December Chat 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: December Chat 2010

Gracie gives me that look every time!  She's a piggy dressed up like a dog, I think.  LOL

We drew names for the first time this year on DH's side, and one of his siblings and his wife are pi$$y about it because they never gave anyone anything before, and now they "have to" buy 2 gifts.  Kind of disappointing, that's all, that they would see it that way.

On the other hand, we've been drawing names in my family for years and years.  Everyone participates with the joy one would hope for, dare I say expect for the Season.

I'm going to assume Gracie won't touch the presents and will wrap them this afternoon to go under the tree.  All of DH's are here and will make a nice pile.  He asked for his "big" gift, a GPS for his hikes and snowmobiling.  Could be a lifesaver, you never know.  I got him that and all the accessories - extra memory card (as per the reviews of the GPS), a detailed NE map of trails and parks, and carrying case.  Plus, a few things he doesn't know about.  A little 20 page 8x8 hard cover picture book of Gracie, a new pillow, and a cotton throw with the photo of Gracie in front of the wood stove (that we used for Christmas cards) woven into it.  Anything "Gracie" will be cherished forever...he loves her so much.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

That's a precious photo Kar. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---An awful lot of "bah humbugs" on this morning's board.  Give what you want at Christmas, as expensive or inexpensive as you wish. ---

tt, sorry for the vent. I love to give gifts as well as anyone else. I love to look for them, buy them, wrap them and watch when the receiver open them. But truly, when the other party is not into the joy of giftgiving, it becomes sadly too one sided. Other family members have complained as well about  this one side of DH's family.
    It is fine, if you don't want to participate, but then don't expect to receive. That is all - and that is the conclusion our family has reached. Everyone are much happier this way.
    Everything will work fine if your are a team player. - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It's all in the joy it gives you, Pingo.  I have a girlfriend, the wealthiest of my friends, who gives recycled gifts - which in itself is OK, but a couple of years ago I received a scented candle with a burned wick!  I still love to pick out something I know she will really like - just I have now scaled down the range from what I previously looked in!  And no, they're not recycled.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I take tons of joy in giving, and would much rather give than receive especially from DH because I feel like just living here, being his wife, not having to work outside our home is a gift every single day (well, aside from the days that include face time with BIL, lol).  But, isn't it sad that there was a sibling that bemoaned the drawing because it meant they had to give a gift to a sibling for Christmas when previously they just got to take?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

You know, Kar, maybe next year you should leave the two who don;t want to give gifts out of the draw.  They don't have to give and no one has to give them anything...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not my side of the family, not my call!  Yay!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Friends,
    I am so happy this got vented. I have always felt sad, that for some people - I just couldn't feel the joy of giving. So glad, I am not the only one feeling this way.
    Like tt's friends, these friends/family of ours have more than most wealthy people. Still they will give the "burnt wick candle" - as tt described so vividly.
    I do understand, that some people have not much to give, and that is perfectly fine with me. I will still embrace them in our Holiday celebrations with pleasure.
    But friends/family who think mo wrong to come to a Christmas celebration empty handed year after year after year, and still think it is fine for them to receive is just a bit too much for me to handle.
    Mr. P and I hardly ever argue, but this is a sore subject coming up every year, "Why do I have to keep inviting these people?". They don't know the joy of Christmas.
    Ok, I am off my soap box. Thanks for listening - Pingo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Reciprocity is appreciated even if you do truly love to give, I think.  It's just human nature.  Or, I'm exposing and excusing my own "secret" selfishness, I don't know!  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

In Response to Re: December Chat 2010:
    [QUOTE]Not my side of the family, not my call!  Yay!!
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Yes, but you can always plant a seed in DH and MIL's ears.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

I know in my DIL's family, they sort announce that at Thanksgiving they'll be doing the name draw for Christmas gifts, for those interested.  Anyone who isn't then has the opportunity to exclude themselves without anyone making a big deal of it.  I think just one year there was one sibling who for whatever reason didn't participate.  Nicer way to do it then to be either the person who doesn't want to give and feels forced to, or the resenter who is upset by one who takes a gift but doesn't reciprocate.  Why make someone feel uncomfortable.  As with my burned wick giving friend, I would not embarrass her for the world.  In fact in her defense, I'm think she might have received that gift in a Yankee swap, didn't want yet another candle, and in all probability never even opened the top to see that it had previously been lit.  Why not give her the benefit of the doubt?

Cards to write out, bills to pay, lists to be rewritten, pick a room, any room and clean from top to bottom - these are my plans for the day.  What about the rest of you?

A little addendum:  After posting on the Brambles post, may just make up some of the raisin ones.  Wish my pastry would come out like my mothers' but even tho I use the same ingredients, never is as flakey as hers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

A little addendum:  After posting on the Brambles post, may just make up some of the raisin ones.  Wish my pastry would come out like my mothers' but even tho I use the same ingredients, never is as flakey as hers

Are you using all purpose flour? I know there is a different flour for pastry. Just trying to help.

As far as the gift giving. Honey and I are giving people, but for Xmas we just do little gifts. There are a lot of expenses that come with the end of the year for me. I get rather poor by the time I pay for licenses and town taxes and property taxes and commercial registrations ect.

