December Chat 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: December Chat 2010

I'd hurt my back carrying wood from the wood pile a couple of days ago.  How's this for a solution? :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ingenious!  My big fear would have been driving right through the glass!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

One of the Xmas decorations at casa d'Icer

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, indeed - if I were driving I'd have stopped far ahead of where he did, but he's the tractor expert!

Icer, that rocks!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

OMG, Icer!  How perfect for the two of you.

Kargiver, I thought you had driven the tractor there.  Was quite impressed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I just shot in the house to warm up..I did take more picts but I need to fool around with the camera for better shots..back to the neighbors!

Kar I will think of you as I load our wheelbarrel ^^)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, goodness, I don't drive that thing unless it's absolutely necessary.  Scares me half to death. 

We usually use the wheel barrel, too, but it's loaded up with butternut squash in the basement right now.

Just gave Gracie her Kong with peanut butter to keep her awake.  Don't want her sleeping for the night at 6:00 - she'll be up at 4!  Hate to feed her to keep her busy, but what else can we do.  I suppose I could go out in the cold and play fetch...nah.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Goodmorning ladies,
    Wow a cold morning! Our birdbath was already frozen solid before we could empty it last night. So DH took it inside. Haven't put it back out yet, too cold for me. But not to worry, yesterday we spent $$ for an electric heated one. It will attach to our railing. Our guy will come tomorrow to hook it up.
    tt, there is a nice Wild Bird store opened up on Danvers Plaza - in btw. S & S and Home Goods. Been there for a month or so. Very nice owners and so knowledgeable. I complained that I didn't see my Goldfinches. He told me they are still here, but turn greenish in the winter. So it is Goldfinches I have and not the Verios, as I thought. He also told us, that the parents go South, but the babies stay, and the ones we see now are most likely coming down from Maine.
    Sorry about the brambles, tt. No Picture. I had only one sheet of crust and got just 5 out of it. 4 I filled with the leftover plum chutney and 1 with the mixed berry jam. And of course we had a tasting party as soon they were cool enough to eat. So they were gone in no time. But they were good. Especially the plum chutney ones. It will be worth to make the chutney - just to use as filling. Yummy!

Kar, did you talk to SIL yet, about the concert yesterday? I just read the review, and he was amazing with a good mix of classic opera and lighter Christmas songs. And of course "My Prayer" and "Time to say Goodbye" (see my goose pimples). We saw/listened to him two years ago in Texas. He happened to have a concert there just before TG. It was a life experience.
    I also thought you had driven the tractor, now that your are a "heavy equipment operator". A barrel full of butternuts - wow, a lot of soup this winter.

Icer, I love your Santa biker.

Have to get going. We are getting a new book keeper today. So I must be present. The one we had has only been with us for 7 months, but her mother (the one with the anuerysme)  is now home from rehab and cannot be alone. So he gave her resignation to stay at home to take care of her. I don't blame her, I would do the same. It is just too bad for us. We liked her a lot and now we have to train a new one.

Chat later - Pingo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Why no picture, Pingo - did you forget how to do it?  I clicked on the first thing this morning, expecting to see a pic of your jam brambles.  You take a pic and then you eat them!

I'm headed out on the eternal search today.  Found even with all my T.J .'s purchases, all but my oldest son's basket is sorely in need of more filling.  Have a couple of other errands to do along the way, so hopefully it will be a successful shopping venture.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Lemoncoke, did you make up your fluffy pastries?  How did they turn out?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

No tt, I have not forgotten. But DH just came home starving, as I was taking them out of the oven. Couldn't even get to my camera, before they were gone. Will make another batch soon, when he is out. I would imagine, they would freeze well, so one could have them on hand for unexpected company.
    Just saw in TJ's flyer yesterday, they now have a "Sugar Cookie Kit", that comes with premixed "batter" (all you have to add is an egg and water or milk) - plus 4 different cookie cutters and different color sprinkles. It sells for $3.99. Maybe a thing for some of your baskets. I am planning on getting a couple for some of mine.

Good luck with your hunting. It is cold out there today, but tmw. we may have flurries. - Pingo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  Sorry I haven't posted all weekend, my laptop broke some tiem ago and I'd been using FI's at home, but he took it to Denmark with him.  Once I can get the tree up, I'll post a pic.  It's quite a big tree and I'm a little short (5'4) and I recently hurt my knee so I have to be extra careful on the chair. 

Sounds like everyone had a wonderful weekend.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Happy Mondy everyone!!

It was a busy weekend and I never even had a chance to sit at the computer.  Sorry TT and Pingo, but I find that on weekends I don't feel the urge to check-in online. I think it is because I sit at a computer all day, all week at work.  Does that make sense?  Anyhow, its not important.  I'm here now, right?

Icer - another rider!  Love the Santa.  Were you the one who had your bike painted bright pink?  I'm trying to talk DH into getting me a pink one, but he's most concerned with resale value.  Probably because he goes through bikes every other year.  I am working my way up to my long-term bike, and when I get that I hope to have a custom paintjob done.

Kar - good for you for keeping your plans on track.  I'd rather eat dinner you made than eat at a restaurant, too!  DH would LOVE a big tractor like that, but we are city folk and with only a driveway between us and the neighbors, what would we do with it?  Sometimes up in NH we rent or borrow equipment like that for big jobs.  I like driving the Bobcat around, myself!

