December Chat 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: December Chat 2010

Beautiful tree, Kar. I know you made the dollies and the snow flakes. Did you make the angel too?
    I have a table cloth very similar. I bought it eons ago, and I really need a new one. It was used for the kiddie table, so there are lots of spills, I have a hard time to get off. But the kids don't mind. LOL
    My tree is up and lit, but I still have to decorate it. Will take a pix when done.
    Looks like you had a lot of fun decorating your home. :)
    - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

TT..Did you change your nom to Mrs. Peel?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I know I saw it said a different nom..now its back

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thank you, ladies!  Gracie and I had good time - better than last year when she was into EVERYTHING as puppies are prone to do.  Yes, I crocheted everything; the angel, snowflakes, and doily.

Warning, Pingo, if you go to Target to replace that table cloth, get a longer one than you need.  I have to return this one; it shrunk in the wash by about 5 inches so the ends don't hang over the edge of the table.

I'm enjoying myself, but the day is flying by too fast.  I still have to polish the silver (plated) set that came from DH's grandmother and clean so the decorations look good in a nice clean house.  AND, start thinking about dinner really soon....where does the time go???

Thanks, again, everyone for sharing our home with us. :)

~kar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: December Chat 2010:
    [QUOTE]TT..Did you change your nom to Mrs. Peel?
    Posted by icer[/QUOTE]

I didn't, but I can - - -  I like that!  I do think some of the staff do have a bit of fun with our avatars and noms from time to time.  Probably a boring afternoon.  They can change me back if they want.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, oh the horror shopping for boys that age...lol.  All my son wants are video games oh and more video games.  For his stocking I usually stick underwear and socks in there with some pencil erasers (he uses them like they were going out of style) and then a couple of things of candy.  He's not big and candy and I don't want to get stuck eating it.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar, that angel is awesome, I would definitely spend money on one of those.  I love angels.  Thanks for the house wishes.  Next year we will have a blast decorating I'm sure.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You're welcome - I know you'll have so much fun decorating even before Christmas! 

Thanks!  I wish I could make them faster so I could sell them.  They take about 30 hours, though, and I move right along.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It's funny, Winter, when I was talking about stocking fillers with my son today, we talked about what they put in the kids stockings - candy!  I'm horrified every time I hear that, I said, "Don't you remember how much fun opening your stocking the first thing Christmas morning was?  All the little things in there?"  At one time we even wrapped each thing in red or green tissue and tied them all together with red curling ribbon - probably because we didn't have much money and we wanted the boys to be able to open as many presents as possible.  Then too, they could get up at 5 a.m. if they wanted and take their stocking to their room and open it, as long as they didn't get us up until at least 6:00.  I told him today he's forgotten his humble beginnings and from whence he came.  When he told me the price they paid for the Thanksgiving take out dinner for 6, I nearly fell off my chair.  Told him next year he can pay me that and I'll cater their meal for them!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---Told him next year he can pay me that and I'll cater their meal for them! ---

tt, that sounds like a real good idea - and they may even invite you to their table.
    Win, win for both parties. - P

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    That angle is just --- beautiful. My grandmother used to make ornaments like this. She would starch them in sugar water. Is this what you do? Just look at the wings on your angle. How beautiful. I am so happy, that those old time crafts are not completely lost. Especially as a young lady like you, still honor them.
    Bless you  - Pingo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh tt, please don't get the chatters the wrong impression of me. I am not against cats at all. But when my sister's cat left 3 pieces of a tape worm on the bed, I was supposed to sleep in --- that really gave me the the creeps and antipathy of having cats in bedrooms.
    My sister's cats were indoor during the day. Outdoor at night. May that makes a difference.
    Our son has two very lovely indoor only cats. And I do love them. But they are not allowed on the kitchen counters and on tables. And that suits me just fine. So far, I have never seen them jump on the kitchen counter. My DIL uses a cleaner with a lemon scent, that cats apparently dislike.
    - Pingo

[QUOTE]Reading your post, Amber - don't the cats paw the bulbs out of the bowl?  Or, do you have well behaved cats that don't jump up on the kitchen table?  Shhhh, don't let Pingo hear that I said that, she has a thing about cats on counters, tables, etc. so even tho they're Cloroxed a couple of times a day, I'd never be able to invite her here for a cuppa, 'cause my cat is everywhere.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pingo, I don't think any of us cat owners "allow" our cat(s) on the tables or counters.  Neither do I think that just because we reinforce this when we see it, does it keep them from going wherever they want when you're not around.  When I'm in here on the computer lots of times I hear Cheerio jump down from somewhere - now that could only be a table or counter, so I know she's up there at some point.  Hence the frequent wipe down of Clorox wipes, and hence, you and I will never be able to share a cuppa in my kitchen!  You'd be too uncomfortable and that in turn would make me uncomfortable.  We were meant to be just online friends!  Don't think I gave anyone the impression that you don't like cats per se. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

You asked me what my granddaughters are reading.  The 9 year old is into the 'Princess Tales' series by Gail Carson.  At the moment, the 7 year old is into the 'Eloise' series by Kay Thompson.  

