December Chat 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: December Chat 2010

In Response to Re: December Chat 2010:
    Hello Everyone, I could your HELP please.  I'm looking for the meatball recipe that was posted back in the November Chat.....I think by Pingo.  My problem is that I'm not able to get into the November Chat.  I did save the recipe on my computer but, when I try to access it, Boston.com won't accept my password.  Although, it's the same password I use to get into this site.  I believe this recipe has club soda in it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have all the ingredients sitting on my counter right now.  Thank you so much. Merry Christmas and a Healthy, Joyous New Year to you all!!
    Posted by Obbieite

No problem, Obbiete. It was in "Recipes to Share" - here is the copy:

This recipe was handed down from my grandmother. Except, she fried her meatballs in plenty of butter. My mom started to bake them - so I took after her. And yes, you are reading correctly, we use soda water. The carbonation makes them lighter.
    On occasion, I found, I had a hard time to make the balls. I just added another 1 or 2 Tbs. of bread crumbs and let mixture sit for a couple of minutes to soak in the moisture.
    If I don't use all of them, I freeze them individually, then bag them. They freeze well.

ETA: Thought I should add this. Of course I serve them with the general pasta and tomato sauce. But we also love them with a mushroom gravy and mashed potatoes.  Sauté sliced mushrooms and onions in a bit of butter. Add flour to make a roux. Then thin with chicken broth until you get the thickness of the gravy you like. Add salt and pepper and finally after done (turn off the heat) add some  sour cream. Yummy!
    Lingonberries usually accompany this, but they are hard to get by. Substitute cranberry sauce instead.

Pingo’s Meat Balls

1 medium onion, grated
    9 Tbs. bread crumbs (I make them from fresh bread, but the ready made crumbs will do)
    2/3 cup mixed soda water and milk (if you have no soda water, milk can be used)
    1 lbs. ground beef
    ½ lbs. ground pork
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    salt and pepper to taste
    pinch each of ground allspice and nutmeg

Soak the breadcrumbs in the soda water. Beat the meat well with the onion and egg. Add the soaked breadcrumbs and the spices and mix well, beating until smooth.

With wet hands make balls the size of a large walnut. Place them on a lightly greased (or use parchment paper) baking pan with a rim.

Bake in 375 degree oven for 15 – 20 minutes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

Pingo...Thank you so much for replying to my message so quickly.  They remind me of the Swedish Meatballs my mother used to make and put into a gravy too .  I am making them right now and can't wait to have them tonight.  Now just to figure out why I can't access this particular recipe that I have saved.  I'll save that project for after Christmas...lol.

Again, Happy, Healthy Holidays to All!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

You are welcome and good luck!
    If you have a hard time to access Chat, just make a new profile. That is the easiest way. HTH - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

Merry Christmas!  I am so thankful for my wonderful family, my DH who loves me no matter what, my friends, my home, my church and you all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Was on the net looking up a recipe for our smorgas board today. Saw you post.

Merry Christmas to you too! And in respond to this post of yours and using your own phrase, "As Lemon said!"

In Response to Re: December Chat 2010:
    Merry Christmas!  I am so thankful for my wonderful family, my DH who loves me no matter what, my friends, my home, my church and you all.
    Posted by lemoncoke

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Me on Wednesday:  I am waiting for the other shoe to drop as they say.  I finished bows and nametags last night and feel all caught up - so much so, that I am convinced I have missed something.  I do have to pick up stocking stuffers, and hit the grocery store for my holiday cooking/baking, but I knew that.  Oh well... I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Me today:  At about 5 this morning, it hit me what I was forgetting - the styro-cone!  Alas, there was no munchkin tree this morning.  No one missed it since no one knew.  Yay me for keeping my mouth shut about it around here.  Other than that, a wonderful holiday.  Hope to hear soon that all of yours were too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, everyone

Beautiful table, Pingo,  simple but elegant.

We ended up with about 27 here in the morning, including the newest member of our canine family, a baby mastiff (I think that's what they're called).  What a sweet lump of butter she is.  Of all the pics I could post, here is my favorite - sweet, sweet baby.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    What a cute dog, tt. Was Reese there too, did they get along? 27 - that sounds like our Christmases in the past. Not any longer, have already gone into that enough. Must be wonderful to have such a large family near by.
    We had a lovely Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Just the 5 of us. Since we don't see each other too often, it was nice to be able to just relax and chat.
    Today we are expecting DH's family with the visiting boys from AZ, but as we are expecting a blizzard, they will probably cancel. I don't blame them. Our boys will still be here for the next two days, so hopefully we can still get together.

Winter, I hope you are doing well. Thinking of you.

November, too bad about the cone, it would have been such a nice centerpiece. But you know, I do the same - I go for something specific, but come home w/everything else, but what I did go out for. Murphy's Law.

Just filled up the feeder, so we don't have to do it during the blizzard. We have some new visitors. But now we have a good chance to find out, who they are. DH got Peterson's field guide for Christmas from the boys.