I don't do grabs for Honeys family, we used to, but I would just end up with my own item in the swaps...I don't have the time or resources to get myself a gift so I don't do it anymore. Besides that, Everyone has a holiday party for their work or charity or whatever they do, and I am always asked to contribute goodies or what not for no $ so ...Thats their gift. I make no bones about handing them their goodies and saying"Merry Christmas to you" Works for me!!

I usually select a random day and call it Honey Appreciation Day..He comes home to a bed full of gifts and a very nice dinner...My son and Mother join us and ...music please..."This is how we do it"

Have a great day everyone. Nice to see all the chattin' We should all post our trees when we get them up. Our goes up 2morow

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Nice post, Icer.  Do we get to see your tree tomorrow or the next day?  I'm thinking of doing the same as last year, inviting 3 friends for lunch, with a "decorate tt's tree" as a prerequisite for being fed!  As for your baking - no charge - darn lucky people.

The flour?  I use all purpose.  Do you think there was a difference in flours that my mother would have used back when I was a kid?  Remember, you're talking a LOT of years back - - - - and be very careful  how you answer that!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Yes TT I do think that the generations before us were more inclined to use a pastry flour. We all use Supermarkets now, when once upon a time, you went to a butcher for your meat ect. There is a difference in strength or gluten. Bread flour is the strongest..then cake flour then pastry flour. I have seen cake flour in the supermarket, might be worth a whirl.

I went to Culinary Arts school and we used to have to (by eye) tell the difference between them. This was to prepare us for the eventuality of being given the wrong flour by a vendor.

I like the idea of friends over to decorate the tree, You are soo cool TT.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, I have an insight from my late great-grandmother about the flakiness...or lack thereof.  She never changed the way she made her mother's recipes, and back when the genetic modifications of the flour strated, she noticed (very vocally and disgustedly) that the flour didn't "behave" the way it used to.  She was never able to reproduce HER OWN recipes that she'd made for decades to perfection.  She went to her grave believing "they ruined the wheat."  And, of course, you know my aunt concurs from a digestibility standpoint.  It's just not the same product that your mom used.  That's why, I believe as she did, that even though you literally do every single thing the exact same way you don't get the same result.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, you both make me feel a little better in not being the pie cook my mother was.  When I want to make a cake from scratch, and don't want to run out, I usually use my all purpose but double sift it.  I'll try that with the brambles - now that I've got my mouth drooling for them.  When I was first married I made cakes all the time from scratch and used Swans Down Cake Flour.  I don't know if they even still make that, but I do remember the last time I bought cake flour I felt it had been sitting on the store shelf way past its time.  Now I'm always leery of buying it - plus, now, I don't make that many cakes - I truly would eat the whole thing myself in the matter of a week.  My kids and their families are much better at avoiding sweets.  But what can you expect from a girl who was raised with homemade cakes every other day, cake for dessert, and always a glass of milk and a piece of two layer cake with chocolate frosting and raspberry jam in the middle, before going to bed?  --  It's all my mother's fault!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh how my DH loved his dessert
    But the flab 'round his middle
    did drive him berserk!

So he did ask me to lighten his tummy
    And I said with a giggle
    That means no more yummy!

Then like a baby he whined and cried
    But he'd asked for my help
    So his goose was fried

Now two years later he's quite the svelt Honey
    25 pounds lighter
    He's lost his whole tummy!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Thanks for the chuckle ~Kar~

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

So cute!  But it didn't inspire me to stop eating sweets!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

This is an interesting subject.
    Almost everything is genetically changed these days. When I was still working, we just started to change rice, so people in the 3rd world countries could get a better crop. I am sure  the same must have happened to the wheat. (Seedless oranges anyone?)
    I have the same problems making my pastries from my home country. My mother's pastry - so flaky and delicious - comes out like "bombs".
    tt, you may try to use cake flour. Don't buy the one on the shelf. They are mostly way outdated. To make your own, put 2 Tbs. of cornstarch in a cup measure then add the all purpose to measure. Then shift it. I have done that, and it works. Not as great as my mom's flour, but a lot better.
    Good luck, dear - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

2 tablespoons, pingo?  Seems a lot for a couple of cups, but I'll try it if that's what you meant.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks - it was a whine fest here ("I NEEEEEEEEEEEEED PIE!") for a LONG time, LOL!!

I seem to recall my grandmother using that cornstarch trick, too.  It's a chemical leavener so it literally lightens the flour.

I'm going offline probably 'til tomorrow.  The ILs will be here in just over 2 hours, and I'm not ready yet.  Must go to the grocery store first, then vacuum/wash floors, start pie, toss bread in the bread maker..........ack!

Bye for now and good day to all!

~kar

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes, tt. 2 Tbs. of corn startch per cup of flour. That is exactly, what I mean. I use it for certain things, and it does work well as a cake flour. Make sure you sift it well in order to mix it. - Pingo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

2 hours Kar? I am getting totally stressed out with you. Where is DH in this picture?
    Let him run the vac. - Pingo

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Just a side note here that I may be off line for a little while too..We are moving the computer room. Who knows if we will get everything hooked back up?!