Do you remember?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Do you remember?

Taking a trip down memory lane:

I was reading the threads from mothermitzi and RG about stores and restaurants that have closed over the years. I was raised on the North Shore and wondered if anyone remembers: Salem Willows and riding the dodgems and whip and taking home a box of salt water taffy. How about Jerry's Army and Navy store, Almy's, Empire, Daniel Low's and Alice's ice cream - Hoffmanns and Burrows and Sanborn in Lynn. I used to take the train with my mom and school shop at Jordans basement and return in December for the Christmas display. We used to love the hotdogs and cokes at Woolworths. Drive in movies on route 114 and Adventure Car Hop. We used to go to Anthony's in Lynn for delicious chicken supreme. There was also Rolands and HoJo's.

Fun memories

putt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLIPPERY-EEL. Show SLIPPERY-EEL's posts

Do you remember?

putt

I think I remember an Almy's in Beverly.
    Salem Willows had one of those photo machines, where you get 4 small photos for a dollar, that took black and whites that made no matter who sat for a photo look absolutely stunningly handsome or beautiful depending. Everyone's photo came out looking like they had a deep tan, perfect teeth and Newbury Street haircuts.
    I once went to the drive-in on 114 in a '56 two tone Packard that was still in pristine condition.
    I miss the Woolworth's in Harvard Square and having grilled cheese sandwiches and raspberry lime rickeys at the Bailey's next door.
    Did you ever go for trail rides at the Silver Star Star Stables in Manchester?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Do you remember?

Oh, Putt! Jordan's - when the Christmas display was inside, upstairs, and took up the better part of a floor.

SE - Yes, Bailey's in Harvard Square!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Do you remember?

Hi Everybody -

Putt, this is a great thread! Apparently, we have a couple of Bailey's aficionados on this board. I rarely went to the Bailey's in HS but I went to the Temple Place/Winter Street Bailey's all the time. There was also an entrance to this location from Tremont Street. You passed by a greeting card display. The ice-cream shop was on one side and their candy store on the Temple Place side. Good thing they put your sundae on a tray because that's where most of the hot fudge ended up! I also loved their butterscotch. I used to work in a bank next door and went to Bailey's everyday. Most of the time, I had coffee and a toasted bagel. However, every Friday, I indulged in a sundae.

The Christmas display at Jordan Marsh was called the Enchanted Village, and if I recall correctly, it was on the seventh floor. It was wonderful, exhibited at a time when department stores were independently owned and valued you as a customer. Jordans did window displays, too, and they put a large nativity display on the Summer Street ledge. Filene's also had beautiful windows. The Enchanted Village was split up and ended up in various malls. Some of it went to North Shore Mall. I saw it there once and thought, how sad. Occasionally, I see some of the figurines on ebay. Does anybody remember live reindeer on the Common? The city lined the walkways with lighted trees and the animals were in pens. I think I remember that, although it was the 60's and we know what that was like!!

Putt, how about the Ship Restaurant on Route One? We would go there on special occasions. I can't bear it when I drive by today. The building itself is ruined by the additions, etc... Last time I drove by I noticed it's called The Ship again. And of course, The Town Line House. Weren't they famous for pecan rolls or something like that?

The only drive-ins I went to were in Medford on Route 16 - Meadow Glen and Richard's. Went to a couple in Maine on route 302. Never on the north shore though.

Thanks for the memories!

mothermitzi

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Do you remember?

Good morning Slipperyeel

I also remember Almy's in Beverly - was it on Cabot Street by the Y. Oh those photo machines were amazing. Sure could use them today. I also remember the arcade and so many pin ball machines. I never did go to the stables in Manchester.

Good to hear your feedback -

putt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Do you remember?

Hi reindeergirl

The Jordan's display made my whole Christmas. We would get all dressed up and my family made it such a special day. I remember coming home one Christmas and I think they had moved it to Government Center.

Speaking of Jordan's - How about their Blueberry muffins?

putt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Do you remember?

Hi mothermitzi

Good to hear from you. Hope you had a wonderful time in CT />

You are right - Enchanted Village - as I said to reindeergirl it was always such a special time for me. I also remember the reindeer in the common - I was fascinated. The only live animals I ever remember seeing was at Benson's animal farm - think that was somewhere in NH.

The Ship - yes, for very special occasions only. Loved it~ Each time I go to the Christmas tree shop I think of it. The Town Line was always the place for dinner before the prom. Then after the name changed it was quite the place for wedding receptions and baby showers.

I have so much running around to do today and it is so miserable. On the bright side, it could be snow.

Enjoy your day

putt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

Do you remember?

What a fun thread! Who remembers the amusements on Revere Beach, especially the Cyclone and the Virginia Reel? Joe and Nemo's 5 cent hot dogs and 10 cent (boiled) burgers? Reading the marquis to see who was coming to the Frolics or the Surf? Richardson's Ice Cream on the Lynn/Nahant line? Daniel Fuller House on Rt 114, the Red Coach Grille, and what was the name of that "Dial-a-Dance" place on Route 1?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Do you remember?

