December Chat 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: December Chat 2010

We have snow on the ground now too, tt.  Glad to are planning to be in the rest of the day.  DH called to ask that I be careful driving home tonight as the roads are already slippery.  He saw a three-car accident on the highway. eek!  Glad GT make it back safe and sound.

Same for DFI, Winter.  Happy he's home safe.  I'm picking DS up tomorrow night for a very extended visit.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Guess what, Murphy's Law!
    The snow has stayed away, but just as I am preparing to go and pick up TX son, it is coming down. Not much so far though. I think I can make it to the AP by myself. Waiting another hour to see, how wild it gets, before I call someone.
    Glad to hear, tt - that your guys came back safely with all the luggage intact and no milestone problems.
    This must have been the craziest before Christmas preparations for me. Never been so much behind. Just can't wait until it is all over. I think, I will take a few days off and join Cheerio under the blanket. - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I'm in Boston and it is snowing here. I hope it doesn't get bad as I did not wear boots, since I heard this morning the snow went out to sea.  Umm... guess not...  dreading my commute home if this keeps up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

In Response to Re: December Chat 2010:
    [QUOTE]TT, BG asked me some questions in one of her posts, and I just answered them,  I think a lot of people giving their help is great and I certainly did not try or mean to hurt anyone's feelings.  I just happened to have figured out from BG's posts that she probably lived somewhere near the West Roxbury/Dedham Line and that the store om the VFW Parkway might be close to her, even though I no longer live near there. BG, any girl in grades k - 12 can join GSUSA at any time.  Call 1-888-9-GIRLSCOUT and even if there's not a troop in your area, a girl can be an independent GS and participate in programs, travel, etc. Just listening to Maurice Chevalier sing "Jolly Old St Nicholas" on the Verizon "Sounds of the Season" Channel!  Now it's Bing helping me to wrap all of my presents!  Love to all of the Chatters! Birds in their little nests agree, I'm sure we all should be happy as they, because it's almost Christmas Day!
    Posted by lemoncoke[/QUOTE]

I have the same version of "Jolly Old St. Nicholas" on an album - yes a vinyl album - and I play it every year.  It's a compilation of Christmas songs one of the tire companies put out back in the 60's.  Nobody sings it like Maurice Chevalier!  Glad I kept my record player.

mothermitzi

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ok, so I chickened out.
    The snow is now coming down heavier here and I checked the traffic on the net. Several accidents along the route I will take, due to slippery conditions. So, someone else will pick up my son for me.  I just hated to do this, but I am sure he will be ok with it. I already prepared him, it might happen.
    Will miss that big smile and hug at the AP.

Hope you all are well and will make it home safely - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good call, Pingo, despite your disappointment.  Better than a crash!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Mothermitzy, please meet another Maurice Chevalier fan. I don't think we have the album you are referring to. But we do have others, I love listening to. "La Mer----"? You are right, no one sings like him - except for Blue Eyes maybe. Those were the days.
    Do you know, that Harrow's now have opened a shop on Rt. 1 on the same plaza as TJ's? I just noticed it when I was there this weekend.
    Sounds like you are back home from your NY trip. Hope you had a wonderful time.
    - Pingo

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: December Chat 2010 : I have the same version of "Jolly Old St. Nicholas" on an album - yes a vinyl album - and I play it every year.  It's a compilation of Christmas songs one of the tire companies put out back in the 60's.  Nobody sings it like Maurice Chevalier!  Glad I kept my record player. mothermitzi
    Posted by mothermitzi[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hope everybody is managing.  I need to catch up on the posts.  I knew it was going to snow today.  My left knee told me so.  Anyway, had a great time in New York.  Actually spent more time in the office than I anticipated but got a lot accomplished in addition to seeing a lot of folks.  The party was wonderful as usual. This year it was held near Rockefeller Center, so I got to see the Christmas tree, skaters and decorations from a birds eye view. I managed to get to the Metropolitan Museum of Art to see the Christmas tree and have lunch.  Also did some shopping there. The city was very crowded and I stayed away from the big shopping areas. 

