December Chat 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: December Chat 2010

Looks like it will be a quiet day today.  I took a vaca day tomorrow, so I am hoping that today will by quickly.  The last day before a holiday always seems to take soooo long.  I plan to hit MB after work and grab all my ingredients then spend a good part of tomorrow baking/cooking:  belgian waffles for xmas AM at my house, calzones for xmas lunch at Mom's, cookies for xmas dinner at SiL's and pupcakes (recipe from Pets thread) for the dogs.  Plus, I need extra food since DS is here - i'm still amazed at how much a 12 yo boy can eat!

Happy day to all!

PS:  Good luck tomorrow Winter. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks Amber.  I hope you and all the other Chatters have a wonderful Christmas.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter,
    My best wishes all will go well for you tomorrow. You will be in my thoughts - for your surgery, as well as for a quick recovery. Hugs - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

What Pingo said, WB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Best of luck to you winter.  Hope all goes well.

mothermitzi

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

In the spirit of the ever lasting fruitcake.  A terrific story.  Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

Ah, December, that special time of year filled with festive family traditions involving gingerbread houses and Christmas carols and, in the case of Jeanne Callinan and Joan Flaherty, a 23-year-old fruitcake that refuses to die.This particular tradition began around the time that poor Aunt Peggy’s life ended. You see, someone sent the family a mail-order fruitcake every Christmas, and Aunt Peggy was the only member of the extended clan who willingly — actually, happily — ate it.So 23 years ago, Peggy in a better place, Joan Flaherty wrapped it up and gave it to her daughter, Jeanne. The following December, Jeanne was pulling out the Christmas decorations in her new apartment and found the fruitcake, sealed in its original box, stored among the ornaments and lights.What to do, what to do? Her new husband, Charlie, clever, cheap, or both, proposed giving it back to her mother for Christmas, so they put it in an old stereo box and presented it on Christmas morning. “I don’t know how many pounds it was, but it was a weapon,’’ Jeanne said.As Joan tore off the wrapping, tears of joy welled in her eyes — her only daughter, spending scarce savings on a new sound system for her mother. She would enjoy it every day and treasure it forever.Then she reached into the box and pulled out the fruitcake. “She looked at me and said, ‘You [noun that can’t be used here],’ ’’ Jeanne recalled. It was war, and it would go on as long as they did.Back and forth it’s gone for nearly a quarter of a century, through recessions and expansions, births and deaths, the constant being the same Butterfield Farms fruitcake (yes, the company still exists; no they didn’t respond to an inquiry on whether they found this amusing) that defines the expression that it is better to give than receive.Mother and daughter had to get creative in the presentation, because neither would willingly accept it back. There was the year that Jeanne convinced radio personality Hank Morse at WROR-FM to knock on her mother’s door and say she won a Loren and Wally contest. When Joan delightedly sifted through the package of T-shirts, CDs, and dashboard statues, she pulled out the fruitcake and cussed. “Ah yes, Joan Flaherty and the fruitcake,’’ Morse said yesterday.Then there was the year that Joan brought the cake, still in its sealed box, to the local Star Market and asked the baker if he’d cover it with foil and frosting and disguise it as a Christmas cake. “They put a Santa Claus and a sleigh on it,’’ Joan said yesterday. When Jeanne cut into it at her open house, the knife nearly broke in pieces, everyone yelling, ‘Gotcha!’ ’’Funny part is, the two could not be closer. Joan was a single mother who raised Jeanne, an only child, on what the daughter described as a “wing and a prayer,’’ working 43 years at the telephone company and taking second jobs at night to get her through Emerson College.These days, Joan, a crafty 73, lives in a newly renovated apartment in Jeanne’s Medford house, where doting son-in-law Charlie wanted to hide the fruitcake between the studs in her bedroom wall.“She is the best mom in the world,’’ Jeanne said.But such feelings never get in the way of the mission. The fruitcake has been disguised in the bottom of a Christmas bouquet. It’s been stashed inside a gift popcorn tin. One December, Joan, a cancer survivor, was surrounded during a checkup by oncologists and nurses who said they wanted to present a gift for being so upbeat with other patients. Yes, the fruitcake.Yesterday morning, Joan won the “Volunteer Usher Raffle’’ at the Stoneham Theatre. Friends gathered around her as she opened the gorgeous box and pushed aside the festive tissue to find, well, the 23-year-old Butterfield Farms fruitcake that is now hers for the year.“I’ve already got a plan for next Christmas,’’ Joan said.Of course she does. What are holidays without traditions? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

OMG, that is so funny, Amber.  I'm copying it and passing it along to a couple of friends.

