December Chat 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: December Chat 2010

Well, that's a fine kettle of fish, you two are leaving Pingo and me to man the ship this weekend?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, you and I have done this before, when there was hardly any posters. Nothing new. Bless you my friend for hanging in there.
    As a side note. DH decided to stay over last night. Too much work to do. So now I have to pick him up this afternoon instead. Making my chicken curry and a plum chutney for him to come home to.
    tt, how are your boys doing? Kidney stones passed? The rotator cuff in place?
    Best wishes to GT and third (?) son. - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Plum chutney sounds good.  Share?

Actually, I get confused when number counting sons, I guess it is oldest is #1 (first born?)  In that case, G.T. is #3 son, and the one with shoulder problems is #2 son.  #4 son is one who had heart attack.  They all are doing good.  Won't know if the stones have been passed until the next scan/x-ray.  Son with shoulder problem is still going through physical therapy, no big change there as yet. 

Yes, you, I and mothermitzi have at times been the only posters on a regular basis.  Sure is good to see how the Chat has grown and has so many varied ages posters now.  

Haven't started brambles yet, will leave that for the afternoon as a treat once I have gotten even a single room straightened out to my satisfaction.  Have to check calendar to see when I can fit in my girls' luncheon, then start calling them to see what date works.  

Enjoy your day before you make that trip into the airport.  Hopefully your husband will be on the curb waiting, ready to jump in the open door. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh tt, that is exactly the way we do it. I will arrive a bit late, so DH have time to get out. DH will wait at the curb at departure, NOT arrival. Arrival is just too busy, and the staties are not that "energetic" at departure. LOL
    Was looking for your "brambles" - where are they? - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Work first, my dear, and then I'll allow myself the luxury of making the brambles!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

After I come home from the AP, I will make a shot at the brambles. tt, sounds like you have a lot leftover energy this AM. Want to share? I need a couple of rooms straightened out.
    Plum chutney? Will post it on "recipes to share". - P

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Posted a pic over on the Brambles site.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

And I posted my recipe for Plum Chutney just for you, on the recipes to share.

And I posted thIn Response to Re: December Chat 2010:
    Posted by toytrumpet

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

They look just delicious! Now, who is going to eat these? Let me take a guess. Hm!
    Did you make your own crust adding the corn starch? How did you like it? I have some frozen pie crusts from Pillsbury that will expire soon, think I will use those. Did you use the raisin filling? I have some home made mixed berry jam, would like to try that.  - Pingo

In Response to Re: December Chat 2010:
    Posted by toytrumpet

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I used the regular Crisco pie crust recipe and my mother must have been watching over me because it came out nice and flakey.  Yes, I used the raisin mixture, as I said, minus lemon.  I already have had two with that cup of tea you can just see in the pic.  Now have a meatloaf and baked potato in the oven for my supper.  I think the mxed berry jam will be superb, and no reason not to use the Pillsbury premade crust.  I really enjoy these and will make them again, next time with raspberry jam, tho I do like the raisin filling too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Finlandia. Show Finlandia's posts

tt, where do you live, Lynnfield or Reading?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

Welcome, Finlandia, but we  try to stick to areas rather than specific towns here. 

All our lights are up, after an emergancy trip to Home Depot for extension cords, and we just ate our Costco chicken dinner.  I went to a fair and got some cute little things, and am getting ready for our fair tomorrow.  The Christmas season is really here!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

All the towns seem to  be having their Christmas Walks and Fairs now that December is here.  Have yet to go to one, but you can find some treasures, SS does anyway.  I should pop in a few and see if there's anything I could use as a little something extra in my baskets.  Haven't divied it all out yet, (I'll definitely do that tomorrow) but I think yesterday's haul at T.J.'s should pretty much fill them except for perhaps a little personal touch here and there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

We didn't move the computer room today...TT I just loved your Brambles picture...The scent wafted through the computer..MMMMM
    We did however get our tree. Maybe this year I can show you Honeys devise for watering the tree. I say "We now water the tree like primates" because we don't have to bend under the tree.

TT ...I saw you were on Dotties recipe thread..I haven't had a chance to give it a look see...How was it?

Well, I am shutting it off for the night, gonna go rest my weary bones..Night

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday Morning,

Icer, I did try to post the Brambles recipe on Dottie's new thread, but since I had no idea how many servings, for one thing, it wouldn't let me post it until I filled that in with something.  It seems to be a good set up once you get registered on it.  I don't know if anything has already been saved on there by BDC, didn't go in looking for a recipe.  I didn't like having to give my email address again - always leery that that is somehow going to leak out.  Don't even remember what concoction I used for names, I think a breakdown of toytrumpet.