My boss's mother and father (they started the company I work for) took me to dinner the last night.  They asked me where I wanted to go and I decided on Lidia Bastianich's restaurant.  I enjoy watching her on tv and have always wanted to go. Earlier that day, they got my son on Skype at the office. He went to school in NY and worked in the office while in college so many of my colleagues know him and we had a nice chat with many having a chance to say hello.

Now it's back to reality.  Christmas Eve will be a family affair while Christmas Day will be at my house and include my neighbors whose parents are visiting.  We are doing a buffet style meal with both household contributing food. One thing I am certain of; non-stop eating for three days.  

As I read the posts from the last few days, I will be thinking of those of you with health and family issues.

mothermitzi        

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

[QUOTE]Mothermitzy, please meet another Maurice Chevalier fan. I don't think we have the album you are referring to. But we do have others, I love listening to. "La Mer----"? You are right, no one sings like him - except for Blue Eyes maybe. Those were the days. Do you know, that Harrow's now have opened a shop on Rt. 1 on the same plaza as TJ's? I just noticed it when I was there this weekend. Sounds like you are back home from your NY trip. Hope you had a wonderful time. - Pingo In Response to Re: December Chat 2010 :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Hi pingo -

I think you or tt told me about the one on Route 1. They also opened one in Medford, which is closer to me than the other two so I've been going there. In fact, I was there on Sunday! The girls love their chicken pies and I didn't feel like cooking.

Good call on the airport trip.  It is very slippery and traffic is already a nightmare in Back Bay.  So glad your son is due home for the holidays.  Hope your DH and other son get back.  Europe is a mess.  My son had meetings this week and all were cancelled because nobody could fly in or out.

mothermitzi  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Well, I'm catching up on posts and postponing the inevitable trip home on the T - always icky on days like this.

amber, my female kitty has started going under the bed covers during the day. I have to look before I plop down.  My male has taken to pulling the bathmat off the rack and making a nest for himself in the corner by the bathtub.  They are comical! 

winter, best of luck to you on Thursday.  I wish you a speedy recovery.

bg, your daughter remains in my thoughts and prayers.  Everybody is right.  Your Christmas will happen when it happens.  The 25th is only a date.  Take care.

kar, saw the picture of Gracie's skin.  Wow, wonder what she scraped up against - poor dear.

tt, love the picture of your tree.  I usually do a similar table top version.  Glad GT is home and in one piece.

celia, my female cat was never interested in my tree and luckily, neither is the new male.  However, I can't leave a flower arrangement on the table.  That's when the rearranging takes place in this house!

mothermitzi

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

[QUOTE]I teach in a grade 1-8 school, and I am also a Girl Scout leader.  My original troop has graduated but I am still very involved with this wonderful organization which tries to teach girls courage, confidence and character, as well as practical skills that girls need, like cooking and sewing, and outdoor skills, which are no longer taught in schools and homes (some homes at least.)
    Posted by lemoncoke[/QUOTE]
    I was a Girl Scout leader for 13 yrs, girls from grade 4 thru Gr,8, I loved it, and them, I has four daughters and always had one in my troop, I had one of the largest troops in our area,usually 30-32 girls, I was also the craft teacher at  day camp for 6 weeks each summer......used to love those GS cookies, at 50 cents a box I bought plenty......since  I was the cookie lady, it wasn't hard. ss

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

SS, I remember the days of 50 cents a box.  Now they are $4.00.  Sounds like a lot, but they are not much cheaper in the store these days.  I never go by a booth sale without buying a box, although I usually buy 60 boxes myself.  I am cutting down to 40 boxes this year. They make great gifts, and I donate some to the food pantry.

Sounds as if you had a wonderful troop.  Was that in the days of "Intermediate" rank?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Good morning everyone. I hope you all were safe from those slippery roads yesterday. I was shocked, as the weather reports in the morning said only certain patrs of Mass. would get a small amt., and Boston wasn't getting any! On my way to an appt.,we drove by 3 different accidents. I skidded 4 times, mostly on side roads. I have today off to take care of many neglected chores. I'll check in later. Take care,and hope you have a great day.(including all our various four legged,furry friends)bg

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Friends, been thinking of you all, your safety (yours and loved ones), and all your Christmas prep and excitment.  Winter's surgery, tt's sons' health, Pingo's stranded travelers...and I've asked God to cover all the prayers I've missed for having not gotten caught up yet...He knows even if I don't and intercedes for me, I know (and it's a good thing - I can't always keep track!).