Speaking of traditions - in this house it's the plum pudding my mother always made.  Got everything ready to pour into the metal coffee can to steam it this morning, and lo and behold, the can has a lip.  Never would get it out, so instead have poured it into a well greased casserole dish, covered with greased wax paper and tied neatly.  It steams away.  Reminds me of the year I put the leftover stuffing mix into a greased round casserole and presented it, dome top up, at the Christmas table.  I don't know if I ever posted the poem my oldest son wrote after that day, but I'll look in my scrapbook and give it a post - a good holiday laugh.

Best wishes go with you, winter, I'm sure everything will be fine.  And just think, you'll have it all over with.  Hate when it drags on and on, waiting for the day of surgery.  You were smart to schedule it now.

For those who will not be on the boards because of going away, or whatever other reason, I wish you a Merry Christmas.  No Christmas poem this year.  Now I'm going to go look up that stuffing poem.  That will give everyone a chuckle, and will be my poem contribution this holiday. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, here it is.  To set the stage, oldest son wrote this in response to a poem G.T. wrote praising the somewhat strange apparition that turned out to be molded stuffing.  The year is 1996.  Merry Christmas from me to you all, compliments of my oldest son:

"Oh, G.T., Oh, G.T., you misguided fool -
    writing poem and prose to praise this gruel!
    Yes, cold, yes stiff, yes firm to the touch,
    Yes molded, yes hard, oh, Lord, it's too much!

This new apparition seemed foreign and scary!
    It frightened poor wife, and terrified Larry!
    I like the old stuffing, cooked deep in the bird -
    tasting of giblets, and innards, my word.

Some moist, some dry, some soupy, some thick -
    some tacky enough to cement to a brick!
    But, homemade it was, and cooked the old way,
    and the best thing was in a sandwich next day.

All praises are due, with this I agree,
    for feeding us all - for buying a tree -
    for presents - for booze - for cheese straws and candy -
    for shrimp and for eggs, she devils so dandy!
    Also her gravy tho it comes from a can,
    and I would prefer it from the roasting pan.

This stuffing, I fear, will be our undoing.
    Forgive me, I pray, for my venomous spewing.
    For once down this road, we walk without fears,
    instead of plum pudding, we'll get fruitcake from Sears!"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

That is so funny tt!!!  How talented you and your sons are.  I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

All that talk about needle work and embroidery made me think of my young days. I did quite a bit of embroidering - just like tt say, so relaxing. I never did the painted things. Always thread counting. Unfortunately my eyes and hands will not let me do it any more.
    Here is a wall "painting", I did some 40 years ago - it measures about 18 x 24 inches. It took me awhile to do, but the smaller stuff I finished too quickly.
    - Pingo

It is not the greatest photo, but you get an idea.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thank you everyone for the well wishes.  Pingo that is a lovely picture.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

wISH i KNEW HOW TO PUT PICTURES HERE,  I love to embroider and do crewel work, have hangings in most rooms.  Was looking at one yesterday, it was done in 1965!!  Lemoncoke..I was a Jr. Girl Scout leader, my oldest daughter was a
    Brownie leader for a few years before she got married. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a Healthy, Happy 2011. ss

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Shaker,
    I would just LOVE to see some of your work as well as your S&P collection.
    If an illiterate computer clod like me could learn, so can you. It is really not that hard. We old-timers are just afraid of the new technology, while the youngsters think in a different way.
    Maybe it is not too late for Santa to bring you a camera. Doesn't need to be a fancy one. The more simple it is, the better. Like tt said, 4 things to learn. How hard is that?
    Merry Christmas to you too with a Healthy and Happy New Year - Pingo

In Response to Re: December Chat 2010:
    [QUOTE]wISH i KNEW HOW TO PUT PICTURES HERE,  I love to embroider and do crewel work, have hangings in most rooms.  Was looking at one yesterday, it was done in 1965!!  Lemoncoke..I was a Jr. Girl Scout leader, my oldest daughter was a Brownie leader for a few years before she got married. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a Healthy, Happy 2011. ss
    Posted by shakersilly2010[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

All you former GS people, here are a couple of things to think about.  Last October 31 was the 150th anniversary of Juliette's birth, and March 2012 marks the 100th anniversary of Girl Scouting!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

A beautiful piece of stitchery, Pingo.  Thanks for sharing.

I got up to a house smelling wonderfully of plum pudding and gingerbread men.  Was able to get enough (25 - that's just how many will be here Christmas morning) out of the gingerbread recipe, so that I don't have to make another batch today.  It's time consuming and hard on my hands.  Last year before carpal tunnel surgery I just couldn't manage to roll out the dough and everyone missed them.  A new molded form will make its appearance this year too, the plum pudding came out easily from the casserole dish.  Can't imagine that I will get as many pieces out of it as I did the sliced can form, but then there are are only a couple of us that truly like it.

Planned to pick up a few last minute food items today, but unless it really clears up this afternoon, that will have to wait until tomorrow.  Dragged the trash out yesterday, and now looking out I can see it's mostly snow covered.  Hope we have adventurous enough trashmen who will grab it and throw it in the truck anyway.