Hi easydoesit

I don't remember Dial A Dance but how about Totem Pole - We used to go there to dance but sometimes they would have entertainment. We saw Peter, Paul and Mary and also The Kingston Trio. How about Wonderland Ballroom -Loved Revere Beach - could never understand why they ever tore it down.

putt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLIPPERY-EEL. Show SLIPPERY-EEL's posts

Do you remember?

mm,

I remember the Bailey's downtown, but I mostly frequented the one on Boylston Street. I worked in Park Square and would cut through the Park Square Building, cross V. Alley and enter by the back door. Going through boxes of old letters the other day, I came across a red plastic chocolate cigarette case from Bailey's.
    I used to meet my father for lunch at Slagle's near Post Office Sq.
    Anyone ever go into the Pewter Pot on Tremont Street opposite the Common? I may have poured your coffee.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLIPPERY-EEL. Show SLIPPERY-EEL's posts

Do you remember?

I also remember the reindeer in pens on the Common at Xmas time. When I got out of work after midnight at Pewter Pot I had to cross the Common to get home and I brought them left over carrot cake muffins once, But I don't think they ate them.

I remember an agricultural exposition on the Commons once when I was four. I had my picture in the Globe the next day being slurpped by a cow.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

Do you remember?

[Quote]Hi easydoesit

I don't remember Dial A Dance but how about Totem Pole - We used to go there to dance but sometimes they would have entertainment. We saw Peter, Paul and Mary and also The Kingston Trio. How about Wonderland Ballroom -Loved Revere Beach - could never understand why they ever tore it down.

putt[/Quote]

I seem to remember the name of it being the Flamingo Lounge. It was on Rt 1 South where the Burger King is now, near Square One Mall in Saugus. I never went to the Totem Pole, but my wife and I would go to Wonderland to practice the dances we learned at Dr. Gordon's Lynn studio.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLIPPERY-EEL. Show SLIPPERY-EEL's posts

Do you remember?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Do you remember?

[Quote]mm,

I remember the Bailey's downtown, but I mostly frequented the one on Boylston Street. I worked in Park Square and would cut through the Park Square Building, cross V. Alley and enter by the back door. Going through boxes of old letters the other day, I came across a red plastic chocolate cigarette case from Bailey's.
    I used to meet my father for lunch at Slagle's near Post Office Sq.
    Anyone ever go into the Pewter Pot on Tremont Street opposite the Common? I may have poured your coffee.[/Quote]

I remember the one on Boylston, near Shreve, Crump & Low, right? I remember Slagle's. There was an entrance on Milk Street and another on Water Street alley. I used to go to Penn's Pub on Bromfield Street. They had the best lunch there. I remember the Pewter Pot chain. There was a Mug n' Muffin along Tremont Street, too. I'm glad other people remember the reindeer. Wouldn't want to blame my vivid memories on any kind of illicit substance!

Remember any places in the old Park Square before they tore down Trailways and put up the Transportation Building? There was a Hayes Bickford there, I think. The Playboy Club was on the corner of Boylston and Charles. I remmeber driving by with the kids and hearing giggles from the boys as we passed the image of the bunny on the brick wall. Now it's the Four Seasons. There was a bar there (one of many) called the Hillbilly Ranch. Recently I walked through the Park Square Building, which has not changed a lot. There are still a lot of stores along the first floor. That is a lovely building.

mothermitzi

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Do you remember?

[Quote]Hi reindeergirl

The Jordan's display made my whole Christmas. We would get all dressed up and my family made it such a special day. I remember coming home one Christmas and I think they had moved it to Government Center.

Speaking of Jordan's - How about their Blueberry muffins?

putt[/Quote]

Hi putt -

I have seen the muffin recipe in the paper and cut it out. When the Chat was printed in the Globe, there were requests for the recipe all the time. That said, I have never been able to duplicate that lovely sugar crusted top. Some things you can't replicate. The downtown bakery was on the first floor of the Annex. The floors were wooden and creaked as you walked along. The bakery was near the book and record departments. I still have some records I bought at Jordans. They were priced by letter, and some of the jackets still have the stamp on them. Gilchrists was across the street and they made great macaroons!

I better get back to work. All this talk about muffins and macaroons is tempting me!

mothermitzi

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Do you remember?

I used to work in Boston and had many lunches at Schraffts (? sp) - I would imagine that's gone too. I remember the Pewter Pot but my first time inside one was during a visit to the Cape.

putt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ManOnTheSilverMountain. Show ManOnTheSilverMountain's posts

Do you remember?

