December Chat 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: December Chat 2010

Hang in there, bg.  Thank God you were vigilant and pressed for evaluations that eventually uncovered the problem.  She's on the road to recovery now, slow as it might seem.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Good morning everyone.  Tree is done and decorations are set!  Will try to get some pics tonight after obedience school.  So far, puppy couldn't care less that there is a tree in the house.  Hasn't even been sniffing around it.  He did try to eat some ribbon candy while I was finishing the centerpieces - must be my dog going right for the sweets. 

MM - very sorry to hear of your loss and your MIL's condition. 

BG - That's great that DD is in the right place getting the help she needs.  She, you and your family are of course in my thoughts and prayers.  I'm sure it will be comforting and uplifting for her to come home to a festive, decorated house.

Kar - Date night at Lowe's!  Love it!  I've had many of those myself, although usually it's Home Depot.  What matters most is spending the time together, right?  Is your DH like mine in that we have to "browse" through the store even though we know exactly what we are going there for?  Sorry to hear of your relative passing as well. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Lovely tree, Icer. It is really fun to see all the tree decorations, but also interesting, they are more or less alike. My tree is up, the lights are on, and I will decorate it this weekend. Then picture time.
    Your cactus is beautiful. Looks like it has white flowers?  Lovely.
    But please tell us, what is the thing hanging underneath it? Is it an airplane of some sort? My imagination ran dry - Pingo

In Response to Re: December Chat 2010:

Posted by icer

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Thanks everybody for your kind words and thoughts.  This lovely woman was relatively well and still living at home with her daughter when she passed. Had been to the hairdresser and lunch a week before. Can't ask for much more at that age.

kar, sorry for your losses.  Always seems to happen this time of year.

bg, hang in there.  You have us here pulling for your daughter and I'm keeping you and your husband in my thoughts and prayers.

mothermitzi   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Bg, of course you and your family is in my thoughts and prayers. Happy to hear (only under these circumstances, though) that your daughter is admitted to the best place available.
    Naturally your DD must be going through a very hard time. She has hidden this for such a long time, and now that it all came out in the open, she will have to adjust to the fact, that everyone knows about her problem. Especially friends and school mates, that sometimes can be so cruel.
    Like tt suggested, I do hope she will find a group of peers, that have been going through the same.
    But it IS a curable disease and with God's grace, she will come back stronger than ever. Gratefully, you caught it before too late.
    I am sure, you must be worried about the upcoming Holidays with all the abundant food. I am hoping you and your DH are in a support group, that can help you with that.
    Best to you my dear - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  Not sure what happaned as I had replied about an hour ago.  Beautigul tree mm.  bg, I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.  I hope everyone has a great day.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar and November,
    Let me join the group for those lovely "date nights" at Lowe's and HD (mostly HD). DH will usually bribe me w/ dinner out, then on the way, "Oh I just have to stop at Lowe's/DH for a few minutes". Not for our home, but for construction projects, he is doing. After a while, that spending time together looking for nuts and bolts does not work so much. Those few minutes usually turn into an hour or more. Browsing, browsing, browsing. And me bored to death.
    But I have smartened up. Now, dinner will be waiting for him at home after his HD/Lowe's visits. This works for both of us - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

I can take no credit for this tree (even though it's in my house) but here it is. Looks lovely at night.  DD did a great job :-)

mothermitzi

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Pingo - I usually browse my way over to the carpets, or paint, or light fixtures and start suggesting things to change around the house.  That gets him out of there real quick!  I mean really boys, are the dewalt drills in the store so different than the ones in the garage that we must visit them on every trip to HD?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

tt - you must live down the street from me Wink  We've had a large adult female deer and two smaller ones visit our yard several times in the last week. They usually appear just before dusk. So far they're just nibbling the grass and haven't tried the bird feeders. I wonder if these are the same ones that ate all my hostas down to the nubs this summer.

bg - my thoughts go out to your dd and your family.

mm - pretty tree

november - too funny

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pretty tree mm.  I'm sure I see date nights visiting HD in my future.  Luckily my son will start saying this is boring....and I'll get an escape :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

What a humungous tree, mm!  Looks so real.  They really did a nice job with it.  I'm certainly going to hesitate posting my itsy bitsy table top one that until now I thought was quite the right size!  I'll have to give the girls orders to do it up extra special with all the unbreakable ornaments - tho I probably could use some of my others now, Cheerio hasn't gone near hide nor hair of it this year.  No bad influence around, you see.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Thanks everybody.  She didn't get the tree decorating gene from me, that's for sure!  Probably got it from her grandmothers :-)   

tt, I usually have a tiny table top tree of the Charlie Brown variety, so this is a nice switch for me!  Next year, I'll be back to the Charlie Brown tree.  LOL  

So far, the new kittie isn't interested.  I was worried at first because almost all the ornaments are breakable.  Hopefully, he stays away.