Speaking of things leaking out - on my emails this morning was a reminder from Facebook that my nephew is looking for me to join there.  I've always shied away from that, do any of you use it?  When I see what people post, I definitely would never give all that private info.  I think it's probably not for me.  I'd like to hear your experiences, if any, with it.

Icer, are you still going to put the tree up today?  Curious as to what honey devised for a watering set up.  Hope you'll post a pic, as I hope Pingo and lemoncoke will post pics of their jam brambles.

Looking out, see the grass is covered with a skirt of frost - temp on my computer says it's only 24 degrees in town.  It must have gotten really cold during the night, for the first time I woke up cold a couple of times.  Definitely ends my idea of running down for the paper.  I miss my coupons.  Haven't got the gift of my printer yet, so can't print them off that way either.  Guess it's time to change the comforter yet again to the real heavy one G.T. had made several years ago, squares of cats with a beautiful tribute to me embroidered on one end square.  --  Calls for a picture!  Not today tho, I want to see Icer's, Pingo's and lemoncoke's contributions.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Mornin' All...We set the tree up last night, we go to a place that delivers the tree..Its to benefit the High school band here in town. The kids deliver the tree and will put it in the stand if you have it ready for them. We always tip the kids but they give their tip $ to the Food Pantry. When my son was in marching band, years ago ..he used to do this too.

TT , you asked about Facebook. I have a FB account and use it often. It is great if you have relatives far away. I have 2 half sisters, they live in California and it is great to be able to see/hear about their day to day activities. Then..when we see each other(every 5 years or so) We now have things to talk about.....BUT...

Do you remember..not that long ago, you showed me how to cut and paste?
    Well , I was doing that right after I posted on Fb..and my FB post came on the screen...not what I was looking for. Good thing I check things before hitting send.

I will post a picture of our tree, but we won't decorate it til much later. Tonight our neighborhood lights up!! I can say that here without reprisal..Can't I? You know what I mean..I can post a couple of images of that ...I do really want you guys to see that PVC contraption Honey made to water the tree. He is soooo clever.

Anyway, I'm off to do a little work...I'll be back(Arnold Schw....voice)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Saw a couple of mourning doves marching up from the pond to the trough in front of the buddha - looking for water.  Then saw a cardinal at a different little watering dish looking for some.  Of course, first thing this morning I had refilled the birdbath with warm water - was anyone at that?  Of course not.  Went out with another jug and poured some in the buddha and one the cardinal was at.  The only one not covered now is the pond itself, and you can bet that's where they'll all be looking for a drink!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, I am not comfortable with Facebook.  I had an "empty" profile with NO information at all (even my name on FB was "Kar Giver") simply so I could see other people's postings.  You can set your privacy settings such that people can't find you if they search on your name; it blocks it from the search.  However, I find that their privacy settings are hard to find AND confusing to boot.  So, I abandoned the whole thing, hiding my profile completely (you cannot actually delete it once it's created).  So, bottom line, you can create a dummy account with no personal information whatsoever if you want to be able to have access to your friends' and family's pages. 

Friends, missed you all during the IL's visit, but we did have a lovely time.    They suggested going out to dinner to give me a break, which while very generous and thoughtful of them, wasn't what I had hoped for.  It's not a break to me to go out in the cold, sit in a crowded restaurant, get mediocre food, and have anyone pay a lot for it.  So, I assured them that while we appreciated the thought I'd rather cook what I had planned (and already started, actually) and serve dinner on the new tablecloth, tapers lit and our choice of dinner music.  For dinner we had braised Italian beef and vegetables on a bed of quinoa and scallions with a side of mashed potato (cook and eat version, no garlic), and raspberry pie I made with our frozen raspberries from the summer.  Every plate was practically licked clean even though they'd never had quinoa before; it was a risk, but happily everyone liked it.  Gracie was well behaved, and we enjoyed a quiet, fun evening with the tree lit and the wood stove crackling. 

Glad your mom's pie crust came out superb, flakey and light, tt.  However, speaking of Pillsbury, I've used that before, too, and it's surprisingly a lot like homemade (better than some people's lead-like crust that I have to choke down with a less than honest "Mmmm.").

Brambles - how lovely they look.  Wish I could reach in and grab a bite!!

Yes, more photos, everyone!   Love to see everyone's creations and decorations.  Isn't technology something?