Rock'n, rock'n'roll radio Let's go

Do you remember Hullabaloo,
    Upbeat, Shinding and Ed Sullivan too?
    Do you remember rock'n'roll radio?
    Do you remember rock'n'roll radio?

Do you remember Murray the K,
    Alan Freed, and high energy?
    It's the end, the end of the 70's
    It's the end, the end of the century

Do you remember lying in bed
    With your covers pulled up over your head?
    Radio playin' so no one can see
    We need change, we need it fast
    Before rock's just part of the past
    'Cause lately it all sounds the same to me
    Oh oh oh oh, oh oh

Will you remember Jerry Lee,
    John Lennon, T. Rex and OI Moulty?
    It's the end, the end of the 70's
    It's the end, the end of the century

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Do you remember?

Not sure if that is a poem from MotSM or an actual song! Good job. Speaking of radio - anyone out there remember Woo Woo Ginsberg? How about Cherry Hill Farm in Danvers. We used to go there on field trips in grade school. I can remember having a very hard time drinking their milk with my lunch. The teacher kept stressing the fact it couldnt be any fresher as it just came straight from those cows.

putt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLIPPERY-EEL. Show SLIPPERY-EEL's posts

Do you remember?

Does anyone remember WV something something, the radio station in Gloucester that played classical music? It was a one man show, an old Jewish guy in his basement. You could hear the toilet flush in the background and sometimes he would curse when neighborhood kids rang the doorbell and ran. Sy Spaulding in Manchester spent big bucks trying to take it away from the guy so he could broadcast local sports games.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Do you remember?

Oh what a fun thread. Thank you putt!
    Since I am not a "native", I can't add much - but I do remember many of the places you guys are mentioning. The Enchanted Village was the best - for child and adult alike. I also remember Woolworth downtown. I bought lots of my kitchen stuff there, when I first arrived here.
    And then there was Filene's Basement. I am surprised no one mentioned that one. I was like a child in a candy store. I still have some of the towels, I bought there - except they are now rags. The first Christmas I was here, I went crazy buying all kind of Christmas gifts for my family back home in FB.
    The original Ship was great. Had many dinners there. But the last time we went there, we took a couple for kind of marriage mediation. They are now divorced. So sad. Then it became Mediteranian something - and now it is The Ship again. We went there once, but it is not the same at all.
    Yes, I do remember The Town Line House. Had many dinners there - since it is near to our home. We even went to a wedding reception there. It was lovely.
    Does anyone remember the old kiosk at Harvard Square? One could buy newspapers from any corner of the world. We used to go there late Saturday nights and buy the Sunday Globe. Had reading material for the intire week.
    They have since moved it and made it a "building" - but the latest I heard is, that the ovners (Hudson) it not going to renew their lease, which expires on Jan. 31 - so I guess that one will be gone too.
    Such a nice trip down memory lane. - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLIPPERY-EEL. Show SLIPPERY-EEL's posts

Do you remember?

I remember the old kiosk well. And the old Harvard T station in detail. Anyone remember the long steep bus ramp?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Do you remember?

[Quote]Not sure if that is a poem from MotSM or an actual song! Good job. Speaking of radio - anyone out there remember Woo Woo Ginsberg? How about Cherry Hill Farm in Danvers. We used to go there on field trips in grade school. I can remember having a very hard time drinking their milk with my lunch. The teacher kept stressing the fact it couldnt be any fresher as it just came straight from those cows.

putt[/Quote]

yes, I remember Arnie "the Woo-Woo" Ginsberg, but what about "Juicy Brucie" Bradley and Dick Summer? Anyone remember Summer reading "The Highwayman" by Alfred Noyes on his Sunday Night show on WBZ? And all the Folk Music he played in the Sixties? And the WCRB Saturday Night show that played Peter Cook and Dudley Moore (before he became a movie star), Anna Russell, and similar comedy stuff?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLIPPERY-EEL. Show SLIPPERY-EEL's posts

Do you remember?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Do you remember?

Yes, I remember the long bus ramp, as well as the red line trains, which were actually blue! I remember when the new silver ones came along in the early 70's. They were air-conditioned. What a relief!

Hadn't thought about Dick Summer and 'The Highwayman' for a long time. I loved Carl DeSuze from WBZ, too. However, most of the time, my dial was set on WHDH because I loved to listen to Jess Cain. I remember him singing his version of Winchester Cathedral. What a card he was.

mothermitzi

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Do you remember?

i REMEMBER a lot of things since i am possibly much older than most here. How about the old Beef N'Ale Restaurant, Boston.

I recall swimming in the Arlington Res. all female lifegaurds during WW II.

i remember air raid during WWII and rationing. Gas wars that put the gas price down to about .19 a gallon, really.

I remember my grandfather working a garden in a plot of land behind Bow St. in Arlington...there are apart,ment buildings there now I think.

I remember the train that came out of North Station that ran out to Arlington and Lexington.

Well that's just for starters.