The snow is coming donw quite steadily here, now.  They are saying "flurries," but I dunno...looks like more than that.  Who knows.

She's watching the snow intently.  She used to bark and growl at it when she was a puppy...so cute.  She still doesn't seem to know she hurt herself.

Our pets love to curl up in warm spots we make for them, don't they?  Adorable cat stories.  Gracie isn't allowed on the furniture, but she always finds my down coat if I drop it on the floor by the door (usually if it's wet from snow).  Here she is on it:

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Just love Gracies face Kar : )  You just want to give her a big hug and kiss! It is funny but only Tigger goes for the comforter, coats etc.  Boo doesn't bother but then again, he is a cat that won't die from stress.  Most mellow cat I have ever had.  Amber hates the snow and I had to shovel a special "area" for her to go.  Talk about spoiled!  I too was shocked BG at the amount of snow when I left Boston.  I had no boots as they did not predict that.  Took me 1 hour and 40 minutes to get home (normally a 40 minute commute) and I got off 5 stops before mine on the bus and still beat the bus to my stop.  This morning was no better as the bus was very late.  I also slipped on my hill, so I am going to have to get something for my boots if we get ice.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I did see something on QVC that you can put on your shoes/boots for the ice.  Wondering if they work?  Well everyone, stay warm and let's hope our commute home is better this eveing. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

A high percentage of QVC customers rated the Get-A-Grips (is that what you mean?) 1 or 2 stars because they fall off.  I'd not risk it myself based on that review profile.

However, if I were in the market, I'd give these from REI a whirl. 

Kako ICEtrekkers

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Helpful as always....  Thank you Kar! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Looks like we'll have a white Christmas after all!  Would have been nice if they forcasted it correctly -there are an awful lot of "flurries" out there!

Pingo, did TX son make it home without delay?  The roads were quite slippery, so good choice to send one of your guys.  I hope I don't I don't sound sexist as I'm sure you could have handled it just fine.  The men in my life don't seemed phased in the least by road conditions (except to call and warn me of slippery roads) so I would have done the same.  I often joke with DH that he should pick me up in the plow and take me to work on bad mornings.

Amber - I hope you didn't fall or hurt yourself when you slipped.  I used to take the commuter rail to my old job and remember some mornings feeling like I would be better off skating to the station!

Kar - funny how they cahnge as they mature.  Last winter Jax hated the snow.  Granted he weighed all of 6 pounds and was potty training in January.  Last night he went right out for his walk, and this morning we went for our usual playtime down the park.  He was chasing the ball and digging it out of the snow drifts.  I'll have to post some pics when I get home tonight.

MM - sounds like a great trip to NY!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You're welcome, Ambergirl!  However, as an addendum, I just saw these others on QVC, and they get better reviews than the original version:

All Purpose Get a Grips

These are 1/2 the price of the REI ones and the design is different from the original Get a Grips.  Not as many fall off reviews, but those who complain about them mention they are stiff and difficult to put on.  I still think the REI ones are the way to go, but they are twice the price so it might be worth trying the QVC ones (All Purpose version) - they have a 30 day money back guarantee so you can decide if they are too stiff and difficult to put on for you before you shell out $40 for the REI ones.

The snow isn't stopping - this doesn't look like "flurries" to me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

November, I didn't fall but as I started too, I grabbed the railing on the stairs and contorted my body to avoid falling.  That was worse as I think I pulled a muscle in my leg. It is hurting right now, but not too bad.  Would have been better off falling probably!  I moved in April and I think the hill and stairs are going to be a challenge for me...  yuck.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I am going to go for the REI ones.  I don't mind spending more and you usually get what you pay for.  I need something really good as my hill is pretty steep.  Thanks again Kar! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]I am going to go for the REI ones.  I don't mind spending more and you usually get what you pay for.  I need something really good as my hill is pretty steep.  Thanks again Kar! 
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

