December Chat 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: December Chat 2010

tt, oh, how I envy Cheerio!  He looks so darned cute and comfy.  Lovely picture.

Nov, so nice you can go out with your mom tonight for dinner and shopping.  I'd love to be able to do that; darn those 500 miles...

The new tablecloth is in the washer, and hopefully it will shrink as much as the first one did or it will be too long.  I'm doing everything the same way.  DH was so disappointed when he came home and the old tc was still on the table.  He's pretty into the decorations - kind of funny for such a manly man he is. :)

He'll be home soon, and I "goofed off" most of the day, stopping at our town diner for lunch, hitting my friend's antique shop for napkin rings, driving all the way back to Target, and wrapping up at the little grocery store in town.  Poor Gracie was in the cold all day, but she seems no worse for wear.  I'm having issues getting the stove going, again; I think it's just smoking.  Better see what's up there and get dinner started.

Blessings,
    ~kar

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Seeing as I haven't posted any pics of Cheerio lately - - here she is with her mouse on the new Christmas rug:

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh my, tt, I want to have one of those - the CAT that is. But DH says ,"No!". I am working on it though. Such a cute picture. Guess who is running your household?
    Btw. love your new rug - so pretty.
    Worked hard all day. Numbers are flying in and out my ears. Balancing statements, billing etc. etc. Good the weekend is in sight.
    - Pingo

In Response to Re: December Chat 2010:
    [QUOTE]Seeing as I haven't posted any pics of Cheerio lately - - here she is with her mouse on the new Christmas rug:
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    I finally got my Stegmans. It took only 7 weeks. They must have gone personally to Austria to sheer the sheep to make these thingies, I am wearing right now.
    But oh, how I love them. They are the best. Was truly worth waiting for. I have only one problem with them, I feel the soles are kind of slippery, but I guess that will wear out as I use them. Thinking of finding some sand paper. LOL
    - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Guess who is running your household?"

I know, she has become such a camera ham - "Look, Ma, take a pic."

Be careful with your new slippers(?).  I find I have to be really careful when buying shoes that they have some kind of grip on the sole, never get those smooth smooth ones, particularly if they're to be worn outside on the slippery floors of the malls.

I wrapped my first couple of Christmas gifts this afternoon.  Had bought some Santa paper at the Dollar Tree and half expected it at $1 a roll to tear as I tried to wrap.  But, it was surprisingly good quality.  Did up the 3 large toys with no problem.

Spent a little while ordering some cookie cutters this afternoon, a couple to put in baskets.  For my granddaughter I found a Chinese Crested dog cutter, and you also can order a recipe for dog treats.  Since she already makes him treats, thought this would be a cute extra to put in hers.  Her basket is just about filled, some people it is just easier to buy for.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I know what you mean. But these are supposed to be slippers. I have never invested in such an expensive pair of slippers before in my entire life. But I just love these. I asked my PT, for a comfortable pair of slipper, and he suggested these.
    The price of them kind of boggled me, but when Kar told me, she was wearing them, I was all sold. They are the best pair of shoes/slippers I have ever worn, and that is me saying this after only two hours of wearing them. OMG, where have I been all these years. And I am from Europe.
    Wanted to get some for the rest of the family for Christmas, but if they have to go and shear some more sheep in Austria, Christmas will be long gone. Will now think of birthdays.
    Thank you Kar, for your review. I am "in love" with my Stegmans.
    - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

So I just read Pingo's last note - your avatar was correct, but your username was displayed as  "gtizzle."  So I went off the page, came right back, and it said "Pingo."  I think these anomalies are programming errors on the part of the rotten software engineers employed by "The Well."  In other words, a buffer that holds the "username" info is not being cleared or rewritten properly.