I'm so tired at night, I can't read more than a page or two before falling asleep. My reading is suffering at the moment!

mothermitzi 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Meant to mention too, Pingo, that Marshall's had some very nice looking table cloths yesterday.  I didn't pay too much attention because I have a solid red cloth that I put a white lace one over each year.  I think one cloth in front had a price of $14.99.  Usually Marshall's are name brands, so I don't think you'd be so apt to run into a shrinkage problem.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, thinking about gift buying for 10 yr. old boys - when I was having the stitches removed, nurse and I were talking about just that.  She has a nephew that age, and said the one thing he does love if they're not too easy are the Lego sets they have now.  She and a brother were going to chip in for one of the really big expensive ones for him.  Forgot about that until I was talking with my DIL last night asking for hints of what to get her 10 yr. old grandson.  Lo and behold she mentioned Lego buildings!  I googled Amazon and see they have really expensive set ups for $60 - $70, but I'm sure if I go back in and scoot around I'll come up with something more in the $25 range that might be a challenge for him.  - Just throwing that out there, might work for your son, and I'm going to check with youngest to see if his 10 yr. old might like a challenging one.  I remember when he was younger, his mother loved to put them together, and the two of them would spend really quality time working on a project.  Might work.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thank you mm and tt for both hints. Books and table cloth. Will check both out.

Also, Lego is always a hit at all ages. We have an entire closet full of them, enough to open a Lego store. My parents used to send them to our boys and got them the newest sets long before we could buy them here. It was a great hit with their friends. Once we had the floor of the family room covered with all kinds of set ups, pre-time, now-time and space - and boy did they play with that and what fantasies they had. Wish I had taken some videos of them playing with them.
    For the older boys, there are also manuals one can buy, that give even more opportunities with the blocks, they already have. Then there are the stocking stuffers of the little people or small cars f.ex. - that always can be used with the larger sets.
    Today is workday for me again. Want to go in early, so I can leave early. I just hate to drive home, when it is dark. Not that I am afraid of driving, but I feel so depressed, when it gets dark at 4.
    You all have a great day - Pingo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Kar, That angle is just --- beautiful. My grandmother used to make ornaments like this. She would starch them in sugar water. Is this what you do? Just look at the wings on your angle. How beautiful. I am so happy, that those old time crafts are not completely lost. Especially as a young lady like you, still honor them. Bless you  - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Dear.  I've done my part to not let the craft die having taught about 10 girls how to crochet.  I know at least one of them still does - she just asked my advice a month ago on a project and sent me photos of her beautiful finished piece (a purse).  My grandmother always used sugar water, too, to stiffen the fine work, but I use a commercial stiffener called Stiffy.

Well, today I'm off to Target to return my shrunken tablecloth.  I'll get the longer one and hope it shrinks just as much, or it'll be way too long.  If I bemoan the extra trip, don't listen.  I enjoy having a reason to get out of the house. ;)

I'm watching QVC, and they have what seem to be the loveliest flameless candles with chickadees or cardinals on the wax. Check 'em out online.  I might have bought one of each, but they have a vanilla scent, and I'm allergic to fake vanilla.  They even have a self timer!  Why do they have to put scent in everything?   Oh, well, it saves us $40.

Looks like a pretty day, yay!  Yesterday, I had to push Gracie out the door to do her thing.  She was so bored all day, stuck inside.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Why do they have to put scent in everything? " 

We were saying the very same thing when we went to the Christmas Festival last month.  Were looking at some beautiful bees wax ornaments, G.T. was thinking of adding yet another tree decorated with just those, but they were all scented gingerbread!  Really sickening when you were standing in the midst of a stall full of them on 3 sides. Unscented they would have been perfect.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Here is a really cute picture of my 2 kitties together.  I thought you might enjoy tt.  They could sit in front of the storm door for hours : )

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

OMG, how cute is that!  With the caption:  "Waiting for Santa - " would make a cute Christmas card.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Yes that would make a great caption for a Christmas card!  You always come up with the cutest things tt on top of your great poems.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning  tt.  My son does legos but don't think he'd spend too much time on them.  Last time he had a bigger one, I and my FI did most of it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That was the case with my grandson, but I do remember how much he loved having his mother all to himself while SHE was actually putting the Pirates of the Caribbean together!

MY DIL mentioned a couple of other things I had never heard of:  Backugons, Bionicles (Lego) and Tech Decks (skateboards for fingers).  So at least I have a few options to check out.  Trying to decide where to head after I have my second cup of coffee.  Not Toys R Us, hate going in there, but maybe some local stores.  Sometimes they have good sales on popular items too.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

Dear Kar;

You would make a wonderful Girl Scout Leader!  We welcome women who have wonderful gifts and talents, as you do.  I wish I could get you to work with my troops.