I'm glad to hear that.  I wanted to push harder for them, but given that they are twice as much I didn't want to be too gung ho - I don't make any assumptions about what people can afford, and the second QVC ones looked pretty decent.  I totally agree with starting with the REI ones, though, and would do the same thing if I were you.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning ladies,
    Hope you all have reach safely to be where you are supposed to be this morning.
    Son arrived safely last night, but what an ordeal. I am so grateful, I could ask someone else to pick him up. The roads were a mess and Rt. 1 and Rt. 1A was like a parking lot. My guy figured 45 for a normally 20 minutes ride - it took him 1 Hr. and 15 minutes. So he was late by 1/2 hour - and Murphy's law - my son's plane landed on time. Poor guy apologized profusely. Then it took them 1 and 1/2 hour to get back home, even though they decided to use the back roads.
    I would have been a mess driving in those conditions. And truly, I don't care if it is a sexist thing or not. Let the "liberated" women drive, if they want to. During those conditions I won't, unless I really have to.

Kar, it it still snowing in Kargiver country? It is not snowing here, but it looks awfully sleek out there. Well, now I have my chauffeur. Will go to work with him.
    What  cute picture of Gracie on your coat - oh, those eyes! I just can't believe how large she is now. At this time last year, we saw puppy pictures. What a sweetheart she is. Did you hang on the the "Gracie Book" for your DH, or couldn't you help yourself to give it to him?

Amber, I hope you didn't get hurt too badly. You are a smart girl to get those traction put-ons. Icy walk ways scare me. And do go for the best ones. No need to to put money into something, that will not work. And REI is so great with returns. I went to ask them to sent a pair of Merrils for repair. The sole was lifting off in the front on one of them. I was shocked, they gave me a brand new pair after I had used them for one winter. I didn't have the receipt, but they looked it up on their computer.

Now I have to worry about how to get my other two guys home. Young son called me from Delhi, that Frankfurt, where they have a lay over is snowed in and they are cancelling flights left and right. Looked at the weather forecast there, and it looks like they are expecting rain - not snow on the 23rd. But there is a large back log.

Better get going, have a few things to do at the office. Wish I didn't have to go there, I have so many things to do at home too. But whatever, Christmas will be here, maybe not perfect - but it will be here.
    Let's rejoice - Pingo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I heard about the snow causing massive problems in Europe last night, and thought again of your family, Pingo.  Best to them and glad DS hot home safe, albeit late, last night. 

It's been snowing off and on here since last night.  At the moment, though, I don't see any flakes.  Had to check - it's a minute by minute thing, yes, no, yes, no, yes, no....

Must get a ton done today.  Tomorrow, I'll be helping dear friends clean their still-being-rennovated house (that was supposed to be done 2 months ago) in time to HOST their family's Christmas dinner!  The contractors will be there through FRIDAY.  They aren't going to make it in time without help.  So, I better get a move on today or I'll be up against the wall for Christmas myself!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Hi all! Winter2011Bride, Will be thinking of yoyon Thursday. What a time for you! All of this going on during the holidays. Your FI must be relieved to be home, and exhausted.  Celia2, we bought this stuff called "bitter apple". It's a sprayto discourage dogs from "hot spots", but was recommended to us to spray on Christmas greenery to prevent cats as well. So far, so good. I just hope it's not harmful. Stitches goes up to the tree, sniffs, and walks away.He had been jumping up at the tree, but just batting at ornaments,so we put the greatgrandparents ornaments way on top.I haven't put wrapped presents under the tree yet, so we'll see. I so much want to post a Pic of Stitches with the tree, will try soon. He has gained so much weight since this scrawney kitten decided to approve of our home as a place to live. The groomer couldn't believe the difference, so we are taking notice of his intake. He's a housecat, And when D.H. was leaving for work, he wanted to show Stitches the first snow. We had to hold onto him, but it was so funny! I would never walk him in public on a leash, but it would be fun, (If he liked it) to run around the yard.Tt.,so happy for G.T.'s safe return.                                                                                TT.,Whoever invented giftbags! what a great concept! Reusable, time and again.When I was little Santa didn't wrap our gifts. We had a stocking with our gifts next to it unwrapped. The elves didn't have time to wrap 10 childrens gifts. Mothermitzi, I love N.Y.C at Christmas time. Maybe next year. I so much babble, Have a great afternoon. bg

Sections
Shortcuts