Another problem I have noticed is that when you click on "mark all as read" it does not change the "read" indicator until the second time you click "mark all...." And having that at the top of the page rather than the bottom is so counter intuitive, it makes me really angry every day...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Kar,

As someone from an interfaith family, I say send the card to your Jewish friends. I myself am delighted to receive cards from friends even if the cards aren't aimed at my family's holidays. It's a nice thing that you're doing it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

[QUOTE]Congrats, Winter!  Enjoy - it truly looks like a lovely home. Here are some photos of the kargiver Christmas decorations, as promised. :)
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    Kar, Your tree is beautiful!!  The two colors and the crocheted snowflakes really go very well together...are you the crocheter??  Does Gracie stay away from the tree? ss

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi Lemon,
    We all know that software are never 100% bullet proof. I encountered this today at my office. A software we have used for a zillion years, suddenly started to misbehaving. I entered a date and the software changed it. So frustrating.
    But as far as BDC is concerned, these things has happened more often lately.
    Two days ago, we were w/o internet for most of the day, b/c someone had hacked into our internet provider. Just don't know what kind of pleasure those clowns are getting out of this.
    And you are right "mark as read" never works - so I just don't use it.
    Oh well, technology. Back to write Christmas cards - by hand. I can trust my hands. At least for now - Pingo

[QUOTE]So I just read Pingo's last note - your avatar was correct, but your username was displayed as  "gtizzle."  So I went off the page, came right back, and it said "Pingo."  I think these anomalies are programming errors on the part of the rotten software engineers employed by "The Well."  In other words, a buffer that holds the "username" info is not being cleared or rewritten properly. Another problem I have noticed is that when you click on "mark all as read" it does not change the "read" indicator until the second time you click "mark all...." And having that at the top of the page rather than the bottom is so counter intuitive, it makes me really angry every day...
    Posted by lemoncoke[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Kar, Your tree is beautiful.....the two colors compliment each other real nice.  Did you crochet the snowflakes and angel?  Thought that was a lost art, I do a lot of crocheting, always have a afghan going.  tt....I used to do the same things for my girls stockings, with the same idea , let us sleep a bit longer....I used to wrap everything in the stocking,one yr. I got Barbies at Zayres on Christmas eve, they were naked and dirty looking, took them home,cleaned them up, dressed them in the girls own doll clothes, made jewlery with common pins and old beads,   put them in the stockings last, we could hear them exclaiming about how beautiful they were, the didn't even recongnize the clothes on the dolls. Times sure have changed...ss

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I am happy to report a very successful shopping tirp, and more importantly, a lovely evening with Mom.  When I got home though, I had to hide all of the gifts away as DS will be coming up tomorrow for the weekend.  Since I was in the basement, I decided to pull out boxes and put all of the fall decorations away.  Hopefully we'll get the tree up and decorated with DS here.

TT I thought of you at Kohls - there was an overabundance of candles that smelled like cinnamon.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Novembride, glad you had such a successful evening. Isn't it a great feeling to get at least some of the presents bought and out of the way?  On another note, now that you've got me associated with the smell of cinnamon, hope I don't creep into your thoughts every time you smell a cinnamon bun!

Have a lot I want to get done today, including running out to a couple of stores I didn't get to yesterday.  On one of the news channels last night I did hear the "s" word as a possibility (on a small scale) next week.  Want to get out and get as much of what I can, bought.  Have to get things ready to put in the mail too.  Going to a small Christmas celebration tonight and still haven't decided what to get ready to wear.  So, I'll probably not be on the boards much.

Good to see your post, ss.  How is your shopping coming along? 

Hope everyone has a fruitful day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, so happy you mentioned the Stegmann's and I was able to comfort you about spending the big bucks.  I believe you can wear them outside, but of course they won't last as long.  I should have gotten mine resoled at a cobbler before the cork started wearing away.  If you ony wear yours inside, you'll have that same pair possibly forever.  If you got the "original" cork bottomed ones, make sure you buy the cork treatment and do it once a year so it doesn't dry out and crumble over the years.

SS, yes, I'm the crocheter, thank you so much.  My great-grandmother and grandmother taught me around the old kitchen table when I was 7 years old.  I've kept it up and taught others my whole life.  I enjoyed your story of the doll clothes.  I'd have done the same thing!  Times have changed.  We try to live an old fashioned life out here in the woods.

