows, it looks kind of dreary.  Good day to finish up my cleaning. Have tackled a couple of larger projects, while DH was gone. Now it will be time to put the vac away. You all have a great day - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

TT, BG asked me some questions in one of her posts, and I just answered them,  I think a lot of people giving their help is great and I certainly did not try or mean to hurt anyone's feelings.  I just happened to have figured out from BG's posts that she probably lived somewhere near the West Roxbury/Dedham Line and that the store om the VFW Parkway might be close to her, even though I no longer live near there.

BG, any girl in grades k - 12 can join GSUSA at any time.  Call 1-888-9-GIRLSCOUT and even if there's not a troop in your area, a girl can be an independent GS and participate in programs, travel, etc.

Just listening to Maurice Chevalier sing "Jolly Old St Nicholas" on the Verizon "Sounds of the Season" Channel!  Now it's Bing helping me to wrap all of my presents!  Love to all of the Chatters! Birds in their little nests agree, I'm sure we all should be happy as they, because it's almost Christmas Day!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I have no idea what happened, but I've been guilty many times of being super sensitive over something that wasn't remotely intended to be hurtful but I felt attacked (and I've even given myself a migraine over it!) so I understand it happens to the best of us, and here we are all the best

Gracie's photo card was much beloved by even my mom who called it "very classy" - a totally surprising response from a woman who doesn't understand the idea of having animals in our homes on purpose.  Good thing I shot the photo before this happened to our poor little baby...her hair got all ripped out in that patch from scraping something hard and fast during her romp in the woods with DH.  He said he almost threw up when he saw it he felt so bad for her, and it looked really terrible when it first happened.  It's healing, now.  We hope her fur grows back...at least she didn't actually break the skin.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Oh poor Gracie!  A bald spot just before the holidays =(  I'm glad she wasn't hurt badly.  She's a lucky girl - whatever stole her fur was awfully close to her eye!

Indeed we all have those moments Kar and TT where things hit us hard for whatever reason.  I think especially online it can happen because we cannot hear one another's tone and inflection.  Its easy to misinterpret.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Lemon,
    Bless you for being involved with the girls scouts. I was a girl scout leader for several years in my home country. Lots of responsibility, lots of stress, but also lot of pleasure and rewards.
    I know you named a few things, the girl scouting will teach young girls, but I do think you missed a few.
    One is discipline and another one is politeness, not to forget team play. Those will get you far in this world.
    - Pingo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Oh No! Poor Gracie! Do you have to put anything on it? I know nothing about dogs, except that I love them, and someday would love to adopt one.Do you have to put an antibiotic or saline solution to heal it? Listening to Christmas music sounds great right now. I just vacuumed the kitchen floor so I can wash it, and when I have the t.v.on,it distracts me. I'm fortunate to get a few days off work to get to various appts, so I'm taking advantage of the time to catch up (and I do mean Catch Up) on housework.Such a grey day today. Anybody here lucky enough to get the dusting of snow? I love a little bit of snow, so pretty. The big stuff?, No thanks! Unlike my many siblings, I never took to skiing, so snow, while really pretty, when we get a huge amount, and I have to drive-Ugh. bg

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

I type so slowly that after I've posted, I see posts that have already been posted! I never took typing. it amaes me to see people texting without looking at the keyboard. If you see a misspelled word from me, it's my typing skills that are poor.I always did pretty well in spelling and grammer. OK, back to the housework.bg

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone, sorry I wasn't able to write.  tt, your tree and place settings are great.  bg, glad your daughter is making progress.  Pingo, I'm glad you are having your sons with you for the holidays.  kar, poor Gracie.  I hope she's a quick healer.  Novembride, when is your DS coming to spend the holidays with you?  FI finally made it back late last night.  He was stuck in London Saturday and yesterday and now they have lost his luggage, which never left Denmark.  I was able to get most of my shopping done yesterday thankfully and I'm preparing for my surgery on Thursday.  I'm going to try to work until Wednesday to get end of year things finished, since I can't work for at least 10 days.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We have a vet appointment on Thursday for a booster Lyme shot so I'll have it looked at then - I haven't been doing anything because she actually seems totally unbothered by it, and as far as I can tell it's healing without my intervention.  She hates greasy stuff put on her foot pads so I'm reluctant to put anything on it for fear that she'll start touching it simply because she hates greasy stuff on her.  Leaving it alone seems like a better idea, but I'm guessing.  I'll find out Thursday!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter,
    So sorry to hear about your DH getting stuck in London. I know the feeling, have been there. I am worried about my two guys coming on the 23rd via Frankfurt. They have so much snow in Europe this year. Lots of cancellations. Whatever - the Christmas date is not important. We will celebrate, when they get here. Hope your DH gets his luggage, there are probably some "angels" in there.
    Going to pick up other son this afternoon. So glad the snow they predicted has gone off shore. Can't wait to have company. It has been two lonely weeks.
    Wishing you all the best for your surgery on the 23rd. - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good luck Winter on your surgery.  Good to have it out of the way so you can be home for Christmas.  I'm sure everything will go along fine.  I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Too bad about FI's luggage getting lost.  I'm not sure what has happened to my two guys - haven't heard from them since last Thursday when they were stranded in Charlotte.  At that point their check on luggage had gone on on another plane, so not sure if it every caught up with them - wherever they are!  They'll have a story to tell Christmas Day, that's for sure.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