DH will be home all week on vacation finishing the gutters and other assorted to-dos before the first real snow.   Then, the parties start.  Next Saturday, a friend's, the next Sunday my SIL's, then on Christmas Day, our house.

Must set about to cleaning up the mess of having company while DH is out with Gracie.  The in-laws are going with their daughter to see Andrea Bocelli tonight at the Garden and they asked me to find a good Italian restaurant they can walk to from there.  Any ideas?

Have a blessed day,
    ~kar

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sure enough - a couple of nuthatches were at the pond - walking on the ice!  Foolish birds.  Went out a few minutes ago and broke the ice up with a hammer, tho why they'd want that smelly stagnant water is beyond me.  No sooner got back in then they were back.

Sounds like a nice evening with your inlaws, Kargiver.  Lucky them going to see Andrea.  I should put a bug in someone's ear for the next time he's in town.

Hard to believe Christmas is this close.  Got one room all rearranged to my liking yesterday, and today will concentrate on setting up those baskets (photo boxes this year) and making a list of any ideas for finishing them up.  May make a batch of fudge too, since someone, was it Icer (?) said it can be frozen.

Off I go, don't want to get too comfortable in my computer chair!

P.S.  Thanks, Icer and Kargiver for your input on Facebook.  Youngest just called and I asked him about it - wrong person to ask - he posts his whole life on it anyway!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I know, lucky them, indeed; tickets were very expensive.  The in-laws are going with her and her husband.  That's how they happened to visit us last night; we're between their house and SIL's.  They'll have an unforgettable night for sure.  Dear SIL has been looking forward to this so much especially since she's been going through so much with the cancer.  I think she had been diagnosed just before they decided to see Andrea, and it's really helped to have something so exciting to focus on in the near future.  And, today's the day!

I concur with Icer that fudge freezes well in an airtight wrap.  I wrap mine in plastic wrap and then two layers of aluminum foil to make it nice and tight.

I'm still in my PJs.  DH will be home any minute...must get moving!

~kar

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The kitchen's about together, I'm dressed, and the tree is on a timer.  DH and I have been "fighting" silently about it with me plugging it in and him coming around and turning it off.  On, off, on, off, on...   Uh-oh.  It just this very second came on.  I thought I set it for 4:00...must go see what the problem is.  You'd think an engineer wouldn't have trouble with a plug in light timer, but here I am, 2 hours off.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My tree just has the lights (girl pals will decorate when they come for lunch), but I have them on when I'm in the kitchen and can look in and see the tree.  Plugged them in while I beat and beat and beat (I'd forgotten how long it takes for the fudge to "lose it's gloss"!) the batch I made this afternoon.  Now waiting for it to cool to cut.  Little disappointed in the spoon taste, somehow not as delicious and grainy as I remember from years ago.  Think I goofed on the amount of evap milk - poured the whole can in and I think it's only supposed to be 2/3's.  Plan on freezing at least 3/4' to put out Christmas.  Already have half moons (sans frosting), tollhouse cookies, fruitcake, frozen and ready to pull out.  Will do a double batch of gingerbread men (2 different days), but I don't do those til just a few days before, don't like to freeze them.

As for your tree lights coming on early, maybe DH gave in and reset the timer for you to enjoy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fudge can be tricky.  Bless you, tt, for going to the trouble.  I'm sure it will be delicious even with the extra milk.

Nope, he's been outside except for lunch.  I think I must have pushed in a few extraneous time slots when I plugged it in.  I think I've got it set right, now.

Our neighbor just came in and had some raspberry pie.  He wolfed it down like he'd never had pie before!  It was great to watch him enjoy it so much.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, really, Kargiver, how many people have had homemade raspberry pie?  One of the people at G.T.'s Thanksgiving loves to bake and talked about doing the same as I, except instead of freezing leftovers, he brings them to a group meeting.  He said it really gives him pleasure to watch their faces as they "wolf down" his baked goods.  We both agreed that most of them probably seldom if ever have any home baked goods.

Fudge passed test - couldn't wait for it to completely cool, cut a teeny tiny square, and then another little wedge, and then just to be sure - another chunk!  I'll give me until tomorrow to continue test tasting, and then will freeze the solid pan of it til Christmas.

Waiting for Pingo to post a pic of he brambles.  Do you suppose they ate them all already??

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You can never be too careful about quality control - good job, tt, with the fudge testing.  I can relate to G.T.! :)

The brambles could be gone...they wouldn't last long here!

Sections
Shortcuts