Stay in and collect energy for the shoveling. Ugh! - Pingo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, everyone!  Hoping everyone got safely to where they were supposed to be in time to enjoy a relaxed and joyous Christmas.  And, that everyone was healthy (aside from overstuffed tummies). 

Winter, how was your surgery, and how are you feeling?

Pingo, lovely table!  You must have more photos....

tt, oh, what a dignified little puppy!!!  Mastiffs are gentle, kind dogs; I just love them (but wouldn't want to feed one!).  I bet he's going to be Gracie's size in no time, shooting by her by 3 times before he's full grown.  What an adorable face.

We had my SIL's little Bijon Freise (sp?) join us.  Gracie was a doll, very gentle, and even let him lie down on her bed and play with all her toys.

I cooked ALL DAY Christmas Eve, and then DH and I opened our presents and then cleaned the house (he washed the inside and outside of the windows and polished the floors).  They arrived at 12:30, and we had a lovely, peaceful day.  The oldest of SIL's kids and I made molasses cookies, she then made a butternet dish she asked if she could do (uh, yeah!), and all that was left to do was put the roast in the oven.   Here are some photos of the food.  I meant to take one of the finished table, but got so caught up in the moment totally forgot.  It was pretty, though, with the candles lit and everything.

Kargiver's Garlic Mashed Potato

Kargiver's grandmother's cranberry/orange relish in DH's grandmother's serving dish:

Raspberry pie and spelt bread

Pommegranite/Clementine fruit salad

No photo of the star of the show, the prime rib, but you can imagine that - it looked like every other 7.5 lb rib roast!  I used the leave-in probe and cut it at 139 degrees.  Still dark pink in center, and more done on the ends - everyone got the doneness they prefer - I LOVE that thing, it's totally fool proof (good thing).  I also made a horseradish sauce to go with (Alton Brown's on the Food Network).

And, here's Gracie with her new toy, a scruchy snowman she seems to enjoy.  We cuddled with it before we gave it to her for scent.

You can see her face is healing nicely.  The scab fell off, and her hair is starting to grow back.   The vet was happy with how it looked last Thursday, and she's lost about 7 lbs since her last visit.  Yay!

ETA:  Pingo, took me so long to post the photos, I missed your post - so nice to hear everyone made it and had a wonderful time.

Nov, as you can see, no app tree at Kargiver's either.  Maybe next year!

~kar

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Nice pictures everyone, I know you will be mad at me, but I didn't take any. We had a lot of unexpewcted guests and for much longer than expected.

My son has a friend or two that are serving in the Military, they all used to have sleep overs here and it was quite a long road down memory lane for us. That was fun

I also have a fairly new friend who came over rather unexpectedly and spent the night on Xmas eve...She introduced me to Martinis..I liked them but I only had 2,,and that was more than enough

I was very glad I went wheat-free for Xmas dinner as it turns out, Honeys family is really going that way and it was soooo nice to be on the cutting edge.
    Have a good one all

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sorry no photos, Icer, but we understand. :)  You must have been the star of the show for having all delicious wheat-free eats.  Did you make your cresent rolls?  I meant to do them for our gluten intolerant niece and totally forgot (but did have plenty of yummies for her).

I saw a Santa on a motorcycle in someone's yard and I turned around (briefly, I was driving) to see if it was yours.  Nope, no sunglasses - I think I remember Santa wearing sunglasses.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OMG Kar, you could be a food editor. Maybe my son would hire you for photos for a Boston Savor. LOL
    The photo of my table really don't do justice to the 8 plus hours, I put into it. Smorgas board is like a buffet sitting down with everything on the table. I had 18 different items - which is truly not that much. It is served on dark bread with beer and Akvavite.  Everyone do their own thing. Take a piece of bread, butter it and then pile on what they like. Usually the fish first, then the warm stuff, then the cold stuff and finally the cheese.
    Is it snowing in Kargiver Land? It is coming down here right now. Cancelled DH's family for today. They will come tomorrow night instead. With the blizzard warning, we don't want them to get into an accident on our account.
    - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, don't sell yourself short!  18 items is a wonderfully huge spread of tastiness and hard work that sounds delicious.  They must have had so much fun assembling and eating their goodies.  The table looked lovely, although, a picture never does the real thing justice.  Thanks so much for your kind words about the photos - I took them just for Chatters (they are all off center!).  I'll have to explain it to my folks who might think my vision has shifted to the left.

It has been snowing in Kargiver Land, correction, it was snowing here from about 8:00 to just now.  I see it's stopped for now.  But not for long.  DH is chomping at the bit to try out the new plow for the pickup.  He'll enjoy plowing in a warm truck instead of the cab-less Kabota this year.  We looked into buying a cab, but at $14,000 it wasn't happening.  How can a fiberglass cap cost as much as a car?  They soak ya 'cause they can, I guess.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Beautiful photos, Kargiver.

I just popped in a dish of leftovers for a nice Sunday dinner.  Will sit and eat in front of my new wide screen TV.  Guess everyone but me had realized how dark the pics on my old RCA were!