Good afternoon all. Had a busy weekend getting the holiday baking and shopping done. Shipped off 2 packages via priority mail this morning so that they would arrive in time for the holidays. After seeing all the pretty trees posted here I wish I had taken a picture of mine to share right after we put set it up. It's been redecorated nightly by the cats. They've done this in the past but they really seem into it this year. Our cat Angel stands up on her hind paws and stretches to reach the ones about 1/3rd the way up the tree. (Guess she's not living up to her name.) We haven't put any presents under the tree yet. So right now the cats love to take a running start then slide on the tree skirt across the floor as far as they can. We can only laugh as it's really doing no harm.

It's a bit crazy here as they are working on my porch. Plus there were a couple of things that needed done inside the house. Two of the cats are hiding while the big male cat is checking out everything they do. Today he tried to climb their ladder to get out the hole that they had cut into the wall. I moved him into a bedroom and closed the door. Hoping that the porch will be finished before the holiday. It's looking good so I'm happy I made the decision to get it done.

Winter - hope that your surgery goes well and your recovery is quick.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

SS, the mailman just delivered your card with the "enclosure" - thanks.  I'll talk with you before the holiday.  In the meantime, stay well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Celia, cats sure do provide a lot of entertainment, don't they?  My girl is getting older so not as frisky, but she still does manage to give me chuckles, especially when friends are here and she's showing off her pretty belly!  I haven't put any wrapped gifts under my tree yet, either.  Sometimes she does get curious and wants to check under the wrapping to be sure it's not a bag of her kibble I'm hiding from her.  Reminds me, think I'll go give her one of her treats.  Just moved her off my coat that I had thrown on the bed when I came back in, onto a nice nest I had made on the couch with my afghan - light on, of course, to give her warmth.  She's a good girl.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

tt. this weekend I came home from running errands and put my coat that has a fur lined hood on my bed.  When I went in my bedroom later, Tigger was curled up in a ball in my hood : )  So adorable!  Just mad I didn't think to get a picture. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I read your post and went, "ohhhhh," Amber.  What a cute picture that would have been.  I don't know about your camera, but mine makes a musical noise when I turn it on, and it was just enough warning for Cheerio to change positions.  I've learned now to snap it on in another room, and then walk to wherever she is to take a pic - no advance warning for her.  The cat treat, btw, has perked her up and she's right out in the kitchen where I'm checking over and redistributing things in my Christmas baskets before doing them up and typing the bows.  Cats love to be right in the middle of things, don't they?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Anybody here lucky enough to get the dusting of snow? "

We have a dusting now, bg.  Started while I was out running around this morning.  Looks pretty, but I just heard a car gun his motor and skid coming around the corner.  Glad I'm in for the rest of the day.  House was nice and toasty when I opened the door.

Still hunting for that elusive chicken kielbasa.  Local S&S told me to try back Thursday, that he would ask the meat guy to put in an order for some today.  Since Shaw's closed, I think the S&S staff have undergone a training similar to those in T.J.'s.  They are so helpful, make small talk when you're at the deli, and offer to go check on things for you - new to my S&S anyway.  One of the head hauncho's was talking to a deli man last week and told him he himself had noticed a lot better attitude from the employees, to keep it up.

Also just pulled up an email from G.T. - home safe and sound and back at work, that is short staffed this week.  Luggage finally caught up with them and he had no need for his meds while away.  Beautiful country, he said, and they hope to go back in the Spring to see the gardens.

I've chanced putting the kids' wrapped gifts under the back of the tree this afternoon, so we'll see if Cheerio even notices.  Have to keep the baskets up high, because she loves to chew on cellophane.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

We've no tree yet, but I just finished wrapping the 'home' presents and they are on the tree table.  Many are wrapped in "recycled" paper - carefully removed from gifts and saved from year to year, then used to wrap presents that might be just a hair too big or way too small.  Anyone else have this custom?

And Pingo, thank you for your nice comments.  Courage, Confidence and Character are Girl Scouts' official motto, but we still have the Promise and Law - friendly and helpful, considerate and caring, responsible for what I say and do, respect, etc.  Including using resources wisely - see above.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Did it for years.  Now I find that most of the gifts, except for the kids', go into gift bags.  The kids' wrapping would never survive re-folding after they tear into them. 

Sections
Shortcuts