RDG, thanks, too, for weighing in on the card to my Jewish friends.  I'll do it with joy and not worry a bit.  We've been friends going on 20 years now, so suddenly it seems silly that I worried at all.  But, we are indoctrinated with "happy holidays," now, so I wondered if I sent something to them with "Merry Christmas" if I'd appear insensitive.  Crazy, I guess.

The house is all decorated, but now must be cleaned in good shape.  My in-laws will be here Saturday night for dinner and overnight.  They return for the cold season to FL next week so this will be our Christmas dinner.  Then, another Christmas dinner at SIL's.  Then, the "real" Christmas dinner on Christmas Day at our house.  Of course, the parents will miss those two occassions.  Happily BIL will be accompanying them to FL and missing everything, too.  Well, happily for everyone but my in-laws, that is, but he has to be somewhere, right?  I can't help it if I'm ecstatic it's not with us. 

I'm LOVING the new tablecloth from Target.  It really brings the whole red/gold theme together whereas the dining room was pretty lackluster without it.  A good $13 spent.

Oh, someone asked about Gracie, my perfect Christmas angel.  Innocent She doesn't touch a thing.  Last year, she was 7 months old at this time and was into everything!  I am so proud of the dog she's become.  Quite the lady. Kiss

So, it'll be a busy day for me prepping for the in-laws today.  But, before I start, I think I'll have another cuppa and some breakfast.

Have a great Friday, everyone!  TGIF!!

~kar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  Novembride sounds like you and your mom had a fabulous time.  Pingo, the slippers sound warm and comfy.  tt, sounds like you are making great progress.  I don't have one Christmas gift bought at this time. Kar, have a pleasant visit with your ILs. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Oh, tt - now I definitely will think of you when making cinnamon buns!  Some smells just can't be replicated.  That fake cinnamon scent in candles is potpurri is so different from the real thing, to my nose anyways. Just like those pine tree air fresheners smell nothing like a real pine tree.  I don't think I'd ever get sick of the smell of warm cinnmon buns out of the oven though.  Have fun at your party tonight!

Kar - I'm glad the new tablecloth worked out.  Sometimes its just that one little detail that makes everything fall into place.  I'm sure your inlaws will appreciate your decorations making this weekend a true early Christmas.  And a big pat to Gracie for not disturbing the decorations!  This will be Jax's first Christmas with us and I have no idea how he'll react to the tree, etc. His "leave it" is good, so I'm hopeful we won't need to put up a baby gate.  Last night on our walk he barked at one of those lighted reindeer that moves its head. 

Pingo - great to hear that you are enjoying your new slippers!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Jax will do great if his "leave it" is good.  Gracie wasn't great at that one until she was about 10 months old.

Thanks, Winter, we'll have a great time.  They are lovely people I enjoy being around.

Still haven't gotten moving...the day is evaporating!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    I get nervous reading about all these shopping trips. I am like Winter, not one present bought yet. I have to say though, we have chiseled down a lot. It just got out of hand with in-laws and everyone else.
    We used to spend hours (days) looking for just the right present for everyone, and what did we get in return - a $2 picture frame sans picture. I know, I know - one should not put a price tag on everything. It is the "pleasure" of giving - but when it is so loop sided, the pleasure somehow goes out the window. It is not the money thing but the effort thing, that bugs me.
    So now, we have our very special Christmas for our immediate family on the 24th (which has always been the Christmas for us anyway) and on the 25th , we invite the in-laws and friends. No gift - except for young children under 12. This has worked out so much better for the past years.
    Reading about SS's doll gifts made a point. These days gift giving has spiraled out of control.

Kar, enjoy your pre Christmas with your in-laws. Is BIL joining you? So nice of you to have the entire house decorated for their visit. I am sure they will appreciate it. What's on the menu?
    And thanks for the tip in regard to the cork soles. Where do I buy this stuff? Funny they didn't mentioned in the attached instructions. Guess, they just want us to buy new ones.

