December Chat 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: December Chat 2010

I can't imagine having taken 2 puppies!  Gracie is awesome, but 2 of them might have gotten the best of my sanity.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The girls are grown granddaughters (cousins to each other) who each have their own homes - and not close enough together that the "play dates" can be arranged, either.  Oh well.  Grandmas don't give advice unless asked.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

mm,
    Hope you have a safe trip. What a wonderful opportunity for you, but please stay safe, while over there. Americans are not always well liked abroad, so try to be subdued and not look too American (jeans, sneakers, t-shirts with typical American prints etc.). Hope I didn't offend anyone, but these days the world is crazy, and it is better to be safe.
    I don't think you will have a problem getting out of here today. The weather looks great for take-off. Looking forward to hear about your trip, when you get back.
    Bon voyage - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

In Response to Re: December Chat 2010:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: December Chat 2010 : No problem, Obbiete. It was in "Recipes to Share" - here is the copy: This recipe was handed down from my grandmother. Except, she fried her meatballs in plenty of butter. My mom started to bake them - so I took after her. And yes, you are reading correctly, we use soda water. The carbonation makes them lighter. On occasion, I found, I had a hard time to make the balls. I just added another 1 or 2 Tbs. of bread crumbs and let mixture sit for a couple of minutes to soak in the moisture. If I don't use all of them, I freeze them individually, then bag them. They freeze well. ETA: Thought I should add this. Of course I serve them with the general pasta and tomato sauce. But we also love them with a mushroom gravy and mashed potatoes.  Sauté sliced mushrooms and onions in a bit of butter. Add flour to make a roux. Then thin with chicken broth until you get the thickness of the gravy you like. Add salt and pepper and finally after done (turn off the heat) add some  sour cream. Yummy! Lingonberries usually accompany this, but they are hard to get by. Substitute cranberry sauce instead. Pingo’s Meat Balls 1 medium onion, grated 9 Tbs. bread crumbs (I make them from fresh bread, but the ready made crumbs will do) 2/3 cup mixed soda water and milk (if you have no soda water, milk can be used) 1 lbs. ground beef ½ lbs. ground pork 1 egg, lightly beaten salt and pepper to taste pinch each of ground allspice and nutmeg Soak the breadcrumbs in the soda water. Beat the meat well with the onion and egg. Add the soaked breadcrumbs and the spices and mix well, beating until smooth. With wet hands make balls the size of a large walnut. Place them on a lightly greased (or use parchment paper) baking pan with a rim. Bake in 375 degree oven for 15 – 20 minutes.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: December Chat 2010 : No problem, Obbiete. It was in "Recipes to Share" - here is the copy: This recipe was handed down from my grandmother. Except, she fried her meatballs in plenty of butter. My mom started to bake them - so I took after her. And yes, you are reading correctly, we use soda water. The carbonation makes them lighter. On occasion, I found, I had a hard time to make the balls. I just added another 1 or 2 Tbs. of bread crumbs and let mixture sit for a couple of minutes to soak in the moisture. If I don't use all of them, I freeze them individually, then bag them. They freeze well. ETA: Thought I should add this. Of course I serve them with the general pasta and tomato sauce. But we also love them with a mushroom gravy and mashed potatoes.  Sauté sliced mushrooms and onions in a bit of butter. Add flour to make a roux. Then thin with chicken broth until you get the thickness of the gravy you like. Add salt and pepper and finally after done (turn off the heat) add some  sour cream. Yummy! Lingonberries usually accompany this, but they are hard to get by. Substitute cranberry sauce instead. Pingo’s Meat Balls 1 medium onion, grated 9 Tbs. bread crumbs (I make them from fresh bread, but the ready made crumbs will do) 2/3 cup mixed soda water and milk (if you have no soda water, milk can be used) 1 lbs. ground beef ½ lbs. ground pork 1 egg, lightly beaten salt and pepper to taste pinch each of ground allspice and nutmeg Soak the breadcrumbs in the soda water. Beat the meat well with the onion and egg. Add the soaked breadcrumbs and the spices and mix well, beating until smooth. With wet hands make balls the size of a large walnut. Place them on a lightly greased (or use parchment paper) baking pan with a rim. Bake in 375 degree oven for 15 – 20 minutes.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

[QUOTE]You are welcome and good luck! If you have a hard time to access Chat, just make a new profile. That is the easiest way. HTH - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Obbieite, nothing came though in your posts except your quotes of Pingo.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Winter, you are a new homeowner today, correct?  Congrats to you, FI and DS!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

Pingo:  Thanks, again for your recipe.  It was delicious and I have frozen enough meatballs to use later.

Have a great New Year's everyone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

This is from last week's storm, but thought you guys might get a kick out of it.  We were down the park at 6AM...

He wasn't as miserable as he looks, I promise.  He was running all over the place playing fetch just like every other day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ohhhh, Jax is so adorable in his fabulous green coat!  Gracie always looks so forlorn in photos with her coat on, too, but she doesn't actually seem to mind it, either. :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, how cute!  If I could put a caption on it, it would be, "She made me wear this - "

Heading out early this morning, hope there's no black ice the TV is talking about.  Will be gone most of the day, so will pop in tonight to see what's going on.