The tree is up and partially decorated.  I will finish it tonight and bring out the rest of my house decorations.  I am making new centerpieces this year.  Usually I do vases filled with ornaments, but this year I am taking small round vases and filling them with pieces of ribbon candy.  DH started breaking the candy for me last night but I underestimated the amount I would need and have to run out for more.  I think they will look nice on a simple white tablecloth - maybe with a pillar candle in between. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I saw the same flyer, Pingo, and was thinking the same thing about tucking in a couple of the baskets where I know the girls don't do any "from scratch" cooking. 

Winter, do be careful climbing.  Weakened knees can give out so easily.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Novembride, what a clever idea for centerpieces.  You're right tho, it will take a lot of ribbon candy to fill even one.  In K-Mart the other day I saw fake ribbon candy - imagine all the stores carry it in their Christmas decorations - would that be a possibility?  I took a good size bunch of fake holly (because of cat), some with all green leaves and some varigated, and plopped them in a round collar necked vase.  Looks nice.  Haven't even attempted to bring down rest of decorations - house needs a good cleaning before I set them all up.

I can relate to your not wanting to be near a computer on the week-ends.  When I retired the boys wanted to get me a computer and I said, "No, I've been on one every day working.  Don't want to even see one!"  As soon as one of them replaced their old one tho, they were here setting up the old one, that way if I really didn't use it at all, nothing would be lost.  Now I don't know what I would do without one.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I have a couple of fake ribbon candy pieces on my tree.  The real stuff is 2 for $3 at Market Bakset, so it won't be too expensive to fill them up, or even refill them if people snack out of them at our party this weekend.  I know I was eating the little shards as DH was breaking it into pieces for me.  =)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter,
    Hope FI has a great trip to Copenhagen. It is unusual cold there right now. And they already have had more snow than ever for this time of the year. Hope FI brings back some more lovely ornaments for your tree - or just table decorations in general. When do you expect him back?
    Be careful climbing on chairs. Maybe you should wish for a small step stool  for Christmas? Not a very romantic present for sure, but it will come in handy so many times, especially with your new home. Lots of little things we women can do with a hammer and a step stool. This may seem odd, but one of the best gifts I ever received eon years ago, was a small "Lady's Tool Kit".  It has no power tools, but a few essentials. I has been with me during 3 moves. I can fix small annoying problems, w/o having to wait for DH to do them.
    - Pingo

In Response to Re: December Chat 2010:
    Good morning everyone.  Sprry I haven't posted all weekend, my laptop broke some tiem ago and I'd been using FI's at home, but he took it to Denmark with him.  Once I can get the tree up, I'll post a pic.  It's quite a big tree and I'm a little short (5/4) and I recently hurt my knee so I have to be extra careful on the chair.  Sounds like everyone had a wonderful weekend.
    Posted by Winter2011Bride

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, our new heated bird bath. Our guy came by this morning to fix it. The birds were a bit apprehensive at first, but I am sure they will love it, when everything else is frozen. It is not the prettiest thing in the world - I liked my clay saucer a lot better, but for now it will work. Come Spring we can always change it back. And it will work for me in this miserable cold. - Pingo

ETA: Filled up the original bb this morning. It froze w/i one hour. Just went out to check the new one. Not frozen, nice and lukewarm. Yeah! It is working. And I promise, this is the last you will hear about my bb. So happy we got it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

In Response to Re: December Chat 2010:
    \ Lots of little things we women can do with a hammer and a step stool. This may seem odd, but one of the best gifts I ever received eon years ago, was a small "Lady's Tool Kit". - Pingo In Response to Re: December Chat 2010 :
    Posted by pingo

So true Pingo!  My dad gave me a small toolbox full of the essentials - small hammer, wrench, screwdrivers, measuring tape, nails, etc. when I went away to college that I still have and use.  I think its important for women to know how to hang a picture, fix a door knob, fix the chain on the flusher, etc... I have been very lucky to learn from my dad, and now DH too, how to fend for myself.  Although I always appreciate when one of them does it for me.  =)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, oh those Dads. Bless them! The best teachers in the world. My father was a handyman of all sorts. Could fix anything. If he didn't know, he would find a way to do it.
    Often, when I have a problem, I will stop and think, "What would Dad do?" I am quite sure, he is watching over me. I am very fortunate DH is very similar to my Dad. But sometimes I impress him, having better ideas, than he. LOL
    I have several girlfriends, who's husband has 10 thumbs. They themselves don't have a clue and have to hire and pay someone $$$, for a job that could be done in less than 5 minutes.
    Your ability will certainly be of good use in your new home. Did you put on cool the Champagne for the 29th? So happy for you.
    - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Pingo I love that bb...This year,over the warmer months, I picked up a foot bath...I was gonna give that a whirl...pun intended

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

You'll be waiting a while for my pictures!  I am a volunteer for two organizations that take up a lot of my time.  For one, this is the busiest time, and for the other, someone who volunteered for an important job has let us down, and I am taking on some stuff that should have been finished before Thanksgiving...I'm not cooking much this week!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo, he is expected back on the 17th.  I do have a tool kit and I'm pretty handy even with a drill :).  I do have a step stool, but I'm not sure it will give me the height I need for the tree, hopefully it will. I asked him to bring me back a Danish Santa. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just got back in and picked up the most wonderful little hedgehog carrying a basket - - - for me!  It's a Storybook Garden creation, maybe 10 inches high and he was on a shelf in T.J. Maxx, smiling, just waiting for the right person to come by.  I don't know how anyone could have walked by him, he's the cutest fellow.  Faux bronze, with beautiful detail, and the sweetest little face.  How silly of me - of course - I can take a pic and post him here for you all to enjoy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, he is cute.  I'm sure he will great in your yard. 

Sections
Shortcuts