Cheerio and I got up early this morning because we have a full day planned.  So, it's probably another day that I won't be checking the boards much.  Christmas is so close, and then pfft, it's all over.  Such a let down after all the hustle and bustle of the past month.  I find I usually want to get the decorations down and put away quickly tho, and get my house back to normal.  That toyroom is on the list for today, as I know the kids will all head right there once their gifts afre opened.  Where am I going to put all the stuff I moved into there to make room for the decorations??  Maybe the stairway going upstairs - there's a door at the bottom I can close.  Talk about Fibber McGee's closet! - Anyway, have a good day all.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Just wanted to stop by and wish you all a Merry Christmas and happy and healthy 2011! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Good morning chatters.  Nice to have a day off, although I have plenty planned to keep me busy.  The oven is already at full blast with the dog treats baking away inside.  calzone dough is defrosting and I am going to sit down with a cup of tea and watch the news!

Best to all with your last minute doings.  Safe trip to those who are traveling.  And since how knows how busy the day will get, Merry Christmas to all if I don't get back to say it!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Well it was a lot to catch up on the Chat.  For those who are travelling or awaiting the arrival of wanders, I am crossing fingers and saying a quick prayer
    Also my best to Winter

I am baking today, Anybody joining me? I am making a variety of wheat-free items but I am going to try to do things in the croquembuche type of display.

TT ,I thought I was going to be going through poem withdrawal, but you came through with what the sports people would call"a throw-back" Good job!!!

Honey and I will be spreading Holiday cheer(I have learned that holiday"cheer" and the computer don't mix) so I might not be around for those times.But..

I will be checkin in today to see all the magnificent culinary creations that come out of the chat...I can't wait!!!

For all those in the kitchen with me today...Lets get to work!! hehe

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all you busy ladies,

Winter I hope your surgery is over by now, so you don't have to wait all day. Sending my prayers.

tt, thanks for checking in - so we know you are alright. And thanks for sharing your oldest son's poem with us. What a talented family you have. Be careful if you go out - even if the snow stops, it will still be a mess out there. I went out yesterday morning to do my final grocery shopping, and of course I missed two items. But if I don't get them, I will make do w/o them.

Icer, I hope we will see photos of your croquembuches.

Princess, how are you feeling? Merry Christmas to you too and a happy and HEALTHY New Year.

The world travellers are "in flight" on their last leg from Frankfurt. Everything is on time. Can't wait to pick them up this afternoon. Fortunately my son will drive.
    I have a busy day too. Dec. 23rd is called "little Christmas" in my home country - and has it's own traditions (like decorating the Christmas tree f. ex). So merry little Christmas to you all - Pingo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I won't be back until Tuesday, so wishing all the wonderful chatters on here a very Merry Christmas! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

The tree is up and being decorated, the gingerbread men are awaiting frosting, the brownies are packed away, mince pie baked, butter softening for hard sauce, toll house cookie dough ready to scoop, pasta casserole ready for the oven, and 2 batches of spritz dough in the fridge waiting for the gun!

Hope all is well with all the Chatters, especially Winter, and that you have all, a lovely Christmas. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

I want to say Merry Christmas to all of you now.  It is mayhem around here but in a good way.  Chat after Christmas.

mothermitzi

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Merry Christmas to all from the Kargiver home, as well! 

I've been working myself silly for two days, yesterday washing friends' windows, today prepping for our own Christmas dinner and baking a pie for a neighbor who came over tonight.

I haven't been online, but have been thinking of you all and missing our regular chatting.   Hoping everyone is well (or recovering well!) and where they're supposed to be safe and sound.

Blessings to each of you and yours,
    ~kar

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Goodmorning everyone,
    Just checking in before my very busy day starts. Everyone made it home safely yesterday. The boys came late afternoon - even later after a two hours ride from the airport, the traffic was totally crazy - and DIL came very late last night.
    Sitting quietly here with my cuppa, before the "good mayhem" (as mothermitzy described it) begins. I woke up to the smell of coffee. The jetlaggers had been up, made coffee, had cereal and then went back to sleep. It will take a day or two, before their body clock starts ticking, with the rest of us.
    Winter, I hope you are back home, had a nice rest and doing well this morning.
    You all enjoy the day, I know I will - Pingo

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

Hello Everyone,

I could your HELP please.  I'm looking for the meatball recipe that was posted back in the November Chat.....I think by Pingo.  My problem is that I'm not able to get into the November Chat.  I did save the recipe on my computer but, when I try to access it, Boston.com won't accept my password.  Although, it's the same password I use to get into this site.  I believe this recipe has club soda in it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have all the ingredients sitting on my counter right now.  Thank you so much.

Merry Christmas and a Healthy, Joyous New Year to you all!!

Sections
Shortcuts