Congrats Mrs. Winter Homeowner!

Bg, how was your holiday?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Thank you Kar and TT.  For Christmas, my SIL took him to have portraits done and framed a beautiful one that will hang in my dining room.  It was such and awesome suprise! From the proofs it seems he is quite the ham in front of the camera when I am not the one behind it.

I love how the wind gives him little gremlin ears in this one.  I went through three styles of coats in two different sizes (5 coats in all) before finally finding one he would wear and actually move in.  In the others he just stood there frozen.  He hates the hood, but I just flip it inside out.  I think as long as they are going out to play, they'll wear anything we put on them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

[QUOTE]Obbieite, nothing came though in your posts except your quotes of Pingo.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Kar.  I must have done something wrong.  Hopefully, this response will post correctly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

Here's a cute holiday video. Got a laugh out of it. I can't imagine my cats letting me do this to them but this one doesn't seem to mind.

http://wimp.com/catchristmas/

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Obb, did you type anything before, and it didn't display?  This time it worked, but you don't have to "Reply" if it doesn't always for for you; you can just refer to people by screen name - we'll see it.  :)

Nov, glad you found one that Jax likes.  It looks quilted and warm, too.  Gracie's doesn't have a hood; I don't think she'd care for that at all.  I'm amazed at how warm the inside of the coat is when I take it off.  Must keep her nice and toasty.

Winter, what's the good news on the house? Surgery? 

Gracie got into the trash in the garage from Christmas dinner and ate the string the roast was tied up in.  How do I know?  She barfed it yesterday.  YUCK!  If we ever have kids nothing will phase me.  Her face is healing nicely, and the fur is growing back, thankfully. 

Has anyone else packed on some poundage?  I was stunned on the scale today!  Time to stop eating mashed potato with melted cheese log for breakfast (and snacks and...).

Have a great day!

~kar

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Celia, How could he do this to the poor cat? I don't think it is so cute. - Pingo

[QUOTE]Here's a cute holiday video. Got a laugh out of it. I can't imagine my cats letting me do this to them but this one doesn't seem to mind. http://wimp.com/catchristmas/
    Posted by Celia2[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

He just sits there!  Hilarious!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

I don't think that the cat minded. Once it was unwrapped it just sat there. I think that the cat would have dashed off it had been upset by what had happened. It's probably an extremely mellow cat. I'm a cat person and would never think of something as funny if it was hurting a cat.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Looks like a beautiful day out. A little warmer, but it is still very cold. And yes, do indeed watch out for the black ice. They say, when the temp is around the 32 degrees it is a lot more dangerous, than if it is colder. Freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw etc.

Was up @ 4 this morning to send off PB son. He had a 7am flight to catch. After he left I went back for a couple of hours snooze. One down, two more to go this afternoon.

Bg, we haven't heard from you. How did your Christmas go? Was DD able to join you? Hope all is well.

And winter, healing well? Hopefully you signing the papers will speed up your healing.

Icer, is your furnace up and running again? We had ours blow out once in the middle of the night, when it was 6 degrees out. The smoke and smell was so bad, we had to open all windows. Not only that, we were to leave for TX in the afternoon. I was packing, looking like I was on the ski slopes. But with help of family and friends, we took off and they stayed until it got fixed later that evening. Talk about being thankful here.

Yes Kar, Gracie is good practise for later on. You never know, what dogs and toddlers can get into. But at least Gracie was able to take care of it, not so with a toddler. Any foreign object would have been a trip to the Emergency.

Looking forward to the "heat-wave" later in the week. Stay warm - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

So Gracie is a rascal, too!  At least it came back out, but I agree, YUCK!  No video at work, will have to wait til I'm home to see what everyone is laughing at.

Welcome Obbie (hope that's close enough - I can't scroll back without losing what I'm typing)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

4 AM?  Pingo, what a good mom you are.  Glad you got a good nap in before you have to return (twice?) to the airport.  You must be sad to see them off.

Yeah, she's usually good about avoiding the trash, but apparently the roast beef juice on the string was too much for her to resist.  Thankfully, she isn't one of "those dogs" that eats anything and everything.  I used to worry about the stuffing in toys, but she just likes to pull it out, not swallow it.  Here she is just having just ripped all the stuffing out of her Christmas snowman (check out the deflated head!):

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from minipup. Show minipup's posts

But, Kargiver, how can you resist that face?! Cooper got two new beds for Christmas, and so far he has been really good with them. He is up to 7 whole pounds, maybe even 8 now. Chewing EVERYTHING in sight, so we have a ton of toys and bully sticks (those things STINK) around the house to keep him occupied. He is just the cutest darn thing, it is so hard to punish them when they do wrong.

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Awww Cooper.  He doubled and is still a peanut!  LOVE the head tilt.  That one gets me every time (and is the pose SIL framed for me).  Does he have one white paw, mini?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Cooper's just the sweetest and growing so fast even for a little pint!  I was a mean mommy, I guess; I didn't have much trouble letting Gracie know I was displeased, but it WAS hard.   Bully sticks DO stink (and, ew, I can't get over what they're made of)!!!  DH has banned them from the house; he just can't stomach the smell.  Of course, they are her favorite treats ever.