I have a beautiful amaryllis in bloom.  Can never time the blooming to coincide with Christmas.  Just like my Christmas cactus, which always seems to bloom in time for Thanksgiving. 

mothermitzi

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Beautiful tree, mm. I love the insert of the berry branches. Never seen that before. So pretty.
    And that star! I am looking for a new one. The one we have is not lighing up this year, but the ones we have come across, we don't like.
    Anyone know, where to look?
    - Pingo

I can take no credit for this tree (even though it's in my house) but here it is. Looks lovely at night.  DD did a great job :-) mothermitzi
    Posted by mothermitzi

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hi kar,

I have a FaceBook account and I have my settings set so only friends and family can view me.  But you can delete a FaceBook account.  Here are the instructions below in case you want to delete yours:

Copy and paste www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account" title="http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account" class="external free">http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account once you have logged on.  You will get a pop up window with "Delete my Account"

Click "Submit" and follow instructions. There will be a simple password and a Captcha spam check to enter in. Captcha spam checks are to make sure you are the real owner of your account and not an automated program.

Do not login or connect with your Facebook account. You will receive an email saying that your account will be deleted in 14 days. Any interaction with the account during that period could prevent it from being deleted, so for 14 days:
    • Do not try to login to your Facebook account; you may want to clear your browser cache and delete your cookies so that you don't login inadvertently.
    • Do not click the Facebook Share or Like button on any site you visit.
    • Do not use Facebook Connect to login to or signup on any site (see Before You Start, above.)

Wait and watch. At the end of 14 days, all of your posts, comments, info, etc., will be permanently made inaccessible on Facebook.

tt, I am not comfortable with Facebook.  I had an "empty" profile with NO information at all (even my name on FB was "Kar Giver") simply so I could see other people's postings.  You can set your privacy settings such that people can't find you if they search on your name; it blocks it from the search.  However, I find that their privacy settings are hard to find AND confusing to boot.  So, I abandoned the whole thing, hiding my profile completely (you cannot actually delete it once it's created).  So, bottom line, you can create a dummy account with no personal information whatsoever if you want to be able to have access to your friends' and family's pages.  Friends, missed you all during the IL's visit, but we did have a lovely time.    They suggested going out to dinner to give me a break, which while very generous and thoughtful of them, wasn't what I had hoped for.  It's not a break to me to go out in the cold, sit in a crowded restaurant, get mediocre food, and have anyone pay a lot for it.  So, I assured them that while we appreciated the thought I'd rather cook what I had planned (and already started, actually) and serve dinner on the new tablecloth, tapers lit and our choice of dinner music.  For dinner we had braised Italian beef and vegetables on a bed of quinoa and scallions with a side of mashed potato (cook and eat version, no garlic), and raspberry pie I made with our frozen raspberries from the summer.  Every plate was practically licked clean even though they'd never had quinoa before; it was a risk, but happily everyone liked it.  Gracie was well behaved, and we enjoyed a quiet, fun evening with the tree lit and the wood stove crackling.  Glad your mom's pie crust came out superb, flakey and light, tt.  However, speaking of Pillsbury, I've used that before, too, and it's surprisingly a lot like homemade (better than some people's lead-like crust that I have to choke down with a less than honest "Mmmm."). Brambles - how lovely they look.  Wish I could reach in and grab a bite!! Yes, more photos, everyone!   Love to see everyone's creations and decorations.  Isn't technology something? DH will be home all week on vacation finishing the gutters and other assorted to-dos before the first real snow.   Then, the parties start.  Next Saturday, a friend's, the next Sunday my SIL's, then on Christmas Day, our house. Must set about to cleaning up the mess of having company while DH is out with Gracie.  The in-laws are going with their daughter to see Andrea Bocelli tonight at the Garden and they asked me to find a good Italian restaurant they can walk to from there.  Any ideas? Have a blessed day, ~kar
      Posted by kargiver

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

BG, glad she is getting top notch treatment.  Not sure how much you know about this disease, but I will give you a heads up if this is new to you - this might be the first of many trips in a long process of ups and downs, healing, backsliding, and healing again.  It's a hideous affliction that usually gives its suffers (first and second hand) a long, difficult run before emotional health is more of a given than a wish.  Blessings through your journey with your DD.