--- now that you've got me associated with the smell of cinnamon, hope I don't creep into your thoughts every time you smell a cinnamon bun---

What is wrong with that, tt? You are always associated with pleasant thoughts.
    tt, where did you hear about the "s" word? I have been scouring the news, didn't see it. Hope you are wrong and I am right.

Got to get going. Have to drop DH off at the AP soon. Will have to pick him up again late tonight. Ugh!

- Pingo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Speaking of lopsided, we drew names for the first time in DH's family, and the ones who NEVER gave Christmas presents (but always received from everyone else) were ticked.  Everyone else is down from buying 5 gifts for the adults to 2.  They are up from 0 to 2.  Needless to say, I don't feel bad for them.  They are financially able to participate with as much joy as everyone else in the family.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

An awful lot of "bah humbugs" on this morning's board.  Give what you want at Christmas, as expensive or inexpensive as you wish.  I love Christmas shopping  myself.  For me the joy is in the hunt.

Speaking of which, went to Trader Joe's this morning - first time in months.  Found loads of treats for the Christmas baskets, some cat treats for Cheerio, and a box of windmill cookies and a small decorated pine tree for me!  Had my eye peeled for you, Pingo, I looked pretty good this morning, so didn't care if we happened to bump into each other!  Left there for Cardsmart and then Hanniford's (love their 85% Angus hamburg) and then stopped at KMart where I picked up a couple of more things, but unfortunately, a pkg of different colored ink pens I picked up were being recalled!  Darn.  I thought they were perfect for putting with a journal I have bought for a young teen.

Now have to give serious thought to what I'm going to wear tonight.  Lunch, Y&R, and then upstairs to see how well I have filled those baskets at this point.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I know exactly, what you mean. We tried that one too - drawing names. Didn't work at all. The cheapos, didn't have a clue. We set a common price. That year DH got an Hallmark notebook size calendar (I believe one can pick them up for free), and I received an apron with three sauce or grease spots on it.  It went right in the trash. I guess if the giftgiving spirit is not there, it will never show up no matter how hard you try.
    If I could cancel Christmas with one part of my husbands family, I would in a second. But DH would feel bad. If we invite half the family, we have to invite all of them. Argh! So, I do this year after year after year just for him. Fortunately, he is worth my aggravations.
    Hope your name drawing works out for your family. - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I totally enjoy gift giving!  But, it would be more fun if everyone in the family enjoyed it just as much, that's all. 

I don't know what's on the menu yet for Saturday night, but DH asked me to make a berry pie with our frozen ones so dessert is decided at least.  BIL won't be here, I'm assuming.  If I ask and they answer I still won't know because he lies to everyone about everything.  So, what can I do.  Nothin' but hope.

ETA:  Here's some shoe cork conditioner, Pingo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I love buying Christmas presents, I just haven't started yet.  I hope too this weekend.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I also enjoying searching for the right gift for everyone, but my favorite part of gift-giving is wrapping!  Sick, I know, but I love to choose pretty papers and ribbons and do different arrangements and make everything just so.  I guess I like giving everyone something pretty to open. 

The adult kids in our family (my brothers, me and our spouses) also draw names and it has worked out really well. We each pick one person and cannot get our own spouse. This will be our third year doing so.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That's the way one of my DIL's families do it too, Novembride, drawing names.  They are a family of 6 siblings plus now spouses and kids, and this has always worked fine for them.

"I also enjoying searching for the right gift for everyone"

That's what I mean by the joy is in the hunt - finding just the right thing that you know someone is going to love.

My cat, LOVED the treats I picked up for her today!  Had never bought them before, but it was almost as tho she could smell them through the bottle and through double T.J. bags!  She began purring and rubbing against them as soon as I brought them in and set them down.  Only gave her one, and she looked at me like, "Is that all????"

Sections
Shortcuts