All the talk about the munchkins, I at least had a couple of plates of them that I had bought at M.B. - thought the kids would go for them.  I have a pic of my buffet table, but doesn't do justice either, Pingo, stratta was served from the stove, so isn't on there, and tray of gingerbread men, dish of grapes, etc. didn't make the cut.  Stratta was a hit, I just made one - one side with ham, the other without.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt. :)

Wish I could reach in for a tasty treat - we've got great entertainers, bakers, and chefs here!

~kar

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, I guess the weathermen were right.  Just looked up from copying some more recipes for my granddaughter (the one with the new "pup"), and it's finally starting to look like a snowstorm.  Was hoping with the clear sky we had this morning, that it was blowing out to sea.

Folding bags, throwing away wrinkled tissue, and putting "things to be regifted" in a special box to keep in my closet for use during the year.  Have already given a couple of gift bottles of wine to a son.  Cheerio has appeared out from under the covers and is purring away, lying in the cover of the Xmas paper box.  "Tis the season to be merry - - - - - -"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Get the camera!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Stop encouraging me!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OMG, that's the cutest thing.  The kitty on the pillow looks like her reflection!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, what a cute photo! Funny thing, one could think the pillow was a mirror. Just take a look at the "two" of them. Why do cats always LOVE boxes? Our sons cats love them too.
    I don't know if I told you, that our son's 6 months old female kitty climbed to the top of their Christmas tree. She thought it was a toy just for her. It is a 6 foot tree and our poor DIL had to single-handed move the tree, ornaments and all, into our son's office before she left, so the kitty wouldn't hurt herself. The male cat, now 3 years old didn't bother with the tree. I have to give my DIL credit. She moved it by slinging a pair of jeans around it and drag it by the legs. LOL
    The snow is now coming down heavily here. Glad we postponed our visitors for tonight. Took out the lobster meat, I picked while DH was gone. Now just have to decide, how to use it. Thinking of a Newburg or a Thermidor. Wish I had tart shells, but I don't. Rice will have to do instead.
    And I meant to tell you, what a lovely yummy spread, you have on your table.  Wish you had taken a photo of the strada though - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

People were helping themselves to the strata as soon as it came out of the oven, so I couldn't very well say, "Wait Wait - I have to take a picture to post for the girls!"  It truly looked like the pic I posted with the recipe, except there was ham on one side and none on the other.  Our Christmas dinner was ready at 3:00, turkey, stuffing, potatoes, squash, green beans, cranb. sauce, and my plum pudding plus a couple of pies that were brought, for dessert.  Wouldn't think we'd have been ready to eat again after the morning brunch, but surprisingly, we all were.

Now that I've used the puff pastry tart shells for 1) the chicken ala king, and 2) Christmas lemon tarts, I can't wait to buy some more.  Filled them with instant lemon pudding for lemon tarts and those went like wildcakes.  Probably the easiest of the desserts I had made, and yet everyone thought they must have come from a bakery.

Another Christmas bonus - discovered after a year - that my camera does have a zoom lens!  My youngest son was making fun of me with my arms extended as far as they would go to get a couple of shots of the 4 of them (my boys), and came over and said, "Ma, see this button?  Look - you can zoom in and out!"  No jokes about the "molded" plum pudding, in fact, everyone, me included, thought it was a lot more attractive than the previous ones that I had steamed in a coffee can.

Have picked all afternoon, this and that, and am having a cuppa peppermint tea.  No supper for me tonight.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Me, too, I'm stuffed.  But, instead of peppermint tea (which sounds lovely), I'm finishing the champagne from last night.  Ahhhhh, yummy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    You mean to say, you leave Champagne? We would have finished it all up. Thanks for reminding me though, that I bought my DIL's favorite bottle of bubbly, and we haven't even had a chance to drink it. Maybe tonight with the Lobster Newburg. I finished the sauce, I came out so velvety and wonderful and I am making saffron rice to go with it.

tt,
    those lemon tarts are inspiring. I have made them with vanilla pudding and fresh fruit, which was very nice. But we love all kind of lemony things - so now they are calling me. I have the lemon pudding (use it for ice cream), but no tarts.

You girls must be thinking, I am sitting at the computer all day. But the truth is, my laundry room is right behind me. And I go back and forth, listening to the bell. Can't hear it at the other end of the house. When it is just about to ring, I will sit down here waiting for it. I like to fold my clothes and hang up the shirts, as soon as they come out of the dryer. Less work. Good compromise, right? And in between cooking, decorating, eating - I had 3 full suitcases of dirty laundry to deal with - plus the family of five's daily laundry. I must be on my 15th load right now. Still more to go. Can do that tomorrow, while the boys are out shoveling snow. - Pingo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My SIL didn't care for it, it was too sweet for her, and I figured I shouldn't polish off a whole bottle of bubbly by myself in one evening especially having already shared the bottle SIL brought!   Oh, yeah, have yours with the Newburg, but please wait until I arrive, ha ha ha!  I wish!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

TT love the "mirror" picture of Cheerio..Anybody got snow

Sections
Shortcuts