Nov, DH isn't a browser, LOL!  He's more of a surgical strike kind of guy with a long to-do list for the week that he's eager to accomplish.  Gracie is driving him nuts.  Welcome to my world of a needy "two year old" who always wants to play!

Ambergirl, thanks for the FB info!!!

Pingo, how did the interview go?  Sorry you have to go through that process; so stressful and time consuming and disappointing to lose the great person you have.

~kar

MM, gorgeous tree!  Love all the special, unique ornaments.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

tt - you must live down the street from me   We've had a large adult female deer and two smaller ones visit our yard several times in the last week. They usually appear just before dusk. So far they're just nibbling the grass and haven't tried the bird feeders. I wonder if these are the same ones that ate all my hostas down to the nubs this summer. bg - my thoughts go out to your dd and your family. mm - pretty tree november - too funny
    Posted by Celia2

The deer didn't seem at all interested in the feeder, were at the back where the cleared lawn meets the woods, and along the side where I have evergreen trees.  There's something there at their head level that they like to nibble on.  Hated that the young got separated from their mom.  Hopefully she had some way of calling to them when they went out the front and she out the back over the fence.  I know not too far from me is a "sportsman", as he likes to refer to himself who carries permits in hunting season for bow and arrow.  I do have a couple of old apples and a couple of turnips from Thanksgiving and I'm torn between putting them out tonight in case they do come again, and not wanting to encourage them to come this far from the safety (?) of the deeper woods.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

kar - at least gracie doesn't want to help DH! your post brought back memories of my son "helping" us on projects when he was a toddler/preschooler. We would have to add hours onto our project time. My son loved it. Because of the toddler help factor we hired out many a job that we could do ourselves because the job with the extra kid help would just take too long. My son loved to help me bake as well. you should have seen our kitchen after he helped me with the baking. measuring flour was a favorite for him. it was amazing how far the flour would fly. still i miss those days now that he's a teenager.

tt- our deer stay near the woods as well. Sometimes it's just the big deer on the lawn and the two younger deer on the edge of the woods. They're hard to see if they're in the woods. I only notice them by the flicking of their tails. Actually the only time that we've had deer at the feeder was during one winter when the snow was deep. That was the same year that they ate a holly bush down to the sticks. I never knew that deer would eat holly. They ate my neighbor's evergreen bushes that year as well. Our holly recovered nicely can't say the same for the neighbor's plants.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Poor things were hungry.  It's just this one shrub/tree that they stick their heads into and eat while the mother keeps watch.  I did put the turnip and apples up at the edge.  The way I saw them this morning was because the foliage is gone from the trees on my second lot and I could see the movement of their long legs going across the yard, silhouetted against the trees.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I guess deer time is on. I almost hit a young one in bright daylight today on our street. He/she was just staying there staring at me, not moving at all.
    I have warned all my friends for years to watch out for them, when coming to visit us.
    Once when our son and DIL was visiting a couple of years ago, we had at least 25 - 30 deer in our back yard, at the edge of the woods. I was busy doing kitchen chores, she was having an early morning cuppa. I suddenly heard her scream, "Come see this!" Couldn't believe my eyes.
    They may look beautiful, but I am not happy having them around. They do a lot of damage to our shrubs and our lawn.
    tt, please don't feed them. You will be really sorry - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, just saw this on Everyday Food. With your fudge in your freezer, it may be of interest to you:
    http://www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/chocolate-candy-recipes?xsc=eml_edf_2010_12_07&#slide_30
    - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Pingo. Nice ideas for packaging.  I will put out a dish of fudge and then tuck a few pieces in those clear plastic gift bags that I get at Michael's, and add them to each basket.  Love those bags tied with a pretty grosgrain ribbon, and have bought a good supply of them for individually wrapped gingerbread men.  Have so much that I have to do, but only a few days ahead of time so everything will be fresh (2 batches of gingerbread men to roll, bake and wrap, half moons to frost, plum pudding and sauce to bake).  Wish I had the stamina I used to have.  Thanks for thinking of me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

DH did hit a deer a couple of years ago because it was bounding happily across the road to get to the house of the woman who had been feeding it.

Gracie tried to "help" DH all day - he finally had to have me bring her in.  Celia, the more I learn about toddlers the more I feel like I have one. ;)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

I've always thought that having a dog would be like having a perpetual toddler. One of the reasons that I have cats rather than a dog

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

UGH - I just moved 1 ton of wood pellets from our garage to our cellar. Now DH can park in garage when he gets home. Luckily the 2nd ton pallet fits in between where we park our cars. I may just skip my weight training tomorrow morning and instead head straight to the sauna at the gym.

Sections
Shortcuts